Another - FREE - word processor

Handley_Page

Draco interdum Vincit
Some while ago, there was a bit of a discussion about what sort of word processor was used. Apart from the usual Microsoft Word (and several curses at it), mention was given of 'yWriter' and "Open Office" [which is very good, and nearly the same as Word, which files it will read and write].

I have found another [it takes me ages to catch up these days] . It's called "Libre Office" and it can be found HERE. This one seems to be able to output a PDF which is going to make distribution of the resulting documents a great deal easier.

I reckon it's worth a try.

PS. This is not spam; I have no involvement with the firm at all.

Oh bother. I was hoping this would be spam leading to me finding out whether the widow escaped her bindngs and what happened then.

Does this have a track changes tool?

:rose:

Yes, LibreOffice tracks changes.

It's basically OpenOffice with much better support. The project forked a while back. LibreOffice is much better, and if you're currently using OpenOffice, I would suggest trading up.

Yes, LibreOffice tracks changes.

It's basically OpenOffice with much better support. The project forked a while back. LibreOffice is much better, and if you're currently using OpenOffice, I would suggest trading up.

Now that is very useful advice. Many thanks

What happens when you try to send a file to anyone? Is it compatible with Word?

What happens when you try to send a file to anyone? Is it compatible with Word?

If it is a better version of OpenOffice, then there should not be a problem. Just save in the proper format

If it is a better version of OpenOffice, then there should not be a problem. Just save in the proper format

Thanks, then it should be OK. Love it or hate it, Word is the world of connections in the publishing world, and it will be up to the writer to connect with any files they are sending outside their own computer.

Thanks, then it should be OK. Love it or hate it, Word is the world of connections in the publishing world, and it will be up to the writer to connect with any files they are sending outside their own computer.

I have an old ragged eared copy of office 2000 that I do all my writing on. I've had no problems with anything until this last version of Word came out. One small publishing company I deal with bought it. It doesn't like my 2000 so I run the file through OpenOffice with the xdoc format and everyone is happy.

I have an old ragged eared copy of office 2000 that I do all my writing on. I've had no problems with anything until this last version of Word came out. One small publishing company I deal with bought it. It doesn't like my 2000 so I run the file through OpenOffice with the xdoc format and everyone is happy.

Yeah, my work shifted from OpenOffice to MS Office a couple of years back; I'm happy to work in MS Office for most stuff, but OpenOffice can be useful for transmogrifying file formats.

Yeah, my work shifted from OpenOffice to MS Office a couple of years back; I'm happy to work in MS Office for most stuff, but OpenOffice can be useful for transmogrifying file formats.

I have this old ThinkPad that's has two huge batteries in it. When I go somewhere on my motorcycle, I take it. The batteries take up a lot of case so the harddrive is small. I have Linux on it and OpenOffice Word to write on. All my stories are on a thumb drive so that is no problem.

I have a 12volt port on my bike but the battery on it is small, so I have to charge as I ride. I have a route around the lake I live on and another around another lake with parks along the way with good views for writing spots. A good way to get out of the house and write also.

If I drop the old IBM off the bike, I haven't lost much but the screen is easier to read in bright sunlight than the newer models. Not nearly the glare problems.

The first story I wrote I did it in notepad, then I used open office for awhile.

I currently use word 2007. My wife has the latest/greatest version of word, but I think 2007 is better and its "in the middle" its not so old as to have issues like 2000, but new enough to have a few better features.

While we're discussing this. I have a question about "google docs" an editor is trying to get me to use it because the doc can be made "live" and we can work on it together.

My question is does that mean others can access the doc? Meaning your work is literally up there for grabs?

Sorry, if this is a lame question, but I'm pretty tech impaired.

The first story I wrote I did it in notepad, then I used open office for awhile.

I currently use word 2007. My wife has the latest/greatest version of word, but I think 2007 is better and its "in the middle" its not so old as to have issues like 2000, but new enough to have a few better features.

While we're discussing this. I have a question about "google docs" an editor is trying to get me to use it because the doc can be made "live" and we can work on it together.

My question is does that mean others can access the doc? Meaning your work is literally up there for grabs?

Sorry, if this is a lame question, but I'm pretty tech impaired.

I have used Google Docs live to write with another author. It works great. I also use it to do quick changes and rewrites with my editor. I've never had any security problems or heard of any for that matter.

You should be able to restrict access to yourself and your editor. Since Google is hosting it, obviously some of Google's staff would be able to access it if they decided that was an acceptable thing to do.

So you'll want to consider whether you trust Google with that. OTOH, if you've been swapping Word files by email up till now, then that's equally vulnerable to the staff at your ISP and your editor's (unless you're encrypting email).

Phew, thank goodness for Jones!
And what a tasty blonde that was in the right hand bottom corner. ;)

:kiss:

Yeah, she was a taste treat back in the day but she's older than I am. :eek:

A note of interest, the heavy set guy in the yellow t-shirt is Junior Samples. He owns CMT. If you ever saw him on HeeHaw, the show that clip was from, you wouldn't think he had a brain in his head. :D

Back