Chat room transcripts and phone sex

MayorReynolds

Appropriate Length
I'm currently planning out my second story for Literotica and I was wondering what you guys thought about a couple aspects of the narrative.

First, the male character initially meets a soon-to-be-lover in an IRC chatroom. Now, my plan isn't to saturate the narrative with pages and pages of this, but I wanted to have at least parts of their opening conversation read like a chat transport. Something along the lines of:

AllliCatSmiles6924: So you just broke up, huh? Sorry bout that :-(
CaptainMal: Sorry about what? I couldn't be happier!
AlliCatSmiles6924: Good to know ;-)

The chat part only makes up the opening parts of the story. But soon Malcolm and Allison move from chatting to talking on the phone and eventually phone sex.

Would setting up some of the dialogue like a chat transcript be distracting and off putting to readers? And how do readers feel about phone sex, especially male ones, since Malcolm is most likely going to be jerking off while he listens to Allison cum over the phone?

I'm currently planning out my second story for Literotica and I was wondering what you guys thought about a couple aspects of the narrative.

First, the male character initially meets a soon-to-be-lover in an IRC chatroom. Now, my plan isn't to saturate the narrative with pages and pages of this, but I wanted to have at least parts of their opening conversation read like a chat transport. Something along the lines of:

AllliCatSmiles6924: So you just broke up, huh? Sorry bout that :-(
CaptainMal: Sorry about what? I couldn't be happier!
AlliCatSmiles6924: Good to know ;-)

The chat part only makes up the opening parts of the story. But soon Malcolm and Allison move from chatting to talking on the phone and eventually phone sex.

Would setting up some of the dialogue like a chat transcript be distracting and off putting to readers? And how do readers feel about phone sex, especially male ones, since Malcolm is most likely going to be jerking off while he listens to Allison cum over the phone?
I'd read the story if there wasn't much more chat speak than what you've shown, but much more than that and I'd click out of it. I'd make the transition to real conversation fairly quickly. Phone sex would be fine, especially if the narrator lets the reader see what the characters are doing.

If its not a lot I think it can add to the realism of the story

One hint though I would put all the "chat-talk" in italics.

That's what I do when I have my characters text each other.

I think it's fine to do it that way for brief stretches, but I wouldn't do pages of it. You might also consider only writing out the highlights, and avoiding having too much chat speak by glossing over the fluff by saying things like, "We picked a restaurant for Friday night and set a time: 8:00pm."

I'd also consider how grammatically correct you want to make your chat speak. If it's written in leet speak, people may not want to go through it. I'd recommend keeping it pretty correct, with proper punctuation and capitalization &c. It's probably less realistic, depending on who's typing (although I always chat with correct spelling and grammar), but it'll be easier to read. Just assume they're very anal about proper grammar. It can work with more realistic spelling and grammar, but I think it'd be more likely to turn a reader off.

Back