Amazon Warriors strip and beat illegal loggers and then set their shit on fire

Good on them. Humanity's greed is going to be its downfall.

Oh yeah, I read about that.

609375.jpg

Bad ass.....I wish I could send them weapons and supplies for them to defend their home without landing myself in a world of fuckn' grief over it.

They've lived for generations in the Amazon rain forest, I'm guessing they have a few thoughts about living a rough life.

You'd be sorely mistaken cat in glasses. Ask the generations of American Indians if years of competing with angry cats, poisonous snakes and the elements is anything compared to an organized government seeking to wipe you out. Given how their numbers plummeted over the last say four undred years I'd say they didn't know a goddamn thing about a rough life.

The advantage here is lots and lots of photographs and an international community that may (but usually doesn't) step in with something a little firmer than a stern wagging of the finger. Just maybe.

You'd be sorely mistaken cat in glasses. Ask the generations of American Indians if years of competing with angry cats, poisonous snakes and the elements is anything compared to an organized government seeking to wipe you out. Given how their numbers plummeted over the last say four undred years I'd say they didn't know a goddamn thing about a rough life.

The advantage here is lots and lots of photographs and an international community that may (but usually doesn't) step in with something a little firmer than a stern wagging of the finger. Just maybe.

Looks to me like the government is already more than willing to outsource the job of policing the territory to these tribes. The loggers can consider themselves duly warned.

What the loggers are doing is illegal. The government isn't siding with them against the natives.

Except, that's not what's happening. The government is sitting on it's hands, but technically, is on the side of the tribe.

Looks to me like the government is already more than willing to outsource the job of policing the territory to these tribes. The loggers can consider themselves duly warned.

Tired of what they say is a lack of sufficient government assistance in keeping loggers off their land, the Ka'apor people, who along with four other tribes are the legal inhabitants and caretakers of the territory, have sent their warriors out to expel all loggers they find and set up monitoring camps.

You read this as government outsourcing and not these people have petitioned the government, probably repeatedly and have not gotten the results they think are adequate?

What the loggers are doing is illegal. The government isn't siding with them against the natives.

Unless I read the article wrong the government is largely turning a blind eye. That's why the Amazon Warriors did this. They felt the help they were getting was insufficient. I doubt their government is ultimately any different from ours, an industry that brings in millions or billions of dollars in revenue and employs people has to do something pretty fucking shitty to get in trouble. We'll see what the next move is.

A long-standing territorial battle between Brazilian Indians and illegal loggers turned on its head in late August as several members of the Amazonian tribe Ka’poor Indians decided to take matters into their own hands and expel several illegal loggers from the Alto Turiacu Territory in the northeast Maranho state region of the rainforest. In the past, several Indians have been attacked by illegal loggers. No longer pleased with or willing to wait on the Brazilian government’s assistance, a small army of Ka’poor Indians banded together. And like in a scene out of a revenge flick, armed with guns and bows and arrows, they descended on several illegal loggers in the forest, burning their trucks and tractors. Any loggers who resisted were immediately forced to strip and were beaten in a humiliating display. Photographer Lunae Parracho was asked to join the expedition and captured the events.

But this is not just a story of a vigilante group of disgruntled Indians going after loggers at random. In the past year, several attempts by various Indian groups to force the loggers off their land with help from the Brazilian government have been futile, for reasons that include the army’s fear of the loggers or just not wanting to venture too deeply into the rainforest. Members of other Indian groups including the Gurupi and the Munduruku all share stories of being attacked by loggers along their respective borders, or having had their villages, elders, and animals attacked at random. In addition, a fear of losing the resources the forest provides drove the Ka’poor Indians to reclaim their land, despite any potential repercussions by the loggers and the logging industry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...al-fight-with-loggers-over-brazil-rainforest/

Except, that's not what's happening. The government is sitting on it's hands, but technically, is on the side of the tribe.

For how long do you think and how much will they sit on their hands if the loggers start, by necessity, arming themselves when they go on these trips? Unless you think this is the end of things I would think it's worth looking at the likely ways it'll play out. I know what I would do if I were those loggers. I'd start engineering "self defense" situations that just happened to turn out real bad for the natives.

Do you think their government is purer than ours? I don't even mean back in the day, I mean today. If the residents of some city started attacking some oil or gas company for tainting their lands after getting insufficient aid in stopping them and/or compensation afterward I wouldn't exactly bet on the government being on their side.

For how long do you think and how much will they sit on their hands if the loggers start, by necessity, arming themselves when they go on these trips? Unless you think this is the end of things I would think it's worth looking at the likely ways it'll play out. I know what I would do if I were those loggers. I'd start engineering "self defense" situations that just happened to turn out real bad for the natives.

Do you think their government is purer than ours? I don't even mean back in the day, I mean today. If the residents of some city started attacking some oil or gas company for tainting their lands after getting insufficient aid in stopping them and/or compensation afterward I wouldn't exactly bet on the government being on their side.

There's a point where this becomes more trouble than it's worth for them, and I assume that's what the tribes are counting on, now that the loggers know their illegal actions will be resisted. I know these loggers are cogs in a machine themselves -- those who were beaten aren't the tycoons backing them, but people who are just trying to eat a decent meal every night -- but if it gets to the point where you need to raise a private army just to get to the job site, you might want to think about trying something less stressful.

There's a point where this becomes more trouble than it's worth for them, and I assume that's what the tribes are counting on, now that the loggers know their illegal actions will be resisted. I know these loggers are cogs in a machine themselves -- those who were beaten aren't the tycoons backing them, but people who are just trying to eat a decent meal every night -- but if it gets to the point where you need to raise a private army just to get to the job site, you might want to think about trying something less stressful.

I hope that you turn out to be right and that they achieve their goal. I just wouldn't personally be making any long term bets with that in mind ya know? Logging is a big business and South America one of the last major places you can do it. And a lot of logging is really so farmers have more room to farm and I highly doubt the dirt poor farmers give two shits about the dirt poor Amazons. Again it's not like we haven't seen this game played out in history before.

The cameraman was a true stroke of genius. And make no mistake, their backs are against the wall. Their way of life is threatened. My sympathy goes out to them.

However in the long run the Borg always win and you will be assimilated. You can fight and die if that's really your preference but you will lose. I mean I guess (if you've never been) to the Middle East you could point and say they've managed to resist the 21st century, but they've certainly not avoided 1970. They have McDonalds and Pizza Hut, DVD vendors and love their trucks.

Back