AA and resisting a drink

Congratulations. Outside looking in, I am always impressed by the courage of those on your path.
 
I've been sober since May of last year, can't say it's been easy or fun. Some days are better than others, but I'm having more better days than not, so I suppose that's a good thing. I can only speak to what worked for me. I started going to AA meetings whenever I could, daily, sometimes twice a day, as I just needed the structure. I'm fortunate where I live in a large enough metro area where there are several meetings held at various places. I backed off the daily meetings about six months or so ago, but still attend a couple a week. I know if I stop I'll fuck up and have to start over again. That ain't fucking happening if I can help it.

Good luck on your journey. It sounds like you've made a positive start and are going in the right direction.
 
Not recovering. Not from alcohol addiction anyway. But, it so happens I went through training many blue moons ago to help recovering addicts of various stripes.


So, take it with a grain of salt, but this is what I've typically told people.


1) You have to understand you are not really recovering. You are just a sober alcoholic and one drink away from returning to alcoholic.


2) NO one who isn't also a sober alcoholic is going to really understand. Period. Oh, they'll care. And the particularly astute will get some of it. But, if they haven't walked a mile in your moccasins, they just aren't going to fully grok it. Get to a damn meeting! The people there will understand where no one else can.


3) Watch that you don't just trade one unhealthy addiction for another.


Any road, beyond that you've got what you need. You've got your support through meetings. You've got your twelve steps. Just remember that the bottle is an abusive as hell ex and consider yourself on a restraining order; no closer than 500 feet.


And since I said at the beginning, I'm not a recovering addict, at least not of the alcoholic stripe, I'm gonna wander off and wish you absolutely nothing but the sun out of your eye and the wind at your back for the best of all possible days.
 
I'm impressed with anyone who can give it up, even if its just for a few weeks at a time. I always tell myself that I'm going to go on a month-alcohol-fast, but then I don't. And then I get angry at myself for not losing weight, and not feeling good on some mornings. So good for you for doing it as long as you have. And I have to know -- how's the sex when you're always sober? ;)
 
I've been sober since May of last year, can't say it's been easy or fun. Some days are better than others, but I'm having more better days than not, so I suppose that's a good thing. I can only speak to what worked for me. I started going to AA meetings whenever I could, daily, sometimes twice a day, as I just needed the structure. I'm fortunate where I live in a large enough metro area where there are several meetings held at various places. I backed off the daily meetings about six months or so ago, but still attend a couple a week. I know if I stop I'll fuck up and have to start over again. That ain't fucking happening if I can help it.

Good luck on your journey. It sounds like you've made a positive start and are going in the right direction.

Must agree with what you said about meetings. I did not think I'd enjoy them, but I actually look forward to them on some days.

And thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. It is appreciated! :)
 
I think it's interesting that you're struggling with cravings for a depressant , and self-identify first and foremost as a consumer of a stimulant.
 
I think it's interesting that you're struggling with cravings for a depressant , and self-identify first and foremost as a consumer of a stimulant.

Unnecessary and selfish post. Why are you trying so hard to get noticed?



CaffeinatedHub45 - I haven’t been in your shoes, but my sister has. It’s a real struggle and from what I understand you have to make the choice every day. Don’t be afraid of asking people for help. My sis waited almost too long before she let me in.
 
Anyone else recovering? What's your best advice for a newbie? Hit my 100th day last week.

One Day at a Time.

Your Higher Power (Whatever they or that may be is good to have!)

You are not perfect although we strive for perfection, if you fuckup?

Get Up,dust off and resume the journey a little wiser and more cautious than before.

Well, welcome to the human race!

People and loneliness are the greatest dangers you face.

Watch out Thirteen stepping!:D

And last but not least... Alcohol Does Not like YOU!

I was in a Bar one night years ago..ordered up a beer at Bar and this guy walked up and asked for a "Coke".

I look at him with what I guess you could say was an inquiring glance and he said with a grin..."Alcohol doesn't like me. that is why I don't Drink. It cost me a Wife and Family and most of a million dollars to figure that out! So I drink Coke..."

Smart man.

With me it's People, Places and Things. Although a different program is needed the end results are the same.

We are NEVER Cured but we can live a great life in remission!:)

Been to Bill's house a few times, He is a friend of mine...
 
I’m sure that this has probably already been said, but find something to drink when you are not going to drink whatever it was that you used to drink. I liked the taste of good wine. I liked the taste of alcohol. Never liked Coke. So Coke (or anything else of that ilk) was never going to work for me. My saviour was lemon, lime, and bitters, with soda water. Works with food; works without.

Good luck.
 
We all have that voice inside. The "self", the one we can't live with, the one we hate or can't stand, the one we don't trust.

Don't listen to that voice

100 days eh, roll on my friend
 
Back
Top