Feedback Math

datedsoul

Experienced
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Posts
39
Greetings all.

I'm a new author, and I'm trying to get a better understanding of how and why people give feedback and ratings. So far, it seems that the more comments I get, the WORSE my scores are for my stories.

My Holiday story has netted some excellent public and private feedback, yet it has the worst score of anything I've done so far. I wonder if maybe that's just a case of poor classification. I posted Peppermint Martini in Erotic Couplings, because, to me, it doesn't really have a romantic set-up.

http://www.literotica.com/s/the-peppermint-martini-miracle

My "Push Me" series is a long, romantic series, even though some parts may seem a bit questionable for the "Romance" section.
http://www.literotica.com/s/push-me-ch-01
http://www.literotica.com/s/push-me-ch-02
http://www.literotica.com/s/push-me-ch-03
http://www.literotica.com/s/push-me-ch-04

So, questions for anyone that wants to take the time to answer them.
1. Am I getting dinged for my chosen category?
2a. Am I getting dinged for writing a longer story with no sex until the very end?
2b. Would it have been rated better with the "not a quick fix" disclaimer?
3. Have you noticed people comment more on stories if you bum for comments at the beginning?

I understand that, ultimately, as long as I am happy with my work (which I am), the opinions of others can only be a secondary consideration, but I am trying to improve my craft, and I would love some specific feedback in that regard. And, as I saw another author say at the beginning of a submission, "I'm a whore for comments."

Thanks for your time,

DS
 
It can be hard to judge just what scores you're getting, I find. The two stories I recently put up have had combinations of 5s, 4s and 1s and 2s. They are what Brits call Marmite! people seem to love them or hate them and in the end I get an average score.
I find the comments more helpful as I assume people might use those to give feedback on how to improve (I do that) although they also do it to encourage you to write some more if they like your stuff.
Did you use a volunteer editor? I did try to for my first one but she never replied to my request for advice although I'm sure most volunteer editors are much more supportive. I couldn't be bothered to wait around and find a new one so I just shoved my story up and it did well so I've never done it since. but if you're looking for an objective assessment, I would do that.
xxx
 
I assume by holiday story that you're talking about one entered in the contest.

Contest stories are always dinged by over-competitive authors, overzealous fans, and just plain assholes.

The good news is that once the submission period ends, you'll begin to see sweeps -- a script that removes votes considered illigitimate. Almost every story in the contest makes a fair-sized score leap once all the sweeps have run.

Contest stories also tend to draw more comments, on average.

Multi-chapter stories also tend to go up in score while going down in votes and views as they progress. Those who don't like the story tend to drop off, leaving behind only those who are enjoying it and likely to vote high.

Trying to compare a multi-chapter to a one shot just isn't going to work. They're two different animals. Comparing to an unswept contest story makes it even more of a fool's errand.

You're better off requesting votes and comments at the end of the story, because the voting form and the comment section are right there.
 
Last edited:
Editor

I count myself very lucky to have a wonderful and supportive volunteer editor that I found right here on Lit. Aside from the first story, which I posted without an editor in a trigger-happy moment, I haven't gotten any negative feedback really.

And I agree with the love it or hate it issue. Oh well, can't please them all. Maybe we should propose to the admins that you can't score a story a 1 without providing feedback. ;)
 
Thanks for the info, Darkniciad. I'll cross my fingers and wait for the contest to end.
 
I count myself very lucky to have a wonderful and supportive volunteer editor that I found right here on Lit. Aside from the first story, which I posted without an editor in a trigger-happy moment, I haven't gotten any negative feedback really.

And I agree with the love it or hate it issue. Oh well, can't please them all. Maybe we should propose to the admins that you can't score a story a 1 without providing feedback. ;)

It would be helpful to have a breakdown of the votes so you know you got some 5s, not just a string of 3s! However, according to a post further down this is still the best site for getting any feedback at all on your writing.

I publish on Smashwords too and it's like getting blood out of a vampire to get any feedback there!

Keep writing!

xxx
 
Are you joking?

Your scores at stratospheric! You are not getting dinged. It is ridiculous to expect unbroken strings of 5.00 stories. Heck, some people don't like Mona Lisa. A 4.75 score means than for every 3 people voting you a 5, and 1 votes you a 4. That is truly awesome. My highest rated story is rated lower than you your second lowest story.

Jealous.
 
One thing I've noticed is that my scores track pretty closely with the amount of sex in the stories. Doing romance, sex isn't the main focus and sometimes I don't spend a lot of time on it. More sex=higher scores.
 
I assume by holiday story that you're talking about one entered in the contest.

Contest stories are always dinged by over-competitive authors, overzealous fans, and just plain assholes.

The good news is that once the submission period ends, you'll begin to see sweeps -- a script that removes votes considered illigitimate. Almost every story in the contest makes a fair-sized score leap once all the sweeps have run.

You were completely right! I thought there was some odd voting going on with my story but I decided to wait patiently till the competition was over. There have indeed been some scores cleaned off it with adjustment of my rating.
Thanks for that, it was very reassuring.
 
You were completely right! I thought there was some odd voting going on with my story but I decided to wait patiently till the competition was over. There have indeed been some scores cleaned off it with adjustment of my rating.
Thanks for that, it was very reassuring.

Don't rest on your laurels just yet. If you have a personal troll who's doing any dinging, they may very well come right back and try again. Of course, it will probably just get swept again, but some are stupid and persistant enough to keep trying :p

Not to mention that the final day or two of voting is prime time for people to come out and start trying to change the outcome by down-voting all the competition to their favorite.

Again, they'll probably just get swept.

This is why we call the contests the "roller coaster"

Until the final sweep is run and the winners are announced, your score will probably be all over the place.
 
I've noticed a few sweeps, but so far they've had minimal impact. I finally cleared 4.6, but I'm still sad that my Holiday entry is my lowest ranked story. Oh well. Does Lit usually do an April Fools contest? I have a story in mind that would be perfect for that.
 
I've noticed a few sweeps, but so far they've had minimal impact. I finally cleared 4.6, but I'm still sad that my Holiday entry is my lowest ranked story. Oh well. Does Lit usually do an April Fools contest? I have a story in mind that would be perfect for that.

Nope, the April contest is Earth Day.

Or, it always has been. Won't know for sure until Laurel posts the contest schedule for 2013.
 
yes db is correct - historically LITEROTICA runs an Earth Day Contest in April. Hopefully though this theme will be put out to pasture for a year or two...

Meanwhile A.I.R. last year did have an April contest and although no final decision has been taken it is likely this contest will continue for another year...

Will this contest come back? T.B.A.


[size=+2]ASSOCIATION of INDEPENDENT READERS (A.I.R.)[/size]

A.I.R. 2012 Sexy April Contest


tumblr_lhz6rxmfup1qg39ewo1_500.gif
 
This message is hidden because ScouriesWorld is on your ignore list.

Someone must really be getting bored now that everyone has put him on ignore. He's to the point of having to actually post on "other" threads.

Funny as hell but do remember he is the biggest liar on Lit so take anything he says with a dose of assburn and a grain of salt peter. :D
 
Justified by Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett has proven in his Discworld series that the use of multiple exclamation points at the end of a sentence is the sign of a deranged mind.

I think the same can be said of flagrant use of the "center" HTML tag. Sound like someone we all know and love to ignore?
 
Oh I'm sorry datedsoul that this is your lowest score - although still lots better than mine you swine! but I'm also relieved because I got some nice feedback on my story and was disappointed to get so few votes. Now I can fondly imagine that's just a competition story thing.
I think the story voting is over so hopefully there won't be anyone trying to come in and undermine my scores any more? I don't think I have anyone who personally wants to take out all my stuff. There was some odd voting on my non-competition story but I assumed that was because it was Gay Male and the girls who like boys liked it but the boys who like boys thought it was fluffy slippers and silly girly stuff (although I hurriedly assure anyone who wants to read it that I had it test driven by gay guys and it's full of swinging schlongs! with no bunny slippers in sight).
 
Back
Top