Ask the Mouse your lingerie questions...

CutieMouse

Meticulously Flighty
Throw 'em at me.

It'll be a lingerie-nerd compendium of knowledge... or something.

*subscribed*

27712.png

I suppose I'll reask my question here since people got all pouty about us using the other thread :p

How much stock do you put in measurements for bra fitting? Every time I went by the tape (measuring at home according to the specific bra-maker's preference), I'd come out to a A/Barely-A, but when I was sized in the store, she hardly did anything anything and declared my cup size a B (of the same band size I was measuring at home)

The B-cup fit a LOT better than the A-cups and were a TON more comfortable. While I realize that measuring at home isn't as accurate as someone else measuring you, and definitely not as accurate as a professional, that's a fairly notable difference there. Is it even worth it to measure?

When buying a corset, how much smaller should it be to your natural waist measurement?

When buying a corset, how much smaller should it be to your natural waist measurement?

If I may chime in... Guessing you're ordering off the rack
The standard is 4" smaller than your natural waist.
However if you're on the curvy side you can go 4-6" smaller, and if you're thiner or athletic, I'd suggest 2-4".

Although I'm not waist training, I wear corsets a lot (a few days a week) my 24" ones fit perfectly but I have found I am almost closing them (down to an inch left) so I ordered some in size 22" and it is a huge difference, almost too much. I think I need to get back on the diet before I can wear them :(

Last edited:
I suppose I'll reask my question here since people got all pouty about us using the other thread :p

How much stock do you put in measurements for bra fitting? Every time I went by the tape (measuring at home according to the specific bra-maker's preference), I'd come out to a A/Barely-A, but when I was sized in the store, she hardly did anything anything and declared my cup size a B (of the same band size I was measuring at home)

The B-cup fit a LOT better than the A-cups and were a TON more comfortable. While I realize that measuring at home isn't as accurate as someone else measuring you, and definitely not as accurate as a professional, that's a fairly notable difference there. Is it even worth it to measure?

I don't.

I mean, a measuring tape is a good general guideline, but measuring tapes don't account for height, athleticism, age, tissue damage, width of the breasts, blahblahblahblah. And if the measuring tape is "off" (in placement) by 1/2", it throws everything off by up to two sizes. Sad Panda.

But, given that most people do use measuring tapes, and ya gotta have a starting point *somewhere*...

When "measured" I have a 33" rib, with a 4-5" difference between the rib and the bust. Which means by the "bra size calculation" method I should wear a 36A, possibly a 36B.

But I fit a 32D. [in most brands]

Every time the back changes, the cup changes, because the under-wires are graded to the size of the back - a 32D, 34D, and 36D under-wire are each very different animals. Which means that every time you change one component (back or cup; up or down), you have to change the other.

Standard is 4", although some people try to get a little more longevity out of their corsets by ordering 6" down.

If I may chime in... Guessing you're ordering off the rack
The standard is 4" smaller than your natural waist.
However if you're on the curvy side you can go 4-6" smaller, and if you're thiner or athletic, I'd suggest 2-4".

Although I'm not waist training, I wear corsets a lot (a few days a week) my 24" ones fit perfectly but I have found I am almost closing them (down to an inch left) so I ordered some in size 22" and it is a huge difference, almost too much. I think I need to get back on the diet before I can wear them :(

I waist trained for a while, and man getting below 24" was challenging...

What's the best way to deal with having boobs of different sizes? I think my one is about a half cup size smaller than the other.

What's the best way to deal with having boobs of different sizes? I think my one is about a half cup size smaller than the other.

Very few women are symmetrical; having two breasts the "same size" is actually more unusual than not having the same size. :)

Always have your bra fitted to the larger size, to avoid spilling out of the cup. If it feels like there's a gap on the smaller side, shift the tissue to fill the cup. (there will be a bit of extra space at the bottom of the cup when you do this)

Another alternative is to fit to the fuller side, in a push-up bra with removable inserts - take the insert on the fuller side out, but leave the insert in on the smaller side.

CutieMouse,

I might well be the only "Lit"ster who had the pleasure of actually being fitted by you. :) I was amazed that you could just look at me and figure out what size I needed.

I love the bras that you sold me. LM appreciated that they weren't "body armor" and I appreciated that my clothes fit better and my posture changed. Incredible what a good foundation can do!

You also turned me onto "Yummy Tummy" which isn't necessarily a good thing. :)

Would you advise that since I've just about worn out my favorite lace bra and your store is closed that I order the same style/size online? Or should I hit the local Nordstroms and get refitted there even though they don't sell the brand that I like so much?

And can you tell me (and LM) why it's so hard to find well made bras that aren't "molded foam" cups?

*muse* out of curiousity, what do you think about the recent french study that came out that concluded that the average woman's breasts actually SUFFER for the constant support? The finding was that women who wore bras consistently throughout their life experienced more sagging and loss of tone than women who went bra-less most of the time. The reasoning being that going support-less caused the body to respond appropriately and tighten shit up (so to speak).

I suppose it makes sense, but so do a lot of things that are total bullshit. Do you have a professional opinion on this matter?

**Disclaimer: my understanding of this study comes ENTIRELY from a discussion on a rock radio station.*

CutieMouse,

I might well be the only "Lit"ster who had the pleasure of actually being fitted by you. :) I was amazed that you could just look at me and figure out what size I needed.

I love the bras that you sold me. LM appreciated that they weren't "body armor" and I appreciated that my clothes fit better and my posture changed. Incredible what a good foundation can do!

You also turned me onto "Yummy Tummy" which isn't necessarily a good thing. :)

Would you advise that since I've just about worn out my favorite lace bra and your store is closed that I order the same style/size online? Or should I hit the local Nordstroms and get refitted there even though they don't sell the brand that I like so much?

And can you tell me (and LM) why it's so hard to find well made bras that aren't "molded foam" cups?

YAY! :)

Since it's been a while, I'd honestly pop into Nordstroms. If your weight hasn't fluctuated more than 10# or so, you should still be the same size, but it's always good to double check.

And it's difficult to find non-contour bras, because the majority of the public wants contour bras. American women have an odd relationship with their breasts - use 'em in advertising like there's no tomorrow, but actually acknowledge they exist/let anyone see a hint of lace or nipple? THE HORROR!!!!

*muse* out of curiousity, what do you think about the recent french study that came out that concluded that the average woman's breasts actually SUFFER for the constant support? The finding was that women who wore bras consistently throughout their life experienced more sagging and loss of tone than women who went bra-less most of the time. The reasoning being that going support-less caused the body to respond appropriately and tighten shit up (so to speak).

I suppose it makes sense, but so do a lot of things that are total bullshit. Do you have a professional opinion on this matter?

**Disclaimer: my understanding of this study comes ENTIRELY from a discussion on a rock radio station.*

I laughed. Hard.

Very small busted women (as in B or less) might not need to worry about wearing a bra, but the rest of us, do. And over time (decades), even the small busted women experience ligament damage and soft tissue atrophy, which is what causes the breast to sag.

The study also didn't mention if they were comparing women who never wore a bra vs women who wore the correct size. I'd argue that a lot of the "damage" the study found from wearing a bra, was simply because the bra was the wrong size (and thus not doing it's job).

What is a reliable brand for bras?

Without a reliable brand, what's a good price range?

I've found my size is uncommon in less expensive brands and I fear spending too much for something that may fall apart easily.

What is a reliable brand for bras?

Without a reliable brand, what's a good price range?

I've found my size is uncommon in less expensive brands and I fear spending too much for something that may fall apart easily.

That is such a complicated question... LOL

Personally, I don't think anything under $80-100 is worth buying (with a few exceptions*). I know that sounds like a hell of a lot of $$ to spend on a bra, but it's the closest thing you wear to your body, 12-18 hours a day. And the more you spend, the better the quality, the more likely you are to be comfortable.

Now part two of the "how much to spend" goes hand in hand with "paying too much for something that may fall apart easily".

The fastest way to kill a bra is through over-use. That means rotating bras, which means owning enough bras. Ideally you should never wear the same bra two days in a row, and never more than twice in one week. The more you own, the longer they last. I own a *lot* of lingerie, and on average, my bras last 3-5(+) years before the fit gets a little wonky.

Goal - 4 bras
Better - 7
Best - 10

If you have 4 bras and rotate them, they should last 6-18 months

7 bras... 18 months - ?

10 bras... 2+ years

So many women just accept the idea that bras fall apart so why spend the $$? When it actually ends up being less expensive (long term) to treat it as a long term investment. Nerd that I am - the most expensive bra in my collection cost $225 (retail). I expect it to last 5 years, which means it's only costing me .12/day. Since I only wear it once a week, it really costs me less than .02 per wearing.

Compare that to an uncomfortable $40 bra that I will probably replace every 6 months or so? Replacing a $40 bra every 6 months over a 5 year span = $400.

lol, oh man. I've been wearing the same 2 or 3 bras for MONTHS. xD Maybe that's why they don't fit quite the same...

Yeah, I keep mine for several years. :B They'll keep even longer now that I hardly wear em anymore!

I guess if that's the case, maybe it is time to at least treat myself to a nice one...

lol, oh man. I've been wearing the same 2 or 3 bras for MONTHS. xD Maybe that's why they don't fit quite the same...

Yeeeaaaahhhh... If you only own 2-3 bras, they'll be dead in 10-14 weeks. The elastic isn't meant to take that kind of abuse. :(

It's actually one of the earliest "complete" bras ever found. ;)

A new bra should fit snugly on the loosest hook (leaving two hooks free to "tighten" the back as the elastic stretches), with about 1 1/2" of ease (stretch) when it's tugged on.

The back should sit even with the under wires, low on the ribs, creating a straight line front to back. This helps the back band stay in place (because it sits on the narrowest part of the ribcage).

When the back band starts to stretch out and ride up, tighten the bra to the middle hook. When it happens again, tighten up to the tightest hook.

At that point, you have two options - take the bra to a seamstress to have the back altered down 2", or plan on replacing the bra as soon as the back starts to ride up again.

That is such a complicated question... LOL

Personally, I don't think anything under $80-100 is worth buying (with a few exceptions*). I know that sounds like a hell of a lot of $$ to spend on a bra, but it's the closest thing you wear to your body, 12-18 hours a day. And the more you spend, the better the quality, the more likely you are to be comfortable.

Now part two of the "how much to spend" goes hand in hand with "paying too much for something that may fall apart easily".

The fastest way to kill a bra is through over-use. That means rotating bras, which means owning enough bras. Ideally you should never wear the same bra two days in a row, and never more than twice in one week. The more you own, the longer they last. I own a *lot* of lingerie, and on average, my bras last 3-5(+) years before the fit gets a little wonky.

Goal - 4 bras
Better - 7
Best - 10

If you have 4 bras and rotate them, they should last 6-18 months

7 bras... 18 months - ?

10 bras... 2+ years

So many women just accept the idea that bras fall apart so why spend the $$? When it actually ends up being less expensive (long term) to treat it as a long term investment. Nerd that I am - the most expensive bra in my collection cost $225 (retail). I expect it to last 5 years, which means it's only costing me .12/day. Since I only wear it once a week, it really costs me less than .02 per wearing.

Compare that to an uncomfortable $40 bra that I will probably replace every 6 months or so? Replacing a $40 bra every 6 months over a 5 year span = $400.

>.< This is bad news for me. I could never spend that amount for bras. I do understand the long term price difference... I just don't have that kind of money to spend up front for bras. $80-$100 is just too much.

Back