How much detail?

Jay321

Really Experienced
Joined
Aug 2, 2013
Posts
272
I have posted a couple stories and got mixed, but mainly good feedback. I have been writing to my own preferences as far as detail goes.

I prefer less detail describing the physical characteristics of the characters. This way I can inject more of my ideal partner and myself into the story.

The highly detailed description of the orgasm will get skipped as I read too because of all the different descriptions, none truly match my orgasm.

What is your preference? Why?

Thanks,
Jay

edited because I should proofread better before hitting submit
 
I have two story accounts, one is for flash fiction, the other is for much longer stories.

The longer stories are larded with scenic details. The shorter tales have few details.

With the newest stories I'm filling the grunt and grind space with trance-like experiences and song lyrics even. And fears. GOD DONT LET ME FART!
 
I have posted a couple stories and got mixed, but mainly good feedback. I have been writing to my own preferences as far as detail goes.

I prefer less detail describing the physical characteristics of the characters. This way I can inject more of my ideal partner and myself into the story.

The highly detailed description of the orgasm will get skipped as I read too because of all the different descriptions, none truly match my orgasm.

What is your preference? Why?

Thanks,
Jay

edited because I should proofread better before hitting submit

I favour your approach. when I'm reading I couldn't give a toss if a character has 36C breasts, what is important is the way other characters in the story feel about them. I want to allow the reader to use their imagination. A child once said to an interviewer that Radio was better than television because the pictures were better. I hold this to be true my imagination can always out do Hollywood. For me it is enough to know eye colour, hair colour, height and build and I can fill in the rest. Obviously if there is one thing that draws peoples attention to the character. you have to describe it.

In a story I have just finished one of the main characters has a gorgeous round bum but small tits. People pass comment on her arse so I have to give it a little description. She is self conscious about her lack of tits so I had to mention that early on. I favour the approach that less is more.

The favourite topics for the Bullshit generator are Cock size, breast size, staying power and MPH. These are subjects that I take with a pinch of salt in conversation and in stories.
 
I use pant size and top size to describe females. Size 12 pants, small top is a pear shape figure.

This morning I'm compiling physical and behavioral traits that identify specific personalities. Take Histrionic people, theyre liars for all intents and purposes. Nothing about them is sincere. Theyre bullshitters. They wear fake Rolex watches. They fill empty Heinz bottles with WalMart catsup. They have the most intense fake orgasms.
 
Just enough to tease the mind

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

A lot of stories I've read went into description overkill, trying to draw the author's Perfect Body idea. Without fail, it bugs me to the point of skipping down several paragraphs to avoid it. But to each their own, I don't care. It's not for me, I would rather have the basics stated so I can draw the picture in my mind.

One thing I have received thanks for (in person and emailed comments) is that the characters in almost all my stories have few details. Most real-life women have issues with their bodies, and if a lady can read my story without making her self-conscious, while at the same time exciting her, than it's a win in my mind. Unless it's a part of the storyline or a specific kink/fetish, I think it's a bad idea to make either gender feel bad about themselves. It kills the mood, and that isn't what erotica is supposed to do.

For example, (yes these need a lot of editing) I would rather write:
The lady wrapped her big breasts around his large throbbing cock, her firm freckled globes shining with oil and pre-cum as he stroked between them.

Instead of instead of insisting that:
Her perfectly round 36FFF all natural breasts pointed straight out at his 9-inch circumsised cock. Her inch-long nipples scraped his chisled thighs when he poured a cup of extra virgin olive oil across their organs. He watched his deep purple mushroomhead cock slide between her pornstar tits, digging to one side where his cock pointed 12 degrees to the right four inches down. Two tablespoons of precum mixed with the oil as it dripped down to her 24-inch waist.

I believe there is a fine line between giving the reader a good base image to work with, and forcing them to picture your fantasy body. All that being said, the author has control of how they write. They have the creative license to do as they wish knowing they can't please everyone all of the time. Write whatever feels best for you then see how your readers respond; feel free to let them guide your future work, or not.
 
"Her perfectly round 36FFF all natural breasts pointed straight out at his 9-inch circumsised cock. Her inch-long nipples scraped his chisled thighs when he poured a cup of extra virgin olive oil across their organs. He watched his deep purple mushroomhead cock slide between her pornstar tits, digging to one side where his cock pointed 12 degrees to the right four inches down. Two tablespoons of precum mixed with the oil as it dripped down to her 24-inch waist. "

ROTFL. This is perfect. I'm with DeYaKen. I always know it is coming, yet still cringe and mentally retreat when I see it. "She appreciatively fondled my 8 inch member." Seriously, 8 inches? Do people understand the concept of standard deviations? Congrats, Mr. Eight Inch, you are in the top .08%.

http://www.mraverage.com/results.htm

When I read "She was a perfect C-cup" or "Her 38 double D's could barely fit into the dress" my mind briefly gets out a measuring tape, which gets all twisted in my virtual hands and I give up.

If the words "inch" and "cup" were stricken from every sex story the world would be a better place.
 
If the words "inch" and "cup" were stricken from every sex story the world would be a better place.

Agreed with the caveat that if there's a reason within the plot of the story, that may work. Now, I don't know what exactly that would be... conversation? Who knows? But, there would need to be some sense of purpose to it beyond being the gratuitous detail that men are usually the ones to focus on more obsessively.

I like to give some description and some bits of details that make the characters seem to be their own people, not carbon copies of others in the story. Measurements? No. Words that give an idea of shape and appearance to convey how the person comes across, yes.

To me, it's more about evoking a feel to people and events. Technical detail, whether it be giving things like measurements or leaning too far into focus on the physical description of acts can get too ho-hum. Trying to capture an experience goes beyond measuring tapes or plain "he did this, she did that" description of action.

It's all about striking balance and not neglecting the idea of conveying a feeling rather than description.
 
I have always been told others like reading how much detail I use. That they really feel like its them in the story.
 
I have always been told others like reading how much detail I use. That they really feel like its them in the story.

No, its not your detail that's so good, its your clarity and directness. It seems detailed because its so 'out there in the open.'

Its a gift.
 
Some have said I am too wordy, but many have used the expression "Painting a vivid picture"

I feel I use a lot of detail, but have no desire to start "cutting" down.

There are plenty of one page strokers to go around for those that enjoy them.
 
Some have said I am too wordy, but many have used the expression "Painting a vivid picture"

I feel I use a lot of detail, but have no desire to start "cutting" down.

There are plenty of one page strokers to go around for those that enjoy them.

Your detail is good, so STFU.
 
Some have said I am too wordy, but many have used the expression "Painting a vivid picture"

I feel I use a lot of detail, but have no desire to start "cutting" down.

There are plenty of one page strokers to go around for those that enjoy them.

If you want an example of how to do it, read "Comfort of Strangers" by Ian McKewan

Only 100 pages but a complete story. The female lead is never described in detail, it's not important to the story. Her relationship with the leading man is important so it is described. The male lead is only vaguely described. features that play a part in the story are detailed but the fact that he was regarded as beautiful is all that is important. The story sucks you in and holds you there but you never even find out how tall the hero is.

If your story relies on the bra size of the woman or the actual size of a man's dick then put them in, if not leave them to the reader's imagination.

To me, "Maria's breasts thrust proudly out ensuring her tee shirt never touched her flat stomach." works better than"her 36dd breasts drew everyone's attention"

Whats important is the way other people in the story see them. I can see a time when it could blend in like:
Roger sat and studied her. "I reckon 38C what about you?"
"Nope those beauties are double D's at least."
"O.K. so which one of us is going to ask her?"

Unless it blends in to the story, quoting measurements makes it sound like an autopsy report.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top