Favorite mis-used words and phrases....

Although if I pause to think, many words and phrases are American English, almost none jar as seeming wrong . However, the use of fit as a past tense instead of fitted never seems quite right.

I feel it like a written bump in the road. I know what the writer means but it hasn't quite jelled in my mind.
 
The inability to sort correctly through the words: Credible, incredible, credulous and incredulous.

I see people who want to use the fanciest sounding word possible, writing things like "I didn't find his excuse credulous at all."
 
I'm surprised at how often "lose" and "loose" are mixed up. I've seen that in at least a few stories on this site.

I confess, Yes, I did it on one of my earlier stories, not so much a spelling error as a couple of typos. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
 
When I was a kid, there was a joke: "'Ain't' ain't in the dictionary."

...

Mrs Fletcher, my second grade teacher, (and wife of the doctor who delivered me and many of my classmates,) wrote "Ain't" on a piece of paper, tore it up and tossed it into the trash, then informed us that the word no longer existed, and would never again be spoken in her classroom.

I don't recall ever saying it since.
 
Mrs Fletcher, my second grade teacher, (and wife of the doctor who delivered me and many of my classmates,) wrote "Ain't" on a piece of paper, tore it up and tossed it into the trash, then informed us that the word no longer existed, and would never again be spoken in her classroom.

I don't recall ever saying it since.

Mrs. Fletcher sounds like one of the nuns at St. Gotosleepafraid's School, who performed similarly. Actually, I've always been thankful for that education - when I was finally allowed to enter the public school system, I thought, "These kids don't know anything!"
 
Mrs Fletcher, my second grade teacher, (and wife of the doctor who delivered me and many of my classmates,) wrote "Ain't" on a piece of paper, tore it up and tossed it into the trash, then informed us that the word no longer existed, and would never again be spoken in her classroom.

I take it she wasn't a fan of Twain or Dickens.

(My fifth-grade teacher told us that the most important thing to learn from school was neat handwriting because no matter how commonplace typing became in business, employers would always expect job applications to be hand-written.)
 
One of my primary school teachers used to say 'there's no such things as a sudden'.
I don't think I've written (or even said) 'all of a sudden' since.
 
My mother-in-law, although a fluent English speaker, sometimes makes some endearing slips, e.g.:
- the cast iron frying pan is the 'iron cast' pan.
- she gets 'the jet legs' after a long haul flight
- we get a coffee at the 'cafe', said to rhyme with 'waif'.
 
Peeked curiosity, or a fit of peak.

"It seems to me that..." and other voluble weaseling.

Limited vocabularies. C'mon, learn more words!

peek/peak are my pet peeves, which happens in here more than anywhere else, because people's curiousity is so often 'peaked'.
Sigh.
 
Back
Top