Mint and Honey

"Sir." Yasmine said with a nod as she stood and greeted Durban as he came her direction. "I apologize for not being able to stay around longer. Things happened that were beyond my control and I had to return home for a while."
 
"I'm jus' glad to see you back safely." Durban then took her hand. "... An' thank you fer seein' my nephew back as well. After 'e was captured, we were scared Barbarossa'd make an example of 'im both t'our family an' people of were descent. But I didn' jus' come t'thank you. Sam's back now, an' I'd like t'introduce you to him properly."
 
"Of course." Yasmine said as he thanked her for keeping Alex safe. "Captain, he means the world to me. I don't know if we're ready to announce anything further, but he is someone whom I would do anything to help."

At the mention of Samuel Ghis being back, Yasmine nodded. "I would love to meet him."

Yasmine followed Durban to another portion of the keep, somewhere more private where they found General Ghis and a blonde woman eating a meal together. Both looked exhausted from their ride, but they seemed to be relaxing as much as they could in their regal armor.
 
As Yasmine stepped in, it became clear that she was facing two Riders. She'd heard that Samuel Ghis had become a proper Rider, but she had yet to see any dragon up close.

As Yasmine entered, Sam stood, his cloak settling around him. "Miss al-Zariq." He offered a hand out. She had seen him from afar before, but up close he cut an intimidating figure. He was as tall as Durban and if similar build, but much leaner, more athletic than pure powerhouse. His short-cropped hair was an oddity for his family, similar only to Leon or Alex, but his eyes were a bit different from his siblings. All of Julia Ghis' children had emerald eyes, but Sam's were slightly steely and darker.
 
“General, it is a pleasure and an honor to finally meet you.” Yasmine said with a smile, shaking husband hand with a firm shake of her own.
 
"I'd like t'thank you fer all you've done fer Alex. I don' know what we would've done without 'im. But now tha' you're back an' I've heard a bit of what you were up to in Palmyra... I 'ave a proposition for you. Durban an' yer commander an' I would like t'place you at th'head o' the Drake Cavalry. No' jus' fer the Axemen, but overall."
 
Yasmine was stunned when Sam offered her such a generous position in his staff. “Sir, I trained only to help my grandfather. I’m sure that there are better equipped to take on that task than myself.”
 
"Better equipped, maybe. More experienced with mounted warfare, maybe. But none of the others have th' natural connection. Alex gave me a letter from your grandfather, talking about Alex's new drakes an' how you two brought him from the brink of bein' put down fer aggression. I'll be frank with you, Miss al-Zariq. I 'ave a lot o' good drakes, strong an' able, but too scared o' people t'be allowed into even domestic work. If not my lead trainer... I would like to appoint you as our first Drake Stablemaster. There's so many tha' would normally be killed in other lands because they're too scared an' act viciously because of it. Even if you can't get all of them ready for combat trainin', I'd like you t'give them a chance at life. Sadly... We can' keep them if they don' have a use. They're jus' too expensive t'keep without a job."
 
"I will have to speak to Alex about all of that, but I believe that I could be better suited in training the difficult drakes than anything else." Yasmine said with a nod towards the general. "They are all worthy of learning to be productive members of our city and in doing so, learning their self worth."
 
"I would appreciate tha'. We're tryin' to reorganize a bit, down t'our stables. An' with drakes still so new t'the north, no' a lot of people have skill with them. We need your talent t'help build tha' skill, but first we need t'rehabilitate these animals so they can work with people at all. It would become yer full-time job, though. I know ye've dedicated a lot o' time t'becoming a full member of the Axemen... So it's up to you. Either way, you'll be promoted in rank fer your service. As an Axeman, you'll continue training in guerilla warfare, but as a trainer, you'll start by rehabilitating drakes, then later trainin' them fer all facets o' the military."
 
“In all honesty, sir, the change in position might be a welcome announcement to my family. I know they worry about my training as a warrior.” Yasmine said with a chuckle, glancing towards Durban. “If you think you can do without me, Captain.”
 
"I migh' still 'ave you come by now an' then," Durban nodded with a smile, and then added, "Sergeant."

Sam nodded and Durban drew out a small wooden box. "New uniforms of a special forces member will be provided t'you, though ye'll still be allowed t'wear any Axemen pins an' patches," Sam explained. As Durban presented Yasmine with the box which contained patches of a Sergeant, a set of award pins for her service as an Axeman, and a new type of medal marked with a drake, Sam continued. "The patches will mark yer new officer position, while the three pins're awards fer your performance in your last battle, fer service to the Invernessian royal family by savin' Alex, an' one no' necessarily military... But a sign of friendship t'your homeland. An' tha' medal marks you as our first military drake Stablemaster. Ye'll be granted full access t'all drakes in the royal stables with full clearance t'give drakes t'prove owners military an' non, buy and sell them, an' order tack an' armor through applications t'the royal treasury. We'd also like t'offer you lodging in a small home of yer own on the keep grounds if you like, near th' stables. But tha's up t'you."
 
"Thank you." Yasmine said, humbled by the honor that the men were bestowing upon her. "In the near future, I will give you a memento of Palmyra to show a new friendship and alliance. My grandfather sends his thanks in keeping me well cared for, even if I was training as a soldier during all of that time to earn my keep."
 
Sam, who'd been stoic the whole time, cracked a small smile. "I can' take any credit fer any o' tha'. Tha' belongs with the Axemen. They take care o' their own." He glanced to Durban at that.and the older man simply smiled to.himself.
 
"Sam never gives himself the credit he deserves." Fiona answered, chuckling at the look that her lover gave her as he glanced over his shoulder. "Fiona Blackstone, Miss Al-Zariq. It's a pleasure to meet you, even if we weren't properly introduced."

Yasmine nodded towards the other woman, smiling at the way that Sam looked at her. He adored her, it was clear, but he also seemed slightly irritated. Fiona had simply butted in as she finished her meal, giving Sam a grin that told him that she enjoyed every moment of it.
 
"She's biased, don' listen to 'er," Sam shook his head and looked back to Yasmine. "More than anythin', Miss al-Zariq, we're glad t'have you back, an' we're glad things are stabilizin' in Palmyra."
 
"My grandfather, sadly, had a lot of misconceptions about things. He has thankfully chosen to see that he was wrong and is changing his ways. Perhaps in the future Inverness will enjoy a good trading agreement with him." Yasmine said softly. "But as far as the war goes, I believe that Barbarossa has seen that it is difficult to fight in the brutal heat of the desert."
 
"He's goin' t'find the same of the Rus in winter. Which is why we're preparin' to be the only target he focuses on before long. Fer now, we get ready and try t'make sure this winter won' be too harsh."
 
"Here's hoping. After spending time in the heat of home, I'm not looking forward to the cold and snow that Scotland has to offer." Yasmine said with a slight smile as Fiona chuckled. "Well, I will leave you to your meal. There are things that I must speak to Alex about before I can give you answers about a new home and a few other things."
 
Sam raised an eyebrow at that, but didn't ask. "Take yer time. An' take a few days t'settle back in before work if y'need to." He gave her a nod and returned to his seat while Durban drew Yasmine away.

"Justin'll make yer uniforms, jus' stop by an' give 'im yer measurements when y'have a moment. An' once t'do start turnin' out some drakes able t'handle military service, Ciaran an' I an' Sam will all be workin' with you."
 
"I will keep my eyes out for those that I deem as worthy." Yasmine said with a nod towards Durban as he explained things a little more in depth to her as they walked away from Sam's rooms.
 
"In particular... I'd like fer you t'keep an eye out fer heavy lifters. We'll need 'em. An' if I can make one particular request... If y'find a good soul tha' needs a purpose an' a loving caretaker who may 'r may not put ribbons in 'is mane," Durban chuckled at that, "my Elise is lookin' fer one, no' as a pet, but as a proper companion an' protector."
 
“She’s the daughter you’re sending to Norway when the war is over?” Yasmine asked, giving him a smile as he talked about his only daughter. “You’re a doting father. I’ll give you that.”
 
"Elise 'as never asked anythin' o' me an' Marri. Nothin' really, beyond treats when she was little, an' a puppy o' her uncle Ashien. We want t'send 'er off safe an' with a good companion, an' someone t'focus on when she gets 'omesick."
 
“Well, speaking from experience, that homesickness never really goes away. Even if you have something to focus on.” Yasmine said as they stopped and she looked towards Durban. “But she’ll just have to decide if being away from Inverness is what she really wants. No amount of pleading from anyone else will make her see otherwise.”
 
Back
Top