The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not seen a "cruise control" on an English car for a long time (and they weren't too common then). I gather that some English cars these days may be so fitted, though; but not many !
Not that the absence thereof in my own car ever prevented my overshooting the odd junction, of course.

And we now enjoy +8C, in bright sunshine (so tonight's going to be bloody cold)

Could you even use cruise control in the U.K.?

Now here where I am it's six packs. How many six packs is the drive from X to Y. And there's nothing much in between. I don't like cruise control tho. I like to play.

Now here where I am it's six packs. How many six packs is the drive from X to Y. And there's nothing much in between. I don't like cruise control tho. I like to play.

I have cruise control on one of my Volvos. The only time I have used it in the UK was on the nearly empty M6 Toll Road.

French Autoroutes? That's different. I can leave cruise control on for 200 km.

I've not seen a "cruise control" on an English car for a long time (and they weren't too common then). I gather that some English cars these days may be so fitted, though; but not many !
Not that the absence thereof in my own car ever prevented my overshooting the odd junction, of course.

And we now enjoy +8C, in bright sunshine (so tonight's going to be bloody cold)

I had it on a my 2005 Jaguar.

It's on every Land/Range Rover sold in the USA.

Erm. . Yes, Chloe, I occasionally travel sufficient distance to warrant the use of a 'cruise control', although, like you, I prefer to actually drive the thing.
Would a 6-pack be something to drink, perhaps ? :rose:

Meanwhile, it's foggy and damp (I must look up how to take a picture in the fog), so turn up the fire and relax with a nice cup of Tea.

Erm. . Yes, Chloe, I occasionally travel sufficient distance to warrant the use of a 'cruise control', although, like you, I prefer to actually drive the thing.
Would a 6-pack be something to drink, perhaps ? :rose:

Meanwhile, it's foggy and damp (I must look up how to take a picture in the fog), so turn up the fire and relax with a nice cup of Tea.

A six-pack? Drink, yes. Four letters. Begins with b and ends with r. I of course do no such thing she says virtuously. Someone sits beside me and does it! He's assimilated into the local cultural and behavioural patterns. My contribution is shooting at the road signs (kidding... I would NEVER do that :D)

p74s_street_sign_with_bullet_holes_in_montana.jpg

Last edited:
Cruise control is a waste when there is other traffic around, but on those desert highways it is the only way to survive. I don't think I would ever trust a car that stopped for me or drove for me, but I have no problem with giving the car control over the accelerator as long as I can take back the control when needed by hitting the brake or turning it off.

Had snow during the night, less than an inch, except for some on the car and under a few trees, the snow has melted off. Been dry here since early October.

Evening all,

Bills paid, shopping done, had a nice lunch in town and brought home fried chicken for supper.

Fresh coffee for those in need. 70 degrees tomorrow and then back in the freezer for four or five days. The roller coaster weather resumes.

I have cruise control on one of my Volvos. The only time I have used it in the UK was on the nearly empty M6 Toll Road.

French Autoroutes? That's different. I can leave cruise control on for 200 km.

Come back to OZ Ogg! On the continent's only direct east/west highway you can drive from Norseman (Pop 800) in Western Australia to Port Augusta in South Australia (Pop 13,500) a distance of 1669 km without ever disengaging cruise control. I have done it - many years ago.

The largest settlement on that stretch is Eucla which claims some 80 souls. For the rest of the 3,934 km trip from Perth to Sydney you could probably stay in cruise control mode for 95% + of the distance.

Come back to OZ Ogg! On the continent's only direct east/west highway you can drive from Norseman (Pop 800) in Western Australia to Port Augusta in South Australia (Pop 13,500) a distance of 1669 km without ever disengaging cruise control. I have done it - many years ago.

The largest settlement on that stretch is Eucla which claims some 80 souls. For the rest of the 3,934 km trip from Perth to Sydney you could probably stay in cruise control mode for 95% + of the distance.

When I was in OZ cruise control didn't exist and if it did you'd never use it. I still have a road condition map from then. They were celebrating that the Hume Highway between Melbourne and Sydney was all bitumen. The Princes Highway? About 60%. The dirt roads became ripple roads if used continuously by heavy trucks, and could wash out after heavy rain.

Driving in a straight line at a constant speed was rare.

Told you I was as old as dirt...

Ogg, be careful now. Dirt isn't all that old. Rocks are what are old. ;)

Fresh coffee for the morning crew.

I think I might spend some time in the shop today. Over 65 degrees and rainy. The perfect time to saw up some wood.

Had snow during the night, less than an inch, except for some on the car and under a few trees, the snow has melted off. Been dry here since early October.

We got 0.03 inches of rain yesterday. It was the first moisture we've had in 96 days, which was good for third place all time among our historical dry spells.

We had a little over an inch in a hour earlier when the front went through. Probably another half inch over the rest of the day.

Fresh coffee for the afternooner crowd.

I got all the lumber cut for a half dozen planter boats with trailers. When it warms up again next week, I'll screw, glue, and nail them together.

We had a little over an inch in a hour earlier when the front went through. Probably another half inch over the rest of the day.

Fresh coffee for the afternooner crowd.

I got all the lumber cut for a half dozen planter boats with trailers. When it warms up again next week, I'll screw, glue, and nail them together.

Ah - coffee.
Just the job on a damp January morn; thanks.

Different morning, different temp. 28f, feels like 18f. A 40 degree drop from yesterday. :eek:

I'm staying in today. Fresh coffee anyone? I'm thinking, patty sausage and biscuits for breakfast.

Different morning, different temp. 28f, feels like 18f. A 40 degree drop from yesterday. :eek:

I'm staying in today. Fresh coffee anyone? I'm thinking, patty sausage and biscuits for breakfast.

Coffee please, Tex. I need a big one. Long busy morning. Must be the weather. Back to my story this afternoon. I'm writing up an Apache mission at the moment and there's a lot of reference back to my Apache books. Starting up an Apache and taking off loaded for bear..... still, my proof reader has been thru 5 chapters and only minor corrections. This is good.

I think the batteries died in my pen. :eek:

Tuna salad for supper. Something different.

Fresh coffee to thaw the evening crowd.

I left SoCal because of the lack of rain. Here in the PNW I can look out the window nearly every day from October to June and see drops falling in my bird bath rocks. It's uncannily satisfying.

I left SoCal because of the lack of rain. Here in the PNW I can look out the window nearly every day from October to June and see drops falling in my bird bath rocks. It's uncannily satisfying.

The natives here are prone to saying "Water is life." They mean it literally. People who live in places where it's plentiful tend to lose track of its importance.

It sounds like you remember.

I didn't like the lack of precipitation, but I don't think I could handle as much as the PNW gets. I like moderation. I get some rain and some sunshine where I am now. It is a nice mix.

But there is nothing moderate about SoCal. Too much heat, too many people, too much traffic, and too expensive to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back