A Picture is Worth a Thousand FAWCs

I've read three so far.

Great job everyone!

By the way, I favored FAWCker as an author. Not sure why it doesn't show that, though.

I've read three so far.

Great job everyone!

By the way, I favored FAWCker as an author. Not sure why it doesn't show that, though.

No, it doesn't show, not in the Recent Activity tab on FAWCker's submission page. But if it works for you, cool.

Not much change overnight other than a handful of new comments. I'm not going to highlight any scores, views or votes, as doing so might encourage trolling. Besides, if anyone really wants to see those figures, they're readily available elsewhere.

I favorited FAWCer, no matter if it shows or not. The contest is pretty awesome and the writers are pretty awesome. And some great stories come outta here.

Is it just me but does Wallpaper and Booty hideaway seem to have switched titles? Maybe its just the way i read them that makes me think there was a tiny snafu there.tack it on as some commentators suggested.

Edited: I went to quote this and found i couldn't do it like other authors...

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean. Yesterday morning the whole list was reversed in the Chain Story hub. Is that what you mean?

Actually, I was mistaken. The last three stories have the most views and votes, but also some of the lowest scores.

I don't know how many readers use tags to find a story, but I think some of the stories with more views are tagged more specifically. I don't know that many readers look for a tag with a specific first name, for example. Female masturbation, on the other hand, would be a likely tag for a reader to choose. Just a thought, from my web design days. :cool:

I've had luck mixing very vague tags with very specific tags. Half and half, but sometimes vague or general tags do the trick, but I like to leave some specifics in case someone searches it later or something. Other than that, as a reader I usually don't use the tags to find stories. I can't really speculate how readers are using the tags for this contest. I can't really imagine a reader using too many of the given tags and winding up reading a FAWC entry, but there are tons of readers out there so my "imagining" isn't an indicator of anything.

This exercise showed me that some are using tags to find stories. That was sort of a surprise to me as I don't even know how to search by tag at Lit.

I often find tags irksome to apply because I often want to surprise but, in respect for the tag system and its goal, I don't think I can avoid honesty and comprehensiveness in the tagging.

This exercise showed me that some are using tags to find stories. That was sort of a surprise to me as I don't even know how to search by tag at Lit.

I often find tags irksome to apply because I often want to surprise but, in respect for the tag system and its goal, I don't think I can avoid honesty and comprehensiveness in the tagging.

I use tags to find stories. They come up on the first page of the mobile site. You can refine a search to a single story sometimes by selecting a combination of tags. Unfortunately, most authors don't tag with "well-written" or "you'll like this one". ;)

I've had luck mixing very vague tags with very specific tags. Half and half, but sometimes vague or general tags do the trick, but I like to leave some specifics in case someone searches it later or something. Other than that, as a reader I usually don't use the tags to find stories. I can't really speculate how readers are using the tags for this contest. I can't really imagine a reader using too many of the given tags and winding up reading a FAWC entry, but there are tons of readers out there so my "imagining" isn't an indicator of anything.

I base the way I use tags on posts I've seen in the Story Feedback forum looking for stories. For the most part, readers seem to pick up on the occupations or social situations of characters, so I try to work those into some of my tags.

Man I feel ya here. I've hammered out stories that just flowed from my fingertips like force lightning. Everything fell into place and I include some twist, or not even that, just a surprising piece or element that I know they won't pick up on till they read it and it jumps out and claws their face off.

Then I go to submit, and I'm tapping my fingers trying to figure out how to handle tags in a way that doesn't keep revealing several elements of my story. I want people who like those elements to be able to find that story, but I don't want someone to glance over at tags and instantly have a brief summary of certain things that will happen.

Oh well. All I can do is try to write it the best way I can to still claw faces and provide enjoyment. But I feel ya.

I find it useful to examine the covers of old fuck books for the lures the editors used to sell their wares. Some sold millions at a time when fuck books were illegal in many states.

Half the battle is a good story, the other half is marketing.

EVERY DAY SHE MADE HAPPY HOUR LAST TILL DAWN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phew.

Read all of em now. When I saw Tx's pic, I was kinda "meh" about it. I could see possibly bikinis and sandy asses dancing in my head, and a possible idea for one of my own stories for the pic (which sucked, wouldn't have held a candle here I think) so I didn't know what to expect from you FAWCers.

Man I was FAWCing surprised. That picture was used in such a variety of ways, I felt like I was reading completely new and fresh stories each time. Every one was pretty original, and it's pretty amazing to see the plots that erupted from a picture of a chick in clear water, a dude sitting in a chair and a fancy resort bungalow.

It wasn't what I expected, and that's a good thing. So great job to everyone involved.

I still don't have any speculations as to who wrote what, and I'll wait on any of that until after the contest.

My votes are all in, and my long ass comments are there too. Those are just the opinions of some guy though, so don't be discouraged if I was a bit critical. We like constructive critics... r-right?

Great job everyone.

I find it useful to examine the covers of old fuck books for the lures the editors used to sell their wares. Some sold millions at a time when fuck books were illegal in many states.

Half the battle is a good story, the other half is marketing.

EVERY DAY SHE MADE HAPPY HOUR LAST TILL DAWN.

The cover symbolism that publishers use to telegraph genre haven't changed from that time. It's been watered down a bit by self-publishers who didn't know there were cover conventions to identify genres.

For LC's benefit, I'll note that the "Shades of Grey" books broke convention (but not wholly--the darkness of the content was conveyed conventionally)--successfully. This was a case where the cover didn't matter much--the readers were looking for the books by title.

Incidentally, one of my publishers has suggested that he let us publish the FAWC3 stories as an anthology with the image as a cover, but I thought it would be difficult to get everyone to agree to a book where a royalty split would be too much trouble if they didn't just want to donate what little profit there would be to some charity and I don't know if TxRad got the image from someplace where it could be purchased for a cover.

Last edited:
I've read them all now, too! What an interesting variety of stories! Nicely done, everyone.

The cover symbolism that publishers use to telegraph genre haven't changed from that time. It's been watered down a bit by self-publishers who didn't know there were cover conventions to identify genres.

For LC's benefit, I'll note that the "Shades of Grey" books broke convention (but not wholly--the darkness of the content was conveyed conventionally)--successfully. This was a case where the cover didn't matter much--the readers were looking for the books by title.

Incidentally, one of my publishers has suggested that he let us publish the FAWC3 stories as an anthology with the image as a cover, but I thought it would be difficult to get everyone to agree to a book where a royalty split would be too much trouble if they didn't just want to donate what little profit there would be to some charity and I don't know if TxRad got the image from someplace where it could be purchased for a cover.

its a good idea.

Phew.

Read all of em now. When I saw Tx's pic, I was kinda "meh" about it. I could see possibly bikinis and sandy asses dancing in my head, and a possible idea for one of my own stories for the pic (which sucked, wouldn't have held a candle here I think) so I didn't know what to expect from you FAWCers.

Man I was FAWCing surprised. That picture was used in such a variety of ways, I felt like I was reading completely new and fresh stories each time. Every one was pretty original, and it's pretty amazing to see the plots that erupted from a picture of a chick in clear water, a dude sitting in a chair and a fancy resort bungalow.

It wasn't what I expected, and that's a good thing. So great job to everyone involved.

I still don't have any speculations as to who wrote what, and I'll wait on any of that until after the contest.

My votes are all in, and my long ass comments are there too. Those are just the opinions of some guy though, so don't be discouraged if I was a bit critical. We like constructive critics... r-right?

Great job everyone.

And even after all that, I still have three different takes on the picture that were not used. :D

I went back to my source and as far as I can tell there is no copyright on the picture. From what I could find out, it was used on a postcard or some limited advertising back in the mid 60's.

And even after all that, I still have three different takes on the picture that were not used. :D

You, sir, were quite... devious? Clever? Original? Insane? Genius? ...for picking that particular image. It produced some unexpected ideas from some of our crafty minds here.

You, sir, were quite... devious? Clever? Original? Insane? Genius? ...for picking that particular image. It produced some unexpected ideas from some of our crafty minds here.

We have an exceptional bunch here but sometimes ya have to throw them a curve to make them really think. ;)

Not sure what you mean. Yesterday morning the whole list was reversed in the Chain Story hub. Is that what you mean?

I thought that the story, Booty Hideaway, seemed to have the theme of a wallpaper that was the artwork of this picture. Yet teh Story named wall paper did not seem to have that theme running through it. But maybe it was just me as noone else seemed to notice.

I thought that the story, Booty Hideaway, seemed to have the theme of a wallpaper that was the artwork of this picture. Yet teh Story named wall paper did not seem to have that theme running through it. But maybe it was just me as noone else seemed to notice.

Ah, I see. I can see why you'd think that. Other than that "Booty" seems to be an intention pun for the story it's used on.

The picture is a promotional picture about Club Med Kani in the Maldives. It is of the concierge building for the VIP Suites on Stilts. It can be found on about a hundred travel websites. I don't know if Club Med would have a problem with using it but someone would have to check.

I'd have no issue with an anthology, and don't care about any royalties, it could be donated or whatever. I like the idea, personally. I'd hope we could get a nice edit in before hand. Mine is really rough.

As for tags, I'm doing another of my How-tos on the subject. Go to the little known tags.literotica.com to see the tag cloud, tags by category, and to search by tags. A few hours spent there is great to understand how people are using and searching on tags.

The picture is a promotional picture about Club Med Kani in the Maldives. It is of the concierge building for the VIP Suites on Stilts. It can be found on about a hundred travel websites. I don't know if Club Med would have a problem with using it but someone would have to check.

I'd have no issue with an anthology, and don't care about any royalties, it could be donated or whatever. I like the idea, personally. I'd hope we could get a nice edit in before hand. Mine is really rough.

As for tags, I'm doing another of my How-tos on the subject. Go to the little known tags.literotica.com to see the tag cloud, tags by category, and to search by tags. A few hours spent there is great to understand how people are using and searching on tags.

Thanks for the update TTT. I knew I'd seen it before but could not remember where. Duh.... My travel agents office. :rolleyes:

I got the copy I have off Tumblr. It's lived in my plot bunny folder for many years.

Back