Lit Apple Mac, iPhone, iPad User Group

sultrysandy

Moof - Geekette
Joined
Jul 15, 2016
Posts
207,261
Welcome_to_Macintosh.png




Starting this thread as been helping members using their Apple devices to access Lit since shortly after I joined, but as a lot of people say "I"m busier now, more than ever". What a crock of crap, couldn't even type that with a straight face. This is just easier to share than multiple PM's.

I am not a Apple Genius, or a Fangirl.

This thread is not post asking Sandy how to do something, or with a problem. Rather a forum to post if you have a: question, problem, possibly an answer, something to share, a suggestion or comment.



As people can be passionate about their devices:

Please don’t post just to complain i.e. Apple products are expensive. Or Apple is a niche, Windows and Android have more market share.

Please don’t post anti-Apple this, that, and the other, or pro Windows or Android.

Please don't post sexual based photos or text, there's the rest of Lit for that.



Thanks to Fun Size for her proofing and feedback.

Happy_Mac.png
Sandy
 
.
Instead of scanning through posts for something specific, I'll revise and update this index.



iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

iOS

Apps


iPhone


iPad



Macs

macOS

Apps


Desktops


Notebooks


.
 
.
Seems as good as place as any to start this thread is the beginning of Apple.



Day-1.jpg








The house at 2066 Crist Drive, Los Altos, is where Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak built the first Apple computer.

4eeb9094eab8ea0d79000011-750-392.jpg




1976 - Apple I

RBVjj9w.gif


79iufcJ.jpg


Not even a computer case, only the Printed Circuit Board. Buyer connected a keyboard and television set.






Apple unveils the 128K Macintosh in 1984—first via an unforgettable Super Bowl ad evoking George Orwell, and insinuating IBM as Big Brother, and then two days later with a formal introduction on stage in Cupertino, CA. In a single five-minute segment, Steve Jobs lays out the template for all future Apple events:



f0yFUwX.gif


1984 Apple's Macintosh Commercial (HD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtvjbmoDx-I






h0VLDa7.png

probems creating GIF, so pic instead

The Lost 1984 Video: young Steve Jobs introduces the Macintosh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-XwPjn9YY


.
 
.

After realizing people have no idea what I"m talking about, this is how I came about starting this thread.






Monday June 4th, Apple is expected to announce macOS 10.14 and users have been warned that it won't maintain full compatibility for 32-bit apps for much longer. Here's a way to see the complete list of apps installed on your system that will require updates.



First, click the Apple logo in the top left corner of your screen and select About this Mac.

24978-33227-about_this_mac-l.jpg




Click System Report.

24978-33228-system_profiler-l.jpg




Scroll down on the left-hand panel to find the Software section, and select Applications.

24978-33229-applications-l.jpg




You'll find the affected apps in the far-right column, under the heading 64-Bit (Intel). Applications labeled with "No" are 32-bit only.

24978-33230-affected_apps-l.jpg




Apple hasn't outright stated when compatibility with 32-bit apps will be dropped entirely. However, they might suffer from performance issues on the next version of macOS, as they'll no longer run "without compromise."
.
 
.

After realizing people have no idea what I"m talking about, this is how I came about starting this thread.






Monday June 4th, Apple is expected to announce macOS 10.14 and users have been warned that it won't maintain full compatibility for 32-bit apps for much longer. Here's a way to see the complete list of apps installed on your system that will require updates.



First, click the Apple logo in the top left corner of your screen and select About this Mac.

24978-33227-about_this_mac-l.jpg




Click System Report.

24978-33228-system_profiler-l.jpg




Scroll down on the left-hand panel to find the Software section, and select Applications.

24978-33229-applications-l.jpg




You'll find the affected apps in the far-right column, under the heading 64-Bit (Intel). Applications labeled with "No" are 32-bit only.

24978-33230-affected_apps-l.jpg




Apple hasn't outright stated when compatibility with 32-bit apps will be dropped entirely. However, they might suffer from performance issues on the next version of macOS, as they'll no longer run "without compromise."
.

So does that mean we shouldn't update? or cancel auto updates?
 
So does that mean we shouldn't update? or cancel auto updates?

Neither. It means 32-bit apps may not run under 10.14.


Here's Microsoft Office for Mac 2011

YGthxEZ.png


Will need Office 2016 for Mac to run under 10.14


I'll post a summary from the WWDC keynote Monday June 4.



Disclosure:
I disable auto updates as I don't want anything calling home, or any company auto-installing software because that's what they want and when they want it. Especially without my permission or knowledge.

A classic example is any PC running Windows 8 or earlier was forced downloaded Windows 10 without users consent and was hidden on their PC.
 
.
Since you used the Apple menu in the earlier post, if you're interested here's some information.


What’s in the Apple menu?
The Apple menu, which contains frequently used items, is located in the upper-left corner of your screen. To open it, click the Apple icon.



About System Information on your Mac
Use the System Information app to see a summary of information about your Mac hardware, software, and network.
.
 
.
How to check available storage on your iPhone or iPad



Launch the Settings app

IMG_0001.png




Choose the General tab

IMG_0002.png




Finally, choose the About tab and
scroll until you see the Available option.


screen.png

.
 
Just a couple

Very interesting - I found only half a dozen or so apps that are 32-bit on my macbook. Most are related to a Web-X app I had to use once for a conference and not since. A couple are from Apple and I am not sure what they do.
 
Since none of the OS later than El Cap 10.11 will install on my Mac, then I don't see a problem, unless the apps attempt to update themselves in which case, Time Machine.
 
Screenshot your Mac



Your entire screen

Press Command + Shift + 3 all at the same time.

You'll hear a camera click sound, and your screenshot will appear on your desktop in .PNG format, with the title Screen Shot [Date + Time].



Part of your screen

Press Command + Shift + 4 all at the same time.

Place the new crosshair cursor at one corner of the area you want to capture (for example, top left), and click and hold.

Drag the crosshairs to the opposite corner (for example, bottom right).

The crosshairs give you a precise pixel count if you want a specific size (or even to measure). Hold down Option to change the lock point to the center of the area. Hold down Shift to lock all sides but the one in the direction you're currently moving.

When you're happy with the area, *let go** of the mouse button or trackpad. Whatever is contained in the outline is what you'll screenshot.

You'll hear a camera click sound, and your screenshot will appear on your desktop in .PNG format, with the title Screen Shot [Date + Time].



Specific window

Press Command + Shift + 4 all at the same time. Your cursor will turn into crosshairs.

Press the Spacebar. Your cursor will turn into a camera.

Place the camera cursor on top of the window you want to screenshot. The window will tint blue so you can make sure it's the right one.

Click to take the screenshot.

You'll hear a camera click sound, and your screenshot will appear on your desktop in .PNG format, with the title Screen Shot [Date + Time].
.
 
A super cool feature is in Quicktime: you can record screen and audio straight into a video format, which is great for on-screen demos etc.
Open QT press the red record button and it'll ask you to select the portion of the screen you want to record. :):)
 
.
As a one-stop shop for creative tools, the Adobe Creative Cloud offers well-known applications for design, video editing, and image editing. Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, and other elements are widely used tools for content creation, but at a fairly high monthly cost that makes it an expensive option.

A more affordable but still powerful alternative to Photoshop is Pixelmator, the image-editing tool made to take advantage of macOS. It offers practically all of the effects and utilities that its Adobe counterpart has, and is also available for iOS, but at a considerably cheaper one-time cost of $29.99.


If you want to learn more before purchasing

Get Started - Basics - Pixelmator Tutorials
.


Will post links to tutorials if there's interest.
.
 
.
Show Image Dimensions in macOS



Click on the file. From the Apple menu bar select File > Get Info. An information window will open.


8qStwMR.png




If not displayed in the More Info Section, click the triangle, it will point down listing dimension width and height measured in pixels.

Hkt8PYA.png







GLBT - if the width is greater than 900 - 1,000, you'll want to resize the image, or risk having it removed, or your post erased.



Next post will be how to resize an image.
.
 
Sandy, I was just about to post an ipod question when I saw you're thread. I got rid of my records and turntable long ago. Mostly, for the past 12 years or so I'm been using itunes to store my music and an ipod to listen in my car and home. My car's blue tooth sucks so I use a hard wire from the headphone jack to the radio and the same to connect to an amplifier at home.

I have a 160 gig ipod classic and the headphone jack is malfunctioning requiring me to to hold it in order to hear both channels. I took it to the apple store and they told me $300 to repair. Also $300 for a new one. What a surprise! So I bought the new one and realized that it's like my iphone except that it doesn't make calls. My iphone has some of my itunes library but there must not be enough memory for all of the music.

I can get by listening to cds in my car but would like to connect my old ipod classic to an amp.

Sandy, are you aware of anyway I can access the music stored on the ipod classic through the amp with out repairing the headphone jack? Do I need the new ipod?

Thanking you in advance
 
I have one.

I visit 2 websites frequently: longreads.com and longform.org
However, when i go to the address bar in safari and type in "l", it only shows longreads.com as an option. Same for "lo", "lon" and "long". I have to get to "longf" for longform.org to pop up as an option. Any ideas on how to get them both to show up as options.
 
Sandy, are you aware of anyway I can access the music stored on the ipod classic through the amp with out repairing the headphone jack? Do I need the new ipod?

Options I can think of:
- does the amp have a usb input? you can use the (charging) iPod cable to connect the iPod to the amp.
- get an amp that does have a usb port.
- fix the bluetooth in your car.
- get an new iPod
- jury rig your iPod with tape etc to hold the headphone jack in place
 
Options I can think of:
- does the amp have a usb input? you can use the (charging) iPod cable to connect the iPod to the amp.
- get an amp that does have a usb port.
- fix the bluetooth in your car.
- get an new iPod
- jury rig your iPod with tape etc to hold the headphone jack in place

The amp does have a usb port. I'll give that a try. Someone suggested that all I need to do is upgrade my iphone so that it has enough memory to hold my itunes file.

Thanks
 
The amp does have a usb port. I'll give that a try. Someone suggested that all I need to do is upgrade my iphone so that it has enough memory to hold my itunes file.

Thanks

I had the same thing happen to me only my Ipod mini was stolen from my car.

At Bestbuy they looked at me funny when I asked where are the Ipods.
 
I had the same thing happen to me only my Ipod mini was stolen from my car.

At Bestbuy they looked at me funny when I asked where are the Ipods.

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one out of touch with the new technological realities
 
On the iPhone 6 how can I make folders to move my apps, if anyone knows it would be a great help as I have not been able to figure this out.

Also when I take a picture and then go to my photos how do I find out the size of the image? If I go to edit all it shows is ratios i.e. square, 3:2 , 5:3 , 4:3 and so on. But how do I find out the dimensions/pixels for example 800×800, 600×600?

Thank you in advance if anyone knows
 
I have one.

I visit 2 websites frequently: longreads.com and longform.org
However, when i go to the address bar in safari and type in "l", it only shows longreads.com as an option. Same for "lo", "lon" and "long". I have to get to "longf" for longform.org to pop up as an option. Any ideas on how to get them both to show up as options.

Apologize taking four days to reply, best idea I have is to bookmark both pages, then when starting to type in a URL they will both display.
 
On the iPhone 6 how can I make folders to move my apps, if anyone knows it would be a great help as I have not been able to figure this out.
1. unlock phone.
2. press and hold on an app. they will start 'jiggling' with an 'x' in the upper left.
3. drag app onto another app. voila! folder is created. (note: sometimes the apps get all squirrley and don't want to folderize. just keep at it.)
4. drag more apps into folder as desired.
5. press home button to get out of jiggling.
 
Back
Top