New Poem Recommendations

The Poets

Really Really Experienced
Joined
Jul 2, 2002
Posts
456
This thread is for New Poem recommendations only. If you want to discuss a recommended poem or thank someone for commenting on and/or recommending your poem, do it here.

Since 2001 poets here have been volunteering to list, recommend or review the new poems that are posted daily on Literotica's New Poems page. What's the connection between that page and this forum? Why would you want to read new poems, comment on them and then come back here and recommend them? Why should you care about inviting new poets to the forum? Here are a few reasons:

1) If you make an investment in giving feedback and recommending poems, it will make you a better poet. The experience of giving feedback will, over time, make you better at identifying what works in a poem (and the opposite) and at how to say so in a comment. (And if you don't know how that should work, you can use the FAQ and resources in this thread to help you learn.) The more thinking and commenting you do, the more you'll be able to apply your ideas to your own writing.

2) Many of us discovered the forum because someone here read our poems, commented on them and invited us to join in. Whether that was your experience or not, you can pay those past favors forward by doing the same for someone new.

3) New poets bring new ideas and inspiration with them. They add new voices to our mix, new conversations about poetry and fresh perspectives. We can all benefit from that.

So are you willing to get more involved in recommending new poems? We hope so! Use the following FAQ if you're not sure it's for you or you have questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who should recommend new poems? I don't think I know enough to do that.

Anyone can recommend a new poem in this thread. Anyone. All you really need is a willingness to read new poems and recommend what you like. If you read a new poem and thought it was good enough to tell someone else about, you're qualified.

What is the best way to recommend a new poem?
There is no best way. If you just want to say, "I like this poem. You should read it" that's fine. If you want to say more and go into detail, that's also fine. If you want to see a variety of styles to recommend or review, read through the old recommendations threads that are linked under Resources, following this FAQ.

I don't have a lot of time for this. Do I have to make a commitment to do it on certain days or to recommend a lot of poems at one time?
No! If you want to recommend a bunch of new poems every day, go for it. If you only have time to make one recommendation once in a while that's ok. You can be as obsessive or spontaneous about it as you want. But you will definitely discover that the more you do it, the more you will be thinking about poetry overall and there are benefits to that.

Somebody else recommended a poem I was going to recommend. Can I still post my recommendation?
Sure. You may not feel it's necessary, but usually the more recommendations a poem gets here, the more people will likely go and read it. Your recommendation can be as simple as saying, "I agree about Poem X." Or you can say more.

Do I need to provide any links when I make a recommendation?
You don't have to but it is helpful to provide a link to the poem you recommend, by name. Some people link to the poet's submissions page as well. If you don't know how to set up a link, follow these instructions, making sure to substitute a plain bracket [ where you see a fancy bracket { (the instructions have to use the fancy bracket so you can see the code).

type {url=

paste the URL of the page you are linking immediately after the equals sign and add a closing bracket, no spaces, like this
{url=http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=378271}

type the name of whatever you are referencing and immediately follow it with the closing code, like this
{url=http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=378271}Sexy Beast{/url}

That's it. Your link will look like this
Sexy Beast



Can I post an excerpt or the whole poem here when I recommend it?
A link to the poem is best. Short excerpts are fine, too, but please do not post an entire poem. Poets may want to remove a poem from Lit and try to publish it elsewhere. If you post the whole poem in this thread, they can't say a poem is not published somewhere else (something many editors require) because that poem has, in effect, been published in this thread. So don't put anyone in that predicament!

Do I have to let a poet know I'm recommending their poem on the forum?
You don't have to but you should. The easiest way to do that is to tell them when you leave your comment on a poem (because you are leaving a comment, right?). If it's a new poet who likely doesn't know we exist, you can also invite them to the forum. If you do comment and/or invite, you can copy and paste the URL address from the main forum page, this thread or your individual post in this thread into your comment. Yes it takes a minute and you have to go back and forth, but you give the poet the chance to see your recommendation by doing so.

Resources

New Poems Page

To Keep the Review Thread Clean

Previous Recommendations Threads (starting with the most recent one)

New Poetry Recommendations

New Poem Recommendations

The New Poems List
 
Last edited by a moderator:
7/22/13

If you head over to new poems today, do not miss~

Salt Lick by darkmaas. It deserves a nice red H for hot and if enough of you vote and comment, it'll get one.

Congrats to darkmaas on being the first poet recommended in the new thread. Cue the confetti and pop the corks.

And then there is Dinka, the African God of the Cock and really, who wouldn't want to read that? It's by erectus123, a poet with more stories than Scheherazade and a very good way with words. This one rhymes. He usually doesn't, I've noticed.
 
Last edited:
I haven't read them all yet but my favourite so far is Samovar it crosses the pond perfectly with visions of a very naughty Aunt among the Cucumber sandwiches and Earl Grey Tea!
 
7/23/13

Lots of good reading in today's new poems. I agree with Harry's recommendations and also like:

One Summer from Remec, which is a great story with some lovely lines

FaceFuckBook#130-Belinda. It is not at all what you might think from the title and again he is rhyming, which is not my cup of tea, usually. It's a look at someone who would be invisible to most people and is, in its way, a moving piece of writing.

But my favorite today is Dandelion's Dance by Neonurotic. It's beautiful with excellent use of metaphor. You really should read it.

Go vote and/or comment. Your local poets will be so grateful.
 
7/25/2013

There are three new poems by wakingDown today that need some reads and comments. Swarm was my favorite of the three.

And don't miss Raw by case28. It's scorchingly hot and very meaty.
 
7/28/13

I don't have a lot of extra time to go into detail, but the new poems submissions are rocking today. There are poems from Senna Jawa, Normal Jean, erectus, Educated Owl and OpenField, among others. It us a very good day for new poems.
 
I don't have a lot of extra time to go into detail, but the new poems submissions are rocking today. There are poems from Senna Jawa, Normal Jean, erectus, Educated Owl and OpenField, among others. It us a very good day for new poems.

Thanks for the plug, Angelique.

I am particularly impressed by OpenField's latest, "Control". Very human and makes use of some great images.
 
Hey guess what? It's August 1 and that is usually a dead zone here, but the new poems list is long with a lot of good reading. I haven't had a chance to read them all yet but today is a very good day in new poems land.
 
8/03/13

Go have a look at new poems today. UnderYourSpell has her entry from the contest posted, Todski has a new submission and erectus has a poem that can get you thinking for any number of reasons.
 
Tzara's new piece Kirlian on new poems I think is a must read, it is a display on erotica that is not over the top in gratuitous details and engages emotion and physicality.
Also Underyourspells piece from the five sense challenge needs a red H coz it's hot

(I will figure out links soon)
 
Last edited:
http://www.literotica.com/p/family-history

a beautiful poem by lonelyhousewife32 a whole life story in sparse lines, may want to take some tissues.

Neo has two really great poems, as always his stuff is damn good.
http://www.literotica.com/p/fragile-5
http://www.literotica.com/p/dont-eat-cookies-in-bed

HarryHill has submitted his summer poetry entry which I think deserves another read. good stuff.
http://www.literotica.com/p/the-deflowering-of-lilly-phelps

I didn't mind so wet

by Robin_young I like what she was trying to do, and added my thoughts Harry also commented, but if you like to take a look for yourselves

http://www.literotica.com/p/so-wet-2
 
Last edited:
well she got an E and a 5 from me, take a bow underyourspell
ahh the joys (sarcasm) of life in two lines.

http://www.literotica.com/p/approaching-old-age

Not much else happening in new poems though, 3 from onieria whit his usual minimalist precision and is always worth a look
would make a great bumper sticker
there was a poem last week, authour's name began with a Q?, I think, two comments HH, and the anon (it made him cry) , while it was a bit too long and I suspect it is another goddamn alt. it was several cuts above the usual

as is this

The Deflowering of Lilly Phelps
byHarryHill©
who is no journeyman (in comparison) poet, and at times rather good (better). Ange's comment says much, perhaps too much, who is your audience?
who is going to catch this?
plow chasing mule's behind.
the interweaving of "plow" thoughout and change up?
now:
and Lilly felt that god dammed ache
start in her secret place.

the weight placed on god dammed, the fact that her secret place, while if used today would be laughable, however it is perfect for '39
the dropping of a in

walked in from hell of day

causes a slight function shift

In short, this puts you in Tristess territory, which is a damn good place to be, as I feel she is one one of the better poets here, perhaps a bit overlooked, because her work does not scream attention and actually requires some thought.

That is just my perspective, you can either value it or bite me.
Tod, would like to see a little more effort in understanding poetry than spent recommending it.
 
8/10/13

There are some great new poems posted today. My favorite is Tristesse's Rapproachment, where she finds an interesting way to subdue the rhymes in the piece, but you should definitely check out the first four poems on the list!
 
8/13/13

Few new poems I thought should be mentioned are Tess', The Poets Place, subject something recognizable to most here and me with plenty of zygotes languishing. Then also worth mentioning, Ripe Pears by OpenField who wrote a pretty smooth erotic poem, not porn like often seen on the new poem's page, although it does need little fixes here and there. One other poem, In the midst of blue, by todski28 has some good imagery, nice line: "caresses continents ".
 
Last edited:
Few new poems I thought should be mentioned are Tess', The Poets Place, subject something recognizable to most here and me with plenty of zygotes languishing. Then also worth mentioning, Ripe Pears by OpenField who wrote a pretty smooth erotic poem, not porn like often seen on the new poem's page, although it does need little fixes here and there. One other poem, In the midst of blue, by todski28 has some good imagery, nice line: "caresses continents ".

I agree and would add Twilight in the Tundra by a new poet, Kiki_cat. The poem has strong images and projects a fierceness to me.
 
Back
Top