What's for dinner?

Sorry, Chloe; I'd forgotten that there are those for whom the myriad delights of simple English cuisine are a closed book.

No other people would have the balls to call a dish "Spotted Dick." Respect. :D

The film "V for Vendetta" introduced me to eggs in a basket, which I now eat regularly. Not for dinner, obviously, but regularly.

Last edited:
No other people would have the balls to call a dish "Spotted Dick." Respect. :D

Expletive deleted! "Spotted Dick"? I can't stop laughing.

Who else would use beef fat in a dessert except maybe chinese? I've never heard of that but okay, it's on my list now. I've never heard of suet either. Have to see if I can track that one down. Not something I've ever seen in my local supermarket as far as I can remember. But I love anything with sultana's or dried fruit in.

And yaaaaaay, I don't have to. Amazon sell "Spotted Dick"!!!!

I also found come Cock-flavored soup mix so this is like gourmet heaven! Going to show my partner and his buddies this one after they've had a few beers tonight. And then lick my lips and toss the chinese cleaver up and down. "Any volunteers to help make the soup, guys...." LOL. Get the timing right and I'll see how much beer can pass through a nasal passage.

51BkeNe%2B0GL.jpg

91fqle9OOHL._SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
My old Mum used to make a super Suet Pudding with apple.
With a decent custard, it was 'ruddy marvellous'.

But tonight, and for the first time in nigh on a decade - Pizza,
made by my local baker.
And tasty it was too!

Expletive deleted! "Spotted Dick"? I can't stop laughing.

Who else would use beef fat in a dessert except maybe chinese? I've never heard of that but okay, it's on my list now. I've never heard of suet either. Have to see if I can track that one down. Not something I've ever seen in my local supermarket as far as I can remember. But I love anything with sultana's or dried fruit in.

And yaaaaaay, I don't have to. Amazon sell "Spotted Dick"!!!!

I also found come Cock-flavored soup mix so this is like gourmet heaven! Going to show my partner and his buddies this one after they've had a few beers tonight. And then lick my lips and toss the chinese cleaver up and down. "Any volunteers to help make the soup, guys...." LOL. Get the timing right and I'll see how much beer can pass through a nasal passage.

51BkeNe%2B0GL.jpg

91fqle9OOHL._SX522_.jpg

My husband is a graduate of the English public school system (and it took me a long, long time to work out why these most exclusive of private schools were called 'public') and consequently still eats like a boarding-school boy; his favorite puddings are Jam Roly Poly Sponge Pudding, steamed Marmalade Roll, steamed Apple and Blackberry Pudding, Jam Sponge, and Treacle Tart, and the infamous, but sinfully delicious Spotted Dick, all served with hot custard; it doesn't matter if I serve the most elegant French dessert, devised by the best chefs known to man, he'll still look hopefully for the custard, and look disappointed when he doesn't get any. His cousins are the same, probably because they all went to the same schools, and their wives despair of them too.

When it comes to mains, it has to be drenched in gravy; it doesn't matter what it is, the gravy boat's not far away; if he could work out a way of pouring gravy on a salad that doesn't make me have hysterics at him, he'd do it.

Last edited:
Crock pot chicken cooked in cream of chicken soup and white wine, brown rice, assorted raw veg with blue cheese dip, and key lime cheesecake pudding.

My husband is a graduate of the English public school system (and it took me a long, long time to work out why these most exclusive of private schools were called 'public') and consequently still eats like a boarding-school boy; his favorite puddings are Jam Roly Poly Sponge Pudding, steamed Marmalade Roll, steamed Apple and Blackberry Pudding, Jam Sponge, and Treacle Tart, and the infamous, but sinfully delicious Spotted Dick, all served with hot custard; it doesn't matter if I serve the most elegant French dessert, devised by the best chefs known to man, he'll still look hopefully for the custard, and look disappointed when he doesn't get any. His cousins are the same, probably because they all went to the same schools, and their wives despair of them too.

When it comes to mains, it has to be drenched in gravy; it doesn't matter what it is, the gravy boat's not far away; if he could work out a way of pouring gravy on a salad that doesn't make me have hysterics at him, he'd do it.

But Lori, one simply cannot have a main course (particularly with meat) without suitable gravy: It's inescapable; vital, even. And to follow?:
Apple pie & Ice Cream (or custard, if it's the right viscosity).
And your writing continues to amuse in no small measure. :rose:

Oven fried chicken, mashed potatoes w/gravy. Grocery store tomorrow because this is literally all that I had in the kitchen! I wish I had some fresh green beans to go with dinner, but maybe next time.

This has been my go to fried chicken recipe lately. I love this woman's videos and watch all of them, except her Bold & Beautiful ones because I don't watch that show. This is my first recipe of hers I've tried and I can't wait to try some more.
https://youtu.be/R80j7sruGfk

Braised Wild Turkey Breast with mashed potatoes & mushroom gravy .

Icecream. Coz it was a rough day and Ice-cream makes a great dinner when times are rough. It's not even dinner time but the Ice-cream was great and I feel waaaaaay better. The magic of comfort food!

Chicken shawarma, Jerusalem salad, hummus, and pita bread.:heart:

Last edited:
Icecream. Coz it was a rough day and Ice-cream makes a great dinner when times are rough. It's not even dinner time but the Ice-cream was great and I feel waaaaaay better. The magic of comfort food!

A little Ben & Jerry's always cures whatever is bothering me! hehehe

Tonight it's pizza, like take out pizza. Been busy all day and my and my youngest went to volunteer at the food pantry today and were gone for 5 hours and I am worn out!

Last night I had a succulent slowly cooked chicken well seasoned with organic herbs also with rice beans and a pasta salad.

Back to some earlier posts...

I was in Costa Rica a few years ago and ate at a restaurant where the dish "gallo pintado" was translated as "painted cock."

But for tonight, I'm making Swedish meatballs and broad noodles with lingonberries on the side.

Last edited:
Back