Outlaws to the End (HotCider & heartofcourage)

When Elizabeth slid from his arms, Ian moaned loudly in protest before he rolled over onto his back. His arm swung around to flop lifelessly against the bed as he laid in a sprawled position, the blankets having gathered at his waist. After doing her thing at the door, Elizabeth plopped down on his lap, and began assaulting him with kisses.

“Give me five minutes,” he muttered, his eyes still refusing to open.

He actually dozed while she was kissing him, plunging back into dreamland as his breathing became deep with his resting breaths.
 
Elizabeth laughed softly, another kiss pressed to his face before she crawled off him and let him sleep. She made note that Ian wasn’t a morning person. That was just fine with her, she thought, as she pulled the cover off the meals that had been delivered.

The sight of bacon and eggs made her mouth water and fresh buttered toast with jam had her in complete and utter heaven. She ate to her heart’s content, her belly soon full and warm as she covered the plates back up for his half to stay warm.

Still asleep, she left him there as she turned her attentions towards the little wash basin in the room. It was cold water, but it would do for a quick scrubbing. As silently as she could, she pulled her dress off, folding it neatly as she stood nude by the basin. A towel dipped into the water was soon passing over her skin as she tried to make herself look presentable.

She actually winced as she passed the towel between her thighs, a smearing of blood coming away on the pristine whiteness. Staring down at it, she blushed deeply and turned her head to look at Ian. It was the proof that she’d been a virgin the night before and it was more than likely the cause of her soreness that morning. Even so, it wasn’t something that she particularly wanted to share with him, so she quickly hid the towel away and set about drying her now damp skin with a fresh one.
 
They were perhaps an hour from the St. Louis station when the horn sounded, stirring Ian from his sleep. His eyes cracked open, hazel nut-brown orbs glaring at the ceiling as the soft rocking of the bed reminded him that he was still on a train. Slowly, Ian sat upwards, looking so cranky and disheveled that Elizabeth was correct in guessing that he wasn’t a morning person. The pillow had cow-licked the hair on the back of his head upwards and his mouth was feeling nasty. Instead of desiring a toothbrush, his pipe appeared in his mind. Where was his beloved pipe? His eyes swept the place briefly before he remembered that he had thrown it out along with the matches and tobacco.

The thief sat there for a good two minutes staring at the wall in front of him, thinking about tobacco and how he was going to live without it. Just thinking about it was making his cravings intense. Besides the aches in his body, he was feeling miserable. He even looked miserable but that was because when Ian Darcy got beauty sleep the opposite happened.

Throwing back the blankets, Ian swung his legs over and settled his feet upon the floor before he rose to his feet. His trousers sagged haphazardly from his hips, partially showing the crack of his ass. He picked up the breakfast tray, carrying it back to the bed where he sat down, lowering it to his lap and poured himself some cold tea. Breakfast was always cold by the time Ian managed to crawl over and get it, but it never bothered him. It was food and it went to one place. After being on the run in his previously life, he had consumed food in worse quality than just being served cold.

With his face still scrunched and bleary from his awakening, Ian removed the tray, picked up a piece of bacon, and munched on it at the speed of an old man.
 
Elizabeth had redressed by the time that Ian awoke. Standing in front of the tiny mirror, she carefully braided her hair and let the thick coil trail over one shoulder as she listened to the sounds of Ian stirring and shuffling around. He didn’t say anything to her but she supposed that it was for the best.

Turning from the mirror, she watched as he slowly munched on his bacon. Looking like death warmed over, she couldn’t help but smile and stifle her laughter. He was disheveled, gruff, and still a million times more handsome then any other man she’d ever known in her life.

“Good morning to you too, Sunshine.” She said as she sat beside him on the bed, taking time to smooth down the cowlick that had formed at the back of his hair. “The train should be arriving soon. Think you’ll be up and at ‘em before then?”
 
Ian uttered a noise to Elizabeth that sounded like a grunt, hrumph, or who knew what it was but his answer to her question. He had raised the fancy China to his lips, sipping the cold tea before he went onto grabbing another piece of bacon to munch on. There was still some buttered toasts waiting to be coated in sweet jelly, and he didn’t know if he felt like doing it, or if he even wanted to get off the comfy train. Thinking about it…Ian’s eyes opened a little wider as he mused over what they would do next. With a piece of bacon poking out of the corner of his mouth and taking the place of his pipe, Ian decided to inform Elizabeth about what they would be doing today.

“As soon as we get off the train, I’m gonna get us a hotel and with whatever is left, I’m gonna buy you some hair dye and a few props for the show we’re gonna pull in the afternoon. I was thinkin’ about hittin’ one of the queer’s banks. It’s not gonna be easy, but if we manage to do it, we’re gonna be filthy rich. We won’t just be able to go to Vegas, we can get a house, a car, anythin’ we want. We can get ourselves a new life. It’s gonna be different this time. I’m gonna need your help because his bank is huge. I haven’t gotten a chance to teach you how to shoot, but hopefully we won’t have to shoot nobody. You’re gonna be watchin’ one side of the room, and I’m gonna be watchin’ the other. If any cops make any sort of moves, then you need to scream at them. Tell’em not to move or you’ll shoot’em up. We’ll practice and make plans later. You ready to go red, Hope?”
 
“Wait…what?” Elizabeth asked, cocking her head to the side as she tried to figure out if Ian had completely lost his mind. “You want to knock off one of Stephen’s banks?”

She was flabbergasted that he wanted to march into one of her former fiancée’s banks and rob them of enough money to make a clean break from their life of crime. The very thought of committing a criminal act made her head race and a heady feeling of giddiness filled her body.

“You’re out of your mind.” She said as he continued to talk about what she was going to do during the operation. “Ian, no one’s going to take me seriously….”

She could have come up with a million excuses as to why she couldn’t help him, but the way that he looked at her with such trust made those words die on her lips. He needed her to help him and it seemed that she had no other choice but to do it. It would be dangerous, incredibly so, but she trusted him to bring them both home safely.

She wrinkled her nose slightly as her unfamiliar alias spilled off his lips with a disturbing ease. She let out a short breath and shrugged her shoulders slightly, a smile tipping the corners of her lips.

“I guess I am, Henry.”
 
“It’s Harry,” Ian spoke on a slightly stern tone. “I have to make sure this heist is linked to the last one under the same alias or the cops will suspect that I’m throwin’ around false identities.”

Ian fell silent for a moment, realizing that he had sounded too gruff. Shaking his head, Ian said, “Don’t worry about it. I’ve done banks like his in the past. I ain’t lost it yet.”

He returned to his breakfast and for the remaining hour, he got dressed, straightened the room as good as they could get it and had his bag ready in time for the train to slide to a stop in front of the station. Hefting the bag over his shoulder, Ian made sure Elizabeth was in front of him so he could see her as he led her off the train and into the crowded station.

“Keep your head low,” Ian instructed.

It was back to the drawing board. He had to get Elizabeth out of the station and quickly find them a hotel before anyone recognized her. Meshed with a small group of folks, Ian followed them down the street until the first hotel called The Diamond appeared to his left. It seemed to be very expensive with the well-dressed valet at the door.

Cheaper Ian. We don’t want to blow it all, his conscience told him.

Continuing his search, he found a red phone booth and drew back the door, ushering Elizabeth inside before he stepped in and closed it. Ian hadn’t meant to leave her in his silence, but she had to have been used to it. When he was focused on a task, he wasn’t going to relax until it was complete. He opened the large phone booth and began flipping through the pages, searching it for cheap hotels. He then called the operator and inquired at a few hotels, going through ten before he found one on North Newstead Avenue that matched his price. Finished with the phone, Ian quickly said to Elizabeth, “Stay here for a moment.”

Ian then stepped out of the booth and searched the cars that rolled by on the street. There was one certain vehicle with an emblem on the side that caught Ian’s attention and bringing his fingers to his lips, the thief hailed the taxi down with a sharp whistle. Immediately, the vehicle jerked in the direction of the phone booth, pulling right in front of Ian as he then turned to Elizabeth to escort her and the bag out of the booth and into the vehicle. After climbing in after her, Ian told the driver, “North Newstead Avenue, Silver City Hotel, please.”

“Gotcha,” the taxi driver answered.

Once they were sitting comfortably in the taxi, Ian finally looked at Elizabeth and smiled at her reassuringly. She had just witnessed how accustomed Ian was to big cities. He knew how to get around even when he didn’t know shit about the place. Everything was going smooth so far, but he still wasn’t going to rest until he got him and Elizabeth safely into a hotel—Elizabeth especially.
 
The instructions were simple, but the situation was incredibly serious. Leaving the train would be a problem and she had no idea how far the reach of her father’s newspaper was. If there was someone in St. Louis who knew her, all of their plans might very well turn into dust.

She didn’t speak. HE didn’t need her too. She simply nodded and pushed her hands deep into the pockets of her coat as she moved from their room and down the corridor towards the exit. The porter offered her his hand at the exit and she took it with a smile, stepping down the steps and into a bustling city.

Elizabeth wanted to stand and stare, to take in the sights and sounds until she was absolutely drunk with the new experience. Ian pulled her along though, in the middle of a small crowd that was lumbering up the busy street. Her head whipped to and fro, taking in all the buildings as she struggled to remember that she was suppose to have her head down.

They were in a very nice part of town. The ladies were smartly dressed and the men in their suits looked handsome and polished. Strangely she felt like a scraggly little shrub next to beautiful flowers standing there in the street. It shouldn’t have mattered to her, but something in her chest clenched tightly at the sight of a life she’d left behind.

Following Ian into a phone booth, she stared out the glass as he called around for a hotel. They hadn’t spoken more than two words between them since they’d left the train, but she knew he was stressed. It was best to just let him be in the situation. She wanted to ask him to explore the city, but as she reached up to touch her blonde braid, she knew that might be a fatal mistake.

She glanced over at Ian as he hung up the phone and told her to stay in the booth for a moment. Watching through the glass as he left and hailed a cab. She was impressed that he knew his way around such a strange city. Exiting the booth, Elizabeth waited until he had his bag back in his hands before she followed him towards the waiting cab.

Sliding across the seat first, she glanced at Ian as he slid in behind her and told the driver their destination. When he smiled at her from across the seat, she returned the glance with a warm smile of her own. Reaching over, she took his hand and laced her fingers through his, squeezing it gently.

“You think we might be able to explore the city a little bit?” She asked, her hopes incredibly low but still the need to ask was there.
 
Ian’s eyes settled on her hand that was interlaced with his. He returned the endearing squeeze and raised the back of her hand to his lips as he lightly kissed her knuckles.

You think we might be able to explore the city a little bit?

The thief thought in silence for a moment. When they reached the hotel, he would need to go out and get the supplies they would need and by the time he managed to color her hair, it would be time to run the heist. He didn’t want to disappoint her. As much as he wanted to knock the bank right away, it didn’t need to happen today. They could have easily done it tomorrow, mid-day when it was crowded, but then money was very tight. Staying two nights at the hotel would leave them penniless and Ian never liked to be broke.

He frowned. It always disappointed him to know that his decisions often upset her. “Sorry Sunshine, but we don’t have the money for two nights at the hotel. We only have enough to go shoppin’ and for the party.”

He spoke to her figuratively for it was none of the driver’s business what they planned to do. “I’ll make it up to you afterwards I promise. We still got Kansas City, Denver, and Alberquerque to go. We gonna be drivin’ to Kansas to save some money and we’ll take the trains the rest of the way.”

“Silver City Hotel,” the driver informed as he pulled up to the curb.

Ian fished two quarters out of his pocket and handed it to the driver. “Thank ya.”

“Any time, friend,” the driver replied.

Ian opened his side and stepped out with his bag, leaving the door open for Elizabeth to exit on the sidewalk. The hotel was pretty rundown, but for what they were paying for it, he didn’t expect anything better. It was more than enough for one night and they weren’t planning on staying. Making sure Elizabeth was near him, he escorted her into the building and then had her stand before a painting with her back to the hotel manager.

“Welcome to Silver City,” the manager greeted paying no mind to how Ian had made Elizabeth stand off to the side.

Ian approached the desk. “I’m here to get us a single bed.”

The manager arched a brow. “You sure not something larger?”

“I’m sure. ‘Can’t afford any other way.”

The manager regarded the two. They looked like they had a long journey. Scratching lightly at his toupee, he asked, “You two visiting?”

“Yes, Sir,” Ian answered.

The manager looked around despite there being no other customers in the foyer. He then lowered his head and beckoned Ian over with a finger. Cautiously, Ian slowly stepped over and lowered his head so he could hear the manager whisper, “Don’t tell nobody, but I’m gonna let you both have one of the queens. Single price.”

Ian’s brows rose in surprise. “Really? Sir, you know you don’t have to.”

“I know; I know; just take my offer like the clever son of a gun I know you are.”

Removing a few bills from his pocket, he set them on the counter and the manager in return handed him a key.

“There you are. We serve breakfast at 6, lunch at 12, and dinner at 5.”

“Thank you, Sir. ‘Preciate it.”

“You and that fine gal just go enjoy yourselves.”

Ian looked over at Elizabeth and arched a brow as a naughty smirk quirked on his face. So that’s what that was all about. He was only teasing her before he walked over and placed the key in her hands and set the bag at her feet.

He told her, “I’m gonna go ahead and go lookin’ for them supplies. You go on upstairs to the room and wait for me, all right? I’ll try not to be too long.”

He glanced at the number on the key in her hand and stamped it to memory. “Don’t let anybody see you. If anyone goes knockin’ on the door, don’t answer. You’ll know when it’s me.”

Smiling at her, he attempted to raise her spirits a little. “And hey, this may be the last time you gotta hide your face.”
 
Though her heart clenched at being denied a look through the city, Elizabeth still smiled as Ian gently kissed her knuckles. Love didn’t quite describe what she felt for him. She adored this man, no matter if he was grumpy or not.

“I’ll hold you to that promise then.” She said softly as he promised to take her through Kansas City, Denver, and Albuquerque along the way. “And if you break it…well, we’ll have to talk about payment later.”

She glanced out the window of the cab as the man announced that they had reached their destination. She wrinkled her noise slightly and sighed. It looked like a dump, but she knew their money was tight and she supposed that she had to make due for the moment. Watching as Ian paid the cabbie, she slid out of the cab behind him, standing on the sidewalk and looking at the hotel with the same look that Ian currently had on his face.

“Well, it’s better than sleeping on the streets, right?” She asked as he pulled her behind him and placed her in front of a gaudy looking painting as he went to take care of the manager.

It seemed like forever when Ian finally came back to her, but she supposed it was only a few moments. Turning to look at him as he placed the bag at her feet, she didn’t really agree with him going out alone to get the things that they needed. The look on her face conveyed her feelings and she sighed softly as the key was pressed into her hand.

“Don’t be gone too long, alright?” She asked, her hand raising to rest against his cheek as she leaned in to press her lips to his in a simple goodbye kiss. “I’m going to take a bath. Didn’t get a chance for a proper one on the train.”

She grinned at him, laughing softly at the look on his face as she pressed her lips to his one last time before she leaned down to pick up the sack and then head to their room. She was very sure that Ian would keep the image of her naked and in the water in his mind the entire time that he was out in the city.
 
Her kisses were like a good buzz. She kissed him and the silliest, love-struck smile was on his face. She kissed him again and that time, he returned it before turning to watch her go on her way. Why was it that she always chose to bathe when he wasn’t around? Well, the first time was justified, but this time, come on. Did she really feel that dirty?

Ian stepped out of the hotel and felt the sun upon his face and the wind in his clothes. There was a long and pleasant smile on his face, making him look as though the world had actually found peace or perhaps he had. A man who happened to be walking by stopped to regard the oddly dressed man standing outside the Silver City hotel.

“Hey, uh, you okay there buddy? You’re lookin’ a little screwy?” the man asked.

Ian’s eyes settled on the man, his silly smile still gracing his lips. “I am,” was Ian’s reply before he went prancing down the street like a Gene Kelly before his time.

“Wow!” the man exclaimed. “He wasn’t kiddin’.”

Shoemaker Jewelers

The bell chimed as Ian stepped into the jewelry store and was greeted by the wrinkled nose of the store manager. He regarded the man in the oversized shirt and pants with a frown. Surely he had to be a bum for he looked as though he hadn’t seen a razor in days.

“You have some nerve walking in here! Who sent you? It was Hudson Jewelers across the street wasn’t it? You tell them if they send anymore bums around here, then I’m calling the cops!” the store manager exclaimed.

Ian stared nonchalantly at the man before he reached a hand into his pocket and removed the engagement ring Stephen had gotten Elizabeth. “I actually was wantin’ to exchange this ring for another one, but I don’t feel too welcome so…”

The bankrobber whirled towards the door with the intention to leave when the store manager practically lunged out from behind the counter to rest his hand upon Ian’s back and lead him closer to his collection.

“Pardon me, Sir. I am dreadfully sorry. It is a pleasure to know that you chose my store over any other,” the store manager praised.

Ian’s eyes narrowed as he scrutinized the rings. He hadn’t cared much for what the man said. He was on a mission to find the best ring he could afford. “Mhm…”

“Is there anything I can help you with?”

Running a hand back through his hair in his frustration, none of the rings had looked appealing enough. Glancing down at the engagement ring, Ian held it out to the store manager and asked, “How much does this cost?”

The manager took the ring and went behind the counter. Setting it down, he removed his appraisal kit from under the desk and opened it. Removing a small pair of tongs and a magnifying glass, he examined the diamonds in it, before he flipped through a small book. Running his finger down the lists, he stopped on a particular listing and his brows shot upwards.

“Wow!” he shouted.

Ian stepped toward the counter and stared at the book. “What? What is it?”

“This ring is worth about 100 dollars!”

The bankrobber’s heart practically stopped. One hundred dollars…and here he thought Elizabeth was a cheap bride to Stephen, but he was willing to spend 100 dollars on her? Well, not her, the ring she would wear. No wonder she had said he would be furious if he had stole it. Still…one hundred dollars; not even the little bank he had hit in Chicago had that amount. He had only made half.

“100 dollars…” Ian muttered under his breath. If he sold the ring, he could get the hair dye and go out on the town with Elizabeth as she had wanted. They could get some fancy clothes, and he could take her to the best restaurant in town. One hundred dollars was also enough money that they could use to reach Albuquerque, but he was eager to blow it all on his girl. The cage bird deserved it.

“Hey, buddy, you’re going to sell this to me right?” the store manager asked. “Rings like this don’t frequent ‘Souri.”

Ian wiped the stunned look from his face. “I don’t know…I’m wonderin’ what Hudson gots to offer.”

The store manager gave Ian a stare so desperate that he looked as though he would die if he didn’t get the ring.

“You want 100 dollars. I got 100 dollars.”

Ian reached across the counter to pick up his ring. He held it up before his eyes before he turned toward the door.

“105!” the store manager yelled.

The more money the man was willing to bid, the more excited Ian became until it took all of his willpower to bar back the Cheshire Cat grin that wanted to blossom on his face.

“130 dollars! My final offer!”

Ian stopped at the door and faced the store manager with a long smile. “Sold.”

Silver City Hotel

Ian wasted no time barging into the hotel and stopping by the counter to request his own room key. After getting the key, he raced up the stairs, skipping two steps until he found the door to their room. Frantically unlocking the door, he burst inside, a brown bag in one hand and a shopping bag in the other. He closed the door behind him and tossed both bags upon the bed.

“We need to do your hair now. We got a long night ahead of us. I changed my mind, and I’m takin’ you out,” Ian announced. He sprang onto the bed like a crazy person and held out his hands as he exclaimed the game plan, “We’re gonna dye your hair, change hotels, and then we’re gonna go to a tailor for some snazzy clothes. Afterwards, I’m gonna take you to the best restaurant in town!”

He must have sounded like he was on drugs, having told her previously about how tight they were for money, and then suddenly they were rich.
 
It was true that their hotel wasn’t the nicest, but Elizabeth found a certain charm in its out of date and dingy ways. The room was about ten years past fashionable and needed a new coat of paint, but it was clean and that’s all she could really ask for. Placing the sack down on the bed after she’d locked the door, she entered the bathroom and found, to her disappointment, only a shower stall.

“Not every thing is out of date, I guess.” She muttered to herself as she located the towels and helped herself to a quick cleaning.

Careful not to wet her hair, she sighed as the warm water pulsed over her aching muscles. She hadn’t wanted to admit it to Ian, but she was incredibly sore and tired after their night on the train. Still, the way that her inner thighs ached brought a silly little smile to her lips. It was a way to remind her of Ian even when he wasn’t there.

Shower finished, she stepped out and wrapped herself in one of the fluffy towels, pacing around the room as she waited for him to return. The thought that they were going to knock over a bank still made her stomach clench painfully. She didn’t know if she was strong enough to do that, but Ian seemed to have complete faith in her abilities. She certainly didn’t want to break that trust in any way, but she was having trouble conveying her fears to him

Still, there was a certain pleasure in knowing that it was one of Stephen’ banks that they were targeting. It wasn’t that she truly hated her ex-fiancé. He was just a difficult man to love. He’d lied to her, cheated on her, treated her like something less than human…everything that Ian didn’t. Ian made her feel safe, complete, worthy of his time. It was such a wonderful world with him.

She was just pulling on her yellow dress again when Ian burst into the room, his eyes wide and excited as he threw two bags down on the bed. Listening to what he said, a frown tipping her lips as she wondered if he’d gone out and done something illegal.

“What are you talking about?” She asked, stunned that he wanted to take her out all of the sudden. “What about our…plans?”

His enthusiasm was infectious as he promised to take her out on the town, to buy some new clothing, to eat in the fanciest restaurant. They hadn’t had enough money earlier to pay for their room and now he was going to treat her like a queen?

“Ian, calm down.” She said, laughing softly in joy at his happiness. “What has gotten into you? I don’t need fancy clothes and this place really isn’t so bad.”
 
Ian dropped to his knees, bouncing a bit as the mattress springs protested. He grabbed the paper bag that was fat with…tipping the bag upside down, the amount of bills that rained down on the bed could have filled a waste bin. Grasping the cash in his hands, Ian howled, “Woo!” before he tossed them into the air, making it rain!

He had been neglecting to tell her where the cash had come from because he wasn’t sure if she had missed the ring or not. He wasn’t even sure how she would react to the fact that Stephen’s ring was what had made them rich.

“Okay; okay,” Ian began, calming himself. “Don’t get mad, but…I sold the ring. That ring was worth over 100 dollars and I managed to sell it for 130. Now, I could take this money and we can go straight to Albuquerque with it, or we can go out on the town and have the greatest night of our lives in St. Louis. Unfortunately, if we go with plan B, because I intend to spend every last cent on you, we’re gonna have to rob a bank tomorrow. Whatever you decide, Sunshine, I’m game.”
 
Elizabeth gasped as Ian suddenly dumped the contents of the bag on the bed, throwing the bills up in the air. She stared at him with her jaw dropped, watching as the paper fluttered around them in a soft rustle of noise. To people like her family and Stephen, the amount of money was trivial, but to Ian, it was a bounty.

Then he admitted how he had gained the money. She listened quietly for a long moment as he told her that he’d sold her engagement ring and the man at the store had given him $130. It certainly was a lot, she thought as he laid out his plans. She could either go to Albuquerque with him or they could live it up in St. Louis.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, she pondered both sides of the question. Albuquerque would be the responsible answer. Robbing a bank was risky business but a most definite inevitability where Ian was concerned. Picking up a small stack of bills, she ran her thumb over the edges, listening to the crisp paper snap back into place as she thought.

Looking at Ian, she tried to keep her features schooled in a serious gaze, but it was a losing battle as she started to smile. His happiness was infectious and she most definitely wanted to have fun with him.

“So…does this mean you’re going to buy me a fancy dress?” She asked, giggling at the look that crossed his features.
 
Ian watched Elizabeth meditate on her decision. She sat on the edge of the bed, grabbed a stack of bills and flipped them idly. She had him believing that she wanted to go to Albuquerque instead. He would have felt slight disappointment, but nothing extreme. As long as he and Elizabeth were together, he didn’t expect their journey to ever get boring.

She smiled. It had started out small before it smoothed over her lips. She giggled:

So…does this mean you’re going to buy me a fancy dress?

“Anythin’ you want. I’m spendin’ all this on you,” Ian replied. He grabbed the other bag and slid off the bed to find a wooden chair that had been situated before a chipped vanity desk. He grabbed the chair and set it some feet before the bed and reached into the bag to remove a pair of scissors. Opening and closing its sharp legs, he lowered them and glanced over at her. “How do you want your ‘do? Everythin’ off the top? Bowl cut? Or maybe somethin’ hairless and exotic.”

He smirked at her mischievously knowing how hard it was for her to give up her hair, let alone let Ian Darcy cut it. Speaking of haircuts, he ran a hand back through his own hair. He just may give himself a trim after.
 
Watching as he arranged a chair in front of the bed and pulled out a sharp pair of scissors, Elizabeth instantly sobered. He was going to cut her hair. Absently, she reached for her thick braid, her fingers gripping it tightly as she considered his question. Did she really have to cut it? Surely a color change would be just as good…

“Oh…well, I haven’t really thought about it.” She said, her voice trailing off near the end of her statement as she stood from the bed and moved to the seat that he’d placed for her.

“You sure that we have to do this?” She asked as she looked over her shoulder at him, her eyes a bit skeptical. “I mean, red hair should be enough, right?”

The look in his dark eyes told her that she was being a big baby. With a sigh, she turned to face forward, letting go of her braid and letting out a deep breath as she felt him take hold of the thick coil.

“Just do whatever you like. Just…not too short, alright?” She looked over her should at him again in a nervous motion, a sigh leaving her lips before she nodded and turned back forward, her eyes squeezing shut.
 
She was scared, and all Ian could do was grin at her. It seemed like an asshole thing to do, but he was confident that whatever he chose to do with her hair she would like. Call it arrogance or pure confidence in his skill as a self-barber. Ian waited patiently for Elizabeth too stop sighing and whimpering before he set the scissors on the bed and took her golden braid into his hands. Removing the ties, he unbraided it and ran his fingers through her downy mane, spreading the layers so he could see them. He could see why she didn’t want to cut it. Her hair was beautiful and he knew this from the countless strokes he’s given it. Spreading it across her back, Ian grabbed the scissors and warned her, “Don’t move.”

The snip of the scissors and the light tugs at her roots were what she would hear and feel every now and then. Ian worked diligently, lining up her layers and cutting across before he stroked his fingers through it and made sure the hair was equal length. He cut her hair up to her shoulders and only passed them by centimeters that were barely visible. Once her hair was cropped, it became easier for him to work with. The bankrobber stepped around in front of her, appearing to be looking through her as his focus was on her hair. He gave her some bangs and pulled down some strands about her ears, snipping here and there to balance the layers so it looked more like a style than a hedge.

Sweeping hair from her shoulders with his hand, Ian’s mocha eyes finally flicked to her blues as he gave her an accomplished smile. Straightening, he directed with his hand over to the bathroom where the lone, oval mirror stood against the wall.

“I feel I did a pretty good job. Check it out,” he said.

As she would go to the bathroom to examine her new hairstyle, Ian set down the scissors and grabbed the bag that had the red dye in it. He read the box before he opened it and found inside it some plastic gloves, pins, and a squirt bottle. Dye wasn’t foreign to Ian for he had dyed his own hair once upon a time, but every decade they came out with something different that he needed to make sure was safe to apply. Satisfied with his purchase, he slipped on the gloves and carried the box and chair over to the bathroom. He was disappointed that it didn’t have a bath tub for the sink he felt would make things a little uncomfortable.

Stopping by the door, Ian asked with a soft smile, “How do you like it?”

It definitely made her look different. Rebellious maybe and unlike the women that walked around prim and proper, arm-in-arm with their rich lovers. She was definitely different and it made Ian a little excited to see what the red dye would do.

“You know, once we dye it, you can walk down to the hair parlor and get it properly washed and dried. In the meantime…” Ian glanced mischievously off to the side. “I think I may shop around a bit and get ya later. We’ll go get you a dress then.”
 
The feel of Ian’s fingers in her hair made her shiver. Elizabeth closed her eyes as she felt him smoothing her long locks out, spreading them across her shoulders until he was satisfied that he could work without interruption. She wanted to trust him, but there was something deeply territorial in her when it came to her hair.

When she was told not to move, she nodded her head once and held her breath at the soft sound the scissors made when they opened. They quietly snipped along, gliding through her hair with little effort. Every so often, she felt a tug on her roots, his fingers pulling her hair even as he worked in silence.

She wanted to talk to him, to talk about inconsequential things to alleviate the tension. The words wouldn’t come and as he moved around in front of her, she watched the sure motions of his arms as he start to cut and style the front of her hair. He was focused on his duty, treating it seriously instead of flippant.

“Is it alright?” She asked nervously as he swept the loose hair from her shoulders, his eyes finally locking onto hers before he smiled in a way that only Ian seemed able to do.

Standing and walking into the bathroom, she found herself looking into the mirror and assessing the new woman that stared back at her. Her fingers reached up to touch her hair, her eyes trailing over the job that Ian had done. She was loathe to admit it, but Ian actually knew what he was doing and the look wasn’t half bad.

She jumped when his voice rang out from the door and she looked at him with a smile on her lips. “It’s not half bad.” She said in response, her eyes traveling to the dye that he held in his hands.

“You mean I can go get my hair done by a professional? You’ll most definitely spoil me, Mr. Darcy.” The least she could do after that statement was move close and press her lips to his. The kiss was fleeting, but full of thanks before she was pulling away to grab the chair from where they had just cut her hair, moving it to sit before the sink so she could sit down while he worked.
 
Her kisses were potent as always. She was right. He would spoil her because she was his girl. His hands were hungry to hold her, but he restrained himself. There was work still to be done, and some things were better off happening at another time. She broke their kiss, taking a seat in the chair as he stepped into the bathroom to set the box in the sink. He then started on her hair, taking a lock at a time and smoothing the dye through it root-to-tip. He smoothed the dye through her hair until her mane was as red as a strawberry looking as though it was dipped in cherry syrup. Unfortunately, the dye didn’t smell similarly. It was a horrible, eggy stench that Ian was too eager to rinse out.

“Let’s rinse this shit outta your hair,” Ian said.

When she stood, he slid the chair aside. Instead of having her face the sink, he had her face him and eased her back over the bowl. His right arm curled behind her, supporting the small of her back so there was no discomfort. Ian stood over her, his shadow bathing her as he gave her an innocent smile. His left hand held the back of her head before he turned the hot and cold dials, getting the water to a suitable temperature. He brushed the water through her hair while staring into her pretty blues.

“I’m gettin’ a strange feelin’ that I may be makin’ a mistake. Red-headed bombshell…” Ian playfully winced. “I’m creatin’ a monster.”

He continued to stroke her hair, watching as the extra dye flushed down the drain. He kissed her lips lightly, unable to resist her sweetness. “After this, you’ll be able to go anywhere you want. No one will know who you are. You’re a new gal from here on.”

He rinsed her hair a second time, rinsing until no more dye swirled down the sink. He then leaned off of her, wringing her hair out before reaching to grab one of the hotel towels. He wrapped it about her hair and stood back so that she could dry it. Grabbing the chair and box, Ian set to get rid of the evidence of there ever being any cosmetic work done.

“I’m gonna be here for awhile,” Ian told her. He stopped to grab some cash off the bed and handed it to her. “You go get your hair done, and I’ll come get you later. I’ll try not to be long.”
 
Who would have known that Ian would have such gentle hands? Elizabeth was in awe of that fact as she sat down in the chair once more and he started to spread the red dye across her blond locks. It stank to high heaven, but he was quick and methodical, making sure the color stayed an even tone as his massaged it from root to tip.

“Agreed.” She said as he made a face and told her they were going to rinse it out.

Standing up, he slid the chair out from behind her and slowly bent her back over the sink. His strong arm was hooked behind the small of her back, supporting her as he got the water temperature just right. Of course, she was sure that he didn’t mind staring down at her in such close surroundings. Their bodies pressed together and his playful smirk returned.

“So…does that mean that I look like a natural redhead?” She asked as he playfully teased her about creating a monster. “Cause I might have to use that to my advantage.”

His coffee colored eyes held such a rich emotion in them. Did he know that she could see his very soul staring into them? She wondered if any other woman ever had that same privilege. A little twinge of jealousy clenched her stomach tightly as he strokd her hair and leaned in to kiss her lips lightly.

“As long as I’m still your gal, I have nowhere else I’d rather be.” She said with a smile tugging at her full lips. “Nobody else better be your Sunshine.”

She laughed softly as he rinsed her hair a second time. He seemed to enjoy this moment a little too much and the thought filled her with glee. This handsome, darkly dangerous man, had taken a shine to her and she basked in the warmth that he provided. It was a heady feeling to know that he wanted her so much.

Once he was finished, she waited until he wrapped her hair and she ran the towel briskly through her locks, taking off the extra dye and leaving the white towel stained red. Shaking out her new hairstyle, she turned to look at him as he handed her a stack of cash, a grin on her lips.

“I’ll make sure I’m all gussied up for our date on the town.” She said, taking the money and pressing a kiss to his cheek.

Moving to exit the room, she placed her hand on the doorknob and stopped, looking over her shoulder at him for a long moment. As she twisted the brass knob, she felt words bursting to get free from her chest. If she didn’t tell him now, she didn’t know if she’d ever get the courage again.

“Ian?” She asked as the door opened and she stood there waiting for his attention. “I love you.”

With that, she winked at him and smiled, leaving before she could hear his response.
 
I’ll make sure I’m all gussied up for our date on the town.

Ian smiled as she pressed a kiss to his cheek. He reached out with every intention to stop her, his fingers only managing to lightly brush her hip before he retracted his impulse at the last second. Again, he told himself, another time. The same hand rose to comb back through his hair as he felt slightly bothered by his restraint.

“We’ll meet outside the salon then,” Ian told her before she could leave. He had wanted to go with her when she picked out the dress, but it was more interesting if they surprised each other.

Ian?

Ian had gone back to cleaning when he realized Elizabeth hadn’t left yet. Facing her, he smiled, “Yes, love?”

I love you.

She winked at him and went on her way, his lips parting to say something, but the door closed too quickly. Staring at the door with brows raised in surprise, Ian muttered a late reply, “Love you too.”

He turned back to the trash he had to collect, staring at it as he imagined that a few hours from now they were going to meet up, and Elizabeth was going to be someone different. He almost feared he wouldn’t recognize her. Either way, he was still excited, and he had to make sure to look just as handsome.

2 hours later; The Salon

The sun was shining as four o’clock set in. The streets were still plagued with vehicles and ladies and gentlemen passed along the sidewalks but not in as thick a current as twelve o’clock had been when the train let off. Three young women were walking down the street, giggling and chatting over a play one of the girls had been in. The three women were all dressed conservatively with their dresses passing their knees by two inches, white stockings, and low-heeled shoes. They looked like church girls.

“It was so strange. As I was dancin’ the director was starin’ at me,” the show girl explained.

“Hush now,” her blonde friend said in disbelief.

“I’m not lying. He was watchin’ me with…with these eyes…”

The girl then tried to imitate the stare, her eyes widening and brows knitting in an intense look. The girls erupted into a flutter of giggles as they imagined.

“Is he handsome?” her other friend asked.

“Of course not!” the show girl replied. “He’s like my grandfather!”

The girls giggled again, and the blonde noticed a lone gentleman headed in their direction. He was carrying a rather large sack over his shoulder rather effortlessly as the swagger in his step was hardly interrupted. The man seemed to glow in his chocolate suit and buffed shoes. It complimented the color of his hair and accentuated his tan complexion. Freshly trimmed, his edges were sharp and his face closely shaven until it was as smooth as marble. No longer wearing his ghetto-get up, Ian almost looked like a different man. He wore a brown tie, beige dress shirt, with a brown and gold threaded waistcoat. His faux-gold buttons and cuffs shined gently in the sunlight and the matching fedora he wore was tipped to the side, doing justice to his laid-back character.

“Girls, girls, girls!” the blonde lightly slapped her friends shoulders as she tried to get their attention through their fits.

“Goodness Mary, is it really that important?” the show girl asked.

“Twelve o’clock,” Mary informed.

The girls looked up the street and their eyes widened at the sight of Ian. There were so many young ladies, arms locked about their lovers, turning an eye over their shoulders to give the lone fellow a second glance. He stopped by a flower shop, pointing to a bouquet of butter roses.

Golly,” the brunette gasped.

“Well, isn’t he fine,” the show girl said.

“And he’s alone,” Mary noted.

“He just bought some flowers. Really Mary, no woman would let a man like that live on this earth alone.”

“Gee, whoever his lady is, she sure is lucky.”

As Ian walked by with the bouquet of golden roses, the three girls inspected him closely and savored the smell of his cologne as he passed. It had been robust and fresh with mint, sandalwood, and perhaps even leather. Three paces away, Ian’s pace slowed and he gazed back at the women, playfully eying them as they had eyed him so unabashed. The women blushed and giggled madly, hiding their faces behind their gloves as Ian wore the smile Elizabeth had the pleasure of seeing every day of her life.

Back on the trail, Ian smiled proudly. He had never received so much attention before. He might not have understood it, but Elizabeth surely would. The salon was just before him, and he glanced at the roses and then over his suit, making sure he was spick and span without a thing out of place.
 
A salon was a familiar place that brought back a sense of normality to Elizabeth’s life. The women inside were gossiping, talking about a show girl that had supposedly had an affair with a local director. The girl wasn’t older than 18 and it had caused a scandal in the neighborhood.

Elizabeth smiled to herself as she sat under the hair dryer, the curlers in her hair holding her new do into place as the rush of air heated her locks until they were dry. The women at the salon had ooed and ahed over her hair color, asking where she had gotten it done. Something in Elizabeth had impishly demanded that she tell him that it was her natural color. Surprisingly enough, the women believed her.

“Alright, dear. Let’s get you styled!” The heavy set woman who had been attending to her insisted, pulling the hood of the dryer up and escorting her back to the chair. “So, what’s the occasion? A new dress, new shoes, new hair…your man taking you out tonight?”

Elizabeth glanced towards the dress bag and the shoe box that she’d picked up before heading to the salon and smiled to herself as she thought about it. Ian’s jaw would hit the floor when he saw her and she almost couldn’t wait for that very moment.

“Yes, he is. We just got into town and he promised me a night to remember.” She said as the woman arranged her new curls to drape around her shoulders, her new bangs swept to the side until she could barely recognize the woman staring back at her in the mirror.

“Well, he’s a lucky man. The rest of us would kill to look half as effortless as you.” Elizabeth blushed at the comment and she said a quiet thank you.

When the woman was finished, she asked to use the restroom to change and the woman pointed her towards the back of the salon. Elizabeth smiled and claimed her things, entering the tiny room to dress so she could meet Ian. Her stomach was full of butterflies as she shimmied out of her yellow sundress.

Unzipping the garment bag, she stared at the black dress inside, a smile splitting her full lips. She would never have been allowed to wear a dress like this in Chicago and something made her start to giggle. She hoped that Ian liked it half as much as she did.

Pulling on the garment, she smoothed out the dark fabric and stared at herself in the mirror. A redhead beauty stared back at her. The dress hugged her curves almost scandalously. A sweatheart neckline put her breasts on display without being outwardly whorish. The skirt fell from her hips to graze against her knees, a daring cut that was the height of fashion.

Slipping out of her stained brown heels, she opened the shoebox and pulled out a pair of pretty blue heels, slipping into the soft leather shoes with a sigh. They fit like a dream. Packing up her clothing, she stepped out of the restroom to a room full of women staring at her with wide eyes. It was apparent that they appreciated and she gave them a thanks and paid her bill before she stepped outside.

The moment that she saw Ian waiting on her, she almost didn’t recognize him. He was so incredibly handsome in his smart suit that she actually blushed as his coffee eyes turned towards her.

“Well, look who cleans up well.” She said, holding her garment bag and shoe box under her arm.
 
The salon door chimed and Ian heard the clack of heels over his shoulder. He turned an eye over it, noticing the red-head in his peripherals. She was staring at him, and he turned around to give Elizabeth an oblivious stare. The woman standing before him was gorgeous and he couldn’t look away. Oh God, he prayed that Elizabeth wouldn’t find him groping the vixen before him with his eyes. The skirts of her dress were shorter than what would normally be allowed, showing off a lengthy pair of legs. Her sweetheart neckline allowed him to see the seductive curves of her breasts. Ian’s arousal meter was already going up.

Well, look who cleans up well.

Ian’s brows shot upward, recognizing the voice immediately and the blush that heated her cheeks.

“Holy cow!” Ian exclaimed. He blinked his eyes in disbelief.

“Sweet Jesus!” he shouted again. “I didn’t even recognize you.”

Ian held up his hands in a playful surrender gesture. “Shit, I don’t think I can handle this. We made a mistake. You don’t realize how much you’re makin’ me burn up right now. I only rented this suit for the night to save some dough. I gotta return it in the mornin’ and if you come any closer, let’s just say I’ll have to buy this suit.”

Stretching out his arm, he offered Elizabeth the butter roses at a distance. “You are absolutely gorgeous.”

A lengthy, black Dodge limousine pulled up to the sidewalk behind Ian as he smirked proudly, “Oh, by the way, I hope you don’t mind. I got us a ride. It’s kind of early for dinner, and I remembered you wanted to tour the city, so I thought we could just ride around.”

The chauffeur stepped out of the vehicle and walked around it to meet his two passengers. “Mr. Beckman?”

Ian smiled cleverly at the driver, “That’ll be me.”

The chauffeur smiled and popped open the door, revealing the expansive interior with wine-red felt cushions and carpet. There was a bottle of fresh champagne, sitting in a silver bucket of ice. Ian stepped aside the door, and waved his hand to the inside. “After you Beautiful.”
 
Elizabeth blushed deeper as Ian looked at her in disbelief. She wasn’t prepared for his reaction, but it made her heart swell even more as he made her feel like the most beautiful woman in the world.

“Well, maybe if you’re good today, I might give you a reward tonight.” She said as a grin crossed her full, red lips as she watched him stretch out hi arm and offer her a bouquet of beautiful roses. “Oh, Ian! They’re beautiful.”

Taking the flowers, she brought them to her nose, taking in a deep breath of their sweet scent. Looking back up at him as he declared her gorgeous, she smiled shyly. Ian Darcy was most definitely saying and doing all the right things. He was true to his word…everything about that day was for her.

She gasped as a limo pulled up at the sidewalk behind him and by the way that he smirked, she knew that it was for them. Her eyes filled with tears of happiness as Ian stepped aside the door and waved his hand for her to enter the car. Beautiful…the one little word sent her soul on fire.

“Thank you.” She said softly, allowing the chauffer to take her garment bag and shoe box before she slid into the plush interior of the vehicle.

It was a luxurious limo with plush red cushions and carpets. A silver bucket sat on a sideboard, chilling a bottle of champagne. This had to be a dream, she thought to herself as she watched Ian slide into the limo and the chauffer shut the door behind him.

“Ian, you didn’t have to do all of this.” She insisted, sliding across the seat to thank him with a kiss. Her lips clung to his sweetly, her hands playing with the collar of his new suit. “But thank you.”
 
The kiss from the red beauty was starting a fire inside him. This woman…she could have made him melt if it were logically possible. When her lips released his, Ian licked his lips, doing a poor job at getting rid of the red lipstick she left behind.

“For a kiss like that, I think it was worth it,” he jested. He then raised his hand, taking her powdered cheek in his palm before he looked her in her eyes. “You’re worth every cent.”

The chauffeur slid into the vehicle next and rolled down the privacy window as he asked, “Where to Sir?”

Ian glanced over at the chauffeur and answered, “Let’s go to the park, and then maybe we can catch a show some place.”

“I hear the Ambassador is havin’ a special opera tonight, but it’s on the big screen.”

Ian arched a brow. “Oh yeah?”

He looked to Elizabeth. “You think you’d be interested in seein’ that?”
 
Back
Top