2017 NaNoWriMo support thread

I'm on the verge of commitment. Four novellas and a short story. Plus a commission for a novel. I think I need to sign up for a bit more than 50k words.

50,000 is only the minimum. My first win I hit 50k with still four chapters left to go in the book. It ended up at 80k.

Good luck. Remember no harm no foul if you can't do it. And trust me, life can get in the way so very easily.

This year I'm writing several connected short stories. It's something I've always thought of doing.

Same characters in the majority of thrm.

very cool! You planning to release them here or publish them?

Remember that the NaNoWriMo challenge is really about yourself.

It doesn't matter WHAT you write. It doesn't matter HOW you write. It doesn't matter WHEN you write.

The only person who really knows that you won by writing 50,000 words is YOU.

If you can aim to write at least 2,000 words a day you'll have some slack for unexpected interruptions.

Remember that the NaNoWriMo challenge is really about yourself.

It doesn't matter WHAT you write. It doesn't matter HOW you write. It doesn't matter WHEN you write.

The only person who really knows that you won by writing 50,000 words is YOU.

If you can aim to write at least 2,000 words a day you'll have some slack for unexpected interruptions.

Statistically speaking you have to write 1,667 words a day to win. To some, that is very daunting, but remember not all days are created equal. On a good weekend I can bang out 10,000 words each day. Maybe for some Thanksgiving is a chance to get ahead.

As Ogg rightfully said, aim high early to give yourself some slack. Have momentum work for you, not against you.

Remember, it's "Wri" in the name not "Edi" or "Prf." You just write. No editing or proofing. That comes later.

Think of it like a model. You are getting all the clay on the table generally shaped now. You can add the details and fine tune next month. Even squish it down and start again.

One of the years I failed, I did get around 36,000 words out. You know what? I eventually sold those, so not a failure at all.

Happy writing; that's why we do this.

Statistically speaking you have to write 1,667 words a day to win. To some, that is very daunting, but remember not all days are created equal. On a good weekend I can bang out 10,000 words each day. Maybe for some Thanksgiving is a chance to get ahead.

As Ogg rightfully said, aim high early to give yourself some slack. Have momentum work for you, not against you.

Remember, it's "Wri" in the name not "Edi" or "Prf." You just write. No editing or proofing. That comes later.

Think of it like a model. You are getting all the clay on the table generally shaped now. You can add the details and fine tune next month. Even squish it down and start again.

One of the years I failed, I did get around 36,000 words out. You know what? I eventually sold those, so not a failure at all.

Happy writing; that's why we do this.

That doesn't work for everyone. I can't close a document full of errors knowing they'll stay there until the next month. In fact, I can't move on to another paragraph (or sentence) until I'm satisfied with the one I just finished.

That doesn't work for everyone. I can't close a document full of errors knowing they'll stay there until the next month. In fact, I can't move on to another paragraph (or sentence) until I'm satisfied with the one I just finished.

true enough.

I used to demand "perfect" copy instantly. I broke that habit out of need when I was dealing with many publishers simultaneously. I was going too slow.

Writers are creatures of habit and what works for some doesn't work for others. I know writers who still handwrite their first drafts.

To me, whatever works to get the job done is the way to go.

Thanks for keeping me honest _Lynn_

true enough.

I used to demand "perfect" copy instantly. I broke that habit out of need when I was dealing with many publishers simultaneously. I was going too slow.

Writers are creatures of habit and what works for some doesn't work for others. I know writers who still handwrite their first drafts.

To me, whatever works to get the job done is the way to go.

Thanks for keeping me honest _Lynn_

I've tried to break the perfect copy thing but then my OCD has a fit. I went with the quietest option. ;)

I've tried to break the perfect copy thing but then my OCD has a fit. I went with the quietest option. ;)

heh...as someone who plays loud, heavy beat music when I write, there is no quiet....:rolleyes:

heh...as someone who plays loud, heavy beat music when I write, there is no quiet....:rolleyes:

I play disco and other 1970s and early 1980s songs when I write, a throwback to when I would study in high school and college. It helps, well, at least me.

Fingers crossed. Work has told me that there shouldn't be anything happen like had in the previous two years: Last minute changes to reporting procedures, training of new programmers, and new assurers meddling in what we need to report to the state insurance agency.

I live in an apartment so the music can't be as loud as I prefer.

I own my house and my office is fairly in the middle of it, so I'm safe.
Sometimes I will hear slave_ yell "what the he'll are you listening to?" :D

I play disco and other 1970s and early 1980s songs when I write, a throwback to when I would study in high school and college. It helps, well, at least me.

Fingers crossed. Work has told me that there shouldn't be anything happen like had in the previous two years: Last minute changes to reporting procedures, training of new programmers, and new assurers meddling in what we need to report to the state insurance agency.

disco has a great beat for writing. I often play Earth Wind and Fire or Donna Summers when I write if not in a prog mood

I'll keep fingers crossed for you as well

disco has a great beat for writing. I often play Earth Wind and Fire or Donna Summers when I write if not in a prog mood

I'll keep fingers crossed for you as well

Thank you :)

ELO and Kansas were the best music when I needed to comprehend the book or story I was reading for English.

Earth Wind and Fire, the Brothers Johnson, Kool and the Gang, and other big time groups helped me get through Calc I-III and Differential Equations.

Currently, most sounds of the '70s helps me when I'm nerding, errr, working in my IT office. :eek:

I'm torn on whether or not to write erotica.

Thank you :)

ELO and Kansas were the best music when I needed to comprehend the book or story I was reading for English.

Earth Wind and Fire, the Brothers Johnson, Kool and the Gang, and other big time groups helped me get through Calc I-III and Differential Equations.

Currently, most sounds of the '70s helps me when I'm nerding, errr, working in my IT office. :eek:

I'm torn on whether or not to write erotica.

ELO, Kansas and Styx definitely. I think it is cool that all three put out great new albums this year

Also loved the Brothers Johnson and Kool and the Gang. Also loved Prince in all his various reincarnations.

I also found Heart and Led Zep had a great beat

Last edited:
ELO, Kansas and Styx definitely. I think it is cool that all three put out great new albums this year

Also loved the Brothers Johnson and Look and the Gang. Also loved Prince in all his various reincarnations.

I also found Heart and Led Zep had a great beat

I never could concentrate when "Kashmir" was on. Never could understand why.

:devil:

It's nice to see a Nano support thread here. I've done it every year since, well, almost the beginning. I've failed to make my minimum word count three times, I think. It does make a wonderful exercise simply because you "have" to get a certain amount of writing done on a regular basis to keep up. Although I've never gotten around to doing anything with my writing, the practice has been extremely useful and helped me develop a daily writing routine. I've written primarily romance type stories in the past, but this year I'm thinking I'll tackle something completely different, maybe more literary. We'll see. I still haven't quite made up my mind. But, then again, I have a whole week left to plan...

It's nice to see a Nano support thread here. I've done it every year since, well, almost the beginning. I've failed to make my minimum word count three times, I think. It does make a wonderful exercise simply because you "have" to get a certain amount of writing done on a regular basis to keep up. Although I've never gotten around to doing anything with my writing, the practice has been extremely useful and helped me develop a daily writing routine. I've written primarily romance type stories in the past, but this year I'm thinking I'll tackle something completely different, maybe more literary. We'll see. I still haven't quite made up my mind. But, then again, I have a whole week left to plan...

Hey lillianaZ welcome to Lit! Congrats on your NaNo wins! Have fun this year as well. Please keep us updated here on your progress. Have you thought about posting any stories here?

I don't do Nano for any other reason than it forces me to make time to write. Every year, by the time November rolls around, I'm totally out of the writing habit. I do Nano and I'm back in the daily routine until around July or so. Someday, I'll be disciplined enough to write every day regardless!

I am a long time Lit lurker so I have thought about posting various stories. (Quite a few times over the years actually, but I haven't written anything I felt was "unique" enough.) I keep writing though. It's possible I'll decide something is good enough, eventually!
lilli

Hey lillianaZ welcome to Lit! Congrats on your NaNo wins! Have fun this year as well. Please keep us updated here on your progress. Have you thought about posting any stories here?

Back