Always the Last Ones Picked

sirhugs

Riding to the Rescue
Joined
Jan 25, 2002
Posts
40,358
Zach and Zelda were used to being last- alphabetically and in every way. Classmates from the beginning, they were awkward and average in every way. They also happen to share a birthday. February 29 of course. Whenever sports teams were picked, or science partners, they were always last chosen, and often throown together as leftovers.

In senior year, they went to prom together, because neither of them had ever had a date. [do they lose their virginity together?]


After graduation, they go their separate ways- Zach joins the army, Zelda goes off to college. But their last time together they make a pact- if they are still single at 40, they will find each other and get married. This is the year*...

[or are they about to be 40 year old virgins?]

[*yes, I know, no Feb 29 this year, but use your imagination]
 
Kinda serious question, how does Laurel deal with Feb 29 birthdays and the 18+ rule? I'd assume common sense would prevail and they don't have to wait until their 70s before they can be written about on Lit?
 
Kinda serious question, how does Laurel deal with Feb 29 birthdays and the 18+ rule? I'd assume common sense would prevail and they don't have to wait until their 70s before they can be written about on Lit?

the leap year b'day is just another way to shower the characters with more loserdom in my idea, but I expect Lit, like life, allows them to celebrate the "off" years on Feb 28 or March 1.
 
I like it... my only thought is that 40 seems a bit too long to wait.

That's because you're a grumpy old coot from back when 19 and unmarried was a spinster. Oh, wait. That's a mirror.

But, yeah. Found this online. So, maybe it's not so big a stretch.

However, I'd argue for 38 (their 20-year high school reunion). (Or almost 10, considering they are leap year babies.)

If I were to do it, I'd probably have them lose their virginity prom night. But, then I'd also probably make them *cough* less than prime specimens of their respective genders. Toss in a sprinkle of yearning for the other as they realize over time just how much they actually felt for each other. BUT, their self-esteem issues keep them from getting in touch before that particular day.

Maybe even toss in a couple of failed relationships along the way that they eventually realize failed because they really wanted to wait for her/him.

And, of course, being me, I'd have to make them the best looking couple and most successful at their reunion, everyone else having peaked in high school or college. :D

Yeah... probably better I leave this one alone and let someone else who won't turn it into a faux Danielle Steele effort have a crack. :cool:
 
Maybe even toss in a couple of failed relationships along the way that they eventually realize failed because they really wanted to wait for her/him.

And, of course, being me, I'd have to make them the best looking couple and most successful at their reunion, everyone else having peaked in high school or college. :D
You could combine these two ideas, with them both having been professionally successful in the intervening years, but both ending up in relationships where the other person was only really interested in them for their wealth and status.

By the time they get to the reunion party, they both realise that the only person who ever loved them for who they truly were was the other one in their little loser club, which would then help them rekindle their relationship from all those years earlier.
 
Back
Top