Seventh in Line (closed for lmcms)

Nordican

Honorable Scoundrel
Joined
May 29, 2012
Posts
1,808
Malkinius "Malkin" Telvik drank from a ornate wineglass. Both the glass and the bottle had been acquired in a recent raid on Daumig, a port city about half a day's travel from where the Seven's Shadows camped. Standing before a group of maps Malkin had sharp dark orange eyes and wavy short black hair styled back at the moment. Some fell over his brow while most was pulled back and curled slightly around his ears. His nose was simple and just a bit long and his jaw looked average enough by Keltin standards.

In the chill of the night he wore a black and blue striped doublet and dark brown pants. A single chain necklace of silver held the standard of the Keltin Kingdom, a hawk snatching a spear in it's talons. Tall with toned legs and arms and a lean chest Malkin was in his prime and at twenty five years felt in perfect shape. He was the leader of the Seven's Shadows, a organization loyal to the Keltin Kingdom. The Shadows did Keltins less than savory work. Jobs that weren't meant to be handled by an army or a single knight. Jobs suited to men and women like Malkin who worked well in the shadows and didn't hold much for honor and rules of engagement.

Keltin would never admit to the group's existence and Malkin liked it that way. They were the shadows the assassin lurking and waiting with a dagger to plunge into the side of Cingarians or the Tuukans. Daumig was a Cingarian city near the border of Cingar and Keltin, a prime target and good source of gold to help support the Shadows. Beyond leading the Shadows Malkin was actually known as Lord Makinius Telvik, Son of King Matias Telvik of Keltin, brother to Prince Mathis Telvik ans Seventh in line for the throne of Keltin.

He had been thinking about the crown again, about his family back at the capitol. Sometimes he couldn't but miss them. But he had work to do, important work. But right now the hour grew late and his work was almost over. He had the mission for his troops outlined in his mind and the wine was starting to alight his other appetites.
 
Last edited:
Ania Nystorm lay flat on the chilly ground her body and staff consealed under her dark cloak to keep her hidden in the night. She barely breathed so there so noticable movment from the spot she lay. She had heard rumors of Seven Shadows for years. For the most part she had believed they were just that rumors though she had dreamed they were real.

Ania was orphaned when an enemy of Keltin had come through their small village and slaughtered most of the population. An old hermit Mage had found a young Ania and took the lost child in teaching her the ways of magic. As a woman Ania knew it was not Keltin's fault her parents had been slaughter but that of their enemy. When they had killed her parents they had made yet another one. Once Ania had come into her power the old mage had sent her off into the world to find her path. It had been a few years now that Ania had roamed the country and by luck she had stumbled upon the Seven Shadows camp.

So now here she lay for the second night in a row her thin brown gown doing nothing to block the chill from the ground as she watched and gathered information on what some called the secret assasins of Keltin. The group was made up of men and women alike all skilled warriors with their weapons of choice but she also noticed not a single magic user was amoung them. This made things a bit easier for Ania as another mage would be more likely to catch her. From what she had gathered their leader was the everyone refered to as Malkin.

She closed her soft grey eyes and slowly let out a breath that stirred not but a few black strand of her hair had escaped their bonds. She was extra carefull even though with her small frame would be hard to spot while covered in the black cloak flat on the ground. She did not want to make herself known until she was positive this was the group she believed and even then she would have to be caustious or they might kill her for tripping upon them.
 
Malkin drank more of the wine as he studied the maps. Then the flaps to his tent pulled open revealing Daliah and Cestus. Daliah was lithe and willowy a perfect hunter from the west tribes. Her hair was dark black green and her eyes a small lighter shade then her hair. Cestus was a burly man, an ex gladiator freed by a Keltin raiding party. Bald, stocky and sporting impressive muscles he barely fit in his leathers shirt.

"What is it?" Malkin asked as he took another drink and stood before them.

"A report from Harowstar. General Iskan is due to arrive at Daumig. He's going to be there inspecting the docks. His command staff will be with him and at least a hundred of his troops." Daliah said in her sharp smooth voice.

"Harowstar says to attack the garrison now we could lose at least half our force before we get to the stores. They recommend holding off till the General leaves." Cestus said with his gravely baritone.

Malkin paused and let his eyes track between both of them. He turned left and went back to his maps. "No we must still strike. But not at the stores at General Iskan himself. Killing him and the left flank will lose their best general. Might even allow for Keltin to get back on the offensive before winter."
 
Ania noticed a comotion and saw a pair head toward Malkin's tent. This insighted her curiousity and she quickly belly crawled closer to his tent so she could hear what was going on. Her stomache and chest were so cold she didn't feel the rock, twings, or brittle grass poking her through the thin gown she wore. Her crawl was silent and she was sure it was unnoticed as everyone in the camp seemed to be discussing something waiting on news. Ania knew that news would come from Malkin's tent.

Finally in ear shot she stopped and listened to what was being said. She must have missed the first half of the conversation because all the head was Malkin stating, "No we must still strike. But not at the stores at General Iskan himself. Killing him and the left flank will lose their best general. Might even allow for Keltin to get back on the offensive before winter."

She laid there still and quiet as she thought over what she knew of the plan she didn't know where the strike would be at but she had to admit she liked the plan herself. She knew the Seven Shadows would have to be careful however because she knew General Iskan always had a fairly large group with him. She decided when the time came she would follow them and lend aid if it should be needed. She almost laughed to herself as she thought, "I will be The Seven Shadows shadow." She stayed where she was knowing she was concealed and let her eyes drift closed as she listened for any danger.
 
His commanders paused for a moment but did not object to the plan.

"It will be a glorious fight. Should it open up our homeland for to swat those Cingarian dogs on their hind quarters we'll be immortalized haha." The big man chortled and Malkin couldn't help but smile. Daliah didn't seem quite so taken with the idea but she held her tongue all the same.

"The hour grows late. Tomorrow we shall make the alterations." Malkin said and Cestus nodded with his grin still plastered. The two turned to leave with the big man in front and Daliah walking gracefully behind. Her hips shifted elegantly as she walked and he saw her turn at the last moment and offer him a sly cat like smile and he had to keep his face cold and controlled.

It would have been nice to ask her to stick behind as he had done on occasion but he wanted a clear head to be better prepared for planning in the morning. He finished the cup and then secured the flaps of the tent. There were two guards posted outside at all times but it paid to be careful. The issue of having to unbind the flaps for an assailant might give him the time he needed. Removing his clothes and pulling on a simple long shirt of white linen Malkin retired to his bed for the night and thought of ending the war with a single brilliant stroke. The journey to this point had been long and arduous but it would all be worth it.

----------

Soon enough morning came and Malkin broke his fast and suited up. Emerging out into the morning sunlight he found the Shadows already hard at work. They would be moving camp again before the next night came but others were already preparing for the mission ahead. Malkin wasted little time and outlined the revisions, some were large and some were small but at the end of it he felt confident that after they left Daumig General Iskan would be dead and in the ground.

Twenty Seven of the Shadows soon departed after that. They didn't use horses though five of them were disguised as merchants and used an old carriage and headed off on the main path for the port city while the others took to the hills and mountains heading for the coast. Daliah and her scouts led the way with Malkin not far with the main force. Cestus traveled close by while Two Fingers Rob held the rearguard.

Malkin wore a black and brown suit of boiled leather over chainmail. His half helm rested at his side and his blade sheathed across his back. He had three daggers on his person and maps and parchment and even some ink and quills for quickly preparing a letter or instruction. Of course he would have to give the ink and quills and paper to someone else not going with him for his side of the plans. He'd hate to have to acquire items that were not easily replaced.

Soon they came to the edge of the water. Daliah's scouts took up a primeter while the ten going with Malkin edged closer to the water. He wasted no time and pulled off his leathers and then chain. Then he pulled back on the top layer of armor confident in his strength. Others removed their heavier armor and did not replace any layers and simply kept to clothes. The weapons stayed on however.

"To the glory and victory of Keltin." Malkin said raising up his blade and there was a shouting chorus of affirmation from his men and women. Then sheathing his blade he turned to the others with him and they moved towards the water and soon swam out towards the open sea before turning in to the right and heading out along the way towards Daumig.

Two Fingers Rob watched for a moment as the group disappeared and then turned to his men and gave them a nod. The group of twelve shadows prepared to move out. "Can't wait to shove a spear right up that General's ass." Andilos shouted with a grin as he prepared to move out.

"I'm afraid you'll be waiting a long time brother." Rob said and then but two fingers together and made a short circle. Behind the spearman Cold Wallace raised his crossbow and shot Andilos through the heart. Others turned, thrown off by what happened and moved to aide Andilos as he fell. unfortunately it left them exposed to other betrayals. Only four of the people left behind by Malkin had been loyal to enough to be considered as 'needing to be taken care of'

Rob smiled on at the bloody beach looking damn well proud of his cohort while the bodies were stripped and shoved to the sea. "We gotta move. No reward in it for us if the General dies before we get paid. Come on." He grunted and the others nodded before following him off as the group departed the bloody scene heading for Daumig.
 
Ania had fallen asleep on the ground too close to the camp and she knew this as soon as her eyes popped open. Luckily this time she had woken at what many called the darkest dark before dawn. It was when the lands grew darker as the sky still looked likes night but the suns smallest rays caused the moutains to shadow the land. She quickly and silently crawled away to prepare to travel the following day. Once she was away where they would not she her at the camp she rose and finished walking to her own camp.

At her camp she quickly changed from her brown work gown into her darker brown and emerald robes. She threw her black cloak on over it and tied it and the neck before packing up and covering her own camp. No one would ever know a camp ground had been here she gathered some berries to break her fast. Once all was well at her own camp she pulled out her scrying bowl so she could watch the progress the Shadows camp.

She watched them split into two groups a small group traveling the main road and larger group taking to the wilderness. She carefully considered but followed the wilderness group she stayed well behind and used her scrying bowl when she dared not get to close. When she knew the group ahead of her had to have reached the sea she sat upon a rock and watched through her bowl at all that was taking place.

She watched Malkin and a group of ten swim out to sea and up as soon as they were out of site she watched a group of her own country men betray the rest. Her blood boiled with a rage she kept carefully caged. She debated extracting vingance for the following but it was too late now let the their leader show these tratiors no mercy for she had none either. She looked upon the sky and spotted a hawk. Using her talents of the earth she called the hawk to her and retreived parchment ink and quil from her pack and jotted down the betrayl to Malkin.

Dear Malkin,
When you swam to sea to you left ten men behind. Six have fallen to never rise again. Four wolves walk among you in sheeps clothing.
(She gave a description of each of the 4 men). Beware of these wolves I leave the vengance of your fallen to you. Step lightly Malkin and rather you head this warning or not remember I have done my duty by Keltin this day where others have failed.
A.


She tied the message to the hawk's talon as she sent it image of what was required of it. She sat back and paused reinforcing the image of Malkin so there was no mistake in whom this missive were to be taken to or retrieved by. The hawk lowered his head showing he understood before taking off and making haste across the sky. Ania watched the til the hawk was out of site before she began traveling again staying clear of the wolves she had faith the hawk would get the message to Malkin as fast as possible no matter what it had to do to accomplish its goal.
 
Malkin and his raiders swam and swam. It was hard going, the cove of Daimug was not known for it's peaceful waves. He coughed up seawater as he pushed through and already started to feel the dull burn in his arms. Sure it wasn't the greatest plan on his record to swim out and then sneak into the cove but it would put him and nine other skilled fighters likely where the General and other forces least expected it.

Soon enough they spied the harbor and he turned to Yorgis and expelled magister as he simply treaded water for a moment. "You sure it will work?" He asked as Cetus spit out some water as they paused.

"Of course it will. I was removed from Academy because of selling cheat sheets not because of lack of skill. All the same holding your breath wouldn't hurt." the magister said with a wide smile missing a few yellowish teeth before he whispered words in an arcane language. Then Malkin felt the spell touching him and he looked to both Daliah and Cestus and nodded before diving back under the water. It felt strange and at first he fought the impulse to hold his breath but then he saw the faint glimmer of a sphere around him.

Opening his mouth he found that he could still feel the water around him but he could breathe normally or at least he felt like it. He nodded to Yorgis when the magister descended and then the group swam forward through the dark water towards their goal. In no time they were swimming beneath and around ships and then they found the Evening Run. Harowstar the agent inside Daumig had marked the ships undersides with a small dagger.

They climbed up and found the ship was close to a small shed where they assembled.

"Ok here is the plan we..." Before he could say much else he was interrupted as a hawk flew right into the shed and squawked at him. Daliah pulled a dagger but he held her off noticing a message on the bird's talons.

He took it and read the message quickly and felt a weight fall onto his stomach.

---------------

At the outskirts of the city Two Fingers Rob and his cohort had made it to the main gate. Daumig wasn't under lock down or anything but the four looked like trouble and so were escorted into the city by some of the local Cingarian guards. The city wasn't large but it wasn't small either. Thick tall blocky houses rose up from the paved land and it smelled of fish and was full of people shouting their wears and sailors singing their songs.
 
Ania's feet were sore as she had, had to take a rougher trek to the city to avoid the wolves but she noticed as she arrived that she had arrived shortly behind them as she saw them escourted around the corner. Again she prayed her message made it to Melkin and that he found truth in her words. She made it into the city with not a problem and made her way to the docks and scouted around for the best spot to watch and render help but only if need be. It took her only a few moments to find what she was looking for.

She planted herself on a small hill that was out of the way with little to no traffic, close to the dock but not so close that she would be noticed, and gave her a clear view of any and everything that was happening without the use of her scrying bowl. She sat cross legged and waited for the events to unfold. While she sat and watched taking everything in her mind ran through all the could go wrongs and spells that would help. She knew the time would come where she would be needed and she knew she wouldn't have the time to ponder on the best move. She would have to be lightning fast and markman efficient.

She finally spotted General Iskan on her side of the dock that would make things easier when the time came if they where closer the spell would be stronger and more effective. She kept one eye on the General and the other on the look for Malkin and troop though she was sure she wouldn't see them until they were upon the general.
 
"General Iskan. This mercenary says he has urgent business to discuss." A guard grunted as the pair of them and the four traitors arrived at the General's position. A man with stark white hair pulling back around his temples and dark brown eyes turned to them. He wore the uniform of a Cingarian officer and his left side was decorated with many medals.

"What is it? Spit it out man and don't waste my time. I never cared for sellswords like you. Or their word if it proves false." The general said in a hard gravely tone.

The three others turned to their leader and Rob moved forward. "Yes sir I won't lie to you or nothing. There is a Keltin force hidden close by. They're known as the Seven's Shadows and they're headed hear by sea to attack and try to kill you sir. We know their is a bounty on them." Rob said in a slightly fearful tone.

The general looked over him. "Ah turncoats no doubt. Realized that the Keltin side of this war is lookign pretty grim after the Tanidor Rush. Well gentlemen. supposing you're telling the truth and we find the Shadows I'll be sure to get the gold to you, after you help me kill every last one of them. Now if we don't find them and this is hogwash I'll hang you. You first you." Iskan said prodding Rob with his finger.

"Of course my lord we tell it truthfully. And whats more sir I know their leader he's actually..." A crossbow bolt shot forward hitting Rob high on the chest. Blood flowed as he crashed backwards and the general raised his sword as he sounded the alarm. Then twenty odd guards around him roared as one spotted two archers on a rooftop not by firing a bow and cross bow. A arrow with black and blue feathering killed a man right in front of the General and then the other mercs tried to make a break for it.

"Traitors! It's a trap kill them!" The general yelled and then suddenly two shadows flowed over him, one much larger then the other. Behind him a large man with bustling muscles crashed down on some sod and then started to swing a heavy axe around. The other man was a swordsman armored and cloaked. Two blades flashed around him and he set upon the General's men with a fury.

"Kill them get them." He shouted and then his own archers took aim at the pair on the roof. The one with the bow was running and jumping but the other took three arrows in the chest and one in the leg before falling.

Then another man appeared before the general dressed in black and brown leathers with a blue and black scar pulled over his face.

"Hello there general." Malkin said and then struck forward with his blade as the two engaged one another.

Away from the port another fifteen soldiers were racing in to help out the general and his troops. Their arrival would likely spell doom for all the shadows who were already outnumbered as it was.
 
Ania sat upon her hill and watched her breath caught when she saw the wolves with the general and her vision turned red with fury. She should have killed the fools when they had betrayed Keltin instead of leaving them for Malkin now everything was going to wrong and she knew it. As soon as the main wolf fell everything turned into chaos. She kept her eyes on the general she knew what she would have to do as soon as he fell. She Malkin engage him she had seen him practice the day before and had faith he could beat the general but time was running out more soliders were on the way to join the fray.

Ania rose gracefully getting a better view point of escape routes. It seemed the fastest and safest route would be for the Shadows who were left standing came straight her way. This was not wanted she wanted but she couldn't the Shadows fall so it was honor before self. She needed to delay the guards until Malkin made the general draw his last breath but she couldn't expell too much energy. Thinking quickly she set a line of fire in the guards way, it would be effective but only for a short time she would have to pray Malkin made quick work of the General so she could pull the Shadows out. Her gaze quickly returned to Malkin and the General they were still deep in battle she didn't worry about the fire she had to time this just right before too many more Shadows were lost. She only needed the general to fall and never rise the rest were of no consiquence at the moment.
 
The reinforcements stopped before the line of fire. some scared while some just starred blankly in pure astonishment. The looked on while some cried out and tried to figure out a way around.

Malkin heard the fire and heard the cries of the guards. He wondered if Yorgis was responsible had cast the spell. But at the moment he didn't have much time to dwell on such.

"Rauurgh!" The general shouted angrily and swung his blade but Malkin spun away and slashed out. His blade cut through the man's shoulder and Iskan growled out a curse. Malkin smiled and stepped back and then ducked below a wide strike as he plunged in his blade into the general's gut. It was clean efficient and with little embellishment, then he twisted the blade.

"Hrrk..." Iskan sputtered as blood pooled out from this wound and he rested on his knees.

"That was for the people of Salind." Malkin said and spat at the man as he died. Plucking up the general's sword and one of his medals Malkin turned and shouted at the Shadows to fall back. Turning he paused as Daliah moved to his side firing an arrow from her bow. His eyes spotted a woman with black hair and pale eyes.

"Malkin we have to go!" Daliah said and then he nodded as Cestus moved past him carrying a wounded solder in his big arms. Malkin took off and joined the rest of them.

He moved to close with the woman when they raced from the town. "Who are you?" He asked quickly as they left Daumig.
 
Elation shot through Asia as she watched the general fall to never rise. Soon the Shadows gathered and ran her way as they got to her she threw up her hands casting an invible wall to keep them from being followed. As she ran with them knowing she would no longer be safe in the city she kept her concentration on the wall keeping the soliders from following even after they where out of sight. The farther away they made it the better chance of survial especially when they had wounded with them. She knew Malkin was questioning her but between running and focusing on the spell she didn't have it in her to answer.

One would think that being the leader of a group of assasins would give a man the knowledge that while running from the enemy was not the time to question people. As they got further away and headed into the wilderness Asia could feel it becoming harder to hold her connection to wall and she knew her energy was failing but she would hold the wall until she fell. The Shadows needed to escape above all else they had to make it to fight another day. As everyone kept running the distance grew greater and satisfaction filled Asia. Just as the distance from the wall became to great for her to maintain her last drop of reserved energy left her. Her last thought was of the pain she would feel when she woke as the world starting turning grey into black. The last thing she saw was the ground coming up to meet her.
 
Later Malkin stood before the mysterious woman. She was setup on his bed. A combinations of furs and animal hides but the most comfortable place in the camp all the same and one of the first erected at their new campsite. They clung close to the mountains, well away from Daumig. His dark orange eyes looked over her as Yorgis cared after her. The older man's ear was bandaged from where a Cingarian had cut it off with a sword strike, but all the same he was alive. Others had not been so lucky.

In addition to the six who were betrayed Big Tom and Larigstan were amongst those who did not escape. Larigstan himself had stood his ground to ensure they escaped from the guards and Malkin had not even seen the man fall but heard his battle cry as he charged the enemy. The deaths hung heavy on the leader and now there was this girl. The enemy had been dealt a stinging blow but they had lost much and gained a mystery.

She had helped them true enough, without her spell the other guards would have fallen on them for sure and there would have been no escape. They'd been most fortunate.

"We should have left her." Daliah had said after Malkin continued on with the woman in his arms as they'd fled. He'd dismissed the green haired woman's warnings.

"She helped us, she doesn't deserve to be captured by the enemy." He said and then had pressed on. Looking over her he wondered who she was, why she'd helped them and where she had come from.
 
Ania wasn't sure how long she had been out when she slowly began floating up from the dark abyss she had been in, nor did she know where she was. She was warmer than she had been in a while and more comfortable than she had been in longer than she could remeber. Ania thought long and hard about how she had gotten here and then she remebered the battle. General Iskan had fallen at Malkin hand and then they had run her direction. She had thrown out a wall using her strongest magics and had held it while running a great distance. She had fainted.

She sat up bolt right and glanced around blindly catogorising everything she was seeing without really seeing it. She sensed she wasn't alone and instant bushed out from herself causing a barrier to form more than an arms length away from her in all directions. The barrier was weak and wouldn't hold long with as weak as she was but it would hold long enough for her to fully come to her sense.

"Whose there?" She whispered in her soft voice that carried power when she wished it.

She felt around for her staff and became increasingly nervous when she could not find it.
 
Yorgis mumbled something that was half shock half grunt as the barrier came up around the woman. "Foolish girl we're here to help." The man said and then shifted away collecting his stuff. "See she's alive. Just like I said she was." He grumbled and collected his things.

Malkin moved forward and cast the old man with a look of mild annoyance. He looked down at her with a warmth about him and a small grin on his lips. "We're friends. You can call me Malkin. The old man is just a bitter old man, best ignored till he remembers his manners." Malkin said and heard a grumble and insult said under Yorgis' but he ignored it.
 
Ania heard the voices as her eyes began to focus and she was finally able to make sence of the shapes. As soon as Malkin spoke she relaxed realising she knew his voice. She let the barrier fall away she hadn't been taken by the enemy so anything else she could deal with.

"I am Ania Nystorm." She spoke clearly letting her power lace her words. "Where am I and how did I get here?" She wanted to know because she couldn't remember much of anything past running.

She adjusted herself so her back propted up so she wouldn't be on her back talking to him. She was too weak to hold herself up much longer. She knew talking to him was important but the lack of energy was trying to pull her back into oblivion.

"I know whom and what you are so I guess my question can wait please ask yours and I will answer the best I can before I am pulled back under to recharge." She told him.
 
Malkin studied her closely for a moment. Her words did not bring him much good news, only that she knew who they were but that didn't exactly tell him how much she knew.

He gave her a small simple smile and then rested a hand on her arm. "Questions will come later Miss Nystorm. For now rest..." Malkin said and then looked at her for a moment and mulled things over in his mind. She could be an infiltrator, Daliah would say as much, but then she thought any potential recruit that they didn't scout out was an infiltrator. Which was quite ironic given she had found Malkin years ago in Keltin and snuck into his camp when they were close to her village. She was the first to sneak into his tent at night.

He pushed the thoughts aside. He didn't feel that the mage lying half unconscious before him was an infiltrator. Mages could be...unpredictable and he didn't think Cingar or the Tuukans would use one against him. More like they would send someone normal enough, someone with skill in blades or arrows, but a mage it didn't seem likely.
 
"Questions will come later Miss Nystorm. For now rest..." Malkin told her and she nodded.

She watched him watch her as if he were contemplating something she knew he had to be curious about her knowledge and it was vast though maybe not all the way correct. She had her own concerns about being here the biggest concern was not knowing where here was or whom's tent she was in but if she had to hazard a guess she would say Malkin's as everyone had left the tent but him or he could simply be on guard duty she had no way of knowing.

There were no more words spoke as he took her measure and she took his for the first time up close. He really was an attractive man and probably had many a woman visit his furs. This meant if she where in his she would need to quickly recover as to not cramp his style or have him expect her to pay him on her back. But first she needed more sleep and soon her head grew too tired for thought and this time she drifted off into a peaceful rejuvinating sleep.
 
Malkin waited for a moment after the woman, Ania fell asleep again. Yorgis grumbled something in a language the dark haired warrior didn't understand.

"I hope that was constructive." Malkin said and then watched old man leave before making another comment, this time in a language the man with royal blood in him understood. It left him a bit flustered for the moment and his eyes moved back to the woman lying on his bed before he gave a sigh and followed the man out. He stopped at his guards and instructed them that no one save him had permission to enter his quarters and that any man found breaking these rules would be gelded and then killed.

The guards stood up straighter as Malkin departed to meet with his captains. Everyone had an opinion. Daliah said they should kill her given it seemed likely she was a spy placed perhaps even before the events of Daumig. "Fitting she appears right after we learn of Two Fingers betrayel. What it if was all a trick and he was just distracting the General for us?" She said and there was some voices of approval.

"Andalos and the others were not with them. We saw as much. If this is a trick it's far surpassing anything our enemy has done before. I doubt it is so. She warned us and used a spell that nearly killed her to help us escape. Why do that if she's an agent of the enemy. We would have been dead for sure." Malkin said and Cestus and others nodded.

"She don't look like a spy, just some whips with magic with nice teats and a robe." The big man grunted and some man laughed though Daliah didn't join in.

"No one looks like a spy idiot, that's why they're spies." She said and Malkin grinned. The best of his scouts was true in that regard though he'd not missed the look she'd given him when he said the prisoner should be brought to his tent.

The arguments continued and then he silenced them all with a wave of his hand. "Enough. Tonight she will remain where she is and under guard. Then I will decide what to do with her. Don't forget that without her spell we'd likely all be dead." He didn't bother adding that fresh blood would be needed. They had lost twelve shadows in a single mission and the thought weighed heavily on him. Each one may not have been a treasured friend but each was a Shadow, one of his troops, his responsibility.

He spoke with Daliah and Cestus for a time and then he and Simon moved back to his tent. Simon was effectively Malkin's squire and one day Makin planned to make him a knight once he'd proven himself. The lad was strong with short blonde hair and arms growing by the day. Tired as Malkin was they needed to train and it got his mind off those that had died, and those who had betrayed him. As swords clanged he wondered if any of the others lived on. Rob was dead but Cold Wallace, Tiren Yaniels and Silent Stan were potentially still out there. As he and Simon trianed he hoped that they were dead and not rotting in a Cingar prison. Death was all they deserved, by Cingar's hand or his.

After about an hour Malkin dismissed the young lad and then washed before returning to his tent. A spare bedroll was in hand and he set it out near his table where the maps from were waiting for him to uncork and unroll. Pressing the material down he looked once more to Ania and then removed his armor and arms and then pulled on a simple white linen shirt though he kept his blade close. His gut said she was not hear to harm him but his mind knew the need to be prepared shouldn't be overlooked. Then slowly with a long yawn his eyes started to blink sleepily and he rested his head on the pillow a few inches above the hard grown and went to sleep.
 
Ania slept peacefully and for a long while the first rays of dawn were just beging to slip over the mountian. Keeping her eyes closed Ania listened it sounded as if most of the camp was still abed and she could hear the faint snore from across the tent. When she was sure there would be no suprises when she opened her eyes she slowly did so and inspected the tent. Everything was quiet and Malkin was by the table fast asleep. She was sure he had had a late night and did not want to wake him nor did she want to sit here board. She decided she should break her fast she was always more patient once she did that. She rose gracefully from the furs and looked around finding both her staff and her pack.

She retrieved both very quietly and slipped back on the furrs with her staff at her side and her pack in her lap. She found some berries and hard bread and ate away as she watched Malkin sleep. By the time she finished she could hear more of the camp stirring and grew nervous while Malkin still slept she had a feeling her arrival or help was not all that welcome by some. She kept one eye on Malkin as she pulled out her scrying bowl. She had the bowl show her a birds eye view of the camp but more specially on the tent she was in. This made her feel more secure as someone maybe silent enough to slip up on her she could now see as well. So there she sat on a bed furs watching Malkin sleep and keeping an eye on her surroundings.

She was not suprised when she heard a woman yelling at the guards who refused her entrance into the tent. She had watched the woman's angery strides. It seemed the woman thought she had killed Malkin in his sleep and slipped past them. Of course the guards did not take this news well. She didn't bother to wake Malkin she knew with as loud as the confrination was getting outside it would soon wake him without her help.
 
Malkin grumbled awake when he heard the shouting. Daliah. He thought and then he blinked in the morning coldness and fought back a yawn as she swept in.

"Daliah please I'm not decent." He said and pinched his nose with a grin as she favored him with a look of contempt. Her dark green eyes moved towards the Mage as Malkin stood up. Saying nothing he looked in between the two women for a moment and grinned. "See I'm still alive and she's still here." Malkin said and didn't bother chiming in on anything else.

"The scouts are already patrolling, they should be back before noon." Daliah said and he nodded to her and moved some stray dark hair from his face. Daliah turned back to Ania. "We should wash her, at least get the smell of mud and shit off of her."

"Daliah." Malkin growled and she lowered her head slightly though her eyes remained on Ania. "Go to your duties. I'm sure I'll be fine and if I need anything I'll be sure to let you know." Malkin said and one time he would have touched her arm softly to show he was fine but the two had cut off intimate relations a few months ago and they both had set on keeping things civil though he couldn't help shake the feeling she was jealous that Ania shared furs that were once hers.

"Fine." She said and turned and left him there. Pulling up his shirt once she was gone Malkin turned away showing Ania his back as he found moved to a trunk. His form was lean and not chiseled but definitely defined enough.
 
Well Ania thought that was an intresting show for first thing in the morning. Daliah is what he had called the green haired vixen yes this woman wanted her blood and had a sharp and practiced tonuge. She thought it was good she had grown as an odd one and was use to snide comments. "Let people say what they will child as long as you know the truth." her adopted mother had always told her. Ania knew she was dirty and yes she could use a washing but she was no where near as nasty as the other woman had proclaim after all she had been in this tent and in these furs since the battle ended while everyone else had, had a chance to wash so it was no fault of her own.

As Malkin turned to dress Ania respectably focused on her scrying bowl watching the camp. That green hair vixen was green in more than one way and her jealousy was showing as she threw a fit in what she thought was private. Really Ania thought she was acting quiet childish, she should be more constructive with her emotions or better yet use her brain. Everyone else seemed to be proceeding as normal which was good she thought maybe Daliah should take lessons. Though she was sure the other woman was normally the penicale of cool calm and collected it seemed when it came to Malkin she had a short fuse.

As she stared into the bowl she noticed two more men approaching the tent from opposite directions. One she knew was the grabby old goat from last night and the other was the one she had seen go into Malkin's tent with Daliah the night before the battle. "If your not dressed I would hurry we have two more visitors coming. It would appear they all expect to find you dead at my hand. Who knew I could be so threatening when I am no larger than nat." She laughed at her own joke watching the other too meet then approach together she looked up at the tent flap waiting for their entry.
 
Malkin turned around after pulling up some black and light brown pants. His chest was barely covered by a armored jacket slung over his left shoulder. Sharp eyes looked over to her and he raised his brow slightly at her little joke.

"One can never be too careful with a mysterious mage I'm afraid." Malkin said before Yorgis and Cestus arrived. The old wizard looked over to Ania for a moment and Cestus looked over to Malkin.

"Belis said she'd have you tied down to the bed. He bet me five gold." Cestus said with a grin full of big teeth. Malkin rolled his eyes slightly and turned to Ania.
 
Ania ignored the old goat's stare he was another who didnot want her here. She liked the big man though he seemed know how to enjoy life and when to fight. Yes she decided she liked this man if she were to stay she would befriend him. Ania smiled at him teasingly.

"I get 2 of that for letting you win right? You wouldn't cut me out would you?" She asked him with a light laugh.

She looked at all three men who were now staring at her shrugged and went back to watching her bowl. She really didn't care what any of them thought she knew she was not like most females and could be as crude and bold as the men though for her it was just a way to have fun. When the silence continued she looked up "Yes?"
 
Cestus laughed at her and gave a grin to Malkin. "Yorgis and Daliah believe that you were us before the raid on Daumig. We're wondering if you're not a spy than why were you hiding amongst us. Are you an escaped prisoner, some lord's daughter fled from his grips?" Malkin asked as he looked at her. His face was not unkind but he still had some wariness about himself.
 
Back
Top