Severe writers block

Kitkat103

Waiting for Daylight
I had no idea where to post this. The how to section only seems to be for women with the stank crotch or sexless marriages.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get over writers block. A couple months ago I was churning out a new story each day. Then I went to New York and I was just adding snippets to each stories or just editing them. Now I open a document and just stare or watch my kitten lurk around the keyboard.

Any ideas for me to work this out? SERIOUS RESPONSES ONLY!"

Thanks for looking!

You got no story in your noodle. If you got a story all it needs is improving.

Most 'writers' start with a brainfart and it fizzles quickly cuz there aint nuthin to it other than the stink and noise.

Most 'writers' start with a brainfart and it fizzles quickly cuz there aint nuthin to it other than the stink and noise.

Okay Daddy Warbucks, how does that help me?

Try writing a sequel to one of your previous stories. You already are familiar with the characters and the 'plot' can simply come from where ever you left off. This way you are not quite starting from scratch and maybe as you work on that, the Muse will drift over to see what you're doing and jump on in.

Just an idea.

I had no idea where to post this. The how to section only seems to be for women with the stank crotch or sexless marriages.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get over writers block. A couple months ago I was churning out a new story each day. Then I went to New York and I was just adding snippets to each stories or just editing them. Now I open a document and just stare or watch my kitten lurk around the keyboard.

Any ideas for me to work this out? SERIOUS RESPONSES ONLY!"

Thanks for looking!

Don't push it. Take a break. Paint a room. Clean a closet. Take a break. Opening a document and staring it will get you nowhere, as you already know. So walk away until you have an idea threatening to burst from your mind.

Try writing a sequel to one of your previous stories. You already are familiar with the characters and the 'plot' can simply come from where ever you left off. This way you are not quite starting from scratch and maybe as you work on that, the Muse will drift over to see what you're doing and jump on in.

Just an idea.

Yeah some of these stories that I started actually are sequels. At first I had ideas f that could stretch out for four chapters.

Don't push it. Take a break. Paint a room. Clean a closet. Take a break. Opening a document and staring it will get you nowhere, as you already know. So walk away until you have an idea threatening to burst from your mind.

Yes you are right. Its just that I have not posted a story for a year and I really wanted to submit something. But I guess you can't rush these things.

Yes you are right. Its just that I have not posted a story for a year and I really wanted to submit something. But I guess you can't rush these things.

Unless you have a contract, then there isn't a deadline. A story will happen when it's ready. Until then, don't push it.

Okay Daddy Warbucks, how does that help me?

It helps you know whats missing...a story in your noodle. If you had a story you wouldnt have a writers block problem, you'd have other problems that are soon fixed.

Just an idea.

You obviously dont understand what a plot is.

I find sometimes you just have to force yourself, just write one word and the rest might just come.
It also helps if you feel good about yourself when you write, no idea how to force that but it's a thought.

Try and start writing something everyday, even if it is just about your day. Sometimes that can spark ideas. Some people say giving yourself a deadline helps. For me, when I am feeling stuck, it is just getting started that helps. Kind of like a crack in a dam, it starts with a trickle and before you know it the words start flowing. And remember someone (Hemmingway I think) once said "The first draft of anything is shit." Hope this helps a little bit.

Sometimes it helps not to think about where you want your story to go, not to think about the plot when you start, and just to type down whatever comes to your mind.

I'm a walking writer's block, stumble from story to story, and only seem to be able to work if I'm bored and got absolutely no clue what I want to write. Then out of nowhere the first sentence starts writing itself - and from there on it's just picking stray fantasies and putting them one after another.

It doesn't really matter how many stories you begin, you don't need to finish them all - just try a few impromptu beginnings, and stick with those that keep you going for at least one site.

This happens to me a LOT

I force myself to write at least one sentence a day. Usually, I know where I'm going, but I just don't want to get there, so I force myself to write at least one sentence every time I'm on the computer. Eventually, I get past the sticky part and the writer's block goes away.

Hear that? Smell that? Get used to it every time this dude posts.

Just an idea.

Or take minor characters from one of your stories and develop a separate, full story from them. That's how my current posted series was born.

Interview your characters. Or write a journal entry from their POV. It really helps you to get to know them.

A few years ago I read an anecdote about a writer who would block out her writing time every day, and forced herself to sit at her desk. She didn't force herself to write while she was sitting there, but she wasn't allowed to do anything else. So eventually she'd start writing out of boredom.

Tougher to do in the Internet age, but I've had some success with it.

Take a shower, and just let the water run until a story starts to form. I find the flowing water, and some mint almost always get me thinking and just sort of let your mind (and hands) play until you have a story. Don't get out until you have a definite story arc and then write down all your ideas. Even if you don't have time to write that story you can pick up the ideas later and keep going when you get stuck.

I agree with the poster who says sit at the desk/computer. Say for ten minutes. If a story idea doesn't come, just start typing, even nonsense. eventually, something will take shape.

To avoid the feeling of staring at the blank page put music on, bounce a ball, or start filling the page from a random word or sentence generator.

OR start typing a description of the room. Then imagine people in it or entering it. Who are they? Why are they there (sex obviously, this is Lit), So what sort of sex?

OR since Sharon liked plasma television, how does she feel about the new front load washer?

though since I'm a fan of dad-daughter incest, I'd rather know what Stephanie gets up to next.

Last edited:
Just think about Duck Tales.

Woo Hoo!

It'll rattle throughout your brain so much that you'll come up with tons of ideas just to try and drown it out of your skull.

But it won't work! :eek:

Wow. I am stuck right now and have done a few things listed (Mostly forcing one sentence at a time, and the random thought thingy) but I will apply more of these to start writing more. Thank You all very much for these wonderful ideas.

As for the brain fart idea, isn't that what every story started as at one time or another? Although a bit terse and maybe graphic, it had an inkling of truth to it.

Major Writers Block

I'm having major writers block. Usually stories flow easily, but for the last month maybe longer I lost track of how long really. I just can't get myself motivated to write. I use to go to Borders to write and could write up to 10-20 pages while there. Now that Borders is gone, I'm really stuck writing, and I thought maybe if I edit some of the stories I have finished would help me get ideas or least add a new section to the current stories. I don't like to edit my own stories because then I end up changing the whole storyline then have to redo it all, so I have been avoiding editing as well.

What are some suggestions or ideas to help undo this writers block? This is driving me nuts and it is becoming frustrating as hell. Writing has always been my passion and it has been away for me to release frustration and more while stirring up ideas for new hot stories. HELP!

I'm having major writers block. Usually stories flow easily, but for the last month maybe longer I lost track of how long really. I just can't get myself motivated to write. I use to go to Borders to write and could write up to 10-20 pages while there. Now that Borders is gone, I'm really stuck writing, and I thought maybe if I edit some of the stories I have finished would help me get ideas or least add a new section to the current stories. I don't like to edit my own stories because then I end up changing the whole storyline then have to redo it all, so I have been avoiding editing as well.

What are some suggestions or ideas to help undo this writers block? This is driving me nuts and it is becoming frustrating as hell. Writing has always been my passion and it has been away for me to release frustration and more while stirring up ideas for new hot stories. HELP!

I posted some tips earlier in this thread. In addition to those, I agree finding an editor & clearing the decks should help. Also finding a new writing venue. For many writers, place counts. Time to tour coffeeshops?

Back