Let Your Geek Flag Fly!

orgamimime

Literotica Guru
Okay, so over Labor Day weekend, I had the opportunity to check out Dragon-Con here in Atlanta. For those of you that don't know, it's a huge convention for fans of fantasy, sci-fi, conspiracy theories, and all the like. I had never thought I would get into that sort of thing, but I wanted to check it out because tens of thousands of people go and a lot of them dress up in costumes. Surprisingly, I liked it. It's kind of like Lit where people are who they are and just be who they really want to be. There are so many wonderful and attractive people in both places!

So, I was wondering if there are any other so-called-geeks around that can help me get a better understanding of the whole thing. This could also be a place to just generally convene and chat! I figured it's a natural combination. Sex and fantasy...

There are indeed geeks around, and I have been to DragonCon, it is a good Convention.

There are indeed geeks around, and I have been to DragonCon, it is a good Convention.

Nice to meet you Niv.

I only went on Sunday so it was hard to get a feel for the whole weekend. It seemed pretty awesome from what I gathered!

oh my god, two of my fav people chatting about geek things. Holy crap, I think I now have a new fantasy!

I'm sorry, but a fantasy that will never come true :p

I work very close to one of the hotels that hosts DragonCon so that Friday before Labor Day we always spend the better part of the afternoon wandering around the hotels looking at the costumes. :) (and yes, avoiding work) Can't say I ever really identified with that whole scene necessarily, but it certainly looks like they have a great time!

Somewhere on my phone is a picture of R2-D2... that was pretty cool!

I work very close to one of the hotels that hosts DragonCon so that Friday before Labor Day we always spend the better part of the afternoon wandering around the hotels looking at the costumes. :) (and yes, avoiding work) Can't say I ever really identified with that whole scene necessarily, but it certainly looks like they have a great time!

Somewhere on my phone is a picture of R2-D2... that was pretty cool!

I think I was kind of awestruck by the immensity of it all. It does look like they had a blast! It's hard to believe that some of the folks bring like 2 costumes a DAY!!!

Nice to hear from a fellow southerner Pandora. Stop by any time even if you don't identify!

I just don't see how some of them stand the HEAT in some of those costumes!! :eek: My hat's off to them... that's dedication!! ;)

My impression is that it's a bit like a Ren faire, thank GOD for Ren faires or I'd never have tank tops that say "Wench" or dresses that make the girls look like a shelf for a waiting mug of beer. Fantasy in and of itself is often an escape from reality, and I think that's pretty universal between the two?

Yup, that is indeed the draw of fantasy for some. For others the time period, especially speaking about ren-faires, draws the interest. Many people wish they could have lived then, but not I, I love technology to much.

btw, I love ren faires, Nashville hosts a most excellent one each year. I have also been to the one outside of the Twin Cities in MN, it is quite awesome as well.

Okay, so over Labor Day weekend, I had the opportunity to check out Dragon-Con here in Atlanta. For those of you that don't know, it's a huge convention for fans of fantasy, sci-fi, conspiracy theories, and all the like. I had never thought I would get into that sort of thing, but I wanted to check it out because tens of thousands of people go and a lot of them dress up in costumes. Surprisingly, I liked it. It's kind of like Lit where people are who they are and just be who they really want to be. There are so many wonderful and attractive people in both places!

So, I was wondering if there are any other so-called-geeks around that can help me get a better understanding of the whole thing. This could also be a place to just generally convene and chat! I figured it's a natural combination. Sex and fantasy...

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! Welcome to the dark side! :D:cool:

My impression is that it's a bit like a Ren faire, thank GOD for Ren faires or I'd never have tank tops that say "Wench" or dresses that make the girls look like a shelf for a waiting mug of beer. Fantasy in and of itself is often an escape from reality, and I think that's pretty universal between the two?

Exactly! You should come on down. Bring the kids - there were plenty little ones running around in costumes. Kind of like a four day trick or treat. Ironically in one of the panels, I was sitting next to someone from Minnesota...

Yup, that is indeed the draw of fantasy for some. For others the time period, especially speaking about ren-faires, draws the interest. Many people wish they could have lived then, but not I, I love technology to much.

btw, I love ren faires, Nashville hosts a most excellent one each year. I have also been to the one outside of the Twin Cities in MN, it is quite awesome as well.

mmhmm, my fav time of the year, the Ren faire here in MN. <sigh>

Exactly! You should come on down. Bring the kids - there were plenty little ones running around in costumes. Kind of like a four day trick or treat. Ironically in one of the panels, I was sitting next to someone from Minnesota...

something I will have to add to my list!

Ok, to answer your question about geek-dom... let's see... can you answer these questions;

What are the serial numbers to the USS Enterprise? (TNG only.)

Do you know what TNG in reference to Trek means?

What does the TARDIS look like?

Where was the Joker's VERY first appearance?

How man blades were on Prince Talon's sword in 'The Sword and the Sorcerer'?

Just a few quiz questions. And yes, to the fellow geeks looking at this, these are ALL from movies and comics and TV! Sorry, I'm not as good a gaming geek as I am movies and comics. :eek:

Being a geek is being proud of what you are but not being a schmuck about it. It's like being a martial-artist of the brain; yes you're pretty dang smart, no you don't look at the world the same way everyone else does, however you never carry yourself like you know EVERYTHING.

Ok, to answer your question about geek-dom... let's see... can you answer these questions;

What are the serial numbers to the USS Enterprise? (TNG only.)

Do you know what TNG in reference to Trek means?

What does the TARDIS look like?

Where was the Joker's VERY first appearance?

How man blades were on Prince Talon's sword in 'The Sword and the Sorcerer'?

Just a few quiz questions. And yes, to the fellow geeks looking at this, these are ALL from movies and comics and TV! Sorry, I'm not as good a gaming geek as I am movies and comics. :eek:

Being a geek is being proud of what you are but not being a schmuck about it. It's like being a martial-artist of the brain; yes you're pretty dang smart, no you don't look at the world the same way everyone else does, however you never carry yourself like you know EVERYTHING.

And I thought in true geek fashion, shouldn't you say, "Can you answer me, these questions three?" If that was the case, I could answer the first three. The last two, not so much. The joker part is too specific for my experience. I didn't even know there was a Prince Talon anywhere. I think you made that one up! haha Just kidding.

And I thought in true geek fashion, shouldn't you say, "Can you answer me, these questions three?" If that was the case, I could answer the first three. The last two, not so much. The joker part is too specific for my experience. I didn't even know there was a Prince Talon anywhere. I think you made that one up! haha Just kidding.

chuckle. Or I could say 'If you answer the blue question, you back to your mundane life. If you answer the RED question, you see where the rabbit hole goes.' :D

chuckle. Ah, Prince Talon is from a VERY old fantasy film called 'Sword and the Sorcerer'. It's REALLY bad. chuckle.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084749/

chuckle. Or I could say 'If you answer the blue question, you back to your mundane life. If you answer the RED question, you see where the rabbit hole goes.' :D

chuckle. Ah, Prince Talon is from a VERY old fantasy film called 'Sword and the Sorcerer'. It's REALLY bad. chuckle.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084749/

Imagine how different the Matrix would have been if Neo had chosen Blue...

And in the Sword... wasn't the villan played bby that character actor with the white hair and kind of bad complexion? And wasn't it pretty much a B movie, too?

Back