How do you read erotica?

I imagine that it's a function of your coming to read erotica. At the beginning it's all new to you with a sense of the somewhat forbidden. It slowly becomes ho hum and same-same because so much of it is, well, same-same. The arousal novelty of it thins out. But there are new writers and readers coming to it all the time, so everyone's reaction would be different.

For a variety of reasons, I'm not reading as much as I used to. Lately, I'll find an author and mine through his/her story page, picking out one at a time and reading start to finish. This happens, of course, after I've already read a piece by this particular author and decided I liked the style.

Most often, I scan the new story list or a category hub and pull up about 10-12 stories that look interesting. I usually discard anything over five pages, and definitely anything over ten. Once I have a critical mass of stories opened, I start reading them in order. Most are discarded within the first three-five paragraphs because I'm not impressed. If I make it to the bottom of the first page, then I'll read the entire thing.

If I make it to the end, I give it a score between 3 and 5, and then leave a comment. I try to comment on every story I read, but sometimes I'm reading from a device where that is impractical. On those occasions, if I remember, I'll comment the next time an opportunity arises.

I tend to do the opposite. I skim the sex to get to the story. What's the matter with me??

(Don't answer that question!)

The world always welcomes good stories.

My present agenda is to embroider the sex around an interesting story or stories.

In the latest tale an ambitious pimp rides the bus from the state prison to his city, to recruit women, he also recruits robust African male foreign students from the city university, to service his white female clients. The girls are generally drug free, healthy, and desperate for money. He has an ongoing struggle with other pimps, whom he shoots when necessary. Most of his female clients are unhappy wives. And more.

I might suggest you cut out the speed reading and take the stories one line at a time. I have a feeling you are missing the story and concentrating to much on the sex.

Just my hunch and opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Honestly, since I've started writing again, I don't read much of anything. Go figure. In the past, I'd say it depended upon my mood, and/or how much time I had available.

I'd lie down, but my desktop doesn't sit well on my chest. :rolleyes:

Oh, I do have a notebook that does though. :D

I start at the beginning and read, one word at a time, until I have no inclination to read any further.

If the writing is good enough - and the characters and the story are engaging enough - to keep me reading to the end, then I usually give it four or five stars. But ... it's not often that a story keeps me reading to the end. :(

I give a story one page (300 words) of attention before I abandon it. In JBJ WORLD a good tale captures you and drags you to the end, its not a forced march. I recently read BERLIN DIARY by William Shirer, I read it 30-40 pages at a sitting, effortlessly. Most books I read 2 pages at a time, if I like it at all.

Yesterday I read 2-3 LIT high scored stories, and was bored. The plots: Wifey discovers her lust for monsta meat at the local truck stop, work, etc., and she cant contain her obsession and appetite for it. Yawn.

I give a story one page (300 words) of attention before I abandon it. In JBJ WORLD a good tale captures you and drags you to the end, its not a forced march. I recently read BERLIN DIARY by William Shirer, I read it 30-40 pages at a sitting, effortlessly. Most books I read 2 pages at a time, if I like it at all.

Yesterday I read 2-3 LIT high scored stories, and was bored. The plots: Wifey discovers her lust for monsta meat at the local truck stop, work, etc., and she cant contain her obsession and appetite for it. Yawn.

Hey that was some of my best work! :mad:

I think that as a whole, the titles are becoming fairly bland... And, I think it shows lack of thought going into the stories. I can't recall a single story I have read with an 'average quality' title where the contents got any better than average either.

I think that as a whole, the titles are becoming fairly bland... And, I think it shows lack of thought going into the stories. I can't recall a single story I have read with an 'average quality' title where the contents got any better than average either.

My wisdom-of-the-week is from Ursula K LeGuin: "First sentences are doors to worlds." Some LIT authors allow the story's first line to become the subtitle. If that first line is compelling, a vivid portal into another world, then it may overcome a weak main title. I may resubmit my rejected story THE PHARMACIST (RANDY'S REVENGE) with a new first line and subtitle: "Everybody hates a freak." That's no garantee that my sardonic erotic-horror tale is above average (PM me for a copy) but it may grab eyeballs.

The first sentence just needs to invite the reader to continue. Too many authors have been bamboozled into spending too much time on the first sentence and not enough on the rest of the text. I often start my stories in the middle of a discussion, working on the technique of starting in a bit of confusion and engaging the reader's mind immediately on digging their way to understanding. There are readers who have to have it all make sense from the get go, but I'm writing for the ones who like puzzles and having their minds actively engaged in discovery.

you're still a trolling cunt.

I have to be in that kind of mood, but if I'm alone: I'll take a nice, leisurely bath, pour myself a glass of wine and crawl into bed. Sometimes I've already flagged the stories/authors I want to read but often I just scroll through my favorite category (non-consent) until I find the right one.

I read each word, savoring the story and the characters and if indeed it is a good story (sexual, sensual, well thought out, reasonably well written) at some point the bottoms come off or my hand slips under my night shirt and I start to play until the enjoyable deed is done :eek:

I've found more good stories on Lit than bad, but you'd be surprised how often I stop reading after a few paragraphs because the story is just plain "stoopid" and difficult to get into.

How do you read erotica?

Usually one word at a time.

I'll have to admit that I scan. And I often flip over the sex scene(s) to take in the story (if there is one) first. And then go back and read the sex scene(s).

Back