Setting the Record Straight or another music thread by J

Here's the thing, I'm not a huge Nickleback fan. That said, I think there's something to be said about their music; they have mass appeal (not here evidently) and several songs that became extremely popular.

Is that the issue? The popularity? Are we shunning the sheeple's music?

I just took a little more crap from a friend here about the whole issue. Seeing as how I do not own any of their songs, I had to YouTube search for them. (Notice how I don't possess any of their music, you judgy folks). And, yeah, I like their songs, some of them quite a lot. Have I gone to a concert? Nope. (Although while conducting my mini-research on them I learned they opened for Bon Jovi once - I'd have gone to that).

In another conversation with this same friend, I noticed that he is of the one favorite song variety and that favorite song never changes. I, on the other hand, like a wide variety of music and my favorite song changes frequently (maybe this musical mindset allows me to like what you all loathe).

So, I am curious. Not about your lack of love for Nickelback, but about your favorite songs. Specifically, are you fiercely loyal to one or a few favorites or would you be hard pressed to even name a favorite? What do you think this says about your personality?

Oooh, a music thread!! :nana:

Meh, Nickleback I can take it or leave it. I personally find they try too hard to be all introspective and stuff, but there are a few good songs by them that I listen to.

To answer your question: it depends. :D

Like you, I have an eclectic taste in music - it has been pointed out that my music lists are schizophrenic, and I'm honestly okay with that. I have a couple of all-time favourites (Loreena McKennitt, or Pearl's Girl by Underworld or Rainbow Connection for example), but I also have a couple of 'new' favourites (I'm really really digging 'Here With Me' by Susie Suh and Robot Koch and "If I Had a Heart" by Fever Ray). Whether or not these 'new' favourites will make my all-time favourites lists will depend on the memories that I associate with the song.

What it says about my personality? That while I like the stuff I like, I am more than willing to try new things. In other words: I'm open minded :D

Last edited:
I enjoy an incredibly broad and diverse range of music, if you looked through my play list you'd see everything from classical all the way up to the latest music forms. Broadly speaking I tend to appreciate accompanying music to film scores, games etc. I don't really see how anyone can complain about anyone's choice of music, like sheering at your choice in food, in the colours you like, ridiculous.

To anyone reading this, you may not not listen to the music I like, but it doesn't matter, you keep on enjoying the things you like and to hell with anyone who says differently.

Being who I am and how old I am, my favorites are many and I guess diverse in nature.

First let me say, I grew up with the Beach Boys, Dave Clark Five and of course the Beatles. Are any of my favorites by them? No, although they all have good songs that I liked one time or another.

Current #1 Song, the one I always click on to play when I open media player...

For some reason it's December by Collective Soul.

#2 - Layla by Eric Clapton ( the mellow version, not the heavy metal version )

#3 - Crazy Train by Ozzy Osborne

#4 - Our House in the Middle of the Street by The Talking Heads

and finally...

#5 - Jenny Take a Ride with Me by Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels

Eclectic for sure and some change without notice on a whim. :D

Enjoy. :cool:

JtohisPB said:
So, I am curious. Not about your lack of love for Nickelback, but about your favorite songs. Specifically, are you fiercely loyal to one or a few favorites or would you be hard pressed to even name a favorite? What do you think this says about your personality?

Not a fan of the Nickelback, I'm afraid - though travelling in a car with my friend and her little kiddies in the backseat, hearing one of them burst out singing "I like your pants around your feet"? Was worth it seeing the look on her face :eek: then hearing her mumble something along the lines of "I told him not to listen to that stuff in the car with them :devil: "

I would say I'm fiercely loyal to two songs which are my favourites - no matter what my mood, they fit perfectly - and I have favourite artists but mostly the stuff I listen to varies. I have eclectic tastes - classical, blues, rock, pop, top 40, indie, gospel, country. Just whatever floats my boat at the time, I guess.

Not a fan of the Nickelback, I'm afraid - though travelling in a car with my friend and her little kiddies in the backseat, hearing one of them burst out singing "I like your pants around your feet"? Was worth it seeing the look on her face :eek: then hearing her mumble something along the lines of "I told him not to listen to that stuff in the car with them :devil: "

I would say I'm fiercely loyal to two songs which are my favourites - no matter what my mood, they fit perfectly - and I have favourite artists but mostly the stuff I listen to varies. I have eclectic tastes - classical, blues, rock, pop, top 40, indie, gospel, country. Just whatever floats my boat at the time, I guess.
There is so much music that I love, and I am always finding new stuff that I like and yet always seeking more. Certain music can evoke powerful emotions or memories for me, so I try not to overplay those pieces as I don't want them to lose their magic on me.

I'm not tied to any one genre or era, but I'm old enough and had enough experiences to have listened to quite a variety in my life. Some of the songs I love I might be slightly embarrassed to admit liking! But I do believe that everyone's taste in music is valid for them, for their life, even if it is tempting to make easy judgements about someone based on their musical preferences.

(As an aside... I must be living under a rock as I really can't say I know much about Nickleback, but perhaps they just aren't as popular in the midwest US for some reason?)

Here's the thing, I'm not a huge Nickleback fan. That said, I think there's something to be said about their music; they have mass appeal (not here evidently) and several songs that became extremely popular.

Is that the issue? The popularity? Are we shunning the sheeple's music?

I just took a little more crap from a friend here about the whole issue. Seeing as how I do not own any of their songs, I had to YouTube search for them. (Notice how I don't possess any of their music, you judgy folks). And, yeah, I like their songs, some of them quite a lot. Have I gone to a concert? Nope. (Although while conducting my mini-research on them I learned they opened for Bon Jovi once - I'd have gone to that).

In another conversation with this same friend, I noticed that he is of the one favorite song variety and that favorite song never changes. I, on the other hand, like a wide variety of music and my favorite song changes frequently (maybe this musical mindset allows me to like what you all loathe).

I know you said this isn't about Nickelback, but I'm going to use this opportunity to rant about Nickelback because I'm in a shitty mood. And who better to take it out on that Chad and his curly locks?

For me, it isn't that Nickelback songs are inherently horrible in themselves. I don't like them. But, if I just heard one song, it wouldn't be a big deal. I'd just dislike it and move on.

Here is an example of why I hate them so:

How You Remind Me Of Someday

I don't care if they are popular. I just care that their songs are formulas. It's all the same stuff. And those two songs are the same in every way. They don't sound similar. They sound the same. It's like a formula. I know exactly how they write a song. I can tell. They say, "Let's use these chords for a verse, this for the chorus, this for the bridge. We will put builds here, here and here. Now we need some lyrics." That's a bad way to write a song. Instead, someone should write a song because they have a reason to write a song. Not because they need a new album. My favourite artist, Damien Rice, is about to release a new album. It's been like 8 years since he released an album. And I have no doubt this album will kick arse. He didn't just write to write. He did it because he had a story to tell.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I like so many different things my Pandora stations are confused. I've recently started putting a song of the week in my signature. I started with Santigold, then put Edward Sharp & the Magnetic Zeros, and now it's Streetlight Manifesto. I like a lot of different music.

I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite, because it changes. There are songs, like the one in my sig from Streetlight that I will always love. But my moods change and I tend to go with it. Deep down I'm still a ska kid skanking in a circle pit, I just look like a lady now. ^_−☆

What it says about my personality? That while I like the stuff I like, I am more than willing to try new things. In other words: I'm open minded :D

Agreed.

I am a super passionate music freak. There are favorites that I am steadfastly loyal to, both in songs and artists. I actually have favorite songs that I will listen to on repeat to this day and they've been favorites for 20-30 years.

I couldn't pass up on diversity, or the great love of a new favorite song, though, just to stick to the tried and true. Music is my life.

This made me think of this thread when I saw it. It's not directed at Nickelback, however, there is a lot of "music" that it is very well suited to

tumblr_n6qpcjZTYs1sou3h1o1_500.jpg

Nickelback are Canadian and up here most people refer to them as Nickelcrap. Most probably because they sound like another forgotten band called Creed.
I can listen to jazz, blues, oldies rock, classic rock, hard rock, metal, I even love early 30's & '40's female singers. Just can't stand hip hop, most country and pop top 40 corporate trash (sheeple's music) .

Favorite songs? I'd rather list bands like Faith No More, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Santana, Queen, AC/DC, System of a Down, White Zombie, Slayer, Pantera, Dead Kennedy's, early Van Halen, Cavalera Conspiracy, Lamb of God, Rolling Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughn off the top of my head.

Nickelback are Canadian and up here most people refer to them as Nickelcrap. Most probably because they sound like another forgotten band called Creed.

I feel like someone just shot me right through the heart.

Die-hard Creed fan here. Nickelback could never even come close to the magic between Mark Tremonti and Scott Stapp. *sigh*

I feel like someone just shot me right through the heart.

Die-hard Creed fan here. Nickelback could never even come close to the magic between Mark Tremonti and Scott Stapp. *sigh*

I can kick his ass for you. :)

L:rose:

tumblr_nblntee9WD1rsxqqio1_400.gif

It's a bit sad when people say there is no good music today. If you listen strictly to commercial radio than its true. People who believe that just are not listening in the right places. Having treasured favorite songs is great but being open to new artists and even old artists coming out with new work makes life interesting.

BTW- new Damien Rice album coming out.

You should try living in my shoes.

I'm a Brit that thinks The Beatles were just, at best, an average band that got a REALLY good PR guy.

My music tastes are all over the show. My one big thing is that I don't tend to like 'Bands' rather I like 'Songs'. U2 are not that good but 'Where the streets have no name' is awesome. 99% of what REM have put out is 'Meh' but 'Losing My Religion is one of my favorite songs' and I will only listen to about half of what Prodigy have put out there.

I won't even say I like one Genre. I don't like all metal, I don't like all pop....I'm a big 80s fan but most of it was just utter drivel.

This is me all over. The one single 'Band' I will automatically buy any new stuff is Ozric Tentacles. Its the only band where I will just put on a CD and press play and listen to the whole thing.

Here in the UK I listen to Radio 2 a lot because it seems to fit my tastes... And I think that officially classes me as 'Old' :D

j quoth:
now, a couple songs that grace the soundtracks of john hughes films also played; best not knock those! i nearly posted about them in the guilty pleasures thread over in the BDSM cafe, but i actually do not find them to fit. i love them; i proudly (and rather loudly) sing along to "if you leave" and "don't you (forget about me)."
remind me to share a spotify playlist with you that you'll probably love, then. :D

[i've probably told this before but my memory sucks.]

true story, years ago my wife & i were walking out of a music shop, back when that was still something people actually did. a pair of teens were walking in as we were leaving and i overheard one tell the other, "omg, 80s music is, like, the best music evar!"

i still miss what we used to call 80s new wave and it pains me every time yet another commercial features one of those tunes.

kalamain quoth:
i'm a brit that thinks the beatles were just, at best, an average band that got a really good PR guy.
i agree, i think they're hideously overrated.

i'm from new jersey in the US, and i don't get the big deal about sinatra, or the rest of the rat pack. or bon jovi, for that matter. springsteen, OTOH, is a personal hero.

ed

Back