Front Page Update?

Joined
Aug 19, 2012
Posts
12
Is it possible to make the "Discuss" and "Contact" options at the top of the page link to the forums and a page that explains how to contact the moderators? Is it also possible to put a link to the CHYOO FAQ stories onto the front page?
 
You're new here, aren't you.

Nothing happens to the code here. Except for the authors, editors, and moderators, no one has touched the site since that fateful day in 2006, lo these six long hard years ago. And I do mean hard.

The only powers the moderators have is to approve stories, delete reported threads, edit threads, ban annoying authors, and I think that's it.
 
You're new here, aren't you.

Nothing happens to the code here. Except for the authors, editors, and moderators, no one has touched the site since that fateful day in 2006, lo these six long hard years ago. And I do mean hard.

The only powers the moderators have is to approve stories, delete reported threads, edit threads, ban annoying authors, and I think that's it.

That actually explains a lot, like whatever happened to 3.0. Thank you!
 
You're new here, aren't you.

Nothing happens to the code here. Except for the authors, editors, and moderators, no one has touched the site since that fateful day in 2006, lo these six long hard years ago. And I do mean hard.

The only powers the moderators have is to approve stories, delete reported threads, edit threads, ban annoying authors, and I think that's it.

Well, that suck donkey balls...
I have heard from other authors that back in 2006 information was collected for an update, but appearantly nothing was done with it...

Has it ever been told why the update hasn't happened?
Or are we just being kept in the dark?
 
Like mushrooms, we are simply kept in the dark.

I personally feel that if they did a modicum of upgrades, and added Google Ads that the traffic here would garner them the funds to make it worthwhile.

But not a word since 2006.
 
I agree with Torg 100%. This is a good site. It's (almost) unique. And it has a decent community of authors and editors that have been committed to it for who the hell knows how long. With just a little bit of attention, I feel like this could be an extremely popular site. It is totally baffling to me that Chyoo has been left to fend for itself. That said, it's incredibly impressive that it's still going after 6 years of inattention. Is it crazy to think that some kind of PR blitz, say in a friendly /r/ on Reddit, might garner enough attention to get the site some love?
 
So am I correct that this also means there's no one to admin accounts?
i.e. reset passwords?
the automated function doesnt work at all.

You're new here, aren't you.

Nothing happens to the code here. Except for the authors, editors, and moderators, no one has touched the site since that fateful day in 2006, lo these six long hard years ago. And I do mean hard.

The only powers the moderators have is to approve stories, delete reported threads, edit threads, ban annoying authors, and I think that's it.
 
Is it crazy to think that some kind of PR blitz, say in a friendly /r/ on Reddit, might garner enough attention to get the site some love?

Well, we could try reviving Chyoo3. That was starting to get some traction when the site administrators for Chyoo actually fixed a few things and appointed a set of author-moderators, and the center of attention moved back here. (As best I recall).

-Z.
 
What we need is for someone with web skills to make a new site and transfer the stories with a script that copy-pastes everything over to the new one manually. The problem is that would lose all verifiable authorial ownership since there is no way to transfer the identity files without the lost admins, so either everything would have to be locked, everything would have to be open, or a manual verification would be needed (I give you a unique code, you post it in a story you own on the site, then I can see that you are who you claim and associate your account with your copied chapters manually).

I still think t would be worth it though. We are one server mistake away from everything being lost. If ANYTHING goes wrong at all, we are sunk without admins. It is time to stop pinning for them to suddenly reappear and do what can be done. Waiting for a miracle to save all your work is not a good plan.

BTW the state of the site is why I stopped posting. I'm not going to put out effort to make content that could vanish the second I post it (BTW a large group of my posts DID vanish, and several from other authors that were between them went away too making re-posting impossible, which prompted this decision, so don't say it won't happen). I still read and give approvals for my stories, but I will not spend my time writing new stuff while the site is in this state.
 
We are one server mistake away from everything being lost.

No, we're not one server mistake away, we're actually much closer than that. As I said in another post, Manu (either directly or via proxy) recently updated Literotica in such a way CHYOO is utterly and completely disconnected from it. The only remnants of the connection are this section of the forums and the link in the stories section. There was a person capable of updating Literotica, but not CHYOO? Such an outcome seems unlikely to me. I understand that the person responsible for originally coding CHYOO is gone, but this is only a hurdle to clear, not train tracks ending at a brick wall. If the right person is put on the job (skilled and dedicated), CHYOO could be cracked and get that long awaited update. It's undeniable at this point: Manu has no intention of continuing CHYOO's operations.

Consider this time in which we still have the site as an opportunity to get our stories/threads into a word processor and save them for a new site. I can't imagine CHYOO is going to last much longer if Manu isn't taking even the slightest effort to save it and has even chosen to discard it from Literotica like a gangrenous limb.
 
Is it possible to do a mass export of threads that I've written using some program or another, or is that not allowed? I have a good number of threads that would take a while to manually cut and paste.
 
Is it possible to do a mass export of threads that I've written using some program or another, or is that not allowed? I have a good number of threads that would take a while to manually cut and paste.

It's probably easiest to grab a story by capturing all the pages linked from the Story Map. There are a number of programs that would allow you to do this, but I don't have my recipe right at hand.
 
A site where he blocked writers function is only accesable to the story editor and moderators would be nice.
 
It's probably easiest to grab a story by capturing all the pages linked from the Story Map. There are a number of programs that would allow you to do this, but I don't have my recipe right at hand.

Firefox has addons like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/multi-links/ that can be used to open every link on a page so that you can review them.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/mozilla-archive-format/ can save all open tabs in a .maff format, and you can set up the options so that can save the displayed version of all pages. So, for example, if you were browsing a CHYOO2 page from a previous one, you'll see index.php at the top instead of the actual page ID. .maff format will still save what you see, instead of CHYOO2's front page.

The thing about saving with .maff is that you have to actually view each page. I suggest that you make your .maff files this way:

Start Firefox with no open tabs
Go to the CHYOO2 story you want to save
Log in to view the story map
Use Multi-Links to open all of the links on the page
Use ctrl+tab to switch between each page until you reach the story map page again
Right click to save all tabs
Choose .maff format
Save
Open the .maff to check the file output of webpages to make sure you got what you wanted

If you don't like some entries in the story, you can close those tabs before saving the .maff


I don't have a simple way for organizing those files into a text file or a linked database like they are on the web. Maybe someone could create a script with autohotkey ( www.autohotkey.com ) to do one of those.


I know that Torg has a space at editthis.info ( http://editthis.info/torg_adventure/ )where he is putting up what he wrote on CHYOO2. If we got together, we could reconstruct our favorite stories there, because it can link between user-created pages similar to the way that CHYOO2 does.



Registration is currently closed, but http://atwiki.com/ has no policy against adult content. http://www.wiki-site.com/index.php/Wiki_Creation_-_Create_A_Wiki_For_Free! doesn't even seem to have a ToS.







Different solution:


I didn't realize that a .maff would have problems saving once the number of links greatly increased. A different option for saving your favorite stories is to use the Firefox add-on DownThemAll ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/ )

To use it, edit your DownThemAll options as you like via the add-on manager, go to the story map you want (log in, etc.), choose "current tab", select the folder you want (or make a new one), and then set up your renaming mask.

I used
Code:
*url*\*subdirs*\*hh*_*m*-*d*-*y*-*name*-*text*.*ext*

That renaming mask downloads the links by category and places them in sub-folders, and adds the current hour, date, and thread name to the file title of each page. That doesn't solve the problem of organizing the files in order or linking them together, but you at least have more to go on than just numbers.

Example:
Code:
Downloads\www.chyoo.com\index.php\main.story.page\125360\13_12-06-2012-131226-You Don’t Need To Say or Do Anything.htm


One thing you have to remember is to change the folder every time that you save a new story. Otherwise all of the links will overlap in the directories.

I also remove the last set of numbers on the story map URL, so that I'm downloading from the top directory instead of a sub-page.
 
Last edited:
Because it seems like Chyoo might be going away soon and I'm not sure of who might be interested in records, I've been archiving stories over the past few days.

By the end of today, I expect to have the list of over 1000 that I drew up completed. I think that the list includes something for everyone, but focuses mostly on high-content stories, top contributors, quality authors, and people with good track records of creating successful stories. (In other words, a lot by Torg, deathofcards, TwiztidClown, Imhotep, CarterRyan, switch76, JonGrey, etc.) Also included are some newer, shorter stories, and some stories found through keyword searches for popular kinks (e.g. pregnancy, incest, games).

I also went out of my way to grab stories with threads written by women. There might be some duplication in the archives (e.g. a page backed up twice with different dates/times) because of how I cultivated the list, but they should be easy to sort out.

One thing that I noticed is that several stories were inaccessible. For example, this one by RicoLouis:
http://www.chyoo.com/index.php/main.story.summary/5590

I at first thought that it was because the story was marked "closed", but other stories I accessed were almost marked the same way. Now, I think it might be because the "written by" area is blank. If a moderator can fix those stories and let us know, I'll add them to an archive file. [Edit: The "by" field is blank on the summary page, but the story is still listed on RicoLouis's profile. There's no way to access the content. Other examples of the same thing exist, such as "Guy's adventure" http://www.chyoo.com/index.php/main.story.list/0/0/dudeman216/1 ]


Overall, I think that the archive is pretty comprehensive. I'll put up a file list when it's done so that there is a backup location that can be accessed in the future.
 
Last edited:
Good work man, sounds like you've been a busy beaver.

Thanks. After I realized how difficult archiving a lot of stories could be, I figured I should take the task on myself. I made a few scripts and figured out some add-ons that, when put together, took the total time for making the archive down from 37 hours to 9 hours, as long as I work in periods of an hour each in order to get peak efficiency.

I've got around 250 left.


Edit: Finished archiving. Now I'm cleaning things up and looking to see if I can find a somewhat simple way of pulling the text from the htm files to put into Word or something in order to create a better (and smaller) archive.


Edit2: Solved moving all files into story folders, removing duplicates, and fixing naming issues. Still no solution for getting text out in a workable way. I might just leave the task of putting the stories together for whenever they'd be put online somewhere again.

Since we don't know if/when chyoo might be going down, I advise that anyone who wants to keep an updated list of story content [after I put up the archive] do what I'm doing now - go to the chyoo homepage, click "advanced search" and then just hit the "search" button (for stories), or click "show results as threads" and hit search (to show the latest threads posted), then save a local copy of those files or copy the text into whatever you're using to save things.
 
Last edited:
Lost stories

I know another way that stories get lost is when they have a thread reported for underage or beastiality or whatever, if I delete the story instead of the thread there is now way to get it back. I fouled up a couple of them that way before I realized what i was doing.

I will look at the other stories you called out and see if I can fix them. I can't see the database at all so I have a pretty limited tool set to work with.
 
No Edit

It won't let me into the story when I try to edit them. Just get a cannot display error.
 
Take a look at zim or twine instead of word docs

Thanks. After I realized how difficult archiving a lot of stories could be, I figured I should take the task on myself. I made a few scripts and figured out some add-ons that, when put together, took the total time for making the archive down from 37 hours to 9 hours, as long as I work in periods of an hour each in order to get peak efficiency.

I've got around 250 left.


Edit: Finished archiving. Now I'm cleaning things up and looking to see if I can find a somewhat simple way of pulling the text from the htm files to put into Word or something in order to create a better (and smaller) archive.


Edit2: Solved moving all files into story folders, removing duplicates, and fixing naming issues. Still no solution for getting text out in a workable way. I might just leave the task of putting the stories together for whenever they'd be put online somewhere again.

Since we don't know if/when chyoo might be going down, I advise that anyone who wants to keep an updated list of story content [after I put up the archive] do what I'm doing now - go to the chyoo homepage, click "advanced search" and then just hit the "search" button (for stories), or click "show results as threads" and hit search (to show the latest threads posted), then save a local copy of those files or copy the text into whatever you're using to save things.

Sounds awesome. Rather than word docs you might look at twine or zim. They're perfect for choose your own adventure type stories, as they allow branching, with each branch having its own file. I believe they both also allow exporting to html. Maybe you can figure out a script to convert chyoo stuff to theirs
 
Sounds awesome. Rather than word docs you might look at twine or zim. They're perfect for choose your own adventure type stories, as they allow branching, with each branch having its own file. I believe they both also allow exporting to html. Maybe you can figure out a script to convert chyoo stuff to theirs

Part of the reason that I wanted to use Word is to prevent the problem of there being multiple files/links that need to be downloaded to make backups in the future. Now, however, I'm thinking of creating a scripted webpage that would use code to create a lightbox-like window that would move the viewer around a single webpage, which could include a built-in cloud tag and other nice features. Instead of being organized by separate files being linked together, it would be organized by navigating story paths chosen in the window.

I drew up the attached image quickly to kind of show what I mean. Seeing what story tags would be included in the next "path step" would help people to avoid things they don't like. I also would probably include an ability to hover over an option/choice to see what tags the whole path includes to date. So, if you wanted to avoid a story path that ever involved something you didn't like, you could do so. Each path link would be a direct link to a div containing text, so paths could overlap/use the same entries.


If we can get something like that to work well enough and be relatively easy to modify, we could easily use a free hosting site to create a new place to write. ftp access could be given to trusted writers, while newbies could use a free wiki site to display their writing ability and be considered for getting approval to access ftp. Or, should I be able to make a simple script that can copy from a wiki to this format easily, I could turn it into a small program that a handful of "moderators" who have ftp access could run to upload approved stories/threads from the wiki.

If people want more control over their own stories, I could give the code and scripts out once they're complete and tested, and people could set up free hosting sites for their own stories, then ask to be added to a story link database page that some central group of trusted/respected people operate.

In fact, everything might be able to be hosted on something like a blogger site - with the lightbox code and text for each story running on a blog post page. Then, the blog entries (stories) could be easily be tagged and sorted.

It's a simple-ish, free solution to many of the complaints people have.
 

Attachments

  • singlepagelightboxstoryformat.jpg
    singlepagelightboxstoryformat.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I'm open to anything that preserves the current stories, and allows people to create and navigate new ones. Chyoo does have a lot going for compared to some other stuff I've seen, but then again I haven't seen too many alternatives. I'd hate to see something happen that wouldn't save the story Knocked up Notions, or that wouldn't let me continue it, and there are a lot of other stories out there that I'd love to get saved and continued.
 
Back
Top