Reading Books For Pleasure

FurryFury

Addict of Sensation
I pick up my book . . .I see the book mark well into the last third of the pages and feel sad.

I don't want this book to end. I rarely want any book into which I immerse myself to end. That is why I tend to prefer series of books.

Does anyone else feel this way?

KC, it's the book you recommended, The Angry Angel. I didn't want to read it when I read the word Dracula as I didn't enjoy that book. I read one chapter as I often do to get a taste and see if it grabbed me. It did!

Thanks for the recommendation. I would say this has a BDSM feel to it as well as a neck biting lusciousness.

Fury :rose:

Last edited:
I too like a series of books, The Marketplace Series, Ann Rice's Series all but Beauty, Earth Children Series, Dune, Lord of the Rings and so on and so on and on.

Love books, all sorts of books.

:rose:

Blushing Bottom said:
I too like a series of books, The Marketplace Series, Ann Rice's Series all but Beauty, Earth Children Series, Dune, Lord of the Rings and so on and so on and on.

Love books, all sorts of books.

:rose:

Me too! I like it when they take me to a world I don't normally get to visit. When I was young I liked the escape. I think I still do. It's a stress breather, ya know?

FurryFury said:
I pick up my book . . .I see the book mark well into the last third of the pages and feel sad.

I don't want this book to end. I rarely want any book into which I immerse myself to end. That is why I tend to prefer series of books.

KC, it's the book you recommended, The Angry Angel. I didn't want to read it when I read the world Dracula as I didn't enjoy that book. I read one chapter as I often do to get a taste and see if it grabbed me. It did!

Thanks for the recommendation. I would say this has a BDSM feel to it as well as a neck biting lusciousness.

Fury...felt that way with your stories..could read them for days and not want to stop. To answer the question though...I am into series as well...or at least an author that takes the same characters to different settings....not always in order...but just characters I am familiar with.

Hisbabydoll26 said:
Fury...felt that way with your stories..could read them for days and not want to stop. To answer the question though...I am into series as well...or at least an author that takes the same characters to different settings....not always in order...but just characters I am familiar with.

Aww! Be still my heart! Thank you so much!

I need to get back to writing but I've been a little down lately. It's funny I do most of my story writing when the kids are in classes and I'm waiting for them. This week with them sick, I got nothing done!

Some writers have characters that feel like old friends when you read their books.

I last read a book set in New Orleans before Katrina. The title was Sinners and Saints by Eileen Dreyer. I wouldn't say it was a BDSM novel but it had deviant parts to it that I enjoyed. Those parts resonated with me a great deal.

It made me somewhat home sick for New Orleans even though I only lived there a short while as an infant. I do or did have family there. I have a lot of good memories too.

I will be looking for other books by this author. She made her characters flawed but likeable. She made them gray and complex. I LOVE that!

Last edited:
greenmands said:
Like Heinlein and the character 'Lazuras Long'

I wanted to make babies with Heinlein damn it!

I LOVED most of his books!

The Door Into Summer
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
and
I Will Fear No Evil

Are my favorites from him, the irascible bastard! I've written so may reports on him and his books! Group sex, incest, sex as both a man and a woman, women in charge of society, men and women both in charge, Lord knows I love that stuff!

Last edited:
FurryFury said:
I wanted to make babies with Heinlein damn it!

I LOVED most of his books!

The Door Into Summer
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
and
I Will Fear No Evil

Are my favorites from him, the irascible bastard! I've written so may reports on him and his books! Group sex, incest, sex as both a man and a woman, women in charge of society, men and women both in charge, Lord knows I love that stuff!

OMG Fury, Notice my motto. My wife and I absolutely love him also. In fact
we used the water sharing ceremony in Stranger in a Strange Land as the central theme in our marrige ceremony.

Couple of other good ones:

The Past Through Tomorrow
To Sail Beyond the Sunset
and of course: Time Enough for Love

:D:D :rose:

raven2 said:
OMG Fury, Notice my motto. My wife and I absolutely love him also. In fact
we used the water sharing ceremony in Stranger in a Strange Land as the central theme in our marrige ceremony.

Couple of other good ones:

The Past Through Tomorrow
To Sail Beyond the Sunset
and of course: Time Enough for Love

:D:D :rose:

Oh yes, I had noticed some time ago!

*grins*

I meant to say something but ah well, now is a good time!

FurryFury said:

I know what you mean. With me it's a bit worse - I can read a 300 page book in about three (uninterupted) hours. It's so depressing, cause while I can (and do) reread my books they're never as good as the first time you read them. It's also why I like series, I get attached to characters in my books, and I like to see what happens to them.

Heinlein?

:thumbsup:

I haven't read a "just for fun" book in .....golly.... well over a decade.

Tht is not to say I do not read. I am a voracious reader. And it is not to say that I don't have fun reading what I do read, because I most certainly do.

I used to have a habit of discovering an author (such as Heinlein) and then buying ALL of thier books, and reading them in order of publication... one after the other.

Yes... the sad moment of finishing the last book.

I also had a habit of studying which other authors and other people who had a significant impact on those authors, and reading up on THEM. (a much more difficult task pre-internet. ;) who else remembers card catalogs?)

Anyone really familiar with Heinlein in particular can imagine where *that* lead me... :D

I still follow this autodidactic course. I read books related in some way to my profession. I find interesting points I want to learn more about. And there in the back of the book are a wonderful list of sources! Now... the back of the book is where I find more wonderful treasures. When I get to the point where I begin to see where the same sources are being repeated, and I have become familiar with most of the relevant literature, I take that as a sign that I've tackled it fairly well.

I too love to read books to relax and immerse myself into another reality. I can to this day still remember that the first book I read all by myself was "The Brothers Lionheart" by Astrid Lindgren, and since then I've almost always been reading a book of some kind. I very seldom go anywhere without having a book with me, just in case I'll get some free time that I can spend reading.

I read many genres of book, such as sci fi (have just started reading star trek books within the last couple of years), crime novels, fantasy, biographies, and what else catches my eye.

ShyGuy68 said:
I too love to read books to relax and immerse myself into another reality. I can to this day still remember that the first book I read all by myself was "The Brothers Lionheart" by Astrid Lindgren, and since then I've almost always been reading a book of some kind. I very seldom go anywhere without having a book with me, just in case I'll get some free time that I can spend reading.

I read many genres of book, such as sci fi (have just started reading star trek books within the last couple of years), crime novels, fantasy, biographies, and what else catches my eye.

The first book I read was something by Dr. Seuss. I'm not sure about the first novel. When I was ten I read Bram Strokers Dracula, The Diary of Anne Frank, and Little Women. I'm not sure which I read first, though. But the first novel I read was probably one of them.

graceanne said:
I know what you mean. With me it's a bit worse - I can read a 300 page book in about three (uninterupted) hours. It's so depressing, cause while I can (and do) reread my books they're never as good as the first time you read them. It's also why I like series, I get attached to characters in my books, and I like to see what happens to them.

Me too! I used to read soooo much more before my online addiction! Books and books each week were consumed hungrily.

The only thing that makes reread books as good for me is when it's been years so my brain has forgotten most of it and I am reading it with someone new!

I LOVE series so much, good ones anyway!

Mr. Mann said:
Heinlein?

:thumbsup:

I haven't read a "just for fun" book in .....golly.... well over a decade.

Tht is not to say I do not read. I am a voracious reader. And it is not to say that I don't have fun reading what I do read, because I most certainly do.

I used to have a habit of discovering an author (such as Heinlein) and then buying ALL of thier books, and reading them in order of publication... one after the other.

Yes... the sad moment of finishing the last book.

I also had a habit of studying which other authors and other people who had a significant impact on those authors, and reading up on THEM. (a much more difficult task pre-internet. ;) who else remembers card catalogs?)

Anyone really familiar with Heinlein in particular can imagine where *that* lead me... :D

I still follow this autodidactic course. I read books related in some way to my profession. I find interesting points I want to learn more about. And there in the back of the book are a wonderful list of sources! Now... the back of the book is where I find more wonderful treasures. When I get to the point where I begin to see where the same sources are being repeated, and I have become familiar with most of the relevant literature, I take that as a sign that I've tackled it fairly well.

I did that too. Well I didn't buy them but I did drive all around getting their books from various library branches so I could read them in order. These days I'm much too busy for that. These days I simply read the first book I get ahold of, then decide if it's compelling enough to bother with all that. Happily I can now request books be held online! Woot! They are sent to my local branch too! That makes it MUCH easier.

I rarely buy books these days. I probably have thousands already that are moldering in my too crowded basement. I love them too well. It's best if I read them and turn them back in. In very rare cases I must have a book to have and to hold forever.

At all times I must have a stack of books waiting for me to open them and love them!

It sounds like you have taught yourself well with books. I read a great deal also for various aspects of home school, work and other issues that come up.

There is just never enough time to read though! Or to write for that matter!

ShyGuy68 said:

I too read many genres. I love to have a full menu of various types of books waiting for me.

My first book? I can't remember at all.

It might have been the little book of proverbs or the bible.

I remember at my first library there were these tiny little books about various mice that I adored.

I remember coming home with Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and my Dad throwing a fit because it was "sacrilegious." Our school library only had biographies. So I read many of them at first. The first lady Abigail Adams was a favorite of mine. There weren't many of females in there. I am reminded of a friends bumper sticker. "Well behaved women rarely make history." *L*

graceanne said:
The first book I read was something by Dr. Seuss. I'm not sure about the first novel. When I was ten I read Bram Strokers Dracula, The Diary of Anne Frank, and Little Women. I'm not sure which I read first, though. But the first novel I read was probably one of them.

I absolutely hated Bran Stokers Dracula. I didn't like any of the characters. The Diary of Anne Frank at least had characters I cared about but it was so sad. I am thinking about what books my kids "need" to read before they are out of high school and start college. Most of the books I was assigned seem completely stupid to me. I am starting my own list as I think of them.

Hisbabydoll26 said:
hmm....Book Club anyone? *practices duck and cover moves*

Actually that's not a bad idea, the confines of RL schedules not withstanding. One would have to define the purpose. I once went to a book group whose purpose seemed to be comparing diamonds, homes, kids, husbands and reading what they though were intellectual books. For some reason I didn't enjoy the book selections. In fact, they didn't either that was the major complaint at each meeting. Few read the selections. I did. *insert big yawn*

I MUST read for fun as well as for education and growth to be happy. Despite having once been a librarian, I am not snobby about books at all. I tend to shy away from the so called great works which often seem dry and most of the best sellers which likewise seem not to my taste.

Take my mind away to new places, let me drink in other cultures, throw in some suspense, humor, sex and violence, then I'm a happy girl!

I often pick books from the title, cover art and authors. I can see clearly what mine, should it ever been finished or published will look like.

I love books. Can't live without them.
My computer just beeped at me. :confused:
I read a lot. The 10% off card usually pays for itself the first time out each year.
I know how you feel, Fury.

I'm not going to suggest anything though because I feel too apathetic tonight,

Here is one of the worst things about being an addict of books for me. You stay up too late because the climax is coming and you just have to know what happens. As you read you get high on the lack of sleep and/or the wonderful story but suddenly it ends! The book is over! OMG!!!

You can't go to sleep now! You have to know you have something good you are reading. So you pick up the next book. You are only going to read a few pages or a chapter so you know what you have to look forward to but it's so intriguing . . .

*L*

This is my eternal torment by these books from hell!

*giggles*

FurryFury said:
Here is one of the worst things about being an addict of books for me. You stay up too late because the climax is coming and you just have to know what happens. As you read you get high on the lack of sleep and/or the wonderful story but suddenly it ends! The book is over! OMG!!!

You can't go to sleep now! You have to know you have something good you are reading. So you pick up the next book. You are only going to read a few pages or a chapter so you know what you have to look forward to but it's so intriguing . . .

*L*

This is my eternal torment by these books from hell!

*giggles*

Been there, Done that.:D

Maybe book club with specific theme and somewhat flexible time frame? A book a month? That shouldn't be too hard. Something intersting....maybe? I think everyone here is capable of forming opinions and I enjoy reading others views and perspecitves. Or...maybe not so much?????

Hisbabydoll26 said:
Maybe book club with specific theme and somewhat flexible time frame? A book a month? That shouldn't be too hard. Something intersting....maybe? I think everyone here is capable of forming opinions and I enjoy reading others views and perspecitves. Or...maybe not so much?????

Sounds like a very good idea. Do you want to start the thread or shall I?

Hisbabydoll26 said:

I could do that! Depending on the book selection and if it was at one of my libraries!

Hisbabydoll26 said:

So what should the theme be?

Do we have some nominations?

Back