Submission Calls

bogusbrig said:
Think of me when you you pick up your laureate and have influence. :rose: and I'll tell everyone you really are a nice person, honest! as you shun the adoring fans from your door.

Cut that out! I've become convinced over the past few years that I'll ever be an award winner only in my mind. :cool:

I am a nice person--a little crazy sometimes--but ok. So are you (the nice part--maybe the crazy part, too). Your self-nomination in the awards forum--after your kudos to everyone else--is wonderful. I loved it. ;)

:rose:

Anna

I hardly know Anna and I am sure collecting all this information takes lots of effort and hard work. My post was not about her. It is that many times you see such crap getting published just because the poet is a known name or that he or she has some influence with the publishers and editors. Happens all the time. There is also the 'you scratch my back I'll scratch yours' thing going on. I saw it happen frequently in the top Haiku journals too. Editor of one journal will get published in another journal and vice versa.

The thing is that we should not to be satisfied with mediocre publications. Rather we should keep trying. And I can say with confidence, luck also plays a big part in such things, and that will only happen if you regularly submit work to top journals. You need to get published once, and then you are a known name.

And hello? No comments on the Haiku?

Zhuk said:
I hardly know Anna and I am sure collecting all this information takes lots of effort and hard work. My post was not about her. It is that many times you see such crap getting published just because the poet is a known name or that he or she has some influence with the publishers and editors. Happens all the time. There is also the 'you scratch my back I'll scratch yours' thing going on. I saw it happen frequently in the top Haiku journals too. Editor of one journal will get published in another journal and vice versa.

The thing is that we should not to be satisfied with mediocre publications. Rather we should keep trying. And I can say with confidence, luck also plays a big part in such things, and that will only happen if you regularly submit work to top journals. You need to get published once, and then you are a known name.

This haiku? It seems kind of long.

Haiku

yes and that is why I asked for help shorten it a bit. :)

Zhuk, thanks for your comment. I am glad you got to look through this thread, and I hope that you post the addresses and info about the journals/'zines that you would like to recommend. I agree with most of what you have to say, and have a few responses.

There are a zillion and one places to submit your poetry, and about as many reasons to want to. Not everyone has high aspirations or even wants to be in the academic journals with "high" standards, and the lack of such an ambition does not mean one has a general lack of ambition. One big misconception is that it is easy to publish on line. It takes a lot of hard work, organization and dedication. You have to want to do it. I personally enjoy the social aspect of publishing, getting a feel for the community of internet poets, who are some of the "best" writers out there, in my opinion.

I basically put links here to new zines that people might not have heard about yet and zines that are open to unpublished/minimally published writers, as I sense that most of us are in that boat. I also post calls for Erotic Poetry as this is litErotica and many people are here because they write erotic poetry. I sometimes post one because it reminds me of someone in particular. It is by no means intended to be an all inclusive or even representative list. I have posted links that have very extensive lists of on-line and print journals for that reason.

Having read through the thread again, I see you are right, most of them are not very "good" zines.

The thing about getting poetry published is that it is motivating. To shoot high all the time means you will probably get a very high rate of rejection which can be discouraging. Certainly a professional should be able to handle it. I have been rejected by some of the best, but I do not make it my one and only goal to be accepted into the main stream of poetry. If this is something that people are interested in, I will certainly post the more established venues for poetry, but as I said, there are links included here that take you to very extensive lists.

I too use Poet's Market, but sometimes it is excitingto be a part of something new!Sure it would be exciting to have something published in the New Yorker, or even the Pedastal, but there is something very energizing about the less mainstream zines.

CBGB's might be a big gig for one musician while another might dream of Carnegie Hall. Both will have to be very ambitious, work hard, and have talent to get there. Thank God there are places for all of us to seek out and feel welcome... :) even if it is just in the neighbor's garage.

Please, please feel free to post all of the calls you want, and especially feel free to post critiques of the sites. There are so many out there, it is hard to keep track.

I am glad to see that people are reading this thread!

all the best, and then some,
~anna

Last edited:
Zhuk said:

The cow provides
both crap and milk,
we decide where to stand.

I swear this was posted in this thread, maybe it was another one of the stickies...

Comprehensive directory of literary publications,
from small presses up to the most famous
with an emphasis on poetry links.
Over 300 print journals are listed.
Most pages contain submission guidelines
and some contain additional links.

Most pages contain submission guidelines
and many contain additional links
Emphasis is on print journals and University publications​

Drowning Man

ooh I just discovered their new:

NO FRILLS ALPHABETICAL INDEX
I am so glad! Their other format was tedius.

Last edited:
flyguy69 said:
Great resource, Anna. Thanks.

A New Year's resolution of mine was to actually submit some things this year!

well, get crackin' then. :)

...and it's about time

TheRainMan said:
well, get crackin' then. :)

...and it's about time
Perhaps my sights are set too high. Mannequin Envy said I had to deliver poems in person. Naked.

flyguy69 said:
Perhaps my sights are set too high. Mannequin Envy said I had to deliver poems in person. Naked.

that the webmistress' doing.

i told anna to stiffen the submission standards.

i think she took me a bit too literally.

TheRainMan said:
that the webmistress' doing.

i told anna to stiffen the submission standards.

i think she took me a bit too literally.
Ah, well. At least she took you.

Zhuk said:

I post then wind up feeling stupid. Zhuk,I understood what you were saying about "crap" that appears in prestigious journals, etc. That happens everywhere in every aspect of life. Good ol bouy syndrome ( crap floats, watch out).

It is not fair, but nothing is. If you want to be in better journals, submit to them. The way to find them is through informative threads like this and the emormous effort it takes to sort through the myriad of journals and ezines out there.

anna thank you for posting these links. You know what a value they have been to me, and my inspiration is your attitude towards poetry and your never giving up.

:heart:

maria

Maria2394 said:
I understood what you were saying about "crap" that appears in prestigious journals, etc.

And let's not forget that "Crap" is a very subjective term, spoken as often as not by the sour grapes of the rejected.

One man's junk, another man's treasure...and all.

Zhuk said:

If you look at these so called quality journals, you have to shoe horn your creativity into a very narrow spectrum to be considered a candidate for worthiness to grace their pages. What is considered poetry in their eyes seems to exclude an awful lot of fresh, exciting and quality work that is out there.

And don't be fooled by them only taking quality. I have an acquintence who fucked his way into a couple of quality magazines and into a commisioning editor's in tray. OK He claims to carry a flag for a particularly well connected literary agent. Don't let me cast aspersions on this relationship but I've seen him with many a younger woman who sport more pert arses.

Yes, I'd like to be published by them because it would get my name recognised. Would I like to wear the creative straight jacket to accomplish that? NO!

TheRainMan said:
And let's not forget that "Crap" is a very subjective term, spoken as often as not by the sour grapes of the rejected.

One man's junk, another man's treasure...and all.

LOL, TRM, yes, I agree. Some very good places have published **my** very own crap!! :D

straight jackets? fucking your way into poetry publication? damn, I am submitting to all the wrong places.

:confused:

bogusbrig said:
If you look at these so called quality journals, you have to shoe horn your creativity into a very narrow spectrum to be considered a candidate for worthiness to grace their pages. What is considered poetry in their eyes seems to exclude an awful lot of fresh, exciting and quality work that is out there.

And don't be fooled by them only taking quality. I have an acquintence who fucked his way into a couple of quality magazines and into a commisioning editor's in tray. OK He claims to carry a flag for a particularly well connected literary agent. Don't let me cast aspersions on this relationship but I've seen him with many a younger woman who sport more pert arses.

Yes, I'd like to be published by them because it would get my name recognised. Would I like to wear the creative straight jacket to accomplish that? NO!

You are welcome, and he does have a good point, I should have higher expectations for people who read this thread, and should start posting a wider variety of journals. A lot of what I post comes from the ERWA newsletter posting erotic submission calls, and from announcements of new zines with potential.

Thank you for your call of confidence!

Now why aren't you out submitting your poetry

:whipcrack:

you too fly.

Maria2394 said:
I post then wind up feeling stupid. Zhuk,I understood what you were saying about "crap" that appears in prestigious journals, etc. That happens everywhere in every aspect of life. Good ol bouy syndrome ( crap floats, watch out).

It is not fair, but nothing is. If you want to be in better journals, submit to them. The way to find them is through informative threads like this and the emormous effort it takes to sort through the myriad of journals and ezines out there.

anna thank you for posting these links. You know what a value they have been to me, and my inspiration is your attitude towards poetry and your never giving up.

maria

annaswirls said:
straight jackets? fucking your way into poetry publication? damn, I am submitting to all the wrong places.

:confused:

I might be exposing my jealousy here because if I could I would!

But I can't so I sanctimoniously condemn the practice. :p

Actually the story has since gone cold so while the rumours are it got him a couple of single poems published in periodicals and got his poems read by a commisioning editor, when it comes to actually hard cash paying for a book to be published cold business and hard headed choices might have taken over.

Last edited:
but, MIstress, I was out submitting...

POETRY!!!

and it was a postmark sensitive submission, today being the cutoff date, yes, I procrastnated, duh!!

and my printer broke, I went to the library, their new computers have a different word program, my poems were encased in frames :( that took 20 minutes to figure out how to fix, and then post office A was 25 people deep in line at 445, and post office B was way across town, i zipped across the street to buy a money order, their machine was broke, across yet another street, got a money order, they were out of stamps, DAMN, he forgot to give me my change, okay, back acrosss the street to post office A, long line now inside LOCKED door :(

hurriedly, bought 2 stamps, one was for the SASE I forgot to enclose, damn!! open envelope, add SASE, oops, last Pick up for post o ffice A was 330 pm, its 505 pm, :( back to post office B, last pick up was 4:00 PM...resigned, would be poet goes inside and shoves entry as far into in box as it will go and hears it hit the floor in back, comes home and begins to cook dinner.... sigh

makes mental note, buy new printer, get a checking account, prepare entry sooner next time ROFL!!!!!!

maria

annaswirls said:
You are welcome, and he does have a good point, I should have higher expectations for people who read this thread, and should start posting a wider variety of journals. A lot of what I post comes from the ERWA newsletter posting erotic submission calls, and from announcements of new zines with potential.

Thank you for your call of confidence!

Now why aren't you out submitting your poetry

:whipcrack:

you too fly.

exhibit A: the pros of email submission:

Maria2394 said:
POETRY!!!

and it was a postmark sensitive submission, today being the cutoff date, yes, I procrastnated, duh!!

and my printer broke, I went to the library, their new computers have a different word program, my poems were encased in frames :( that took 20 minutes to figure out how to fix, and then post office A was 25 people deep in line at 445, and post office B was way across town, i zipped across the street to buy a money order, their machine was broke, across yet another street, got a money order, they were out of stamps, DAMN, he forgot to give me my change, okay, back acrosss the street to post office A, long line now inside LOCKED door :(

hurriedly, bought 2 stamps, one was for the SASE I forgot to enclose, damn!! open envelope, add SASE, oops, last Pick up for post o ffice A was 330 pm, its 505 pm, :( back to post office B, last pick up was 4:00 PM...resigned, would be poet goes inside and shoves entry as far into in box as it will go and hears it hit the floor in back, comes home and begins to cook dinner.... sigh

makes mental note, buy new printer, get a checking account, prepare entry sooner next time ROFL!!!!!!

maria

"Dear Wonderful, Glorious Female Poets That I Know And Love"

Maria2394 said:
no, Poor Maria? :D not even a cyber hug? Oh what a dismal day in the life of me :p

okay a little cyber-hug.
now get back to it.

Here is somewhere to start, sent from Charles Ries, a smooth talkin' gorgeous poetic talent from Wisconsin who certainly would not mind my passing this along to the wonderful ladies of lit.

Another reason I like to post submission calls is it keeps my spirit in sharing and off of competition.

eh hem (in my best Beastie Boys Voice) hey LADIES!

Dear Wonderful, Glorious Female Poets That I Know And Love,

Gordon Purkis of Mastodon Dentist is looking to publish more female poets (I can’t blame him). You can find his web site at:

Mastodon Dentist and you can submit work to him at: (submissions@mastodondentist.com.)

This is a very thoughtful and easy to navigate site this I like very much.

I just thought I would encourage you to send Gordon a few poems and you are welcome to tell your girl friend poets.

Last edited:
Yes, and since I brought up Charles P. Ries, he is the poetry editor of Word Riot . He is quick in getting back to you, but there is a line up a mile long to get the work actually published. Took me 9 months between acceptance and them showing up on the site. But eh hem, you know me, I am patient. eh hem.

Back