Isolated Blurts - The HT Cafe Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
pleasteasme said:
Yes, and a heifer isn't full grown yet! No problem, it sounds like she will be ok as long as she rests. Keeping her from being active is going to be a problem though!

I am so procrastinating...I don't want to go to work today, I don't wanna!!!

Now, how do I get this trout imprint off of my cheek before I go see her? ;)

Just explain the trout imprint as having gone fishing and reeling the big one in while it was dancing on the line. :eek: Hell I don't know. My other thought was to put on a creamy facial mask and tell her you came right away--as soon as you heard and you couldn't be bothered to remove it.

Denae said:
a heifer is a female cow that hasn't given birth to a calf yet.

Thank you for explaining... was too lazy to look it up and then everyone kept talking about it and then I wanna know :rolleyes:

Denae said:
a heifer is a female cow that hasn't given birth to a calf yet.

Sorry M's girl, I didn't see your question! :eek: Thank you, she is actually one of my students.

Denae, I'm impressed!!!

pleasteasme said:
Sorry M's girl, I didn't see your question! :eek: Thank you, she is actually one of my students.

Denae, I'm impressed!!!

Oh yes, your student. Well, anyway... glad she's doing better.

Oh and next time ask Ed to ask you what your next day plans are before he imprints anything in your neck ;)

Denae said:
I'll trade places with you on the massage table. I just want some relief from this fist-sized knot on the left side of my back.

I'd love the release of the toxins that you're going to have. The temporary pain would be worth it.

I have a knot in my right shoulder, and my lower back has been giving me problems, mostly my right hip/butt area...

Ok, I will take your word for it that it will be a good thing, you know how skeptical I am though. :eek: Come with, I hear this lady is the best in my area, anyway.

pleasteasme said:

Denae, I'm impressed!!!

When I was 15 my family moved from southern California to Montana. We had a 200 acre "ranch" and raised cattle, grew hay and alfalfa, etc.

I have to say one of the most amazing things that I've ever seen with my own eyes is a cow giving birth.

(Also, one of the most disturbing is castrating-my father had to put a steer down before it bled to death. Still makes me ill to think about it.)

Denae said:
When I was 15 my family moved from southern California to Montana. We had a 200 acre "ranch" and raised cattle, grew hay and alfalfa, etc.

I have to say one of the most amazing things that I've ever seen with my own eyes is a cow giving birth.

(Also, one of the most disturbing is castrating-my father had to put a steer down before it bled to death. Still makes me ill to think about it.)

Ahhh yes...all of the fun stuff associated with farming & ranching. I've found it does absolutely nothing for my dating life when a guy finds out I can castrate animals with my teeth...

I miss living on a farm, even though my job is directly related to ag, it isn't the same as living it. Someday, I will have my own ranch ~ even if it is small!

Scalywag said:
This made me think of something from my teens.

A friend and I worked for a local old-timer farmer during the haying season (nothing like the smell of fresh cut and drying hay :) ). The farmer had an old-timer friend of his along too. So there we are, lifting the bales of hay onto the wagon and stacking them. What a back-breaking, itchy, sweatty-ass job (EJ might like it if only for that reason.) The old-timers wanted to stop for a smoke, so we did. One of them pulled out a pouch of tobbaco and rolling papers and rolled a cigarette. The other had non-filter camels.

Seeing this, my friend pulls out his bag of pot, and proceeds to roll a joint. While we were smoking it (my friend and I) one of the old-timers commented on how he liked the smell and asked what brand it was. "Columbian Gold" replied my friend "but it's not easy to get, and this is all I have, so if you don't mind, I'd rather keep it for myself". The old-timer was OK with that.

We smoked a joint after we ate lunch with the old-timers every day for almost 2 weeks.

man, those were the days. Glad I finally grew up. I don't think I could handle it today.

It's true, haying season has great smells associated with it. It's tough work. And it sucks when it rains right after you cut it, then you have to get it lifted to dry it out. God I hated lifting bales. I learned quickly that I could exploit the lack of my upper arm strength and wound up driving the truck pulling the wagon. After our second year there, my folks finally hired teenage boys from town & the job was done much quicker and better. I'm sure those boys smoked a few afterwards down at the creek.

I was not cut out for the farming life, but I miss going to my folks' ranch to relax. It was set in a gorgeous valley and the property bordered on the Clark Fork River and a little creek ran through our property too. My poor folks worked their asses off to survive and make a living for us there. What broke my heart is that Dad died about 6 months before the mortgage was paid off. He really deserved to be there to share in that moment that he never thought would happen.

pleasteasme said:
Ahhh yes...all of the fun stuff associated with farming & ranching. I've found it does absolutely nothing for my dating life when a guy finds out I can castrate animals with my teeth...

It's all in the marketing of said skill :devil:

Denae said:
It's true, haying season has great smells associated with it. It's tough work. And it sucks when it rains right after you cut it, then you have to get it lifted to dry it out. God I hated lifting bales. I learned quickly that I could exploit the lack of my upper arm strength and wound up driving the truck pulling the wagon. After our second year there, my folks finally hired teenage boys from town & the job was done much quicker and better. I'm sure those boys smoked a few afterwards down at the creek.

I was not cut out for the farming life, but I miss going to my folks' ranch to relax. It was set in a gorgeous valley and the property bordered on the Clark Fork River and a little creek ran through our property too. My poor folks worked their asses off to survive and make a living for us there. What broke my heart is that Dad died about 6 months before the mortgage was paid off. He really deserved to be there to share in that moment that he never thought would happen.

I'm sorry to hear about that Den :rose:

Farming/ranching is hard work but, what a way to grow up and raise your kids, you know? Teach them the value of hard work, commitment, and work ethic. A lot of good values can be learned on a farm. Ahhhhh...I miss it so!!!

Scaly, did you live on a dairy?! I will attest, milking at 2 am when it is frozen is NOT fun...at all. I only lasted a year working on a dairy in college. It was not fun but, it helped pay the bills.

Scalywag said:
byw, there was a large dairy farm just down the road from us, they had over 1,000 holsteins. could smell that place for miles with the right wind
This is one of the memories that I have of staying with my uncle in southern New Hampshire when I was a boy. He lived in between two small dairy farms and the aroma was unmistakable. Still, that aroma to me brings back memories of lazy afternoons in the sun with all the company I needed from the bees and butterflies in his flower garden.

Scalywag said:
you have to acquire a likeness to that smell.

there's a dairy farm about 1/2 mile down the road on which we live....probably a couple hundred cows. I love going by there. the smell of the silage too. my kids hate it.

I live about 1/4 of a mile from a chicken farm. *gag*

The smell of silage is often confused with manure...it isn't manure, it is the sweeeet smell of success!!!

:)

Scalywag said:
what does is smell like? is it an amonia smell?

another good farm smell: grain feed for horses

It is distinctly Chicken! It is the worst on hot, stagnant days. It permeates everything. *gag* Only happens on the hottest of hot days in the summer.

I am rather fond of fresh cut alfalfa!!! Mmmmmmmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back