Brittish Goods

I was pleasantly surprised to find a small Brit section in my neighborhood Supermarket the other day. I don't know why they chose to stock mostly candy though. Recognize anything?

Last edited:
I was introduced to Jelly Babies when I saw my very first episode of Dr. Who. This English guy (Tom Baker) with a really long scarf pulls out a small paper bag and asked "would You like a Jelly baby?". Hell I'd never heard of Gummy Bears, WTH were Jelly Babies? I never thought I'd see one this side of England but lo and behold yesterday in the same supermarket...YAY

Last edited:
I was introduced to Jelly Babies when I saw my very first episode of Dr. Who. This English guy (Tom Baker) with a really long scarf pulls out a small paper bag and asked "would You like a Jelly baby?". Hell I'd never heard of Gummy Bears, WTH were Jelly Babies? I never thought I'd see one this side of England but lo and behold yesterday in the same supermarket...YAY

Bassett's is the one true jelly babies :D

OMG!! Jelly Babies are so addictive and so superior to Gummy Bears. YUM! Which end do you bite first???

I suppose they assumed a British expatriot might be looking for a a fun taste of home. Comforting snacks that remind them of the the corner market back in the village.

I suppose they assumed a British expatriot might be looking for a a fun taste of home. Comforting snacks that remind them of the the corner market back in the village.

There's always:

OEOER_PNG_300x570.png

Wait so do they look like babies? That's kinda freaky. Gummies are supposed to be bear shaped.

Some people would rather die than be without HP sauce.

Me, I like a nice Pontefract cake.

Occasionally, I settle for the non-engineers reserve.

I don't drink alcohol at all anymore but even back in the day I don't think I would have gotten all the way through a whole room temperature Blackest ale. I used to enjoy interesting beers but that sounds a bit too much like a dare.

I don't drink alcohol at all anymore but even back in the day I don't think I would have gotten all the way through a whole room temperature Blackest ale. I used to enjoy interesting beers but that sounds a bit too much like a dare.

It's nothing compared to some of the barleywines that are produced locally.

I'm more interested in British goods like this:
unknown+red+console.jpg

This is from 10cc's Strawbery Studio, where they made "I'm not in love"

Last edited:
I didn't know what to expect from the Jelly Babies. I was just Wow now I'll get to see what they taste like. I'd forgotten about them. So it was nostalgic sitting in my truck sampling the different ones. Maybe this particular brand isn't the best as Noor says, but the Liquorice was really good.

Honestly the only thing I regularly buy is a plum pudding and the cross & Blackwell hard sauce and that's at Christmas time. It's probably awful by British standards but it's better than nothing. It always reminds me of that scene in the dickens classic scrooge when the pudding comes to the table.

I might sample a few of the candy bars my next trip. Any recommendations?

You see, if you hadn't had that silly Revolution you could be enjoying 'candy stores' like this.

Of the small section you have there, I'd recommend a Lion bar. But what on earth is a 'Coffee Crisp'? Don't they mean 'toffee'?

Jelly Babies, bite the legs off first, then they can't run away.

Jelly Babies, bite the legs off first, then they can't run away.

^this

as for recommendations, for me it has to be the Bounty bars - cool coconut wrapped in chocolate BUT eat it chilled from the fridge and if they have the dark chocolate that's the best.

H took a jar of coleman's mustard home with him :)

lol. it's so funny how americans think we all live in tiny villages with corner shops. most of us have urban or suburban lives (more's the pity) and buy from both local shops and huge supermarkets.

i've not tasted american chocolate (unless M&M's count) but i hear most people who've tried it say it's not like actual chocolate - candy being the operative word, i guess. so the demand might be from brits who want a taste of home or americans who've visited britland and realise how rubbish the candy is by comparison. :D having said that, though, the chocolate bars on display in your links ain't all that.

cadbury's fruit n nut or whole nut. *nods*

Back