Britwitch's Cottage

Britwitch

Classically curvy
Joined
Apr 23, 2004
Posts
23,086
If you wander from the main path through the woods, you may find yourself on a path less travelled.

tumblr_mjw7odiQTm1ra5knco6_1280.jpg

Passing through dappled sunlight and following gentle bends past a stream you’ll come to a small clearing that in the spring is painted with a carpet of bluebells.
On the edge of this clearing is my cottage…

tumblr_mjw7odiQTm1ra5knco1_1280.jpg

The kitchen is modest, as is the rest of the cottage, a large room downstairs that serves as kitchen, dining room, washroom and anything else that comes to mind, a single room upstairs beneath the sloping beams of the roof for the bedchamber.

The large fireplace in the kitchen warms the room quite nicely and even with my own modest attempt at fixing the strawed roof, the room is very comfortable even on the coldest of nights.

tumblr_mjw7odiQTm1ra5knco3_400.jpg

A large wooden table dominates the kitchen, with eight high backed chairs around it. Shelves filled with small jars and boxes are housed within a cabinet on one wall, shelves on another crammed with cooking pots and pans. There are small jugs with wildflowers on the windowsills and another on the table.
Outside the door is a large butt for catching rain water and further down the garden path is a small well for drinking water.

The garden is extensive and fairly well maintained, well stocked with my herbs and plenty of flowers. There is a small pond which at night twinkles with floating candles.
A bench lies hidden amongst the taller bushes, a place for relaxing in the warm summer shadows.

There’s almost always water boiling for a cup of tea, and I love visitors…

Come with questions or wishes, some call me a witch but more call me a friend…if I can help, I will do what I can…a chant or a spell…or just a friendly ear…or a cuddle beneath the rafters listening to the rain outside...

Welcome and blessed be!
:rose:
 
Last edited:
My thinking place isn’t far from my cottage, as well as being a delightful place to swim, its tranquillity aids my mind and brings inspiration…

I leave my ideas here upon the sandy shore, to soak up the fresh air and see what they grow into…

tumblr_mjw7odiQTm1ra5knco4_1280.jpg

Feel free to stop by and dip your toes in the gently flowing stream, the waters aren’t mine, I merely borrow them from time to time…

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*​

Some of my current ideas...

Behind Enemy Lines

18th October, 1941

On a beach on Britain’s southern coast British SOE, Jemima Collington, is preparing to go into occupied France on a mission of the utmost importance, for both her and England. A fellow agent is missing, presumed captured, and she has been given the task of either finding and rescuing him, or picking up where he left off should the worst have happened. The missing agent, Michael Graves, is not only a highly skilled and valuable agent, he is also engaged to Jemima.

As she prepares to board the boat that will try to sneak her onto French soil under the cover of darkness, another rescue attempt is being planned on the other side of the channel. The French resistance, based in Bray (a small village, NW of Arras, close to the railway and river) and led by Yvonne Petit, a passionate young woman who joined the cause after both of her parents were killed by the Nazi’s for sheltering POWs, are about to try to rescue the British agent, Graves, who has been working with them for the last year.

Yvonne wants nothing more than to see the regime that has overrun her country overturned but she has another desire on her mind as she and her fellow resistance members sneak through the countryside. Michael has not only been helping her and the resistance gather reconnaissance about the local German ‘authorities’, he has also been her lover. She knows nothing of his life in England but has found kinship with the charismatic Englishman and truly believes herself to be in love with him, as she believes he is with her.

Inside the German headquarters, based within a former French stately home/chateau on the outskirts of Arras, the commander in chief is informing his men of their orders. They have received word of an attempted ‘rescue’ being planned by the resistance thanks to their own spies in the neighbourhood and he would like nothing better than to be able to announce to Berlin the capture of a French Resistance member to accompany the news of his highly prized British prisoner.
 
Last edited:
Wanders down the path, smiling glad to be back in my element. I knock on the door frame and ease the door open.

"This place is wonderful Britwitch. I hope you don't mind having me as your first visitor, but a cup of tea is just what I need right now, so I thought I'd say hello."
 
Not at all, I'm just glad you found your way here :)
Do take a seat...any preference on tea variety? I have a few to choose from...
*waves with a smile towards the row of at least twenty small jars filled with tea leaves, each with it's own hand written label*
 
"That is impressive. I don't have any favorites, but I usually like something with mint in it."

I wander in and take a seat at the table continuing to look around.

"Was this inspired by someplace you've been or just someplace you'd always wanted?"
 
Then mint you shall have...

*opens the appropriate jar and takes out a few leaves to put into a small tea pot, carefully pouring on hot water and leaving it to steep for a few minutes*

A little of both I think, something similar to where I hope one day hope to live and reminiscent of cottages I stayed in as a child...plus we witches usually live out in the woods now don't we...?

*winks as she offers a plate of freshly baked honey cookies*
 
Takes a cookie and takes a bite out of it. I end up finishing the entire cookie before opening my mouth to talk again.

"I thought I heard something about not taking sweets from witches you meet out in the woods, but I must have been wrong. These are delicious."

Catches a glimpse of what could have been Vail in the trees. "Hello?"
 
Is there any place for a paying guest? I could help with the upkeep too.

Sniffs the delicious aroma of the mint tea and wonders if there is any to share
 
I may be a witch but I'm not wicked...

*grins as she lowers her voice*

well...not all the time...!

*looks out of the open doorway with a slightly different smile curving her lips*

Am sure she'll come in when she's ready...
 
Is there any place for a paying guest? I could help with the upkeep too.

Sniffs the delicious aroma of the mint tea and wonders if there is any to share

Hello, always nice to meet a new friend...

*offers a cookie*

...there's plenty of tea to go around but sadly no room for paying guests yet...maybe one day I'll convert the hut at the end of the garden, for now all I can offer is tea, home baking and the odd bit of witchy advice when asked for...
 
"Occasional wickedness is a good kind of wickedness."

I take another cookie off the plate and continue munching.
 
I like to think so

*pours the tea and pushes a small jar of honey over for sweetening before taking a cookie for herself*

So, what are you up to this fine day? Passing by en route to somewhere or passing time here among the trees...?
 
Hello, always nice to meet a new friend...

*offers a cookie*

...there's plenty of tea to go around but sadly no room for paying guests yet...maybe one day I'll convert the hut at the end of the garden, for now all I can offer is tea, home baking and the odd bit of witchy advice when asked for...

Accepts the cookie and the tea gratefully

Thank you ...lovely cookies.. Living all by yourself here must be kinda lonely isn't it? Anyone visit here often or pass by?

Peers out of the window and looks up the tree at Vails closed thighs hoping to see more
 
Blows on the tea a bit before taking a drink.

"I don't know. I seem to rarely know why I am where I am these days, but its been working out so far so I try not to question it too much. I will say that I often prefer being out in the great outdoors to being cooped up though, even if I don't get to do it as often as I used to."
 
You two are my first visitors...but I'm hoping people will stop by now and again...

*smiles as she sits back in her chair slightly with a sigh*

And it's far from lonely, it's peaceful and wonderful, I have time to think...I love it!
 
"I don't know. I seem to rarely know why I am where I am these days, but its been working out so far so I try not to question it too much. I will say that I often prefer being out in the great outdoors to being cooped up though, even if I don't get to do it as often as I used to."

There doesn't have to be a reason...sometimes our feet take us to where we 'should' be without our knowing...

*sips her own tea, cinnamon sweetened with honey*

...but I know what you mean, I love the towns and cities but out here is where I feel most at ease...
 
"The stars are the biggest thing I miss I think. Even on a clear night you can hardly see any where I live. It sucks. Honestly if I thought I could rely on the right company I would have no problem with keeping an out of the way place like this as a home."
 
"The stars are the biggest thing I miss I think. Even on a clear night you can hardly see any where I live. It sucks. Honestly if I thought I could rely on the right company I would have no problem with keeping an out of the way place like this as a home."

Well you're welcome to come here and star gaze whenever the skies are clear, nothing better than lying out in the clearing, amongst the fragrant grass, and looking up through the trees to the blanket of stars up above...
 
Looks out through the window into the now darkening wood and wonders if it is too late to go back or whether there is room to stay for the night.

It is beautiful here. Would be lovely to spend a night here in your lovely cottage and listen to the silence of the night. Would it be ok to stay over? I can rush back if you think otherwise.

Makes quick mental calculation to time travel back to the city
 
It is beautiful here. Would be lovely to spend a night here in your lovely cottage and listen to the silence of the night. Would it be ok to stay over? I can rush back if you think otherwise.

I think tonight I'd like to stay here alone...I haven't sorted out anywhere for guests to stay yet, but another night you'll be more than welcome...

*smiles*

...besides, as it's my first, I think I may have visitors throughout the night, doubt it'd be very peaceful for you!
 
Seeing witch busy dealing with the other guest showing him around, I gather it is time for me to say bye for the moment and think of returning back for a more detailed observation of the surroundings and the witch herself at a more opportune time.

With that I say "take good care, thanks for the lovely hospitality and hope to come back here again" and walks out the door and turns and disappears ssshhhhhhhhhhh timetravelling back into civilization.
 
Well, think I’ll take a stroll, get some fresh air…back in a little while…

*pulls a shawl around her shoulders before heading out of the door with basket in hand should she discover any berries or flowers on the way, leaving the plate of honey cookies on the table with a little note that reads

‘Help yourself to cookies, if the water is still hot you're welcome to take tea too…!’

should anyone stop by the cottage while she’s out*
 
*comes back from a lovely long walk through the autumn air, leaves are starting to change colour and there's a refreshing bite in the air

empties her basket of the fallen apples she found in one of the clearings into the wash basin to rinse later before heading outside to fill a bucket from the well
*

...Tea I think, then some tidying up and arranging of things...

*fills the kettle and swings it over the fire to heat up while she sets about tidying the kitchen*
 
Back
Top