In/Out Board

Roxanne Appleby

Masterpiece
We need some kind of "In/Out" board around here.

Where's Shang?

How can Trinique still be without Internet? (Food, maybe, but not internet.)

Has Lady Jeanne really gone away?

Is someone I admire a lot and who recently won a contest but since has taken down her av taking a break, or has she concluded after some recent nastiness on another forum, "Who needs it?"

Others who are Missing-and-Unaccounted-for?

Anyone able to account for these? Should they be accounted for, or should a person have the choice to slip away for a while without notice? It would be nice if someone could at least say, "She's alive and OK" - no details required.

Two things:

#1: This idea has already been done, but anyway...

#2: When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of the Kevin Kline movie. :D

Aurora Black said:
Two things:

#1: This idea has already been done, but anyway...

#2: When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of the Kevin Kline movie. :D

As I recall, it faded slightly the first time too. It's a good idea, but requires too much organisation and planning ahead for it to really work out.

And I was with you on the Kevin Kline film.

The Earl

Roxanne Appleby said:
We need some kind of "In/Out" board around here.

Where's Shang?

How can Trinique still be without Internet? (Food, maybe, but not internet.)

Has Lady Jeanne really gone away?

Is someone I admire a lot and who recently won a contest but since has taken down her av taking a break, or has she concluded after some recent nastiness on another forum, "Who needs it?"

Others who are Missing-and-Unaccounted-for?

Anyone able to account for these? Should they be accounted for, or should a person have the choice to slip away for a while without notice? It would be nice if someone could at least say, "She's alive and OK" - no details required.

Shang is currently involved in some personal distractions that are eating up available free time. I hear from Shang fairly regularly, as I'm sure do others (I have no special connection there). So, Shanglan is missing only because there is much horsie life to be attended.

As for the others, unknown. I can offer no information.

What is always interesting to me is who comes up as "missing" and who can absent themselves without anyone taking notice. I ponder the particular social interactions of this (some one or two I know have had bitter feelings over realizing their presence was so unremarkable that their absense went unnoted.) Beyond the simple fact that some people make more of an impression over time and others do not, there are issues of expectations, and an assortment of other things. It's always interesting to watch.

One missing person, Evil Alpaca, I've been told is simply not interested in being here further. I've not seen anyone ask, though. It makes me wonder what people are absent that no one has noticed.

malachiteink said:
What is always interesting to me is who comes up as "missing" and who can absent themselves without anyone taking notice. I ponder the particular social interactions of this (some one or two I know have had bitter feelings over realizing their presence was so unremarkable that their absense went unnoted.) Beyond the simple fact that some people make more of an impression over time and others do not, there are issues of expectations, and an assortment of other things. It's always interesting to watch.
Yes, and that makes me uncomfortable. I would like to think that anyone who spends any time here has another person with whom they develop a certain connection, or at least who notices them. I fear that may not be true, though. If you've noticed that someone has gone missing please sound off, because it is a terrible thing to be invisible in a place where the only reason to come is to be visible.

Related, what would account for a person not achieving visibility? You know, it might be something relatively superficial, like a yawner of an Av. Av's are really quite powerful, I've discovered. A user name might also be implicated, or perhaps the interaction of av and user name. It's a funny thing, and it can have important consequences for good or ill.

I repeat my request above: Have you noticed anyone else who's missing? Please mention it here, or somewhere. If and when they come back, let's be able to say, "Oh yeah - so-and-so was asking about you, and we wondered . . ."

Last edited:
I've noted and mourned the alpaca's absence, but being aware that it's an active decision, I haven't said anything about it publically. I suspect that that is the case with many people's absences; much more is felt than is posted.

To be gone for a time and to be unhappy not to have been missed by the board in general seems to me a trifle odd. To be gone for a time is itself evidence that people do, now and then, choose to or need to put Lit on a back burner for a while. If one does it oneself, then surely one can't complain that others may have done the same? I try to keep touching bases with friends, and I rely on their generous patience while I get my life organized - but surely to the rest of the world I'm a passing ripple on the surface of the water. I'm content with that.

Thanks, Malachite, for the note. I am indeed wrapped rather tightly in daily life entanglements at the moment. Now and then I manage to get a leg free and flail about. :)

Shanglan

Roxanne Appleby said:
Yes, and that makes me uncomfortable. I would like to think that anyone who spends any time here has another person with whom they develop a certain connection, or at least who notices them. I fear that may not be true, though. If you've noticed that someone has gone missing please sound off, because it is a terrible thing to be invisible in a place where the only reason to come is to be visible.

Related, what would account for a person not achieving visibility? You know, it might be something relatively superficial, like a yawner of an Av. Av's are really quite powerful, I've discovered. A user name might also be implicated, or perhaps the interaction of av and user name. It's a funny thing, and it can have important consequences for good or ill.

I repeat my request above: Have you noticed anyone else who's missing? Please mention it here, or somewhere. If and when they come back, let's be able to say, "Oh yeah - so-and-so was asking about you, and we wondered . . ."

Your thoughts on visibility seem valid to me, or at least worth consideration. There are also those people who, for whatever reason, don't leave strong impressions because their interactions are brief, shallow, or not often seen.

One thing I do think notable. Many who go "missing" often aren't really concerned who notices or whether their presence or abscene makes a difference (why do I feel like I'm quoting Funny Face there?)

But in a place without faces or voices, a distintive, consistant avatar may be a deciding factor in being noticed. It isn't the relative "sexiness" of the avatar, as that seems to be confered by the personality attached, but the picture/personality combo have an affect.

There is something of a side effect to the whole thing

malachiteink said:
One thing I do think notable. Many who go "missing" often aren't really concerned who notices or whether their presence or abscene makes a difference (why do I feel like I'm quoting Funny Face there?)
I'm sure that's true, but we can't tell those who don't care from those who do, and even if they say they don't care they might not mean it, so I would rather "acknowledge them all, and let God sort them out." :rose:

Roxanne Appleby said:

That's an interesting question. I think you're right that AV's play a role in how people see a poster, and in how much attention that poster attracts. However, I'll put in a word for substance as well as style. Several times, now, I've heard from people who expressed unhappiness at a lack of response or notice, either from the board in general or from me personally. One or two I think were getting a fair bit of response; sometimes it's easy to forget the most of what everyone says here will get relatively little answer because there's just so much to keep up with.

But of those to whom I personally or the board in general really seemed to give little response, the answer inevitably seemed to me to be that they hadn't said much. In fact, on two occasions people who noted wistfully that I didn't seem to say much to them had never addressed a single comment directly to me in public or in private. I was very sorry to learn that I was a source of disappointment, but also very surprised, as I'd no idea that those people had taken the slightest notice of me. Ironically, I had assumed, as they had, that a person who had said nothing to or about me found the doings of a horse fairly uninteresting. Similarly, I've seen posters complain of a lack of response in posts that were, so far as I could tell, some of the only lengthy things they'd said. It's difficult to answer or respond to someone when you've only got a small amount of material to work with.

I think posting and response are online much like writing letters in the physical world. You must send them in order to receive them, and human nature and energy being what it is, you must usually send a fair few more than you hope to receive, as some of them will reach people who are glad to receive them, but whose daily lives will overwhelm their kindly impulse to respond. Many more people will enjoy letters than will write back to them; it's nothing to take personally. One is, of course, forgiven for writing more often to those who write back; it works best that way.

malachiteink said:

I would feel a bit odd announcing a departure. It would feel awfully me-go-tistical: "I am such a significant personage that the board at large must be alerted to my potential absence so that they may brace themselves for the wrenching loss of my ramblings." Ugh. I can't really bring myself to do it. I figure that I'll let you all enjoy the blessed respite in peace. ;)

Shanglan

Last edited:
I'm sure I saw Lady Jeanne posting just the other day....or is it longer ago than I think?

Also, I think people are missed and PMs and emails are sent to those individuals and the posts do crop up in various different threads as people are reminded of them.

Unfortunately, this is the internet and takes second place in our lives and sometimes it's just not possible to spend time here because real life just eats up all the time we have.

hopefully this thread will keep surfaced, you should ask folks to subscribe and give it a bump now and then :) It might help. :D

Og gives advance notice of a temporary absence.

I will be missing for part of September, sans internet, and on holiday.

I hope that people will continue the Halloween thread so that we have stories ready to post on Day 1 of the contest.

I need a holiday because I am feeling old, tired, creaky and disillusioned - no change there.

Best wishes to all Literoticians. Enjoy yourselves while I'm away.

Og

oggbashan said:
I will be missing for part of September, sans internet, and on holiday.

I hope that people will continue the Halloween thread so that we have stories ready to post on Day 1 of the contest.

I need a holiday because I am feeling old, tired, creaky and disillusioned - no change there.

Best wishes to all Literoticians. Enjoy yourselves while I'm away.

Og

Enjoy your holiday, Og. :)

The fool is shallow....wanders in and out without sequence or consequence..... :rolleyes:

The_Fool said:
The fool is shallow....wanders in and out without sequence or consequence..... :rolleyes:
The Fool is full of shit.

Oh! Excuse me - all this GB stuff here today has gone to my head.

What I meant to say is, while I don't know The Fool well, I see that he is admired and valued by people I admire and value, and cranks out some pretty meaningful verse from time to time.

Roxanne Appleby said:
The Fool is full of shit.

Oh! Excuse me - all this GB stuff here today has gone to my head.

What I meant to say is, while I don't know The Fool well, I see that he is admired and valued by people I admire and value, and cranks out some pretty meaningful verse from time to time.

No, you had it right the first time...... :D

I guess this is where I check back in. Long time no see folks.

Back