The 2016 Literotica Awards Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurel

Kitty Mama
Joined
Aug 27, 1999
Posts
20,676
Please use this thread to discuss the nominees.

Please do not post in the voting threads themselves.

All flaming, trolling, and negativity directed at the nominees or the contest itself will be removed.

Thank you, good luck to all nominees, and Happy Reading to everyone!

*
 
Obviously my opinion on who should win in the First Time category isn't worth a whole lot (though I can't say I'll be too disappointed if I lose; that's some fine, fine company to be in), but I just want to say that Trifecta kicks ridiculous ass and I'm gonna be cheering my ass off for it.
 
I accidentally posted this to the actual thread so edited it out and will post it here.

For influential writer.

For anyone thinking of doing it please don't vote for me. If I had any idea I would somehow end up as one of the finalists I would have asked to be removed in favor of the next person.

In fact...if its not too late the site can feel free to do so.
 
Whay are chapters selected for nomination over complete stories?

Please use this thread to discuss the nominees.

Please do not post in the voting threads themselves.

All flaming, trolling, and negativity directed at the nominees or the contest itself will be removed.

Thank you, good luck to all nominees, and Happy Reading to everyone!

*

I am not being negative. I do, however, fail to understand why chapters of stories are selected rather than completed works.
 
I am not being negative. I do, however, fail to understand why chapters of stories are selected rather than completed works.

My understanding is that people have complained about that forever, and it's not hard to understand why. The other side of it is that these chapters, ideally, are more like episodes; complete stories that chain together to tell a bigger story, rather than puzzle pieces that only form the whole picture when they're all put together. One can arguably call bullshit on this, but for what it's worth, I can say that Graduation Ch. 1 is part of the former camp; it's a complete story despite its open ending. (In fact, I didn't even plan to write multiple chapters until after I submitted it.)
 
My understanding is that people have complained about that forever, and it's not hard to understand why. The other side of it is that these chapters, ideally, are more like episodes; complete stories that chain together to tell a bigger story, rather than puzzle pieces that only form the whole picture when they're all put together. One can arguably call bullshit on this, but for what it's worth, I can say that Graduation Ch. 1 is part of the former camp; it's a complete story despite its open ending. (In fact, I didn't even plan to write multiple chapters until after I submitted it.)

I'd agree more or less. I have two stories that made it thru to the voting in two different categories, they're both chapters in longer tales but in and of themselves they're a complete story. That said, I call them chapters in the title but they're 10 or so LIT pages each (35k words) which is a wee bit more than a conventional novel chapter. So no, it's not exactly purist but it is what it is and I think it works well enough. Readers that disagree can always use that as one of their decision points for deciding on which story to vote for.
 
[Arguing amongst participants, insulting nominees, off-topic negativity, and questioning the legitimacy of the contest/contestants will no longer be tolerated in the contest threads. - admin]
 
I wish the threads that showed all the nominees hadn't got deleted. I want to see the top month's vote getter for each category.
 
I wish the threads that showed all the nominees hadn't got deleted. I want to see the top month's vote getter for each category.

Hi there!

The category nomination threads are still in this forum. For convenience, we link to them directly on the contest archives here:
http://literotica.com/contests/archive.html
in each month's entry, on the line that says "[MONTHNAME]'s Category Nominees are Here."
 
I was very impressed by "Dindi," especially since the author's first language is Brazilian Portuguese and I can spot a few of the typical idiom problems. It's a lot of extra work since I've done a fair amount of work with ESL students and I've seen the extra time they put in trying to master English and with that in mind, I have to give the edge to Nanaya.

Kind of a shame, since I read all those stories and each have their definite strengths and IR is not (at least not for a while) a category I've found tons of compelling, well-written stuff in.
 
Last edited:
For the sexiest female character, I voted for Page in "Page, Ch. 06"--with part of my review/comment on the story:

"I so enjoy how Page erupts when she thinks the operation compromised Ryan's safety and they listen to her. At this point I don't know if he's entirely a wounded bird, BUT I love how Page stakes her claim over him and loves him; she's tough, smart, quick, kick-ass yet tender-hearted and loving. Wow! A hands-down 5!"

Page is a flawed character that can go the distance, as she's a tad too overprotective of Ryan and demands her way; both could get her into trouble at some point; she's also foul-mouthed at times when it could make a situation go south: all these flaws compound the possible suspense, as well as give the character plenty of fuel to burn to mature. There's quite a bit there to use against her in the hands of a skilled manipulator.

A close 2nd would have been Miranda in "Miranda, Wanton Parole Officer," since she's a deeply-troubled young lady that's skilled in her profession but her compulsion overpowers her although she's vaguely aware of it and understands at least one of the roots; she lacks the tools to root it out and stop it though since this is only in ch. 1 and just starting. It's very promising despite the fact I'm not into the non-consent/reluctance category but on the face of how characters' flaws/development can drive the plot, there's a possible gold mine there if other installments are written well.

Alyssa in TSM is compelling at times, witty in banter and a quick study, but she gets 90% of her "assets" from a "gift." Up to ch. 70, while her character development progressed some, the author develops her psychic abilities and mental prowess more than her person. She's not challenged by other females, since "the gift" makes them naturally accepting of each other and bi-sexual. They've also never been challenged by normal males as a control to the one they owe their "assets" to, John; a normal foil would be to introduce a very sympathetic, normal guy that of course can't benefit from "the gift" and the female crew (including Alyssa) sees him help in some ways but struggle and fail mightily compared to each one of them, who basically pick up everything within their specific field faster than Einstein. So if their maternal instincts are hyper-aware, then use that against them and see if this "love" is real or a convenience of being saved/given incredible gifts for little effort and certainly no sacrifice. The process is every scrawny/scared/damaged female changes into a uber-smart, talented in her skill set and voluptuous vixen, but without expected challenges within the group or conflict outside the group directly against each of those "gifted" females to keep that story credible and believable. Therefore, Alyssa's lowest on the totem pole because she's given her sexiness without earning it nor truly developing it through a maturing process born of overcoming gripping personal flaws nor of confronting an evil equal of her own. Closest to that was Edraele, but that got easily removed quickly...and she got her position because she was first on the scene, not because she outshone others that came along or distinguished herself above them.
 
Snow Maiden (Sci-fi/Fantasy)

Wow! I almost cannot believe how well-crafted a story that was that so thoroughly enchants and charms the mind and the senses. I can't remember a time I've read something that dazzling, making you wait for you suspect will happen and it proves so incredibly satisfying when it occurs. It will make me look into the folklore of it too, which while possessing a fantasy element to it, is something a truly well-written piece of literature will inspire a person to do. Completely wonderful! :)
 
Reviews/Essays

The "Lit Wives..." entry surprised me, as the author expresses her beliefs, points and stances well, providing good personal or other examples that illustrate her reflections well. I'd encourage more to read that because it indeed deals what for some is a slightly thorny and complex matter regarding that kind of relationship (although those who avidly read self-help or interpersonal relationship books will find some things repeated there).
 
sexiest male char

[Arguing amongst participants, insulting nominees, off-topic negativity, and questioning the legitimacy of the contest/contestants will no longer be tolerated in the contest threads. - Last Warning]
 
Silkstockingslover's stories Summer of Black Cock and 1950's: munching the cheerleaders and A Shemale Shock: A MILF Falls are all among her finest works and very erotic.
 
Author & Story

I recommend Steve Wallas and the story of the Billionaire and Sisters. It was well written as his previous stories were.
 
It seems like a waste to treat individual chapters the same as complete stories

That's one of the things that's been discussed forever and Laurel's made it very plain in the past that it is what it is. No point in worrying about it, Laurel makes the rules on these things.
 
Sexiest female char

[Arguing amongst participants, insulting nominees, off-topic negativity, and questioning the legitimacy of the contest/contestants will no longer be tolerated in the contest threads. - Last Warning Already Given]
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top