How to carry your Colt 1911 semi-auto pistol

Indeed, well said.

Personally, I don't carry a 1911, nothing wrong with those who do. It's a personal choice.. mine goes to carrying either a Beretta Px4 9mm, or a .357 (7 shot) snubby. Just depends... On any account, just train well, and if you need to use it, be ready to actually pull the trigger. If you can't know for sure you're ready for that decision, you shouldn't carry... that's really all there is to it.

A .357 7-shot snubby? Ouch. That must be quite the experience when shooting hot loads. What kind is it?

Has anyone heard of Glock rebates happening soon? I know there are rebates from Smith, Remington and Bushmaster.

Just curious.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

A .357 7-shot snubby? Ouch. That must be quite the experience when shooting hot loads. What kind is it?

That could not have sounded dirtier if you tried, OT.

Please excuse the wee hijack. I shall show myself out. :D

One of my Rugers has a very tight spring. When its placed in storage or safe keep the slide open. Do that for a few days then rack the slide. See if its any easier. I do that all the time and my Ruger loosened. It is still tight but much looser then when I bought it. I have arthritis in my hands so its now much easier to rack then before.

Ahh, I didn't think about leaving it with the slide open. Great idea. Thank you very much! I am going to try that for sure. :rose:

Yes, I'm going to try leaving the slide open for the same reason,...arthritis.

I too have arthritis.

I rotate the ones that I keep under my pillow with the ones in the safe.

All of the guns that are in the safe I leave the slide open (days / weeks / months) until I take them out

I too have arthritis.

I rotate the ones that I keep under my pillow with the ones in the safe.

All of the guns that are in the safe I leave the slide open (days / weeks / months) until I take them out

As a curious question: how much fuzz and lint do you find accumulates in the slide? From being under your pillow.

As a curious question: how much fuzz and lint do you find accumulates in the slide? From being under your pillow.

The slide is not open on the gun under my pillow. IF someone breaks in I do not want to think about the slide or anything else about the gun. I just want to survey the situation and if necessary point & shoot.

Slide is only open on the guns I have stored away.

To answer your question none.

Denny

It must be hell to live where you need a gun under your pillow. I get up and pee several times a nite and rotate my pillow each time. I'd end up shooting someone I love.
Do you also carry a gun to Walmart and DisneyWorld?

It must be hell to live where you need a gun under your pillow. I get up and pee several times a nite and rotate my pillow each time. I'd end up shooting someone I love.

I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to.

No, I am not a gun nut but I want to protect my family. If I had a crystal ball of what places to not go to then life would be that much easier.

FYI: I bought a gun a few days after the manager at a restaurant I go to often was SHOT and killed. I was there 2 days before the shooting. It very easily could have been me or my family.

Yes, I'm going to try leaving the slide open for the same reason,...arthritis.

I have certainly had to adjust my view due to my arthritis. I find that if I favor a specific model, finding it in a lower caliber can often make the handling more tolerable. IF, that is, we are talking about larger handguns. For pocket pistols, even smaller calibers can be amazingly stout due to the lightweight and small frames.

I would advise anyone looking for a lighter recoiling weapon to try as many as they can, even those that wouldn't ordinarily spring to mind. For example, the Ruger LCP II has very stout recoil for a .380, but for me the way the recoil is delivered is amazingly manageable, if not enjoyable. There will always be compromise, but I am sure answers can be found.

Originally Posted by LIVINRFANTASIES
"It must be hell to live where you need a gun under your pillow. I get up and pee several times a nite and rotate my pillow each time. I'd end up shooting someone I love.
Do you also carry a gun to Walmart and DisneyWorld?"

Thus speaks someone with little practical experience in handling firearms. I hear that phrase quite a bit, "I'd end up shooting someone I love." To me that speaks of fear of the responsibility required, and if you are uncomfortable, you may relax in that nobody is forcing you to do anything.

Um, have you ever been to Walmart at three in the morning?

To this I would say that it must be amazing for you to live in this world where nothing bad ever happens and there is no threat to anyone's existence. To the rest of us who don't live in a dream world, we choose to arm ourselves. Most people who do so diligently do so as a matter of culture. It's who we are. I carry my weapon every day, everywhere I go unless explicitly legally prohibited from doing so--then I just reevaluate whether I need to go there all that badly.

Walmart? Yes.
Movie theater? Yes.
Church? Yes
Hiking? Yes.
Dinner with the kids? Yes
Jogging? yes.

You see where this is going?

For the record, I don't keep my gun under my pillow. That's why the top of my nightstand is for.

If you choose to not arm yourself, that's your right. But you are in effect choosing to be a victim and make victims of those with you. If you come to this threat with a genuine curiosity, or interest in learning, myself and others would be more than happy to answer your questions and help you out.

If you just want to make hoplophobic, hand-wringing comments, get the fuck out. Go watch Cocoon or something.

Last edited:
To the rest of us who don't live in a dream world

If you just want to make hoplophobic, hand-wringing comments, get the fuck out. Go watch Cocoon or something.

You are doing wonders for the tourism industry - for every other country than the freak world you live in, which I strongly suspect is mostly in your own delusions.

As for:
But you are in effect choosing to be a victim and make victims of those with you.
well you are looking like a victim of your own paranoia. After puffing up your ego with your boasting and feeble attempt of aggressive posturing toward LIVINRFANTASIES I reckon you would pee yourself if you actually had to use your holstered phallic symbol and then make victims of innocent bystanders. You certainly present yourself as the type.

Quick - give it a squeeze.

You are doing wonders for the tourism industry - for every other country than the freak world you live in, which I strongly suspect is mostly in your own delusions.

As for:

well you are looking like a victim of your own paranoia. After puffing up your ego with your boasting and feeble attempt of aggressive posturing toward LIVINRFANTASIES I reckon you would pee yourself if you actually had to use your holstered phallic symbol and then make victims of innocent bystanders. You certainly present yourself as the type.

Quick - give it a squeeze.

I've read your previous posts and you're a troll, so fuck off. Go watch Cocoon with him and dog-ear copies of Psychology Today.

I've read your previous posts and you're a troll, so fuck off. Go watch Cocoon with him and dog-ear copies of Psychology Today.

Nicely stated.

If you are curious and want to discuss things courteously, you are more than welcome.

As for who would indulge in trollish baiting, you simply make yourself look like several things, none of which speak well of you.

Has anyone heard of Glock rebates happening soon? I know there are rebates from Smith, Remington and Bushmaster.

Just curious.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Rebates are now available for Walther PPK and PPQ.

Keeping the slide open on the Shield has helped. Thank you again!

Rebates are now available for Walther PPK and PPQ.

Goodness, I don't recall seeing rebates for a PPK in ages, if ever...I had a couple that wouldn't feed properly, never got them sorted to my satisfaction.

How much off?

Admitting that I am more likely to get hit by a meteorite than have to use a firearm to defend myself, I still keep a Sig P220 with 230 grain hollow points under my bed. It is in a push button safe in deference to having my granddaughter around occasionally.

I have a concealed license and a Ruger LC9s, but my wife goes batshit at the thought of me carrying in public. One must pick one's battles.

Admitting that I am more likely to get hit by a meteorite than have to use a firearm to defend myself, I still keep a Sig P220 with 230 grain hollow points under my bed. It is in a push button safe in deference to having my granddaughter around occasionally.

I have a concealed license and a Ruger LC9s, but my wife goes batshit at the thought of me carrying in public. One must pick one's battles.

Sorry to hear you have those battles in your life. As you say, in case of meteor strike, would she be then glad you don't have it and the bad guy did?

You're the husband. She's the wife. *Be* the husband and explain why you're going to carry. She'll get used to the idea.

Such a manly man

You're the husband. She's the wife. *Be* the husband and explain why you're going to carry. She'll get used to the idea.
Quoted to display how *Be* the idiot you are.

Good luck with your gun masturbation thing - it can only serve you alone pleasure. It sure as hell will never lift the spirits for anyone in your life.

Ultimatums often have the opposite effect than the one desired. ;)

Perhaps sitting her down and calmly explaining the reasoning, that he wants to defend her in case of the worst...

There are many many points of view, and only through communication and mutual respect can any progress really be made.

This doesn't seem very helpful. Many people have good reason for not owning/carrying guns. For me, I have a strict no gun policy in my place of residence. That's a decision that was made specifically with my own safety in mind.

I'm rather perturbed by the victim blaming language that was used in this thread earlier. That choosing to not own a gun is choosing to be a victim. Nobody chooses to be a victim. Owning a gun doesn't guarantee safety from harm. I'm ok with other people owning guns responsibly, but it is not something welcomed in my home/life and somebody trying to convince me that it is for my own good doesn't know me well enough to live with me.

Back