What's for dinner?

I do the same when I order Chinese, order way too much and we eat it for like 3 days!
I told the kids, you know you ordered too much when they have to bring it to you in a cardboard box and not a bag.

Last night we had...nothing? No clue since I went to bed at like 4. Had been up for about 2 days so by then I was pretty tired. Not sure what the kids ate. Me and two of my kids volunteered at the food pantry yesterday morning, came home and cleaned a bit, then I watched part of The Stand(looking for more ideas/help for my post apocalyptic story I've been playing with the past year or so) then went to bed.

Today is homemade beef and noodles, and I might add dumplings if the kids want some. About to go make the noodles since they should dry for a bit before I cook them.

One day at a time. Lately I keep waking up in full panic attack! Not sure how much longer I can keep doing this. I'll volunteer at the food pantry again tomorrow and maybe talk to the director while I'm there. See if she can offer any help, or guidance, or something. She has a degree in psychology so maybe she will have some suggestions for me.
Also just got insurance again after not having it for about 4 years so I may call my old psych and see if I can get in to see her this week.

I had strength yesterday to scan online recipes using our oversupplies and to take action. (The new meds seem to have boosted me a little.) I crafted something allegedly Turkish and savory with varied veggies, spices, and mystery sausage. (I hate when labels fall off in the freezer.) We baked hearty Irish bread. None dare call it cultural appropriation.

Shepherd's Pie, homemade crust for the first time.
We'll see how this turns out.
Worse comes to worst, the dogs will eat well.

Shepherd's Pie, homemade crust for the first time.
We'll see how this turns out.
Worse comes to worst, the dogs will eat well.

Please, please please tell us how it turns out. I love love love shepherd's pie.

1. What ingredients did you use?
2. Did you put mashed potatoes on top of the filling or is it a crust shell?

Butter chicken in the slow cooker with steamed cauliflower and pumpkin cheesecake for dessert.

Butter chicken sounds great. I'm curious about the pumpkin cheese cake, as one who loves traditional new York style cheese cake.

The Last of the Chinese Takeout (with apologies to Mr. Cooper). I think I overdid that order. I no longer crave Chinese food. Some nice pasta tomorrow!

One of these days I'll take on board that quote about moderation..... but not this year.

Venison steaks from the deer I shot in 2016, fried onions, mashed potatoes and steamed kale from the garden.

Leftover butter chicken, microwave baked Idaho potatoes with butter and sour cream, and green beans with toasted almonds.

I think tomorrow will be brinner (breakfast for dinner.)

Me and two of my kids volunteered at the food pantry tonight and they have a soup kitchen while the food pantry is going on and they feed the volunteers.
Tonight was spaghetti and garlic bread.
It wasn't bad.

Last night was fried catfish with plantains and spicy seasoned rice, and a slice of lemon.

Last night was fried catfish with plantains and spicy seasoned rice, and a slice of lemon.

Yum.

Soy sauce chicken and jasmine rice tonight. Takes about 45 minutes.

recipe_content_1906_item_0.jpg

Soy Sauce Chicken
Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

1 cup soy sauce
3 cups water (more if needed to cover the chicken at least 3/4 of the way)
2 to 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, drummettes and wings separated
1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, smashed
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 pieces star anise
1 scallion, shredded or chopped

Instructions

In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the chicken, soy sauce, and water over medium flame. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Make sure heat is as low as can be without turning off; simmering soy sauce can easily become rapidly boiling soy sauce, which can easily become a big mess to clean up.

Add the ginger, garlic, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, and sugar. Allow the chicken to simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or up an hour if you want falling-of-the-bone tenderness. Ladle the chicken and sauce into a deep platter. Garnish with scallions and prepare to enjoy some savory, succulent chicken.

Tried making chicken francaise without breading the chicken. *sigh* Just not the same. Edible though. Served with cinnamon mashed sweet potatoes and baby sweet peas.

Dessert was a gluten free cranberry cake I experimented with. Poundcake type base using maple syrup to sweeten and almond/coconut/tapioca flour blend then fresh cranberries mixed in. That was pretty good, would like to try it with rhubarb.

Thanks for the recipe, you make me want to step up my cooking game.

Yum.

Soy sauce chicken and jasmine rice tonight. Takes about 45 minutes.

recipe_content_1906_item_0.jpg

Soy Sauce Chicken
Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

1 cup soy sauce
3 cups water (more if needed to cover the chicken at least 3/4 of the way)
2 to 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, drummettes and wings separated
1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, smashed
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 pieces star anise
1 scallion, shredded or chopped

Instructions

In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat the chicken, soy sauce, and water over medium flame. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Make sure heat is as low as can be without turning off; simmering soy sauce can easily become rapidly boiling soy sauce, which can easily become a big mess to clean up.

Add the ginger, garlic, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, and sugar. Allow the chicken to simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or up an hour if you want falling-of-the-bone tenderness. Ladle the chicken and sauce into a deep platter. Garnish with scallions and prepare to enjoy some savory, succulent chicken.

Frozen lasagna...meh...
Well it was frozen, but we cooked it! But still...meh...

Back