OOC -- "Crazies" (An open role play)

Basic Plot

Think "I Am Legend" meets "The Walking Dead" meets "Revolution"...

Crazies -- think the bad guys from IAL -- have overrun our cities, killing and eating the flesh from their victims.

The Warden of a State Penitentiary brought the infection back to work with him from the city, and despite a lock down, the prison was overrun

Now, a single Corrections Officer -- William "Bill" Taylor -- is trapped inside the facility with four dozen others, including visitors, staff members, and inmates. They are on their own and short of food and other necessities...

...and surrounded by the Crazies running about the Yard and unsecured Cell Blocks.



The General Direction
of the
Role Play.

While I believe that spontaneity is the life blood of characters themselves, this role play has a very specific direction that I want it to follow:
  • The world goes crazy.
  • Our characters are trapped in a prison.
  • Our characters realize they aren't going anywhere soon.
  • Our characters set forth to build a new life within the prison walls.
  • Our characters succeed in building this new life ... only to face new challenges from the outside (to be explained later).

So long as this plot is maintained, there is a great amount of flexibility and spontaneity available to us.
 
Last edited:
Characters:

Please note the colors of the characters below:
  • Bold Black Names are characters currently being written.
  • Bold Green Names are characters who have been mentioned or are simply wanted.

Characters:
  • Prison Corrections Officers:
    • William "Bill" Taylor
    • Female CO (in the THB with the others).
    • Female CO (hiding somewhere in the prison).
  • Prison Staff Members (Non-CO personnel):
    • Female Staff Member (watching over Bill's 9 year old daughter, who I will write).
    • 1-4 others (male or female)
  • Inmates:
  • Visitors:
 
Last edited:
Character Form

This Character Form should be completed and PMd to the host, GrayOldFart, and should not be posted here until approved. (This is to ensure that we are all clear on the role play's concept and direction.

If you wish to play more than one character, complete and PM a separate form for each\. Please be brief in your answers, to make it easy for other writers to research your profile form.

Writer's Name:

Character's Name:
Place in Story (ie, Inmate, Guard, Staff, Visitor, etc.):
Character's Photo:
(Try not to use a famous celebrity, please.)
Gender:
Age:
Physical Description:
Personality (be brief):
Background:
Miscellaneous:
Direction/Story for your Character:
(Is there something specific you would like to do with your character?)
Anything you want to tell us about you, the writer:
 
Writer's Name: DeathsKnight

Character's Name: Dave Sherman aka Predator

Place in Story: Inmate

Character's Photo

Gender: Male

Age: 29

Physical Description: Dark brown hair, Brown eyes, slight goatee, muscled without being overly bulky

Personality: Can be friendly, can be a real bastard, Dave has a real personality problem when it comes to evil ones.

Background: Raised by an Army Ranger, Dave became knowledgeable about things long before he should have. His four years in the Army after school was what made him the most efficient urban warfare machine he could be. On his return home, his father had been killed by local gangsters in a drive-by. They of course paid for it, but it did not relieve the pain he felt for the loss of the only person who ever mattered to him and so he went on with his Vigilante career, until captured a year before. He is in solitary, as no other inmate is safe from his hands, feet, teeth or any near object.

Miscellaneous: Dave have been scheduled for Death by injection, due to his violent nature towards fellow inmates.

Anything you want to tell us about you, the writer: Working on a farm, will usually be away Tuesday to Friday. Can catch up with big posts and as I am in training by the great Jedi, I tend to make sure my posts doesn't both up much of anything else.
 
Last edited:
Writer's Name: GrayOldFart

Character's Name: William "Bill" Taylor

Place in Story: Corrections Officer (the only one known to still be alive).

Character's Photo

Gender: Male

Age: 32

Physical Description:
  • 5'6", 183 lbs, fit with a bit of a belly.
  • Light brown buzz cut and light brown eyes.
  • Not ugly, but not attractive either. (Women don't faint at the sight of him.)
Personality:
  • Quiet, reserved.
  • Was often verbally abused by aggressive Inmates; he did nothing to stop it.
  • Once "in charge" of much of the prison, his dreams of greatness emerge; he always wanted to be the leader of something.
Background:
  • Abusive father, alcoholic mother; lost his virginity to his step-sister and was forever infatuated with her. (Ironically, she is now an inmate, convicted of ... whatever.)
  • Navy (6 years); City Police (2 years); State Corrections (the past 3 years).
  • Divorced; daughter (see below); girlfriend.
Miscellaneous:
  • Sarah, his girlfriend, brought Bill's daughter (Becky, 9), to the prison when the mayhem began and left her in the Staff Area. (Becky is now being looked over by one of the female Staff members in the CO housing area.)
Anything you want to tell us about you, the writer:
  • I try to write every day for each of my characters.
  • I like to have at least one character involvement with each writer, but I don't want to be the only writer writing with every one else.
  • I don't like to write with people who don't care about their grammar and spelling. Reading your posts shouldn't be a chore.
  • This is litEROTICA, and I like a good sexy plot like the next guy, but I am not here just to write about sex. (Otherwise, I would have posted this in the sexual role play forum.)
  • I like to move the story along rapidly, as opposed to writing out every little detail, making minute long scenes take days or weeks to write.
  • I've seen other writers on Literotica write scenes in separate threads and post links to them in the role play. That seems like a good idea. I would like to try it if someone has done it and knows whether it works. Seems like it would allow two writers to take their time without holding up the IC thread.
 
Writer's Name: sodalitas

Character's Name: Miles Winter

Place in Story: Inmate (embezzlement)

Character's Photo: (coming)

Gender: Male

Age: 53

Physical Description: (waiting to find photograph)

Personality: Intellectual, deferential, pent up anger, precise, likeable, follower.

Background: Miles worked his ass off for the same financial company for twenty years, continuously passed over for promotions. When the economy hit his family hard, he turned to embezzlement via a complicated series of schemes. He was eventually caught and is serving his third year of his sentence.

Miscellaneous: He is married to a woman named Linda and has a twenty seven year old son named Jake who is married. He has no idea if they are alive or not.

Direction:
- I think Miles is best suited for the "how do we manage to live/survive with what resources we have" plot line more than the whole "go Crazy killing" plot line.
- I would like to have him maybe have to escape and get to the others, avoiding/running from the Crazies. Maybe Bill has the ability to hear/see him through the camera and can remotely unlock his cell, and he has to make his way to the group? Then they have to maybe quarrantine him for a while to ensure he's not infected.. maybe Bill needs him to get some equipment, etc from inside the prison on his way. Miles is scared shitless the entire time...
HOST'S NOTE: I forgot about the last portion of Miles's direction when I (Bill) engaged him in his current role. However, I think this is a great idea and I'm sure we can work it in! :D
 
Last edited:
Writer's Name: Silvastormcloud

Character's Name: Leliana “Leli” Williams

Place in Story: Visitor

Character's Photo

Gender: Female

Age: 21

Physical Description: Medium height with long dark hair, green eyes and a slim build.

Personality: Leli has a bitchy exterior and doesn’t trust others easily. She considers herself street smart and independent however in some ways she is quite naive. She loves fashion, the colour pink and is not enthusiastic about ownership laws.

Background: Leli is an only child, raised by her father after her mum left her at the age of three. They lived above her father’s motorcycle shop until he was sent to prison two years ago for re-birthing stolen bikes. Leli now sings in a punk band and partakes in petty crime on the side. Her experience has made her very good at getting what she wants whether through stealing, bargaining or even using her body.

Miscellaneous: On the day the mayhem happened Leli was just entering the prison. It was to be the first time she had seen her father (Joe) since he was sent to prison.

Anything you want to tell us about you, the writer: I love the walking dead and zombie movies in general. I work and have a family so around that I will keep up with at least one good post per day.
 
Last edited:
Writer's Name: GrayOldFart (Her original writer had to bail.)

Character's Name: Annabelle "Annie" Grimes

Place in Story: Visitor (photographer on assignment)

Character's Photograph

Gender: Female

Age: 23

Physical Description:
  • 5'2" (but came in wearing 4" heels)
  • 98 pounds, petite with just a hint of "gym induced" muscles.
  • Deep brown eyes, black as night hair.
Personality:
  • Confident.
  • A real go-getter; ambitious.
  • Not afraid to use her feminine charm to get what she wants, but on the flip side, doesn't sleep around unless she's getting something really big for her sacrifice.
Background:
  • Raised by her mother, Asami, who was alone and pregnant at 14, and her paternal grandmother.
  • Graduated Lake Oswego (Oregon) High School at 17 as valedictorian with a 4.0.
  • Graduated from the University of Oregon at 20 with a Bachelors in Journalism.
  • Currently getting a Masters (UO) in the History of Photography.
  • Currently a photojournalism intern for a major New York photographer, with whom she is sleeping to further her career.
Miscellaneous:
  • Annabelle was at the prison taking photographs for a piece her boss is doing on prison reform.
  • Her true interest is in what she calls the Art of Expressions; she believes that given the right photograph, you can tell a person's story just in their expression.
  • She is very good at what she does.
  • Even with the mayhem going on outside, she is playing the part of wanna-be-professional and -- while trying to be as inconspicuous and polite as possible -- has not stopped taking pictures since The Crazy began.
Direction:
  • She is not a primary character herself, with her own story line. She is here to help other characters further their own stories.
  • She will often engage in conversation with people, to comfort them and gain their trust. When she feels it is appropriate, she will ask to take their pictures. But she is very aware of the horror going on inside, and she tries her best not to upset or offend people.
Miscellaneous:
  • Annabelle's grandmother felt responsible for her son's failure to step up and take care of Asami and her future child. However, she was also a powerful matriarchal figure and, for the most part, controlled every aspect of her granddaughter's life, including the choice of her name, which was the grandmother's given name and her dead beat son's surname.
  • Fortunately for Annabelle, the grandmother had money. Annie never wanted for anything.
 
Last edited:
Writer's Name: Silvastormcloud

Character's Name: Leliana “Leli” Williams

Place in Story: Visitor
Character's Photo: I have a pic but it might be easier to add to the thread.
Gender: Female
Age: 21
Physical Description: Medium height with long dark hair, green eyes and a slim build.
Personality: Leli has a bitchy exterior and doesn’t trust others easily. She considers herself street smart and independent however in some ways she is quite naive. She loves fashion, the colour pink and is not enthusiastic about ownership laws.
Background: Leli is an only child, raised by her father after her mum left her at the age of three. They lived above her father’s motorcycle shop until he was sent to prison two years ago for re-birthing stolen bikes. Leli now sings in a punk band and partakes in petty crime on the side. Her experience has made her very good at getting what she wants whether through stealing, bargaining or even using her body.
Miscellaneous: On the day the mayhem happened Leli was just entering the prison. It was to be the first time she had seen her father (Joe) since he was sent to prison.
Anything you want to tell us about you, the writer: I love the walking dead and zombie movies in general. I work and have a family so around that I will keep up with at least one good post per day.

Hi all,

Here is the pic I will be using to base Leli.


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Jen.jpg
    Jen.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 50
Timeline


Character names are in BOLD, RED, ALL CAPS LINKS when introduced.


MARCH

Before the 10th
  • All across the country, an infection is causing normal citizens to become violent.
  • Everyday citizens are attacking other people ... and eating their flesh.
  • Anonymous sources within the CDC speak of an infection.
  • The Press coins the term "Crazies" in reference to the infected individuals.
10th
11th
  • Warden Davis infects a female inmate during rough sex.
  • The infection spreads quickly.
13th
  • The Warden and others show symptoms.
  • The infected are quarantined, but it's too late; the infection is in every cell block.
14th
  • The prison is locked down.
  • Visitors -- of which none are infected -- are housed in the Trustees Housing Building (THB), which was empty and being renovated.
  • These safeguards are to no avail; the infection spreads.
15th
  • Violence erupts within cell blocks.
  • COs enter the cell blocks to restore control.
  • The COs are overwhelmed, with some being killed and others taking shelter in cells.
16th
  • An attempt is made to rescue the COs.
  • A CO in the Control Center -- concerned that he'll never escape the prison -- opens a path to the outside and flees.
  • The Crazies gain access to most of the now partially unlocked prison.
  • Only three sections of the prison and the walkways and tunnels connecting them are known to be secure: The Visitor's Center and the THB, where the "survivors" are; and the Control Center, at the "hub" of Building 3 (Maximum Security).
17th
  • The mayhem slows dramatically as the Crazies have no more accessible victims.
  • Corrections Officer BILL TAYLOR is the last CO left in the secured area. (There are other COs in other portions, including available characters, one male and one female each.)
18th
  • Bill Taylor is told by Corrections Officials to sit tight and wait.
  • When all communications with the outside cease, Bill begins organizing the survivors -- inmates, staff, and visitors alike.
19th (the role play begins)
  • Bill accidentally releases DAVE "The Predator" SHERMAN into the common area of Building 3, the Maximum Security cell block. (Post #2, middle.) Dave will initially kill some crazies to take control of Cell Block 3D, then -- with ammunition and "tacit approval" from Bill -- will kill everyone left in the Building 3's four cell blocks, including Crazies and convicted criminals alike.
  • Bill recruits inmate, MILES WINTER -- accountant-turned-convicted-embezzler -- to calculate food stores and consumption (Post #2, bottom). Miles will determine that the group has roughly 100 days of food without severe rationing.
  • LELIANA "Leli" WILLIAMS, at the prison to visit her father, is introduced (Post #5). She reveals in an interview that she has experience with handguns.
  • REED "Scotty" SCOTTSDALE, here to visit his father, is introduced (Post #9). He is infatuated with Leli and, after so many days, finally introduces himself when he learns they have handgun experience in common.
  • HARRY WENDLE (no link yet), a CO, is in a perimeter tower, trapped. He kills his partner-turned-Crazy, then takes pot shots at other Crazies out of frustration (Post #10).
  • ANNABELLE "Annie" GRIMES is introduced. She was at the prison taking photos for a magazine story on prisons. She uses her beauty and charm to buddy up to Miles, who -- as an inmate and a man with access -- she expects will be easier to get things from than Bill.
  • Bill explains the prison situation to the others, telling them what they or the Crazies control. He begins recruiting people for taking the entire prison from the Crazies by force.


The Inmate Population and How it was Affected by "The Crazy"
 
Last edited:
An Apology

Sorry. I've never been to prison. Haaa! Bet you've never heard that as an apology before!

My point is this: my knowledge of prisons is based solely upon what I have seen in prison movies and documentaries. Therefore, my description of State Penitentiary is going to be very simplistic and very inaccurate ... but ... it's what we're going to work with because we need a consistent basis for all writers.
 
Last edited:
The Grounds

Aerial Photograph


Acreage:
  • Inside the fence: 40 acres
  • Outside the fence: 550 acres.
Fences:
  • Property Fence:
    • 7 foot.
    • A boundary fence, not a security fence.
    • Located outside the Tower Access Road.
  • Outer Perimeter:
    • 14 foot.
    • Razor wire at top, as well as on inside at 7 foot and base.
  • Inner Perimeter:
    • 10 foot.
    • Razor wire at top and at base.
  • Yard Fences:
    • 10 foot.
    • Razor wire at top and base (on both sides).
    • Electrified (to reduce exchange of contraband between yards).
Towers:
  • 6 in total.
  • The "perch" is 20 feet above the ground.
  • 3 levels:
    • First: Little more than an entry, with a two sets of high security doors.
    • Second: Small armory and living quarters for 2, with bathroom, kitchenette, bunk beds, etc., to allow extended stays in the case of a lock down.
    • Third: The Perch, with a 360 degree, mounted high power binoculars, and sniper rifle mounts.
 
Inmate Housing Buildings

Aerial Photograph

Each of the Inmate Housing Buildings is similar in design, with the major differences being in who is kept where and how. Building One will be described in detail, with the differences between it and the others listed.

Building 1: Minimum/Medium Security (Male):
  • Located in northwest corner of the Grounds.
  • "X" design structure, with 4 cell blocks radiating out from a central Security Station.
  • Security Station:
    • Protected from the cell blocks by a combination of cinder block walls, heavy steel, and bullet/shock resistant Plexiglas.
    • Steel gates allow COs to move between the SS and the individual cell blocks without ever being exposed to the inmate population of the other cell blocks.
    • The SS is accessed from 3 points: Double security accesses on opposite corners of the SS, and a trap door to a tunnel that connects the SSs, the Towers, and the Main Administration Building.
  • Cell blocks:
    • 75 feet long, 30 feet wide; the width is divided into three parts, the 8 foot deep cells, the 12 foot wide walkway, and the 8 foot deep cells on the other side.
    • 8 cells per cell block side; 16 cells per cell block ; 64 cells in this building.
    • 4 heavy metal "picnic" style tables are distributed down the middle of the walkway (in this building).
    • Cell blocks are identified 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, clockwise beginning with northwest radiating wing.
  • Individual Cells (as described for this building):
    • 8 foot by 8 foot.
    • 2 bunk beds (4 inmates per room).
    • Simple desks and lockable closet/shelves located in the corners for each inmate.
    • Barred, Plexiglas window looks out onto yard.
Building 2: Medium/Maximum Security (Male):
  • Southwest corner of the Grounds.
  • Same physical design.
  • Cell Blocks 2A and 2B are Medium Security; cell blocks 2C and 2D are Maximum security.
  • Picnic tables in the Medium Security cell blocks; windows blocked over in the Maximum Security cell blocks.
  • Individual Cells:
    • 8 foot deep by 6 foot wide.
    • 11 cells per side; 22 cells per cell block; 88 cells in this building.
    • 1 bunk bed (2 inmates per room)
    • Same desks and locker, though possession choice is greatly limited.

Building 3: Maximum Security (Male/Female):
  • Located in the center south of the Grounds.
  • Same physical design.
  • By policy:
    • Cell Blocks 3A and 3B are Male, 3C is Female.
    • Cell Block 3D:
      • Both genders; population at the time of the Crazy Outbreak was 14 males, 2 females.
      • Used for "extreme hard cases".
      • Inmates never have access to another inmate, and never go anywhere without full shackles and restraints.
  • Individual Cells (as described for this building):
    • 6 foot deep by 4 foot wide with a 2 foot deep, double security entry at the walkway end.
    • 16 cells per side; 32 cells per cell block; 128 cells in this building.
    • 1 inmate per cell.
    • Nothing but a cot, toilet, and change of clothes within the cell.
Building 4: Minimum/Medium Security (Female):
  • Located in southeast corner of the Grounds.
  • Essentially the same as Building 1, but for females.



The Inmate Population and how it was Affected by "The Crazy"
 
Last edited:
The Inmate Population
and
The Craziness

Pre-Crazy: At the time of the beginning of The Crazy, the Inmate Population in each Building was:
  • Building 1, Minimum/Medium Security (Male): 250.
  • Building 2, Medium/Maximum Security (Male): 160.
  • Building 3, Maximum Security (Male/Female): 120 males, 22 females (of these, 14 males and 2 females were in Cell Block 3D, the "hard core" Supermax style cell block).
  • Building 4, Minimum/Medium Security (Female): 220.

During "The Crazy"
  • Buildings 1, 2, and 4 -- which included Minimum and Medium security cell blocks -- were scenes of rapid infection transmission and subsequent violence.
  • There were a few survivors in the maximum security cell blocks of Building 2.
  • Building 3's population initially suffered very little infection and violence in Cell Blocks 3A, 3B, and 3C and would have survived the subsequent Crazy had there not been an attempt to enter and control the building by COs. Few survived in those blocks.
  • Cell Block 3D -- the Supermax style portion of the penitentiary -- suffered only a few losses. (See below, however.)

Now:
  • Buildings 1, 2, and 4 are open to the grounds.
  • Bill has observed that the crazies move about -- from inside to outside the cell blocks -- which results in the numbers below fluctuating. Typically, about half of the Crazies move outside during the daylight and half of those return -- seemingly to the same cell block -- when nightfall arrives. He has not seen a day or night that did not include Crazies in the cell blocks and yard both.
  • Building 1:
    • 30 to 40 Crazies total.
    • Survivors: None known at this time.
  • Building 2:
    • 20 to 30 Crazies total.
    • Survivors: 8, four each in the Maximum Security Cell Blocks 2C and 2D.
  • Building 3:
    • 10 Crazies survived but were killed by Dave "The Predator" Sherman (Post
      #20).
    • Survivors: None.
  • Building 4:
    • 30 to 40 Crazies total.
    • Survivors: None known at this time.
 
Last edited:
Writer's Name: GrayOldFart

Character's Name: Reed "Scotty" Scottsdale

Place in Story: Visitor (son of an inmate)

Character's Photo

Gender: Male

Age: 18

Physical Description:
  • 5'9", 170 lbs; thin.
  • Brunette hair, gray blue eyes, perfect smile (thanks to recently removed braces)
Personality:
  • Shy and quiet with girls; he's a virgin and, in fact, has never put his hands on a woman's personals.
  • Energetic and boisterous with boys
  • Very closed mouth about his father's crimes.
Background:
  • Raised in wealth in Seattle, WA.
  • His father killed his mother's lover.
  • The trial and subsequent business troubles left the family destitute.
  • Lives with his maternal grandmother just a few miles from this prison so he can see his father each week.
Miscellaneous: Coming.

Direction/Story for your Character:
  • He will want to prove himself as a man.
  • He has experience with a hand gun and scoped rifle. He will jump at the chance to use the latter against the Crazies when it comes time to clear the Yard.
  • He wants desperately to have a girl friend.
Anything you want to tell us about you, the writer: Later.
 
Hey Gray and Deathknight,

I thought i'd share a plot idea. Feel free to pick it apart or ignore.

1. To impress Leli Scotty makes up a plan to get out of the visitors centre.
2. Leli and Scotty leave the visitors centre to look for their in-mate fathers.
3. Leli and Scotty end up chased by crazies only to be saved by the predator
4. Leli sees the advantages to having the predator on her side and tries to win him over
5. Scotty get jealous of Leli's attention being focused on predator
6. Saving the two visitors could be predators way into the community?

Thats just a rough outline but if your interested we could take the story in that direction.
 
As long as the two act all innocent and have never done something very wrong I am sure we can arrange that, I like the idea. It can even happen in a connecting corridor which will give access to another storage area and add a bit more food to the other store. Two birds with one stone perhaps?
 
(This note is linked to a specific OOC page and, read out of context, will mean nothing to you. You don't need to read this if you were alerted to it by your "instant notification" via your email.)

Concerning the Timeline

For the benefit of both new and existing writers, the events in the "Timeline" page include post numbers indicating where that particular event first began to take place or where that character was first introduced.
  • For new writers, this is a way to familiarize yourself with specific characters or events. I still hope you will read each and every IC post, but you are not required to do so.
  • For existing writers, this is a way to refresh your memory on a specific character or event.
I do not include links to these posts, however, because most events stretch out over many posts. Clicking on a link will only take you to that one specific post; you will need to go to the IC thread to read the subsequent posts, so I am not going to bother with inserting a bunch of links that will do you no good.

Thank You,
Your Host
 
Back
Top