A Minoan Adventure ( closed for DeathsKnight)

He returned his gaze to her, again he felt sorry for her, but it was either this way or dead or even worse, raped on the beach and then taken here on the ship as well. She really had rotten luck it seemed to him.

"Just act normally. You are a smart woman, if you were not we would not be speaking Greek. Since you will most probably end up as a house slave, you will be stood on the auctioning stage in a typical Greek gown."

He gave her a small smirk,

"The gown you despise. I could perhaps give you your old dress back when we make port? It is a bit shorter now so people will see more."

He reached out to pat her shoulder,

"Just a joke. You will only be displayed and people will bid for you based on your beauty. House slaves are well-treated as they are not just slaves, the prettier they are the better your status in the eyes of other, you may even not be used for menial tasks,"

He glanced away and then back at her,

"I want to tell you more, but if you hear it, you may decide to run again."
 
As Tertius looked at me, I could see the felt sorry for me, this made me lift my eyebrow thinking, (How dare you feel sorry for me?, I won't have anyone feel sorry for me...never have and never will!) My chin went up as I listened to what he had to say to me. I interrupted him when he mentioned my dress,

"Yes, I would like my dress back...to remind me of where I come from...I never want to forget that I am and will always be Minoan."

I listened to the rest of his speech, it didn't tell me much but I didn't think he knew what really happened to his captives once they were sold. Still I was grateful for any kind of information I could get. I vowed to myself to keep my mouth shut, and ears open....and not to let my emotions get out of hand. No matter what happened I was still better off using my brains then just fighting anyone that came near me. ( I knew now ...fighting didn't get me anywhere with Tertius and if typical Greek men were anything like him....I was going to have to outwit them.)

When he finished speaking he turned his head away in thought before turning back again,

"I want to tell you more, but if you hear it, you may decide to run again."

His words surprised me, I blinked a few times walked over to the rail and looked out to ocean. When I turned around I felt very calm, (OK...I need to know all that he knows, I will calmly talk this out with him now.) I walked back to the helm stopping just a few feet away looking up at Tertius I said,

"Look Tertius, let us make a bargain now. If you will tell me all you know...and I mean including what you just hinted at, I promise not to run away....while in your hands. What happens after I am taken to the auction house, will not be on your head. You will have been paid for me....so will
you tell me what I need to know? I give you my word of honour....do we have a deal?
 
He stared at her for a few moments, gauging her words against what he had figured out about her and he knew that he could trust her as much as he could trust any of the crew...even less to be honest, at least they had his back in a fight.

"Your word of honor...I'll take your deal."

Of course he didn't, but if she thought that he did she may not try to drown herself once she saw land.

"It is now the festival of Poseidon, during this festival fourteen families are chosen, from these families seven young men and seven maidens are chosen and gave to King Minos as sacrifice. Several times in the past men have bought slaves and sent them in the place of their own children."

He looked at her,

"That could be your fate as well."
 
At Tertius's talk of the Festival of Poseidon and the seven youths and seven maidens my heart begins to beat a little faster. My memory went back to some of the fabulous yearly celebrations that I was allowed to attend. I remember asking about the team of youths and maidens, where they were from and how they were trained. I was told they were chosen from important families from other countries that Crete held sway over. They were a part of the tribute that was sent to the Palace of Knossos annually along with many rare and costly items of gold and gems as well as exotic animals. King Minos was a very powerful King, ever increasing his empire over other lands.

As for the training of these young people, not much was known to the public, just that they lived in a special part of the palace, and trained many long hours to learn to "Dance with the Bulls" as many called the ritual. One thing I did remember hearing...the girls had to be maids...and were strictly watched. I never did learn why.

I brought my mind back to what Tertius was saying, something about at times slaves were sent in place of their children. This was indeed information that I would need to think over carefully. He looked at me paused and added,

"That could be your fate as well."

I knew it was the greatest honour to be chosen to train to be a "Bull Leaper", but I also knew it was a very dangerous honour, one that could and indeed did at times lead to death. I sighed knowing there was just the smallest of chances that I would ever be sent in place of a Greek girl, but it still made my heart beat faster just thinking about it. Dangerous as it was, it still was a way to get back to my beloved island.

I put these thoughts away for now, tilting my head to the side I replied,

"I don't know what my fate will be, it is up to the gods what happens to us, but that being said, I know that I do have some influence over my life. But tell me Tertius....will you miss me when I am sold?"
 
He could see that she had no idea what it meant to be sent to King Minos as a tribute, he wondered briefly if it was not better for her to not know...but he decided that she needed to know, she deserved to know. Her question caught him off guard and he blinked at her, then he gave her a small smile,

"I am sure I will. You are the first woman to actually talk to me for long periods of time."

His face grew serious,

"Tierra listen carefully, to be sent to King Minos in exchange of a daughter is a death sentence. It is a sacrifice given to try and placate the gods after the king tried to trick Poseidon."

He glanced around, then back at her,

"King Minos prayed for an animal that would be suitable as an offer to Poseidon, Poseidon gave him a bull, the bull was so beautiful and perfect that the king did not wish to kill it, so he offered a lesser animal in the bull's stead. This angered Poseidon and he caused the queen to become enamored with the bull, she managed to couple with it and a beast was born from this coupling. A man with the head and shoulders of a bull, it is a meat eater and the king had it locked inside of a labirynth."

He paused,

"The fourteen men and women are sent into the labirynth as offering to this beast and to try and placate the gods. It is called the Minotaur."
 
I listened to what Tertius told me, frowning as he went on about sacrifices and so on. He didn't know how our people worshipped our gods, he was only a Greek. He had never attended the yearly celebrations, watched the bull leaping, or the people drinking and singing. Of course I had been told of the famous legend of the Minotaur and how he came to be. But he had it wrong, yes the Minotaur was kept in the labyrinth but my father had told me he was given the blood of sacrificed sheep and of course the god's portion of it too. I waited until he finished talking, then in anger I hissed,

"Tertius you have it wrong, my father and all our household servants told me humans are not sacrificed to the Minotaur...maybe in ancient times, but not for many many years. We are a civilized people now...unlike you Greeks. We have great artists, sculptors and builders, if you only could see how we live, in peace and plenty. We even have running water."

I paused crying,

"I have seen these youths you speak of, they are taken to the arena, there are thousands of people come to see them "Dance with the Bulls". So tell me how can they be sacrificed and be at the arena leaping over the bulls? You are wrong, I tell you all wrong about my people. King Minos is a good and gentle king."

But something inside of me...made me look at him, he had planted a seed of doubt...that made me angry....I lost my temper now running up to him pounding on his chest shouting,

"Your wrong, your wrong...my people would never do such things, we only know peace and prosperity....beautiful art,.. music."

He held my wrists, finally worn out I laid my head on his chest whispering,

"Your wrong Tertius....I know you are."

But now I was remembering last year at the time of the celebrations, I had come into a room where my father was talking to some of his friends,...one had been very distraught....talking about a sacrifice and that he couldn't loose his only son...then they all stopped talking when I was noticed. I was never able to find out more. I looked up into Tertius' eyes trying to see if he was telling me the truth.
 
Last edited:
It seemed to him that after the first venting of her frustrations and of course fears, she calmed down enough, the other pirates had looked up from what they were doing, not sure what it was all about. He waited for them to return to their work and then he looked down at Tierra,

"I am not wrong. King Minos may be a kind and generous ruler, but he wronged the gods and now the price is human sacrifice. Not sheep or cattle or anything else, it is what I have told you. I have no need to lie to you. We are not barbarians as you think us to be, we just do certain things slightly different from you and this is one of them."

He reached up and slowly ran a hand over her hair in a soothing gesture,

"I doubt that it will befall you, but I thought that you need to know the dangers and prepare yourself sufficiently for it."

He sighed,

"Though I do not know how you prepare yourself for this."
 
I listened to what Tertius had to say, and now had no doubts that this human sacrifice took place. Not with what I had overheard last year as well. My body wouldn't stop shaking for long minutes, but finally I was able to get control of myself as he ran his hand over my head and hair. I closed my eyes for a second sighed and sat up. Biting my bottom lip I glanced thoughtfully at Tertius, and finally had to agree with him,

"Yes, I don't see how I can prepare myself for something like that, but I am grateful to you for telling me this. All I can do now is just hope that is not my fate....that the gods have something more in mind for me."

I looked down at myself wiped my eyes with a corner of my robe and said,

"I think I better get myself cleaned up...I have a lot to think about now....not that I can do anything about it, but I need to rethink some of the traditions that I have been brought up to believe in."

As I stood up I looked at Tertius for a moment, smiled faintly saying,

"Thank you for telling me this Tertius, truly thank you."

I turned making my way below deck to Tertius' cabin, once inside I shut the door and leaned on it. I just stood there for long minutes until finally shaking my head I said out loud,

"No...that will never happen to me, the gods have something better for me then to have my life end in a sacrifice. I just know they do."

With that thought I took a clean cloth dipped it in the wash basin and scrubbed all the traces of my outburst off my face. That felt a lot better, then I redid the braids in my hair and straightened out my robe. Looking around I realized that this had been a emotional day, I thought a short nap would make it all better. I lay down on the cot and was soon fast asleep.
 
Tertius finished his stint at the wheel and then when the helmsman took over once more he headed on to the deck, by now the sun was sinking over the ocean and food was served once more. He collected two bowls of food and headed downstairs, he found the cabin door unlocked and shook his head, seemed to him that Tierra didn't really learn from her experience it seemed. He placed her bowl down on the chest next to the head of the bed and sat down on the bed. As she startled awake he motioned to the bowl,

"Supper."
 
I was dreaming about running away from some men...they were sent by the priest to bring me back to the alter. I was to be sacrificed to the gods, I keep on running looking back the men were getting closer and closer. My legs didn't want to move anymore, I tried to scream but nothing would come out of my mouth. My legs moved slower and slower until they seemed like they were stuck to the ground. The men laughed as they came up to me and grabbed me by each arm and started to drag me back to the scared building...where the priests and the people waited to see me sacrificed.

I moaned in my sleep my eyes few open as I cried out loud...breathing rapidly I saw that Tertius was sitting on the cot at my side and I was back in his cabin. I sighed, it had just been a dream, a horrid dream but still just a dream. Tertius motioned to the small table and said,

"Supper"

I nodded my head at his words, sighed as I reached for the bowl, replying,

"Thanks Tertius I am famished, I didn't realize that it was that late, I thought I would just lay down for a short nap."

My hands trembled somewhat as I brought the spoon of food to my lips. I put it back into the bowl and took a deep breath, smiling up at Tertius,

"Just had a bad dream but will be fine in a few minutes."

I took the spoon again, this time my hand did not shake as I brought it to my mouth. After that we had our supper quietly, just enjoying the movement and sounds of the ship. I thought to myself, (I didn't realize this before, but I am starting to like being on a ship.) I looked over at my companion commenting,

"You know I think I am going to miss this ship when we reach land, I know...I know, I am just as surprised as you are. I never in a million years thought I would ever say that , but it's true in spite of what happened earlier today."

I spooned the last of my stew into my mouth then chuckled at Tertius' reaction to my words.
 
To say that he was surprised, was an understatement. She had been captured, brought unto the ship against her will, barely escaped an attempted rape and have heard that there is a possibility for her to end up as an offer to a bull-man. He smiled at her chuckle and took the empty bowl from her,

"Yes you are right, it is a surprise. Perhaps if one day you can be free then I can believe that I do not have to be a pirate."

He gave her another small smile,

"Perhaps even then I can be a sailor, take you back home."

He got to his feet and carried the bowls out to the washing barrels and dumped it there. On an impulse he returned back to his cabin and Tierra
 
I nodded my head as I listened to the words Tertius spoke,

"Yes you are right, it is a surprise. Perhaps if one day you can be free then I can believe that I do not have to be a pirate." smiled adding,

"Perhaps even then I can be a sailor, take you back home."

I wiped my mouth thoughtfully before commenting,

"Perhaps.....perhaps....we don't know what life will bring our way, who can know? Maybe we'll meet again in the far future...and you will be another person...and take me home again."

I watched him as he picked up the bowls and took them up on deck, I sighed, (that is a pretty unlikely dream.) I looked around the cabin wondering what to do now, then it occurred to me, (Since he didn't have any job for me just now, this would be just the time to get a proper clean up.) Checking the amount of water in the water pitcher, that was always on the small table, I smiled to myself, I was in luck, there was just enough water to do my entire body. Pouring it into the bowl that the pitcher had been sitting in, I next found the small bit of soap beside the pitcher. Now all I just needed a clean rag. I found one that would do nicely in the chest tucked in the corner with some other gear and clothes.

Going back to the cot, I undid the top half of my robe, letting it fall draping around my waist and legs. Dipping the cloth in the cool water I rubbed the soap on it before running it from my shoulder downwards to my wrist. I couldn't help but sigh, it felt good to get the sweat and grim off my skin. Suddenly I heard the door open, turning my head towards the doorway, I saw Tertius standing in the doorway.
 
He took in the sight before him, he had seen her breasts of course, not that her dress cover that when they met the first time, but her trim body was new to him and he had to admit that he really liked what he saw,

"Oh I am sorry...I will just...erm..."

With that he pullede the door close, only realized then that he was on the inside of the room, opened the door and slipped back out, closing the door behind him. He leaned against the door with his back and heaved a sigh
 
My eyes widened as I glanced at Tertius in the doorway, he looked surprised mumbling,

"Oh I am sorry...I will just...erm..."

Before shutting the door, with himself still inside, the way he tried to look away before grabbing the door and slipping out again, made me want to chuckle. I sighed hoping he wouldn't come back in just now. I wanted to finish cleaning myself up. It seemed like years...but I knew it was only a few days since I had, had a chance to feel clean..really clean.

After a few minutes I continued washing my upper body, glanced at the door and shrugged, (I suppose I won't be interrupted again.) Standing up, I quickly washed the rest of my body, trying to save as much clean water as I could. I hoped to be able to wash my hair as well.

Once I was done, I put on a clean robe that was in Tertius's trunk. Moving over to the basin again I now began pouring some of the water to wet my hair. In this manner I was able to wet all of my long hair. Using the last of the soap to lather it into a huge ball on the top of my head. It felt good to scrub it all clean, making my scalp tingle. When it was done I took the last of the clean water and slowly poured it over my head until all the soap was gone.

Squeezing as much of the water out of my hair, I found a clean piece of cloth and dried it as best as I could. Sitting on the cot, I finger combed my hair and let it dry on it's own now. Feeling like a new person, I decided to go up on deck to let the sea air finish drying my hair.

Once on deck I saw Tertius over on the west side of the ship, watching the sun set. I decided to go over and watch it with him.
 
He looked at Tierra as she came to stand next to him, she looked and smelled fresh, he could still see her lithe body in his mind's eye though. In a different world and a different circumtance he might have had a chance to try and woo her, but now she was a captured daughter of a fairly rich man and him a pirate.

"You look well-rested and clean, did you enjoy the bath?"

He purposefuly left out the incident of him walking in on her as she bathed herself.
 
Once I was by Tertius's side I leaned against the railings looking outward. We had a calm sea at the moment, I smiled as I saw some of those dolphins playing. I had to squint my eyes, since they were a fair distance away. I sighed and looked up at Tertius, he had been looking down at me but glanced back at the sea as he inquired,

"You look well-rested and clean, did you enjoy the bath?"

I watched his face for a few seconds before answering,

"Why yes I did, it's been a few days as you well know, since I have had the chance to get properly cleaned up. I guess I should thank you for giving me most of the day off."

I glanced back at the playing dolphins, just enjoying these rare moments. Finally I sighed turning around so I could look up at Tertius as I leaned against the railing. I had to have some answers,

"Tertius....can you tell me when we will be getting to land? I need to have some idea, this waiting is starting to make me crazy. I remember all that you have now told me, but you haven't given me a clue as to when...and when we do reach land, what to expect at the slave market. I just want to have some idea. Can you tell me?"

I waited as he continued to look seaward, hoping he would answer some of my questions. But by now I knew better then to push the man, so I turned around again and looked at the dolphins playing and hoped he would sooner of later speak.
 
"IF the wind holds and we do not come across any problems it should take us another three days."

He ran a hand through his hair,

"Which reminds me."

He looked around, spotted what he was looking for and returned with a carefully wrapped bundle,

"Your dress, I have found some thread that should suit the color and a needle, it has a few tears from you running into the ocean."

He gave her a small smile,

"I would advise you to not wear it on board though."
 
I listened as Tertius spoke of making land in just three more days. My heart beat a little faster at those words. I couldn't help blinking up at him as he ran his hand through his hair adding,

"Which reminds me."

He went off for a minute coming back with a wrapped bundle,

"Your dress, I have found some thread that should suit the color and a needle, it has a few tears from you running into the ocean."

With a surprised look I reached out and took the bundle that Tertius held out for me as he explained what it was. As well as advising me not to wear it on board. I nodded my head holding my dress to my chest.

"Thank you Tertius, this dress reminds me of home, I will certainly keep it safe. If you don't mind I will go below deck now and put it away."

Turning to go, I again nodded my head before making my way to the hatch. Once I was in his cabin, I shut the door and took my bundle to the cot. Sitting down I carefully unwrapped it, tears swelled in my eyes as I saw the colorful dress once again. Homesickness overwhelmed me, causing me to cry softly rocking back and forth with my dress held tightly against my chest. After awhile I stopped, feeling much better like a load had been taken off me. I straightened up, took the needle and thead and proceeded to mend the tears in the garment. Once finished I carefully re-wrapped it again and put it in a safe place.

It was getting near meal time now so I gave my face a quick splash of water and made my way back up the dark passageway that lead to the deck.
 
Back
Top