"Rebuild": A Zombie Survival RP

Deacon

Sometimes I steal, I usually don't, but this one time I stole for a good reason. What did I steal? A number from a cellphone. Evening found me far from where I had gotten off, I sat with my back to a wall, bottle of Jack next to me and a pistol next to me as I typed:

I never got to tell you about myself. I grew up a survivalist, my life was hard, you can imagine bootcamp from the day you could start to understand words. I was trained to survive when nuclear winter ends life as we know it. I have studied more things about the world after I finished school via internet, all I know is what I have been taught or studied. I wish there was more to my life than that, but that is basically me. That and the fact that you are the first woman to ever take an interest in me. Take care of yourself. Deacon."

With that done I hit the sent button, the delivery report came through:

"Delivered: Derry"

Followed a few seconds later by the beeps of a shutting down cellphone due to battery loss. With a sigh I slipped the phone into a pocket and picked up the whiskey to take a few swallows.
 
Winery

Troy and the others had been working there butts off at the winery. The fence at the rear parking lot had been extended out and reinforced and a large gate made out of wood. It opened outwards otherwise it would be hard to open if they brought anything like a bus or large truck but it worked well. They had also decided to follow some of Ria's ideas. They had gone out and found two of the tractors they used on the farm and had ripped up the vines for one clear bow shot all the way around them. It had taken them awhile as they had to light several bonfires for each plot they did on the oft chance that Zombies would show up. They did but on only three occasions and only a few. Hopefully they were going to continue this way.

With a large field of vision they had started work on a large ditch/moat around the hotel itself. So far they had completed half of it. The whole front now had a 4' wide by 7' deep trench surrounding it. They had wooden bridges over it at strategic places but these could be pulled back easily. Troy was even thinking about making metal caltrops and dropping them in it.

So far twenty bows had been made and tested. 500 arrows were fletched and ready to go but Brett had only just finished making his arrow head mold and had only churned out 100 heads. He was confident he would keep up once his second mold was finished though.

The leather gloves for the bowman had been made and they really needed them. They had raided the grand piano for the strings for the bow strings and they worked great. Shoot with them more than twice in your bare hands and they ripped them apart.

They had placed the new supplies in the cool room and had bone out on a food run themselves retrieving some fresh honey, and some of the smoked goods, as well as fresh fruit from the trees. Once the Knight's people got here they might be able to harvest some of the crops.

Finally there was a lull in what people had to do, with just the trench being dug and guards watching. Troy remembered something and dug out his wallet although why he kept carrying the thing he couldn't explain. Habit he guessed. Pulling out Cassie's number he decided he would give her a call, after all why not, it was the end of the world. What did he have to loose?

Dialing the number he waited until he finally heard someone pick up and a female voice say "Hello"
"Hi is this Cassie, It's Troy from the Winery. Just wondering if you still wanted to go on that Starbucks run with me. Things are pretty quiet here at the moment so I am pretty much free if you wanted to do it today?"
 
Cassie on a date ... you know this is not going to end well!!

I had a date! Awesome! Troy finally called me back. I guess people from Australia do things a bit different … by different I mean … s l o w e r. But he called that was the important part. Now first thing is first … I need to wear something nice … but not too fancy and preferably not smelling like cow shit.

Speaking about cow shit … I can’t believe Ria asked Derry and I to stay behind at the farm. I hated farming! Of course I never told her that, but she should have figured it out. How you might ask? Signs … secret female signs … like the way I washed the dishes last night. She should have figured it out by the way I was banging them around. Angry about farming. But I’m off the subject. What to wear?



I went up to Cramer’s closet and dug through his clothing. I found nothing but there was some pink pajamas (cramer's wife). If I wore my pink bikini top under my black leather jacket ... I’d have just the right look. Or at else I hoped Troy would think so! I had one small problem … my 9 mm hand gun. It made bulges where there should be no bulges. So I took it off and slipped it into the small of my back. Only if Troy looked at my butt … would he see the gun. That thought made me laugh … “Does this hand gun make my butt look big?”

Step two … I forgot … oh shit … what was step two ?? I had not been on a real date in over two years. Not since I had split up with Axe. There was another pun for you … Axe and split up … LOL. Anyhow the biker guy I had met at the silver dollar strip club name was really Axe. He had been a big jerk. Go figure ... a biker in a strip club a jerk. Notify the Washington post. The guy just wanted to have sex with me … and nothing else. What a loser.

There was no way Troy was going to be like that. He looked successful. He had made it from Australia all the way to Oregon … that is a huge accomplishment. And he looked way too nice … and that voice … MMMMM. Anyhow, let’s see …maybe step 2 had to do with transportation. I could drive one of Cramer’s trucks … but that was too ordinary. I needed my good car for this date. Bad news it was over by the Knight. I needed to get it. That would make a good impression on him. Now how to get over to the Knight with minimal questions.

Quick supply trip … no biggie. Refresh on my pickle supply. I skipped down the stairs and poked my head in the living room. Nobody was around. Prefect. I left a note on the kitchen counter.

“Went out for some pickles … be back before supper
XOXO
Cassie”​

I went outside and got in the truck and took off towards the knight. The trip there was uneventful … and quick ... as I was hauling ass. Then I hoped into my Lamborghini Veneno and drove back to the winery. As I got closer I rang Troy on the cell phone and told him I’d pick him up at the service entrance.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/Lamborghini_Veneno,_Car_Zero_(profile).jpg

As I drove up … I wished I had a camera. Troy looked to be in shock as I drove up and unrolled the passage side window. “Want a ride?” I asked … realizing there was a double meaning to that question.
 
Last edited:
Troy's date, the pup chaperones

Troy's eyes bugged out as Cassie came to a screeching halt beside him.
“Want a ride?” She asked as she wound down the window.
"My mother always said to be careful of fast women offering me lifts. Good thing I often ignore my mothers advice isn't it," I grinned. "One thing though. I hope you don't mind but we will be having company on our date." I saw her face fall and I couldn't help smiling wider as it meant she was looking forward to spending time alone with me. "Oh don't worry I know you will like the guy." I whistled and the pup bounded over from where he had been investigating a pile of leaves.

I opened the passenger door and motioned him into the back seat. He jumped in happily and sat down in the middle of the small seat. I climbed in and sat down and the chair molded itself to my body. "Nice car. Recently picked up I suppose. You have great taste. Both in cars and clothes, you look great Cassie. So where are we off to. You know this area better than me. I only know the Winery, I haven't even been to the city. I put myself in your very capable hands."
 
The Date

I knew my strengths and weaknesses all too well. Troy fell into the later. He was good looking, charming, and funny. I loved the joke about his mother’s advice and the trick he played with his puppy. I was in deep trouble. But if we just went for coffee … keep the date in a public location … keep it light … and keep it fun. I’d be ok.

I drove away from the winery.

“Well … I have to admit something to you … I’m kind of playing hooky right now. So we don’t have much time.” I giggled. “It fun to be naughty sometimes … don’t you think?” My voice was dripping with sexual over tones when I said that last comment. WHAT WAS I THINKING? I needed to slow this date down right now.

Troy looked a bit uncomfortable “I was just joking about that last comment” I told him quickly. “I think there is a Starbuck in the small town near here. I thought we go there” I told him. He smiled “Sounds good” He said.

Again, the zombies in the country side did not make an appearance. As I drove to the small town of Lorane. I asked Troy to tell me about himself. He told me about joining the Australian Military and became an MP and started working with dogs.

“You’re a cop?” I said in shock

He nodded “Well, I was military one …” He said.

“SHIT” I said.

“Problem?” He asked.

“No” I said with a smile, but I was just thinking about Officer Bart … and my recent failed pass at him. We didn’t get much further in our conversation in the car as I pulled into the town. The place looked kind of kept up. I did not see any dead bodies … or dead zombies ... some of the buildings had damage however.

“This place did pretty well” I said as I pulled into the Starbucks.

What I did not know … was all sorts of alarm bells were going off in Troy’s head. We got out of the car and he pulled out his gun.

“Trouble?” I asked

“This is too weird …” He said “How was this date going to work again?” He asked in a serious tone.

I pulled out my 9 mm but did not take off the safety yet. “I thought we’d go inside and … just brew up some coffee … and talk abit.” I suggested.

He looked over to me, a big smile on his face. “With zombies running ... have a nice cup of coffee ... here on the patio perhaps? You’re a starker … you know that …a fun starker … but a starker!” He laughed.

I had no idea what a starker was …but I loved the way he said it. So I guessed it was a good thing.

I opened the Starbucks door “After you … gentlemen first” I said. He stepped inside. At that moment I thought the date was going wonderfully!!
 
I walked into the building with my gun still in my hand. Something was bugging me about this place but I just couldn't put my finger on it. It had me nervous though and that wasn't good when I was supposed to be having fun.
The inside of the place was just like every other Starbucks I had ever been in, which I had to admit was very few. A big counter, cash registers, display cabinets for cakes,muffins and cookies and coffee machines up the back with coffee beans of all sorts stacked beside and above them. Everything was clean and tidy and then it hit me. Everything was clean and tidy. This couldn't be normal. It had been over a week since the zombies had started to appear and there was no way this place would look this clean after a week of being left alone. As I moved further in the pup began to growl beside me and edge further forward.
"Careful Cassie, we have a party crasher. You cover the front, me and furry here will check the back."
I edged around the counter and nudged open the door to the back. Inside was a darkened room and I reached for a light switch without a real hope that a light would come on. To my surprise two overhead fluorescent lights flickered to life and I caught sight of a young zombie crouched in a corner. It stood up as the pup barked at it and growled, waiting for it's attack command. I was impressed that it remembered it's training, but I quickly put a bullet in the zombies head spraying green goo all over a stack of coffee bean bags. The bullet actually continued into a bag, causing a hole and beans spilled out onto the floor mixing with the zombies blood. "Ugh that's one flavor I don't want to try," I said to the pup as I patted his head.

I stepped back out into the main area and grinned at Cassie. "Problem solved Cassie. Just a coffee lover who was dying for their daily fix. Now what sort of coffee do you want? And please if you say you want a Half double decaf half cafe with a twist of lemon, know that I will kill you too," I said smiling.
 
The zombie did seem a bit shaky ... get it ... shaky like from coffee jitters! Ok so that was not that funny.

Troy challenged me … and he was going to get it. “I’d like … a Venti Chai Creme Frappucinno with 3 pumps of Chai, 2 pumps of White Mocha, Soy, Extra Ice, 5 pumps of Creme Base, Double Blended on #3, Whip Cream … but please hold the zombie goo.” I said smiling.

He laughed. and grinned “No really … want do you want?” He asked again.

“Some French roast … How about you?” I asked

“Sounds good” He agreed.

We turned on the water heating machine and found the French roast coffee. It did not take long and soon we had coffee. We actually sat inside … it was a bit too freaky to sit outside. And we talked … as the puppy sniffed around the place.

Except for the smell of the dead zombie … it was like a real date. It felt kind of normal. I needed that. I wanted my world back … I wanted humans to be on top again. And this date at the Starbucks coffee shop reminded me of that.

I gazed at him … studied him … he seemed nice and genuine. Very different from a biker guy. Men never made me nervous … I just liked them too much … but I found I was more anxious about this date with Troy then I would have thought. I guess I liked him … a lot.

He smelled good too … He had put something on before the date … but mixed with the smell of the 9 mm discharge and the coffee … the combination made him intoxicating!! Just joking ... he smelled like he had just fired a gun. HA HA … had you going there. But he did not smell bad. He was a good listener … as I blabbed away about my cars… racing … and working at a stripper club.

“How did you like working there?” He asked

“Well ... it was fun … some of the people were creepy … some of the girls crazy … but I liked putting smiles on people’s faces … and most people liked my dancing” I explained.

We talked about some of the other people at the Knight … Peter, Ria, Cramer and Derry. I told him they were all great people … each of them helping the people at the library survive. I had been the one to let everyone down. Setting off the fire suppression system.

“I think you are watering down this story …” He joked as he touched my arm. We both laughed simultaneously at it. The touch … was nice. Human contract, closeness. Troy exuded a confidence filled with a little bit of naughty sexual energy. It made him simply irresistible. As we finished our coffees, I wanted to do more … but knew it was not possible.

He offered his arm to me … and I gratefully took it.

“Thank you for paying for the coffee …” I said smiling ear to ear.

“You know … you’re a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock … but thank you for such a wonderful time!” He answered back.

We both got back into the car … thinking of what to do for our next date. The possibilities … seemed endless!
 
Last edited:
As I Jumped back in Cassie's car for the trip backI started to think about where I could take her on our second date, assuming of course she was willing to go out with me again. Most second dates usually involved the movies and dinner at a restaurant. Well I was zip for two on those things. Well I supposed I could cook her something myself in the hotels kitchen. I had become a fairly decent cook living on my own for all these years.

Well that solved the food crisis but there was no way I was going to find a safe movie theater. Well then I thought, let's go the other way. Our computers were still working and they had decent size screens. I had one in my room so a 'Private' screening of a movie with popcorn and maybe a bottle or two of wine and candles for mood lighting couldn't hurt.

Now to find out what movies she liked "So Cassie what movies are high on your list you will miss most. Documentaries like World War Z or Night of the Living Dead. Comedies like Idle hands or Chucky, Action like Death proof or 28 Days or perhaps even Tear jerkers like Old Yeller or Snow white."
 
Cassie

I had not thought about a movie in weeks. I use to love to go to them. Now Troy was asking me about which one I’d like to see. Was this a trick question or some kind of guy test? I needed to pick a movie I liked and one I think he would like.

How about Mr and Mrs Smith … I’ll like the action, the amazing car chase … and looking at Brad Pitt. And hopefully he’ll like the weapon arsenal and looking at Angelina Jolie.

Or what about the last Fast and Furious movie … loads of car chases for me … and hot chicks for him. Silly humor and there was a tank in the movie too.

“I’ll suggest two … I like both of them” I said to Troy. “Mr. and Mrs. Smith … or Fast and Furious 6” I answered his question with a smile.

“Thanks for a fun date” I told him … he leaned over and gave me a small kiss “Thank you” He whispered … just then the puppy stuck his nose between us and gave us both a doggie kiss/lick. We all laughed.

He got out and I waved good bye … and drove off. There was no time to go back to the Knight … so I went right over to Cramer’s farm. As I drove up and parked, I saw Derry out front. This was the first time she had seen the car and as I got out … my outfit. At least I had slipped my leather jacket back on … so my arms were not bare … but the bikini top and pink wrap around was a clear sign I had not been out working. I was busted.

“Hi Derry” I said “I need to change before Cramer sees me … I’ll tell you where I have been in a bit”
 
I had just finished getting cleaned up and wondered where Cassie had gotten to. I hadn't seen her in hours. With all that had been going on in the last few days....meaning all the shit jobs we had thrown at us, I had not been able to have any time to talk to her. I had a bone to pick with her, and it wouldn't go away until I had it out with her. I kept on thinking about a comment I had hear her say...when we had been caught flinging shit at each other.

As I walked towards the front door I felt my cell phone buzz. I quickly got it out of my back pocket and flipped it open hoping it was a message from Deacon. I had been thinking about him a lot since we had dropped him off. I got a huge smile as I saw what I had been waiting for, a message from Deacon,

"I never got to tell you about myself. I grew up a survivalist, my life was hard, you can imagine bootcamp from the day you could start to understand words. I was trained to survive when nuclear winter ends life as we know it. I have studied more things about the world after I finished school via internet, all I know is what I have been taught or studied. I wish there was more to my life than that, but that is basically me. That and the fact that you are the first woman to ever take an interest in me. Take care of yourself. Deacon."

It was so good to hear from him, my day suddenly got a whole lot brighter. I walked out of the house with a light step. That is when I saw a powerful super car drive up to the house and carefully park. Who should step out but Cassie. I raised my eyebrow at her outfit as I walked up to her. I tilted my head slightly and said, "Mmmm nice outfit you have there Cassie, I doubt very much you have been working too hard."

She looked around nervously before replying, “Hi Derry” I said “I need to change before Cramer sees me … I’ll tell you where I have been in a bit.”

We both headed back into the house but as we walked I said, "Indeed you will but first I have a bone to pick with you. I want to know how you think, and mind you don't deny it cause I heard you mumble these words when we were caught a few days ago in our shit fight. "Derry has gotten me into trouble again." As Cassie looked at me in surprise I continued, "Now don't you go denying that you said it, I just want you to know that before I knew you I was a highly respected research scientist."

We both looked at each other and suddenly burst out laughing. Once we caught our breath I repeated myself, "Well it's true you know, I was a highly respected scientist...but I was sure boring!" We both burst out laughing again.
 
“So boring … highly respected research scientist… what were you doing the other day climbing into a tank full of animal poo? Were you researching the effects of harden shit on filter screens?" I asked.

“It is a dirty job … but someone has to do it. Now … get changed before you get into more trouble!” Derry instructed.

Derry was funny and kind of scary … she had me going there for a moment. I ran upstairs, changed and came back down in my work clothing. We headed out to milk the cows … I told Derry all about my date. Then she told me all about the message from Deacon. It was good to hear from Deacon … but I was worried about the big guy. He was tough … but all alone against a bunch of zombies was not good odds. I kind of hoped he’d return to the group soon.

The cow milking went well … and with all the talking Derry and I did … time flew by. So the next thing I knew … we were headed back to the farm house.

Derry reminded me “Don’t forget to talk to Cramer.”

“Yes” I sighed “Next time I see him … I’ll do it for sure!”
 
Jerry had seen Cassie leave in Cramer's pick-up, but return in a sports car, oh boy will ol' Homer be ticked about that. But since they had to drive trucks with the rest of the foodstuff back, he probably wouldn't be too upset. He lit a cigarette, the last of the package and the first in three days. The harvesting was pretty much like in the past, just the fact that he or Cramer stood guard on a rotation basis, was the only real difference. The two Nat guard women avoided him and he was fine with that, but it seemed that if there wasn't anything people wanted to know or needed, they either forgot about him or avoided him...he shrugged off the thought and slowly dragged on the cigarette as he kept watch over the only entrance to the farm.
 
The Move

Peter had never worked so hard in his life. When he first took the leadership job at the knight library … people thought it was because he was power hungry. In fact, it had more to do with the fact that he did not like to get his hands dirty.

After two days with Ria … his hands were plenty dirty. They were finishing up loading the bus as he looked around. Pretty much everything and everyone was moving over to the winery. They were going to leave a small amount of food and ammo at the knight. It was still a pretty secure building and useful if they ever needed a place in the city to spend the night. Daniel had volunteered to stay at the knight to help tidy everything up.

He said to everyone “Hi … I'm Daniel Campbell for Motel Knight, and I'll leave the light on for you." Peter had never had a chance to talk to him … but he was acting more normal now. So Peter figured whatever emotional thoughts he had about leaving the group was over.

The two military types … SSgt Washington and Lt Ski had been very helpful during the packing. They had formed something called a “working party” … and when you get 20 people all carrying stuff … you can pack a bus or a truck very fast. Doc Lee … was better now and back to his old self. Although if you looked into his eyes deeply … there was a pain in there that was haunting him. He had always been there to help people … and then due to the sickness … he hurt them. When the people were in their weakest state. That had to mess with his mind.

Even though no one had seen Deacon in the last two days … All of his welding equipment, chemicals, supplies and other items had been brought over via a truck earlier today. Ria had pointed out if any of it spilled … it might blow up. So they had treated it like a hazardous cargo. When the last box of food had been packed. Peter turned to Ria.

“Well I think that is all of it. Shall we go?” Peter asked.
 
Troy /Winery

Troy had again knuckled down to work when he got back. Over the next few days rooms had been cleaned out and made ready for the influx of new people coming. The second mold was finished and the Arrowhead production started to increase dramatically. They were sure they would have over a thousand arrows ready by the time the knights moved in. 10 new bows were also being prepared but they wouldn't be ready for several more days. It was a great start though. They also discussed making proper long weapons like pikes and axes maybe even swords. Eric has told him that pikes will be easy as they are just big arrows without fletches. To do anything more they will need books and learn old ways of doing things or the steel will just shatter and be no good. Hopefully the knights will have some with them.

With the help of the Tractor, several of the animal pens had been brought closer to the fence and inside the moat line. The pigsty, The chickens and the ducks had been considered a priority as they were able to be a replenish able source of food. They now had their own safe area behind the moat and could be accessed via the gate if it was safe quite easily. Scraps could be thrown over the barbed wire fence to feed them without risking anyone in the event of a prolonged attack.

Stockpiles of food had been harvested from the garden and preserved in old fashioned ways by pickling and preserving them. A lot of jams, chutneys, sauces and things had been made and the next seasons crops had been planted. They didn't know if they would be here to harvest it and eat it but why be pessimistic. Everything was on a timer down at the Gardens so it was just a case of checking on it now and again.

Everything that could have been done had been done. troy had even found a copy of Fast and the Furious 6 and was looking forward to his next night off so he could maybe talk Cassie into watching it with him.
 
Ria

Finally moving ...


“Well I think that is all of it. Shall we go?” Peter asked.

With a sigh I nodded.

"Get them aboard the bus, and, like we decided, you on the bus, Max, Leo and Stewart in the party van with Edna's piano and stuff, Carla, Vince and I in the Twix van with the books and the chickens and ducks, Ski, Paul and Andrea in the tank."

I turned to Daniel.

"Are you sure? I do appreciate you staying here, at least until Deacon comes back, but the building is too big for one person to defend. Are you all right with the food stock we left and with taking care of the garden and the fishes until we come for them?"

While I talked to him, my mind was going over the preparations for The Move one last time: the kids would be sitting on top of a lot of food behind boarded windows, empty seats were stuffed with boxes and bags, Edna's stuff was packed secure between bags and suitcases with clothes and bedding -some had been opposed to taking that, they said the Kings had enough bedding, but I didn't want to arrive there without a 'dowery' and they didn't have much clothes except Maddy and her family- Deacon's weapons had been packed tightly between boxes with food too; the tank was packed to the brim with most of our medical supplies and the weapons and other things Norah and Dan had come with. I couldn't think of anything we had forgotten.

"Sorry," I said to Daniel when I realized what the look on his face meant. "My mind ... Sorry, Daniel. Are you really alright with staying here until Deacon arrives? I am worrying about those people who drove by a few times yesterday. They must have been checking out what we did. I only hope they will think all of us move out with all our stuff." I hugged him.

"Thank you for the shooting lessons you gave me yesterday," I whispered into his ear. The feel of the gun slung over my back beside my cleavers -as I started to call my machetes- was kind of reassuring. "I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself, you hear? Be careful and eat enough!" I kissed his cheek and looked over to Peter who was herding everyone into the vehicles assigned to them. Most adults wore weapons on their back. We were ready to defend our trek.

A phone call with Mrs Bradley and Troy had, I hoped, prepared them and the other Kings for our arrival.
 
Ambush!!

The ambushers were wet, miserable, and tired. Their shoulders hung under the fatigue of the day. But they were in position and ready for the new comers. They had been ready to attack the winery, a few days ago … and take it over. But then the strangers appeared with their APC and truck. It was the last thing these poor infected insane people wanted to see. But that was when their leader … suggested an ambush to rid them of these new comers.

The Oregon road was slick with water … as the steady rain continued to pour on the road and the ambushers hiding along the sides. The weather would slow the new comers down … they just hoped the ambush would not be delayed too long … for they had a long walk back to their base camp. That hike would be in the mud … and covered some steep slopes. It did nothing for their mood.

Morgan, their leader … infected with the rabid zombie virus … already thought of himself as the greatest leader since Napoleon, had changed his name to Bonaparte

Bonaparte leaned over to his fellow ambusher “It will be good to kill all these new comers … and take their stuff. That will brighten my day.” His follower laughed with him. “Having the APC … even if it has no ammo … will make us the most powerful group in the hills! We can kill off those stubborn farmers … and eat well all through winter!”

“The day is looking better already … Bonaparte” His follower said a crazy virus look in his eyes as the rain seemed to be letting up. Little did they realize how much worse it would get for them today.

The plan was simple … The ambushers had cut down a tree to block the road. Under the tree … was a trapped woman. When the new comers saw the accident … they’d stop and assist to “hurt” woman. The people in the woods would ambush the group … and the battle would be over in minutes. Not too complicated.

The sound of a bus and an APC was heard … and everyone got into position. “A bus!!” Bonaparte thought this was not what they had expected. The bus came up and over the hill in the road followed by the APC … and lastly came a party van.

The bus slowed down to stop in front of the fallen tree and the door opened … a tall good looking guy came out (Peter) with an older man (Max) and a short military guy (Doc Lee). The APC pulled off to one side and the driver’s hatch opened … a female officer’s head popped out (Lt Ski). Finally, the party van stopped and a smaller woman came out (Ria) heading for the tree.

The shorter man (Doc Lee) was headed for the fallen woman the fastest, he went past the ambushers … who let him go … The ambushers remained deadly calm … waiting for more people to arrive … and empty out those vehicles.

Then there was a loud cracking sound followed by dull bang that shook the ground. Another tree had fallen, conveniently blocking the road, behind them. The trap sprung … these people were all going to die!!

But as the second tree was falling the older man (Max) … had seen this is all before in Vietnam. Something hit him right then … and he knew he had to act. “IT’S A TRAP … HIT THE DECK!” He ordered and jumped to the ground as the tree hit the ground. He had said it as a command … not a request and everyone followed his order. So as the flight of arrows and bolts emerged from the tree line trying to kill the people out of the vehicles … none of them hit their targets … as they were all lying flat on the ground. Only one arrow got close to the smaller woman (Ria) … because the bow string had gotten wet which had caused the horrible shot to almost hit her.

Before another round of arrows could be fired. The turret of the APC turned towards the woods and opened up. The coax 240 Bravos and the 25mm chain gun roared into life … the sound was deafening. SSgt Washington had wanted to use them … and now was the time!!!! In three round bursts she tore up the woods … and showered the attackers with some major firepower.

A bunch of the ambushers had been killed … those left dropped their bows … and pulled out their guns. They had not wanted to use them earlier to save the vehicles and ammo. They came storming out of the trees … and closed on the vehicle people.

Even the “hurt” woman got up … and screamed an insane scream and rushed at Doc Lee.
 
Ria

On the road ...


All went very well, almost to well, just like the first time we visited the winery. The farther we left the city behind us, the less zombies we saw. The people who had been checking us out were nowhere to be seen and I hoped they weren't attacking he knight.

For some reason the bus had overtaken the tank though, and Vince and I weren't pleased at all with this. Instead of the party van and our Twix van covering the bus from behind, we now covered the tank. I called Peter but he didn't respond. However the bus stopped only seconds after I had called him. Ski took over to the side of the road, Stewart pulled up beside her. To my big surprise people got out and ran to something in front of the bus.

"Damm!" Vince cursed while he braked the van behind the tank and the party van. "Go check, Ria! What are they doing?"

"A tree!" I called back to him and saw Stewart open his door. Coming closer I saw Lee reaching the tree and starting to pull at something. Coming closer myself I saw there was a woman trapped under the tree. Briefly I wondered how this tree had fallen, the weather was awful, but not stormy at all, just a downpour.

Suddenly something cracked and thundering a tree fell down behind us, trapping us. Max commanded us to get down, and only seconds after I hugged the asphalt an arrow slithered towards my eye.

I was still looking at the arrow and finally moving back from it, even if it wasn't moving anymore, when a gun started to bark behind me. In front of me the trapped woman started to scream, and attacking Lee. Unbelievingly fast he twirled around on the ground and kicked her in her stomach, sending her back into broken branches of the tree.

From all sides screaming people came running towards of, waving guns and other weapons. Shooting at us.

Behind me other guns cracked and plopped. Unknown to my brain my hand had found the barrel of the gun on my back and was tugging at it. Conscious of what I did now I soon had it in my hand and aimed at someone closing in on Max. I couldn't see if he was hurt, but he wasn't firing. Still lying down I managed to hit his attacker in the chest. Bullets hit the asphalt beside me, I felt some sharp bites in my thigh. I needed cover. The bus was to far behind me. The tree was much closer. Lee was already behind it and firing at people attacking us, beside me someone fell down, nearly on top of me. Scrambling and stumbling I made my way to the tree and crawled over it. Peter was moving towards it too, I saw when I turned around and aimed at someone shooting at the bus.

Vince was shooting, Stewart and Leo also from behind their doors, and from the tank I heard shots too. It was eerily how I could distinct which sounds came from where.

Some of the people attacking us moved back into cover, others were lying on the ground, wounded or dead, others stood upright between the flying bullets and two were advancing on the open door of the bus. Lee aimed at them, but missed because Peter almost landed upon him.

In the door of the bus Skip knelt, and Thomas stood behind him, they got the guys advancing on them at the same moment my shot got one of them.

"There!" I called out to Peter and Lee, who were putting down people standing, and pointed to attackers on the 'safe' side of the bus. Safe for them, because Thomas and Skip couldn't see them. But Andrea and Paul had, and I had. Strangely none of the attackers aimed for the tree.

Max was still lying in the middle of the road ...
 
It was a real fire fight … bullets were pinging off the ground and the vehicles. The APC was moving now … adding fight power to the left side of the road. Peter, Ria, and Doc Lee were near the fallen tree and providing excellent cover fire. This had allowed people in the bus … to arm themselves … and widows were lowered … soon arrows were finding the virus crazed humans.

Doc Lee was on his high again … the illness had not affected his swearing under pressure problem. He was swearing pretty good again. “I HATE THESE FUCKERS … TRYING TO TRICK US … FUCK THEM … FUCKKKKK THEMMMM” He shouted as he returned fire at them. Then he saw Max … and knew something was wrong. … “I’m fucking going for Max!” he said to Ria and Peter. “FUCKING cover me … ASSHOLES!”

He ran out among the shots being fired. There were pings as bullets struck the ground near Doc Lee. But this exposed the virus shooters … Peter took aim with his gun and fired over and over … emptying it's 15 shot magazine clip. Three virus wackos …dropped dead alongside of the road. Peter was a terrible shot … but he shot enough rounds to get lucky. Ria fired just two shots … and two more bodies fell over limped and lifeless to the pavement.

Doc Lee grabbed Max and dragged him back to the fallen tree. There were no arrows sticking out of Max. But he was not responsive.

“Fucking Heart Attack … paycheck time!” Doc Lee said as he ripped open Max’s shirt … buttons flying in all direction. Then he SLAMMED his fist into Max’s chest. He started doing CPR … yelling “Come on you old fucker … you saved everyone life … you are NOT GOING TO DIE ON ME!”

Meanwhile, the APC’s two machine guns fired, burst after burst of ammunition that ripped flesh, bones, and blood from the insane humans. SSgt Washington was in her element … as the infrared sensor locked on and she thumb depressed the gun's firing button. There was a loud roar … and the remaining insane humans danced and sways as large caliber rounds struck their bodies leaving them mutilated, torn apart, and dead. Even insane humans hiding in the forest were found with the IR sensor.

The battle was over a minute later … as all the guns went silent. The only sound that could be heard was Doc Lee “I HAVE A FUCKING HEART BEAT” He yelled in excitement, and then he slumped over Max and started to cry.

The wounded were Peter (arm), Doc Lee (leg), Ria (thigh), Vince (cuts in his hand and face … Van window got shot out) and Max (heart attack). Everyone else seemed to be ok. Surprisingly, the kids were not shook up by it. They thought had been like a big video game … only the graphics sucked compared to x-box. “Good operating platform … real fast … just like it was playing in real-time! But too much rain … and I could not see the blood squirting from the dead guys” one boy commented after the battle.
 
Ria

After the battle


The fire slowed down.

And stopped.

The only sounds now were my heavy breathing, some moaning and Lee's sobs.

Carefully I stood up. Looking over the battlefield was sickening. No green goo to be seen, only red. This had been humans. And we killed them. They had tried to kill us of course, but still. I felt devastated about the loss of lives.

"Peter, you are going to do a lot of shooting praxis! Now help Lee to put Max in the bus. We need to get rid of these trees. This one to the left, that one to the right, both of them covering half the street, that way they serve as obstacles without blocking our route to the Eugene. Ski, you take care of that, Thomas, Skip and however feels up to it, help me to put these corpses on a pile and check for however is only wounded and can be saved. The Kings won't like it very much I am afraid, us showing up with a bunch of unknown casualties, but I won't leave them lying around to be eaten alive. Quickly, before all zombies around arrive to have a feast!"

Vince came over to me, I saw him talking to Stewart, Leo and Paula who positioned themselves strategically to cover us.

"Ria."

"Yes, Vince?"

"It would be ... okay. We'll do what you said. Geneva Convention and all that," he said softly. Then he sighed. "Pile over there, guys, chest- and stomach shots over there, I'll take care of them. Other wounds over there, Lee will check them after he has taken care of Peter and himself. Clear a path for the Bradley first!"

The engine of the tank started to roar.

"We are humans!" I said under my breath while walking beside Vince towards a badly wounded woman.

"Yes, and we won't be able to save her!"

He had misunderstood me.

"I know. That is what humans do too, to relieve the un-savable from suffering." I knelt down and pulled a machete from my back. I had shot her ...
 
Cassie and Cramer finally talk (OH BOY!!)

The day sucked. It had been raining. A steady Oregon rain. The air smelled of the wetness. I had completed the cow milking and egg collecting. The rest of the work was outside in the cold rain … so Jerry and Cramer had granted us some free time. Derry reminded me that now was a good time to talk to Cramer.

Cramer had been spending a lot of time on the porch … sitting on the swing … with his cat, Patches. I headed for the porch and sure enough he was there, on the swing with his cat.

“Hi Cramer” I said “Can we talk?” I asked him. He nodded sadly … and pointed to the chair opposite to the swing. I took the seat.

“You have been avoidin’ me … after what I said at th’ winery … thet is kind of childish you know” He said not looking up from Patches. Who he was petting slowly … as the cat purred.

Did I mention the day kind of sucked? I think I did. Anyhow Cramer was making it worse. Kind of like when you put the wrong icing on a messed up cake.

I took a deep breath. “Cramer … I’d like to talk to you about what happened at the winery … without trading insults” I said with a small snarl in my voice.

“I reckon we are talkin’ about it … you went th’ to find yer next fuck. That was what a teenage gal would do … time t’ grow up Cassie … th’ world is not all roses and fun … if you have not noticed thar are zombies out there … varmints are eating people … destroying people’s families … and lives. Yer juvenile bullshit … is outta place.”

I stared at him as he sat in front of me. I was completely PISSED at him now.

“You don’t think I know there are zombies out there … I LOST MY FATHER AND MOTHER TO THEM …” I said with a low voice that was shaking I was so mad.

Cramer looked up at me … surprised at my emotions. Tears were forming in my eyes and I wiped them away. I took another deep breath. At that moment it stuck me. I thought I knew what was bugging Cramer.

“Cramer …” My voice back to normal “I could cry for weeks … months … over the people lost to this fucked up zombie outbreak … but what good would that do? It will not bring them back. They are DEAD. We need to honor them … the best way I know how … is to live. To embrace life. To do those things that makes life worth living. That includes having some fun … maybe even acting like a teenager if that is what it takes. If the survivors of this event spent their whole time crying … and mourning the dead … they might as well be dead too.” I said

Cramer looked at me “I did not know you lost them … you hav’ not talk about them.”

“No … but I was extra close to my dad … he was a really great man. I tried to call them after the outbreak … no answer. I figure they got turned … or eaten. I have not been back to the house … I don’t want to see them half eaten … or worse turned into zombies and I have to kill them.” I explained.

“I let them go … and now my memories are only of them healthy and happy.” I said.

“I can’t do that … I saw too much” Cramer said sadly. I moved over and sat next to him; put my arm around his shoulder.

“It will get better in time …” I said. Then we sat in silence for several minutes.

I broke the silence as I looked into his eyes “You know … I thought, maybe, you said those things at the winery because you were jealous.” I said there was a surprised look on his face. I continued “I have always been attracted to you … But thought you were emotionally unavailable because of what happened. But now I know better.”

“What?” Cramer said in confusion.

“Yes … I never knew … you were a swinger” I said with a smile … pointing at the swing we were sitting in. “And the way you pet a pussy … so gentle and caring … it drives me wild!!” I added pointing to the cat.

“Cassie … you have been warned about yer “puns”” Cramer said. I got up and started running … he took off after me. I burst into the house … and ran past Derry and Jerry “He is after me!” I said …as Cramer came into the house.

“Cassie … if I catch you … I’m takin you out to the woodshed!!” Cramer exclaimed.
 
Clean up and arrival

The APC was used to move the blocking trees out of the way. There were no survivors that lived. The damaged caused by the high caliber machine guns on the APC was horrific. It was only to people hit by the 9 mm and arrow shots that had any chance of living. But apparently everyone was too good a shot with those as well. Anyone still alive was put out of their suffering. SSgt Washington had been helping with the gruesome task. One guy had spoken before he died choking out the words “Death is nothing; but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.”

“Dis one dinks he’s Napoleon Bonaparte” She said as she cut off his head.

Doc Lee did not move Max into the bus yet. He wanted to make sure his heart was beating steady. But by the time the trees were moved and people placed into burning piles. Max was moved to the bus. Doc Lee treated everyone else … Peter’s arm injury which was not too bad. Ria’s thigh injury where Doc Lee said “one inch over … and you’d be fucking dead”, Vince looked a bit like a mummy when Doc Lee got through with the cuts in his hands and face.

Finally, Doc Lee treated his own leg. Everyone got back into the vehicles … this time the APC was leading. It did not take long and the whole group arrived at the Winery.

It was still raining … and after the ambush … it was not the joyous triumphant arrival Peter had hoped for. Instead everyone was just happy to have survived the ordeal.
 
Norah

I was just sitting in the bus, happily chatting a bit with John and enjoying the scenery, wondering what life at the winery would be, when he suddenly pushed me down between the seats. The bus halted. People got out.

"John! What the heck ..."

"Stay down! Kids! Get down!"

People started to ask why, they couldn't see much because most of them sat behind windows we had covered with desktops.

"Just get down!" John screamed and at that moment I heard a loud noise and Max outside commanding everyone to hit the deck. An ambush!

John covered me with his body, told Thomas and Skip to close the door.

An ordeal followed. Shaking with every gunshot I cowered beneath John, praying nobody would die and the tanks of our vehicles wouldn't be hit. Finally it stopped. Slowly John got up and sat himself in the seat again. He reached out his good hand and helped me up from the floor.

Robert, Lola, Louise and some others were consoling the children and Mrs Ashtuli helped Edna. One of the boys had decided to act as if the attack was a videogame ...

At first John refused to let me get out off the bus, but when Robert told him the others outside needed help, he and I and Louise got out. With Skip we dragged dead people into a pile. Thomas showered them with gas. Out of the corners of my eyes I saw Vince and Ria going from one person to an other, sometimes kneeling down and doing something with a machete. Washington did the same on the other side, but much more violently. When I saw her cutting of a head I heaved. I had to let go off the leg I was pulling at and bend over and lost my breakfast.

"It is alright," I heard Skip say through a haze, "we are nearly done. Go back inside."

Still retching I shook my head.

"I just need a minute," I whispered hoarsely. "Just a minute."

"Okay. Take two. Inside?" He patted my shoulder.

Again I shook my head. After a little while I looked around, one pile was already burning, the Bradley had pushed the tree in front of us to the side and far behind us I saw some figures running towards us. I pointed at them and clenched my other hand around Skip's arm, unable to say a word.

"Zombies." He growled. "Stewart!"

"They are far away, and behind the tree" Stewart said matter of factly. "Just finish. I want to go."

More people looked over to the nearing zombies.

"He is right. Put the last ones on a pile and light them, get in the cars and then the zombies will light themselves," Ria encouraged us. "Not many left," she added while dragging a corpse over to the nearest pile with Vince.

I bend down and took the foot I had dropped in my hands again.

"Come on!" I urged Skip, and a few minutes later some zombies had been dropped by shots from the lookouts and the last bodies were lighted. Thomas had used an enormous amount of gas to start the fires, but now they were blazing despite the rain and an awful smell hung over the place.

Warily I climbed back into the bus, were Mrs Asthuli handed towels to everyone who had been outside. Sitting down beside John I dried my hair.

"I am sure you'll get a nice meal at the Kings," John consoled me. "I suppose they'll have a feast prepared for us, they had for the first party and for the ones who brought Deacon's stuff."

My only response to this was a dry gagging sound with made John scoot away from me as far as the seats allowed him. Which made me grin.

The engines started and our cavalcade was on its way again. After a maybe a mile on the road we reached the winery and I wondered if they had heard the shooting and why they hadn't come out to help us.

Very anxious looking people opened the gates for us.
 
Jerry was doing what Jerry did best, he was eating. Oh sure he didn't look like it, but to keep in shape took a lot of food and Jerry had made certain he was well-fed and in the best shape of his life. The petite red-head, Derry, was in the room with him, they had not spoken much and by the look of things she was occupied, ever since she got a text message from a deacon, she seemed a bit withdrawn, happy, but not quite there. Pounding footsteps came through the door and in came Cassie, Jerry swore that if he had a remote with a replay button he would have watched her running again and again,

"He is after me!"

"Dafuck?!"

Nothing would have crept up on the house! Jerry had the Ingram MAC-10 in hand and trained on the door just as Cramer came rushing through in pursuit of Cassie. Jerry lowered the machinepistol, shook his head and looked over at Derry,

"I'm going to pump some iron."

With that he picked up his machine gun and headed up the stairs
 
Derry sat at the table with her steaming cup of coffee, she wrinkled her nose thinking, "Will I ever get used to coffee without my International Irish creamer? She sighed once again as she glanced around the kitchen. It was a typical farmhouse kitchen, plenty of room, lots of cupboards, even the table was large.

Derry then looked at Jerry. A real redneck in her limited opinion, he didn't smile, wasn't friendly at all, the word that came to mind was...grim. Yes grim was what she would describe the man as, she continued to sip at her bitter coffee.

Suddenly there was the sound of running and the screen door flew open, Derry's eyes turned towards the door as she held her cup to her lips. Cassie ran through the kitchen shouting,

“He is after me!”

Jerry put his Ingram MAC-10 at the door retorting,

"Dafuck?!"

Seconds later Cramer came running in,

“Cassie … if I catch you … I’m takin you out to the woodshed!!” Cramer exclaimed.

They exited leaving both Jerry and Derry looking after them. They both glanced at each other and shrugged. Derry continued to sip at her coffee but now nodded her head and smiled thinking:

"Good, looks like Cassie and Cramer have made up."

Jerry lowered the machinepistol, shook his head and looked over at Derry,

"I'm going to pump some iron."

With that he picked up his machine gun and headed up the stairs

Derry watched the man as he left wondering if there was more to him then just his grim exterior. Once he was gone she went back to thinking about Deacon and when she was going to see him again.
 
Troy watched as the vehicles pulled up towards the 'Castle'. There were four of them and he could see they had been in a battle. The shooting earlier must have been them. He had ordered the new gates opened and he watched as the tank was guided into it's slot and then the Bus and the two vans moved in. They Fitted, but just barely. He was glad they had expanded the area a bit more than they had originally planned because now all the vehicles fitted and could be driven in and out without moving the others. He guessed that Cassie's car could fit behind one of the vans and if others came they could fit in or be parked close. The tractors were parked near the entrance so they could be protected and a 4x4 motorcycle was near the gate.

Troy rushed to the vehicles and saw the damage up close. Bullet holes were punched into the vehicles and as people came off the buses he saw there were injuries. Calling inside he got a few people to come out and help. The worst seemed to be an older guy while the rest could walk. Two people carried the older gentleman into the room we had set up as our hospital area, while Ms Brady took the kids in hand and their keepers and took them upstairs to the rooms we had cleaned out for them.

Troy sought out Ria and noticed she had a bandage around her leg."Looks like you had a tough time out there. Come on in and get your people settled in. We have rooms cleaned up for all of you and the showers are ready. You can get cleaned up and then we can have the feast we promised you."
 
Back
Top