Our stories

pillum

Pillum
Joined
Nov 3, 2012
Posts
13
Are some of our stories (especially the earlier ones) sort of wannabe autobiographical?
 
some of mine are autobiographical.........some published, some in draft. i started by doing autobiography and then decided to do my fantasies.
 
Mine are all fantasies. My life isn't nearly interesting enough to be worth an autobiography.
 
My stories have some basis in my life experiences but none are autobiographical.

Some of them are about impossible events on worlds I have created from my imagination. Some are about impossible sexual practices including frequent sex with ghosts.

What I have done; what I have seen; what I have read - all of those and more are useful for writing stories. Most of my stories start with a disclaimer that the story is fictional. That is a true statement.
 
Nearly all my characters are based on someone I know, but not to the extent that they would likely recognize themselves. It helps me keep them straight by knowing what they look like and how they might react to things. It also helps readers in that I use their little personal quirks to differentiate them in subtle ways.

Nearly all the locations are places I've been, and many of the situations, e.g. motorcycle touring, sailing and avocado farming are things I've done or currently do.

The plots are new (to me). I just set them in familiar places, then throw in people I know. I let them react the way I imagine they would. It's interesting that I've learned to appreciate certain things about friends I never stopped to think about before.

rj
 
* * * * * * * * * *
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Are some of our stories (especially the earlier ones) sort of wannabe autobiographical?

My novel would have been submitted as memoir if Lit had such a category. (I think it should.)

I am now working on a wholly fictional novel.
 
Somebody who knew me well could certainly find bits they recognised in my stories, but at the most it's at the level Hollywood calls "Inspired by true events", which is a step below "Based on a true story", which is still a long way short of actual truth.
 
I have one story series which is essentially true, with very few literary add ons. My male characters are basically variations of me at different points in my life, my female protagonists either are inspired by someone I've known or they come screaming out of my sub-conscious - "who the hell are you, where did you come from?" My erotic encounters are a mix of truth and lie.
 
None of my stories are true, but some of the first person ones have my actual experiences in their backgrounds. For the most part, I just wish they were true.
 
My novel would have been submitted as memoir if Lit had such a category. (I think it should.)

I am now working on a wholly fictional novel.

I have enjoyed yours. The perspective has been good to understand.
:rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:
 
My characters are generally based on real people I've known for brief periods of time and would like to know more about but can't - so I just write a fantasy story about them.

The occupations my characters have are often the same/very similar to people I know or that I've had, and the areas where my stories are set are ones that I have links to/live in/lived in but I never use the precise suburb or precise occupation.

Honestly, nobody would want to read about my life. It's just not noteworthy in any way. But I like to think that others have more interesting love affairs, so I make up stories to suit.

I've been asked if one of my stories is fictional or autobiographical on several occasions and I take it as a compliment that my characters and the storyline are believable.
 
My characters are generally based on real people I've known for brief periods of time and would like to know more about but can't - so I just write a fantasy story about them.
.

That's an interesting approach.
 
That's an interesting approach.

I'll take bits and pieces of real people and events and mix them in to my stories. There's lots of me in my protagonists but theres also lots that isn't and it all gets mixed in and blended. Most of its pure fiction tho. Sometimes it'll be something I saw or heard or read and that's enough to spark off an entire story.
 
My stories aren't autobiographical at all. The story lines aren't based on my personal fantasies, though they may become personal fantasies temporarily while I'm writing. My male protagonist usually has something of my character. The women aren't based on real people, but they may have characteristics of women I've known.
 
All of my stories have fantasy in them, most are all fantasy, but one or two started with the thought "what if" when I thought of situations in the past. After that I blew things way out of recognition.

As someone else said I have lead a very boring life.
 
I tend to think more along the lines of 'would people like to read this?' and write accordingly.

For example, my first story was about a shy 18-year-old guy who is seduced by his best friend's older sister, a hot 20-year-old college student on whom he has a crush. The appeal here is obvious. Many Erotic Couplings readers would want to read a story about a 20-year-old girl and an 18-year-old guy having sex.
 
Back
Top