Bitching about Boston

Sunday, I could have heard the speech, that JFK had made, on the eve of the vote, that made JFK the President of the United States.
But, I missed the opportunity.

The JFK library in Boston plans to hold an invitation-only "Victory Party" on Monday night to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the election.

gsgs comment- I am not, one of "them." :( Who-ever, "they" are.

November 8, 1960
I was born in 1954.
All I knew, is that some people, were very happy about JFK getting elected.
And some people, had a very sour attitude, about JFK getting elected.
It was a very close call. Has anyone else, slipped in, on such a small margin?

Thank you, Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...08/ri_marks_50th_anniversary_of_jfk_election/

I loved the president with a child's love.
I was heart-broken when they killed him.
He had his flaws. But on the whole,
he helped the USA become a better
place.
 
Question 1
Should alcoholic beverages be exempt from the state sales tax,
in cases where their sale or import is already subject
to state excise taxes?

This proposed law would remove the 6.25% state sales tax on beer, wine,
and liquor beverages that are also subject to a separate excise tax,
under state law. The proposed law would take effect Jan. 1.

After implementing the sales tax on alcohol in the summer of 2009,
the state collected $97 million for last 10 months of fiscal 2010.

November 9, 2010
the boston channel dot com

Massachusetts voters decided to eliminate the sales tax on alcohol.

The state faces an estimated $2 billion budget gap for the next fiscal year.

Why did Gov. Deval Patrick, oppose the repeal effort?
Because, it paid for alcohol abuse and substance abuse programs,
detox beds, and community-based mental health and treatment providers.

Patrick told reporters after the repeal was approved. "It's about people - our neighbors, our friends, our family members who need services."
 
If you are up, near the New Hampshire border? Do not freak out! Do not panic. Seabrook is not having an emergency.
They are testing out the community alarm system. It should be going off, about now.
 
What an odd week! News is telling us, that those explosive filled cartridges,
were meant for planes heading for the East Coast.
Vermont's nuke power plant is having a problem.
(Are they setting Seabrook's alarms off? Or is Seabrook having problems, again?)
Nuke power plants, all over the USA are having problems.

Is there something, going on, under the radar of what everyday people,
are not party to?

Let's send our nuke waste to France to be re-processed?

Where are we sending our nuke waste, these days?
 
boston dot com

Boston is fed up with Vornado dragging their feet.
Vornado said that their money ran out for the project.
(Vornado had plenty of money to invest everywhere else.)
The permits will be pulled.
Vornado said that they will sue the city of Boston.
Will Vornado find a buyer?

In other news
Outdoor Skating Pond On Boston Common Should Open Sunday

November 18, 2010

Too warm for outdoor ice, so far.
You know it is time to do your Winter holiday shopping,
when the Frog Pond opens for skating.
Let us hope it will be OK on Sunday.
Enjoy the show, if you go.
 
November 18, 2010
Boston Herald

Bostonian Philip Edmundson is one of only a few Americans making wine in Bordeaux, the most prestigious winemaking region in the world.

With its vanilla nose, berry accents and subtle peppery finish, Chateau Edmus hopes to attract fans of both French and California wines.

Available, in Boston! chateauedmus dot com.
 
MFA finished another new wing addition. They are partying tonight and tomorrow. Free events. Free admission.
Got a nice Special Addition supplement with the news paper.
With a flashy Bloomies ad on the back.
Special hours-Nov. 10-20
 
I'm listening to the crowd, applauding the skaters and the band. Guessing that Loveland, Colorado has a bigger holiday budget,
than Boston does. Flipping through the local TV channels on the dial, looking for Menino's plump face, and the Frog Pond.
It is Sunday, and it is cold tonight. Not sure, of what will be broadcast.
But, I am enjoying watching Foreigner play for Improv-Ice skaters,
2010 Olympian Gold Medalist Evan Lysacek; 2010 Bronze Medalist Joannie Rochette; 2010 U.S. Champion Rachael Flatt;
2009 U.S. Champion Alissa Czisny; 2008 World Champion and 2006 Olympic Bronze Medalist Jeffrey Buttle;
2007 U.S. Silver Medalist Ryan Bradley; and 2006 Olympic Silver Medalist Sasha Cohen.
The couple's dance, really matched up well to I Want to Know What Love Is.

Look for Can't Slow Down, if you crave those songs! 2010
 
Football threads. Footy threads. No hockey threads?

November 29, 2010

ATLANTA — At 5:01 of last night’s second period, when Matt Hunwick took on Evander Kane
in a post-whistle scrap, it might have been the first time the Bruins pushed back against the
Thrashers.

Kane, who once won the hearts of Bruins faithful by one-punching
Matt Cooke to the ice, landed most of the blows. But Hunwick,
with only one NHL fight to his name, showed guts standing up
to Kane and connecting with some punches.

The Thrashers ran the Bruins out of the rink with three goals in the first period. Then late in the second,
after Blake Wheeler’s goal made it 3-1, the Thrashers scored a life-sucking,power-play goal
with 12.3 ticks remaining. In the third, the Thrashers rode Ondrej Pavelec (40 saves)
to a 4-1 win before 12,085 fans — a very generous count — at Philips Arena.

Atlanta slammed the brakes on Boston’s rally with a power-play goal. Byfuglien heeled a one-timer,
but Niclas Bergfors was in position to tip the puck blocker side past Rask at 19:47 of the second.

*shakes head*
 
The tree lighting on the Boston Common went on without a hitch. WCVB TV came through.

Bad news is that there are fake Patriots game tickets online. Gellette Stadium? Look now.
 
There are a few people coming up to Massachusetts to cause trouble.
They don't seem to like much about New England.
They especially do not like the play,"The Laramie Project."
Matthew Shepard will be remembered in a kind way.
His memory is being used to enlighten.
And honoring him will be defended by many.
 
For all the others who endured the Chicago VS New England game -New England did not get whomped with snow,
but there are many broken roofs from falling trees. We had some very high winds and some places had floods.
The usual wet or flooded road car crashes.
 
Boston is losing this year's snow virginity today. Just a flurry.
Europe looks like Boston in Winter this year. Snow and cold.
 
Over the canal and over the bridge, to Grandmother's house we go.
Maybe not. Looks like Europe, on the Cape. Boston just got a little.
 
100 or so vehicle accidents due to the weather. Does Boston match up with some region in Europe? Careen and smash.
 
Blizzard of a snow storm via a Nor' Easter? Last news was Sunday night would be the real start of the mess.

I have my doubts about flying out of Logan or landing at Logan.

The city is trying to reassure people by showing huge mountainous piles of salt and road sand.

Keep an eye on the weather reports.

They could line the walls with Japanese style capsule cubicles.

Instead of forcing people sleep on the floor.
 
It is official. Boston Snow Emergency. Get your car off of the street. And stay off of the road.
 
Could hear the wind all night. The heavy snow should taper off before noon.
Will get a lighter snowfall and taper to a stop by 5:00 tonight.

5F to -15 with wind chill today. North East winds brought the cold?
Wind will still be blowing today. 35mph.

Coastal flooding- worst since 1991
Gloucester flooding-
Wellfleet, Cape Cod- 80 mph winds
Orleans, Cape Cod- 70 mph winds
Nantucket- storm centered close by and due to hit

DEC 26 -DEC 27 2010

East of Boston 25ft waves

Stellwagen 30ft waves
 
A blizzard in all but name. It is a strict category! OK Now I think tractors are sexier than ever. They sent a John Deere up to my road.
I had to go and save my Hemlocks, once again. bent double. Snow up to my knees. Drifts up to my thighs.
 
Double- edged sword. Poke Britain in the eye with a reminder and celebrate our march to freedom!

January 1, 2011
A man in a George Washington costume on horseback, represents the presence of Washington's troops in Sommerville,
and the the parade honors the 235th anniversary of the American flag- raising in Sommerville.

Will Medford celebrate on Apr 21, 2011? Patriots day will not be the same without
a man in a Paul Revere costume on horseback.
Will we be able to afford to have him to ride to Arlington this year?

1776, baby!
 
Last edited:
January 4, 2011

BOSTON -- The youngest son of the late shah of Iran has been found dead of an apparent suicide at his home in Boston.

Reza Pahlavi, the shah's oldest son, announced the death on his website Tuesday.

Pahlavi says his 44-year-old brother, former Iranian prince Alireza Pahlavi, had "struggled for years to overcome his sorrow."

Police say they found a man dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound shortly after 2 a.m. Tuesday at a home in Boston's South End neighborhood.

Police would not confirm the man's identity, but a law enforcement official who was not authorized to release the man's identity and asked for anonymity has confirmed that the man is Alireza Pahlavi.

(Former Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi )
 
I guess it is true. It is on the local news channels.

January 7, 2011

One Dumeril's boa may be crawling around inside a Red Line T car on the Braintree line.

Check for local breaking news at boston dot com 2011/01
woman seeks help

The woman who says she lost her pet snake on the Red Line Thursday has turned to Craigslist in an effort to recover it.

Some mention was made about the JFK/ UMASS stop.

(My guess is that they took the T car off and sent it to a barn, so they could look for it.)

I had a boa. They are peaceful and sweet snakes.
But, she bit my Ogre husband.
He handled her food rats and did not wash his hands.
And he patted the cat before he fed her.
And he did not have my scent.
 
Saturday, January 8, 2011

A hush on the ice-

Tom Cavanagh, who skated his way from rinks in Rhode Island to Harvard and then to the National Hockey League, was found dead Thursday inside the parking garage of the Providence Place mall.

The police said the body of the 28-year-old athlete was discovered in the vicinity of the garage’s Level C at around 11:25 a.m. Thursday. His car was discovered, with his wallet inside, later that day in another part of the garage.

Health Department spokeswoman Annmarie Beardsworth said Friday that an autopsy by the state Medical Examiner showed that Cavanagh died from “multiple traumatic injuries due to blunt force impact.”

Tom Cavanagh was a graduate of Toll Gate High School, in Warwick, where he was an All-State hockey player. After playing four seasons in the NCAA as part of the varsity hockey team at Harvard, from which he graduated in 2005, he entered the world of professional hockey, playing first for the Cleveland Barons and then the Worcester Sharks.

His agent, Matt Keator, who represented Cavanagh for his whole career, said Friday night that Cavanagh was “one of the hardest-working, intelligent kids I’ve ever known.”

Thank you, projo dot com
 
Who expects a helicopter to land, here?

Tuesday night

WCVB Boston gets new helicopter service

January 11, 2011

WCVB/ Sky 5 has made a hard landing on Boston Common on Tuesday night.

No one was injured in the incident.

The helicopter landed near the intersection of Charles and Beacon streets.
 
Back
Top