The Last Thing You Thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fish nuggetts!!

Sorry...
Agnostic/force-baptised-lutheran-who-never-goes.
I eats whatevers.
Though the fish frys starting up are nice.

Meh. I took up the habit of Lent because it does my self control a bit of good to sacrifice something I really like for a space of time.

Ah, Lent...or as I like to call it, forty days of filet o' fish.

Do you actually stick to fish everyday?! We only did Fridays, I'm still kind of in the habit year round to make meatless or fish on Fridays. Lapsed Catholic, probably forever lapsed but still feel guilty enough to keep some old habits.

Why does an atheist give up biting her nails for Lent? So the next time she sees her priest cousin she won't feel like running away in shame...

Meh. I took up the habit of Lent because it does my self control a bit of good to sacrifice something I really like for a space of time.

I've never found any value in giving something up temporarily. Sure, you can go without for however long, but is it really a sacrifice if you're counting down the days til you can do it again? YMMV, of course.

Do you actually stick to fish everyday?! We only did Fridays, I'm still kind of in the habit year round to make meatless or fish on Fridays. Lapsed Catholic, probably forever lapsed but still feel guilty enough to keep some old habits.

Why does an atheist give up biting her nails for Lent? So the next time she sees her priest cousin she won't feel like running away in shame...

I don't participate in Lent. I'm not a very religious person in general. Funny joke though, Tess.

I've never found any value in giving something up temporarily. Sure, you can go without for however long, but is it really a sacrifice if you're counting down the days til you can do it again? YMMV, of course.

For me there is. There's a certain amount of re-enforcement regarding my self control. In my mind, a sacrifice is a sacrifice, no matter if it's for a life time or a period of time. Every year it's something different. It's always something I have found myself doing a lot of or wanting a lot of. Oddly enough, I can't bring myself to sacrifice writing time. I think I would go insane if I tried.

The first day is hardest, after that? I just go about my life. I don't find myself counting down the days and by the end of Lent, I usually find little draw for the thing I gave up. It also serves as a reminder of the self control, the fortitude, required for sacrifice and above that, it turns my mind to more important things when I do find myself with that quick desire for something I gave up.

Oh... Catholics.. I adore Catholics so very much. They're always a little crazy. My mom is a Catholic, and my dad is a Jehovah's Witness.

Growing up in that household was fun:D

laughs

Until last semester, I didn't even know that Ash Wednesday existed... We read about it my English class and I was very confused.

That would be the point, darlin.
But you got to stop running around and making a fuss like I'm killing you or something.

But what if it's all part of some plan, some kind of reverse psychology...my fussing is just a cry for more...

nods

I'll be honest this kind of baffles me, but I guess that just shows my upbringing.
The area I grew up in was like... 80 percent Jews, at least, and I'm Jewish. I went to Jewish private schools until high school. I've never seen anyone walking around with ashes on their face, that I can remember, and no one ever told me about it...

But what if it's all part of some plan, some kind of reverse psychology...my fussing is just a cry for more...

nods

Well, then continue your fussing.

Not like it'll stop me.
Course I could bring out the big guns and get Bubbles...?
wiggles her brows

Well, then continue your fussing.

Not like it'll stop me.
Course I could bring out the big guns and get Bubbles...?
wiggles her brows

opens mouth to fuss

thinks

grins

closes it

I don't think I feel the need to fuss that badly...

The area I grew up in was like... 80 percent Jews, at least, and I'm Jewish. I went to Jewish private schools until high school. I've never seen anyone walking around with ashes on their face, that I can remember, and no one ever told me about it...

Makes sense. Catholicism was pretty pervasive where I grew up. I went to Catholic grade school and high school. I feel fortunate about the high school though, they were pretty open minded and I got a better education there than I ever did in college. Might have been all those classes I skipped though. While I like to think of myself as a bit worldly I'm sure there would be things I might see where you grew up that I'd never seen or heard of.

I don't participate in Lent. I'm not a very religious person in general. Funny joke though, Tess.

Well, it is funny, but also true, even though my cousin has never made me feel bad about not being active. :rolleyes:

Miss_Vivi said:
Oh... Catholics.. I adore Catholics so very much. They're always a little crazy. My mom is a Catholic, and my dad is a Jehovah's Witness.

Growing up in that household was fun

Yeah, my mom still goes to Mass and all of that. It makes her happy so I don't bug her about it, since she doesn't believe any of it. I think it's the comfort of the ritual aspect. I've met plenty of crazy Catholics, though.

Also your post will be up later! So many distractions today.

Makes sense. Catholicism was pretty pervasive where I grew up. I went to Catholic grade school and high school. I feel fortunate about the high school though, they were pretty open minded and I got a better education there than I ever did in college. Might have been all those classes I skipped though. While I like to think of myself as a bit worldly I'm sure there would be things I might see where you grew up that I'd never seen or heard of.
I do not doubt that even slightly. The amount of people here at college that are Jewish is probably more representative of most of the world, and I say things and people stare at me and have no idea what I'm talking about. I have fun with it.

I do not doubt that even slightly. The amount of people here at college that are Jewish is probably more representative of most of the world, and I say things and people stare at me and have no idea what I'm talking about. I have fun with it.

Based on religion or not that is always fun.

Aaaaagh..
Whyyyy didn't he make a thread for iiiiiit...?!
I need places for my ideas and he has no where for it and that makes me grumpy and I think he wants me grumpy so I do mean things to him and dammit he's going to get just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back