Ambiguity

xmas_vixen

Virgin
To all,

I recently had a story rejected because of an age (under 18?) issue. I re-read the story and could find no reference to age anywhere. I generally leave the details like age and build up to the minds of the reader. I want the audience to fill in the, well, holes with their own ideas; as if they were watching a "golden era" horror.

So, from other writers, how do you tackle an editor's demand for concrete details vice your desire to allow the reader to tailor the experience?

Thanks all,
Xmas_Vixen

Leave a note in the notes section, saying there are no underage references.

But the most common thing writers do is put a disclaimer on the top of the story saying that none of the characters are under the age of 18.

First, it may just be a mistake that it was rejected, and all you have to do is refile and answer the question posed (it was in the form of a question, wasn't it, not a statement). If you don't think there's any underage in it, you can just try saying there isn't. It's worked for me a couple of times. The stories can only be scanned before the editor makes a decision--too many of them have to be passed every day.

Barring that, you might have someone else look at it before you abandon posting it in case they can see the problem. You could PM me for an e-mail to send it to, and I'd see if I saw the problem.

I don't specify age in all of my stories, so that's not a requirement. I do try to include in the background at least some indication that they are older than high school.

I don't like the idea of defensive disclaimers at the top. If I was the editor I'd see that as a reason to scrutinize for that issue-- because the author just saying it means squat.

Thanks all. I re-applied and said that there was no age reference.

So how about the idea of what to leave up to imagination? I usually don't care to read about ages/weights/heights. Crap like that just feels like the author is shoving it down my throat. No pun intended.

Thanks for the re-assurance.

~Xmas

Thanks all. I re-applied and said that there was no age reference.

So how about the idea of what to leave up to imagination? I usually don't care to read about ages/weights/heights. Crap like that just feels like the author is shoving it down my throat. No pun intended.

Thanks for the re-assurance.

~Xmas

I eschew ages (except to note that a character is 18+) and exact measurements and detailed descriptions of body types (other than skin, hair and eye color) in my stories precisely to give the readers an opportunity to become involved with and visualize the characters as they see fit.

It's what I refer to as the 'Theater of the Mind' technique. ;)

Welcome to the AH. :rose:

I don't know what AH is.

I'm glad to see others share my ideas on "knowing your audience".

Thanks all.

To all,

I recently had a story rejected because of an age (under 18?) issue. I re-read the story and could find no reference to age anywhere. I generally leave the details like age and build up to the minds of the reader. I want the audience to fill in the, well, holes with their own ideas; as if they were watching a "golden era" horror.

So, from other writers, how do you tackle an editor's demand for concrete details vice your desire to allow the reader to tailor the experience?

Thanks all,
Xmas_Vixen

Quick question. You say you state age nowhere in the story, but what do the characters, act/dress/speak like?

If they speak like they are too young or act that way the site may read into it.

Just an idea.

Back