The Lady of Skye (closed)

"Will you send me away?" Rosie asked quietly, thinking that if she couldn't fit in there, he would send her somewhere that she would.
 
"Not unless you wanted to go somewhere and you had a suitable job waiting for you. I've never sent anyone away without the knowledge they would be alright." Matthias let the reins go and sat back a little further in the saddle.
 
"Maybe I'll talk to Ghell about helping with the children then." She said as he promised that he wouldn't send her away. "And I promise I'll find a place where I can live outside the keep."
 
"If you're working at the keep, you might as well live there," Matthias shrugged. "Almost all of our staff live on the grounds or just outside. We might find you an open little place on the grounds."
 
"I do admit that it's nice to have someone there to comfort me when I have nightmares, but I know it can't last." Rosie admitted, blushing red as she thought about the near nightly occurrence. "It makes me feel silly to know that I have terrors like a small child."
 
"Not like a child. Like a woman who's been through hell," Matthias murmured, wrapping a gentle arm around her. "It'll pass with time, dear. We just need to see you through."
 
Rosie was taken back when he wrapped his arm around her gently. She was unsure as to why he was treating her so nice, but it just seemed to be part of his quiet nature. It was nice to have someone who cared, but she just wasn't used to it.
 
As the horse wandered up to a hill before pausing to graze, Matthias gave Rosie a smile. "Relax, dear." Rosie had seen how sharp and serious he could be when it came to important matters of his isle, but also how gentle and easygoing he was with his nieces and nephews..
 
Rosie did relax as he continued to treat her with respect and gentle dignity. He didn't try and do anything to her. He didn't speak in harsh times or even demand that she work harder to get out of the keep. It seemed that the wolf had been right in picking Skye as the place that she would ultimately end up.
 
Matthias simply enjoyed the peace around them, slipping from the saddle after a while as the horse seemed content to stand and graze. Matthias looked over Portree in the distance, over the ships coming in and going out, the little fishing boats and the wagons moving along the coastal road. Riders came and went from the keep every so often, even the odd cart. Everything seemed to be running smoothly.

"I think you'll like it here," Matthias murmured, still looking down at the town. "The people are friendly, the fish keep us in food year round, and we have some good friends nearby that help us in troubled times if needed. We're even allied to the High Throne."
 
"So far, everyone has been kind. It's peaceful here." Rosie agreed as she looked over the city at Matthias's side. "I'm just afraid that I will outstay my welcome."
 
"Just do your best. No one can expect any more of you than that," Matthias murmured. "I won't leave you to the side to struggle, Rosie. I promise you that."
 
"You don't owe me anything." Rosie said, looking at Matthias as he swore he wouldn't leave her alone. "You don't know me. You have this entire city to run. Surely there are more important things in your life than some wayward woman."
 
"I have huge tasks, that's true. But one thing my father always taught me was that a life is far more precious than trade or coin. Making sure you can survive is more important to me than the day-to-day. As long as you try your best to find a place for yourself, I will help you."
 
"You're not the only one, dear," Matthias chuckled, smoothing his well-trimmed goatee. As he looked back to see her blush, he grinned. "It's alright to speak your mind around me."
 
"It might take some getting used to...this whole speaking my mind business." Rosie commented as she moved to take a seat in the grass, looking over Portree. "I can almost remember my mother. I think she was born into the place that I was rescued from. I don't remember what happened to her but she's been gone a long time."

Rosie's memories were fragmented and dim. Like paintings that were simply too dark to see much detail. She did not remember her father at all. Her mother had red hair just like she did. She spoke softly and was kind, but that was all she could remember.
 
"I think it's safe to say she'd be glad you made it here," Matthias murmured. "You're safe as long as House MacTavish has anything to say about it."
 
Rosie nodded as he said that, looking back over the city as a silence fell between them. When she finally broke it, she glanced over at Matthias.

"That woman with the children is your sister, right?" Rosie asked, piecing everything together. "She looks far too young to have that many children. They are sweet little boys and girls, but she looks as if a stiff breeze would blow her over at the best of times."
 
"Kitty is my younger sister, yes. She had the first, Durban, at seventeen. And yes, she is frail. It's an illness our father battles as well, but she has had the much harder time of it." While his tone was not unkind, it did let on to Rosie that Matthias had quite a bit of stress about the issue. "The children try to make it easier on her- they're incredibly well-behaved most of the time- but there's only so much that anyone can do. I'm afraid modern medicine simply can't compete with what Kitty struggles with."
 
"And her husband doesn't help with matters?" Rosie asked, watching as Matthias's face turned concerned with the subject of the conversation. "He likes to brood, even when the children try to get his attention. I've noticed that he watches her so closely, even when he thinks that no one is watching him. It seems so strange."
 
"Tamblin is... Troubling, to say the least. Without sharing too much of Kitty's business... Tamblin isn't exactly sane. He's been remarkably lucid here, hence how depressed he seems. But I do know that he loves Kitty. Perhaps too much. And he does care about the children but he has never wanted them to love him."
 
"How sad." Rosie said softly, thinking about the lovely little children that had done their best to make her feel welcome.
 
"Sad, but I'm afraid unfixable at this point. No solution seems to be good for everyone. And Kitty loves him still, even if he's killing her." Matthias sighed, shaking his head. "I'm sorry, it's a depressing subject."
 
"Sometimes we can help who we love." Rosie said softly as Matthias admitted that it was a depressing subject. "I don't think I've ever been in love but I can imagine that it's easy to make mistakes."
 
Back
Top