"Rebuild": A Zombie Survival RP

My heart rate and breathing slowly returns to normal, and rub my trembling hands together. Having not heard Louise approach the couch, about jumping out of my skin as she spoke. To said the least it scared the hell out of me, looking up with a sigh of relief. ''Had a really bad nightmare Louise, but I'm alright now. I thank so anyway. Holding my hands out watching as they're still trembling. ''Look at me, a grown man shakin like lil boy.'' Slowly shaking my head about all this.

Fumbling for my zippo lighter and pack of cigarillo's, grumbling something unintelligible as I attempt it. Lifting my eyes to hers with a weak smile, an exasperated look upon my face. ''Damnit! cain't even git my smokes and lighter outta my pockets!'' Balling my hands into fists trying to keep them from trembling. I must have looked like a nervous wreck to Louise, she must think I'm some crazy basket case. ''I usually have my shit together, but not tonight I dont.''
 
Last edited:
Louise frowned knowing whatever was troubling his subconscious would continue troubling him but did not to pry to much into his business because she had just met him and he was a sweet guy. She took his hand and held it and gave a soft smile " Are you sure? I know it isnt my buisness but.. im here to listen if you want to talk ok and even grown men get scared sometimes Cramer doesn't make you less of one" she saw him fumbling for something.

She looked at him and nodded understanding. The way things were going in the world she was half surprised she hadnt cracked. " I understand how it is Cramer I do. I can barely sleep myself at times because I worry but I try my damn best to keep my mind on hope" she said " We cant have our shit together all the time"
 
Last edited:
Taking Louise by both hands to squeeze them gently. ''Thanks Darlin...that's what I been told. I know it's true, but it ain't always easy to do that ye know?'' She had very beautiful eyes, even in the low light it was obvious. Obvious as well was the fact she was sincere, in everything she did and said revealed this to me. ''Especially after the Armory today.''

Lowering my eyes realizing we're holding hands again, not that I minded I didn't want to be alone. With a wry grin I look back up into her pretty face. ''My hands must like yours.'' My smokes and lighter forgotten now, the feel of a woman's soft hands in mine helped. I awaited her reaction to my words, I wasn't trying to flirt and hoped she didn't think so now.
 
Louise nodded agreeing things had gotten out of hand but right now they had to keep emotions at bay. She was extremely upset about the kids getting a bomb and thought about It for a while and realized Peter didn't seem like he was that type if guy. She hebws a bit flirtatious and overconfident at times but never malicious except the time he got napoleon and wasn't in control of his actions.

She stared down at their hands and blushed smirking " I guess they do' she giggled " I can sit here with till I know your ok Cramer" she said and sat beside him " Ive been told im a good listener ..Do you want to talk?"
 
''Yeah if it's not too much trouble?'' Sliding over on the couch giving her room to sit, I let her hands slip from mine. ''Have a seat it's more comfortable than it looks.'' Leaning back against the couch with a sigh, slowly I begin to relax a little bit more. Still feeling as exhausted as I was, a little company was actually welcome right now. Rubbing the sleep from weary eyes I yawn, laying my head against the back of the couch.

''Ria asked me to call the Vineyard I told everyone about, I need to first thang in the morning she said.'' I was glad she was a leader of the Knights, but she was over worked and somethings bothering her. ''Something is going on with Ria and Bart, she and he's usually all lovey dovey. I expected them to go running into each others arms, she gits taken fuckin hostage and he's bein a dick.

Just thinking about it I shook my head, the man had a woman and treated her like that. ''I thank that's crazy shit, I just don't git it at all.'' Pinching to bridge of my nose as my head ached, and reaching up to rub the back of my neck. ''Be good the git the hell outta this place, and out of the city limits back into the country agin. Never did belong in the city it just ain't fer me, I want to just go on back home like everyone else.''
 
Last edited:
Deacon

I finished the soldering just as Cramer left,

"Well I can always catch him later."

I turned to Derry,

"You on the other hand..."

I pulled her closer, kissing her, using her toned bum to lift her on to a clear space on the work bench, kissing her again,

"Even cavemen need sugar every now and then."

I smiled at her, wrapping my arms around her and holding her tight,

"I think that we will be leaving, this place looks a mess and loads of people seem uncomfortable."

I rested my chin on her shoulder,

"I think I will have to start with Peter, he is a guy who carries the most weight around here. What do you think?"
 
''Yeah if it's not too much trouble?'' Sliding over on the couch giving her room to sit, I let her hands slip from mine. ''Have a seat it's more comfortable than it looks.'' Leaning back against the couch with a sigh, slowly I begin to relax a little bit more. Still feeling as exhausted as I was, a little company was actually welcome right now. Rubbing the sleep from weary eyes I yawn, laying my head against the back of the couch.

''Ria asked me to call the Vineyard I told everyone about, I need to first thang in the morning she said.'' I was glad she was a leader of the Knights, but she was over worked and somethings bothering her. ''Something is going on with Ria and Bart, she and he's usually all lovey dovey. I expected them to go running into each others arms, she gits taken fuckin hostage and he's bein a dick.

Just thinking about it I shook my head, the man had a woman and treated her like that. ''I thank that's crazy shit, I just don't git at all.'' Pinching to bridge of my nose as my head ached, and reaching up to rub the back of my neck. ''Be good the git the hell outta this place, and out of the city limits back into the country agin. Never did belong in the city it just ain't fer me, I want to just go on back home like everyone else.''


Louise frowned thinking how lucky bart was to have the love of his life still and to treat her that way was baffling. She hadnt known much about the situation or Ria but she knew by the few times she had met her that she was a good woman. She knew how crazy it had been out there but she had no idea how much shit they had been through and she grew much more respect for the scouting team.

She listened to Cramer as he spoke and she could tell he missed home as he spoke about going back. She wasnt much of a city girl herself and wanted to return home as well with her family but she wasnt sure if that was possible anymore. She was so worried about all of them she turned it to caring about her family in the knight. She nodded " I want to leave here as well Cramer its getting tense and it just aint sanitary for anyone really. Are you guys still looking for land? Or have yall found something? It is scary as hell to know what's happening out there... She said sadly " It hard not yo wirry about family... friends or anyone ive lost touch with. My mind makes up crazy shit about how theyre doing or what theyve becone. It definitely aint a typical zombie movie situation. I read books to keep my mind off it some".
 
I listened to what Louise had to say with a sympathetic ear, she was beginning to get upset and worried. So without really thinking about it reach out my hand, to very gently take hers into mine. I never could just sit there like a lump, especially when a woman was worried or upset. I'd been that way after sitting with my Grandma and Mama, back when Grandpa and Daddy died. ''It ain't easy on any of us Darlin, like you said we all have to care about each other.''

"My Farm is about five miles from this Vineyard, I delivered vegetables there for years. I know the family that own and run it, took my wife there on vacation several times. It's very beautiful and has a big Inn, I believe we could all live safely there and grow food. We can go clean out a Sam's bulk store, and outdoor outfitter store to supply us and whoever is there.'' Hopefully what I'd said sounded comforting, hope wasn't dead it was just beaten up bad.
 
Last edited:
Lousie nodded and gave a small smile. She hoped to hit a drugstore or such for medical supplies for Lola and the sick and the farm and Vineyard sounded amazing she had been there grapestomping with her fiancee before.

" I know where your talking about its amazing there. I think a drugstore and sams would be ideal we could get plenty there we also got to find a vehicle to carry it all for us Maybe a truck if we could find one thatll be plenty. " she said and smiled softly appreciating him listening.
 
Deacon and Derry

As Deacon kissed me, I could feel him lift me onto his workbench.

"Even cavemen need sugar every now and then."

I couldn't help but respond to him, wrapping my legs around his hips and taking a few minutes to show him how I felt. When we broke the kiss he held me close as he talked about how people were now feeling about our home here at Knights. I nodded my head in agreement as he rested his chin on my shoulder.

"I think I will have to start with Peter, he is a guy who carries the most weight around here. What do you think?"

I frowned slightly before responding,

"You know you will have to mend some fences with Peter, but I agree he does seem to be popular. So you will have to talk to him sooner or later, and there is no time like the present. If you don't mind I would like to come along and if needed be the mediator. Even though you were totally right, it would be a good thing if you toned down the caveman just a smidgen when dealing with other people in the future. Some new rules or laws are going to have to come into play...the sooner the better. Like locking up your workshop and only a few people can have the keys."

Kissing Deacon one last time I add,

"As for me...you can be the caveman all you want. But first lets get this Peter business out of the way."
 
Last edited:
''Oh shit!'' Slapping my right hand to my forehead, I completely forget Deacon wanted to talk to me. ''Deacon wanted to talk to me about some thangs, ye want to tag along with me when I do? I hoped Louise would say yes to my question, she'd calmed my nerves it was very nice having her company.

Sitting upright on the couch I remember something, I still had her hand held in mine having never let go. ''Haha! sorry still have ye by the hand, you gotta thank I am really strange by now.'' Letting Louise hand free of mine once again, this was getting more embarrassing each time it happened.

But my nightmare and rattled nerves were eased, thankfully she must have heard him yell or something. ''Thanks though you settled my nerves completely.'' Standing I tucked my ducks jersey back down, and rub my hand up over my buzz cut. ''I really appreciate you sittin with me Louise, just anyone wouldn't have done that.'' I really needed to go and find the big man, but I still wanted her to accompany me doing it.
 
Lousie nodded and said " Sure Cramer I'll come" Lola and Robert were probably asleep by now and she wasnt doing anything other than reading she wouldn't mind tagging along with him. She noticed he was holding her hand but she was holding his as well she blushed and laughed " It aint all your fault hun I was holding yours as well I just didnt notice" she got off the couch and said "I dont mind sitting here your nice to talk to and im always willing to listen"
 
''Well good wus really hopin ye would say yeah, placing my hand lightly on her lower back. I absentmindedly guide her where we were going, walk back to the annex and Deacon's shop. ''I hope he's still back in his shop and didn't leave yet, if he's not you'll thank I'm tryin to git ye alone.''

I hoped the big man was still in his shop, if he wasn't it's going to look like I'm up to something. How was I going to explain this if he wasn't, definitely not wanting to look like creep. I'd just lead her right back to where everyone was, that's it that's just what we'd do.

''If he ain't back right on down here...well...we'll just go right back where everyone is ok? Feeling good that Louise liked holding my hand, she also liked sitting and talking with me. ''I don't say much but once ye git me talkin, you might have a hard time gittin me to shut up.''
 
Louise chuckled "You dont look like the type of guy to do anything like that so im not worried much. Besides I may be small but im known to pack a wallop. I grew up pretty much all around older guy cousins so they were a bit rough with me" she grinned

"I don't say much but once ye git me talkin, you might have a hard time gittin me to shut up.''Cramer said. She laughed and said " I dont mind the talking hun it keeps things calm you can speak as much as youd like" she smiled and patted his hand
 
I listened with a raised brow and grin, I didn't have anything to worry about. ''I like feisty gals but I don't want a ass whoopin, maybe I should be the one to be worryin?'' I took her by the hand as she patted mine, placing my free hand over hers gently. "Well ye just go right on ahead, feel free to talk to me I'll always listen.''

Walking hand in hand it was a nice change, I hadn't related to anyone in quite awhile. I tend to git all tongue tied, stumble over my words and make a fool outta myself. With you I ain't and it's purty cool, I know we just met but I thank yer nice.''
 
Louise laughed " No need to worry I am fiesty but I aint violent a bit im just messing with you ." She said happy she had some else in the knight to talk to besides Lola and Robert. She held his hand walking down the hall and listening to him " Your pretty ok yourself Cramer you aint looking for a quick go at a woman like some guys might be during rhis rough time and I appreciate that. Your a good guy I can tell"
 
Chuckling at her comment about being feisty, it was obvious she was joking with me. ''Well didn't really thank you were Darlin, reckon I have to pull yer leg a lil bit ye know. Wouldn't be any fun if I didn't now would it? Swinging our hands a few moments listening, when she said I'm pretty ok too it felt good. ''I appreciate you saying that about me, my mama raised me up right. Daddy taught me how to treat a lady, don't matter how rough times git all a man has is honor. I try my best to be a good guy.''
 
Louise smiled "Its not anything but the truth Cramer" she said and smiled. " Im glad your father taught you better you are a good guy. I dont mind teasing" she laughed" I myself am quite a jokester ifnim in the right mood . I just been really tense these past few days I can hardly sleep so I just read"
 
Deacon

I smiled at Derry, she was just a wonderful woman and I was glad to have captured a part of her heart,

"Well how about I do it more like a Highlander than a caveman? I be all polite and diplomatic until you cross me and then I will kick your ass."

I ran my fingers through her hair, tugging slightly on them to make her head tilt backwards and nibble on her arched neck,

"And of course my fiery haired lady knows just what an animal the diplomatic Highlander can be behind closed doors."

I gave her soft lips one last kiss, to behonest if there wasn't other pressing matters Derry might have found herself testing the limits of how quiet she could keep...but there was time for that later, that much she had promised. Slowly releasing her hair and stroking gently through them the kiss lasted much longer than it should, when it ended one could see that she had been kissed, I gave her a wink and helped her from the work bench,

"Well let's start with the more important stuff like locking the door as we leave."

I took her hand and did just that as we went off in search of Peter and the better way to mend fences. We found Peter along with Cassandra, it seemed like Cassie had just finished one of her pun attacks, she was smiling, Peter wasn't,

"Peter."

His name made him look in our direction, he blanched and flinched back as I walked closer to him along with Derry, I held up a hand,

"Easy there, I come to smoke 'um peace pipe."

I stopped with in arm's length from him, uncomfortable was not the word, he looked like he could bolt any second, I cleared my throat and softened my voice as much as I could,

"Look man, I'm sorry that I barged in and manhandled you, but from what I know you, Max and Ria are in charge. With Ria gone my mind told me that you'd be most likely to step up if a crisis should arise, much like when Hunter and Bart showed up with the news."

I felt Derry squeezing my hand,

"So when I found the explosives on the truck I wasn't very happy, I came here to find that my work area looked like a tornado had hit it, all the gardening stuff and coveralls was untouched, just where I have been working. Nothing was in it's place and man that pissed me off, I finally lost it when I found the kids playing with an explosive cannister."

I looked at Derry and Cassie, Cassie had changed clothes, but she still had a new air about her, then I looked at Peter,

"So I wanted to make a statement and you were the unlucky recipient."

Peter started something about having had it coming, I raised a hand to stop him,

"I wasn't here when that happened dude, but I would want to say sorry for what I have done. Can you accept my apology?"

I stuck out a hand for him to shake
 
Last edited:
I watched the car accelerate away. My stomach churned. I had just turned down a woman who was honestly interested in me. What on earth was I thinking! In the process I might have lost my only real friend left in the world. Instead of making things better I had just made worse. Much worse. Shaking my head I headed for the truck. I checked my stride wondering if I should scout round inside the compound. It had already been a long day. I decided against it. It would be better with a team. It seemed that life was getting even more dangerous, if that were possible. Looking round it seemed like I should find a more suitable ride. Something that might offer just a bit more protect for me and the street. I found what I was looking for.

http://www.execarmor.com/wp-content/images/Tactical/TLC-APC.jpg

Grabbing the keys from the gatehouse I filled her up along with as many gas cans as I could find. Setting them in the back im rolled slowly to the gates. Pressing my pass against the reader I pressed on through the gates as they opened and headed back to the street.

I couldn't stop thinking of Ria and what she'd done, or Cassandra and what she'd said. You could say a lot about Cassie. She wasn't always perfect but she was a straight up girl, or should that be straight down. She said what she felt, no bullshit, and that was rare. What she said about Ria was true too. She did seem happy with him. But then why do that? It didn't make sense. Then again I've never been any good at reading women. Just look at this afternoon with Cassie. I never saw that coming, and it looks like I never will now. I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts. I needed to short this out, make a decision.

Rounding the corner into the street I pulled past the vee made by the cars and reversed the truck into the gap. Locking it I headed to the SWAT van. Hunter was inside inspecting the weaponry, a smile on his face. When he saw me it vanished. "Have you sorted it out boy?" I told him I hadn't. He just shook his head.

I changed the subject. "We need to get out of here. The city is changing. I saw more gangs roaming in trucks like the ones here a few nights ago. Water and food are going to become scarce soon. Its only a matter of time before we can't defend these people anymore. " It was quiet for a while. Hunter checking ammo boxes, smoke and tear gas canisters, making a count of what we had. Without turning he muttered "Yep, it's time."

He turned "Our only shot will be with the knight group, so you had better short your shit out or stow it kid. Your choice. His voice changed. "The guy you are looking for is Lee, he's the one in the picture. I did some digging while you were with Miss fast-ass." He walked away throwing me the keys.

Locking the van I headed towards my house not looking forward to what I was going to find but it was time to start putting what little life I had back together.
 
Peter, Cassie, Deacon

Peter took Deacon’s hand and shook it. "I accept your apology" he said.

Cassandra was beaming about something … and made a comment “Men saying sorry … unheard of!”


Peter looked to Cassandra “Men say sorry all the time … like … I’m a bad person who did a bad thing, … that is usually followed by groveling, sleeping on the sofa, bouquet of flowers, a sniveling card, and a cuddly toy animal. Men say sorry way more than women!”

Cassandra laughed “Women say sorry WAY MORE … In fact one study I read … said the 7th most popular thing we are sorry for … is saying the word “sorry”! Beat that!”

Deacon looked over to Peter “She does have a point”

Peter continued the argument “Saying sorry … and meaning it … are two different things. Saying sorry for saying sorry too much is just stupid”

“Well whatever you call it … we say it a lot. And I think you two” she looked at peter and deacon “… should hug now”

Peter and Deacon looked at each other.

“That is not happening!!” they both said at the same time.

Cassie was laughing now … and soon Peter and Deacon were too.

When they all stopped Cassie said “Let’s all get some sleep … tomorrow we’ll need a scouting team to head out to the winery. Oh and Deacon I’ll need to ask you how someone “broke” into your work area.”

Everyone agreed and Cassie had to her regular sleeping area. She slept great that night dreaming of driving her new car all over southern Oregon!
 
Cassie

In the morning, when I got up … it was gloomy. I looked out the windows on the second floor and it was cloudy, with overcast skies and cooler temperatures. Low-altitude stratus clouds were from the ocean, transported by the wind over us. There was a slight drizzle.

“June Gloom” I said to myself … although it was not June. I headed down to the coffee area and poured myself some. The first sip … worked wonders. I had noticed that I now rose at sunrise or gloom rise like today. Before the zombie event … When I worked at the strip club and I hardly ever got up this early. Now it seemed routine. I hoped the weather was not a sign about how bad the days was going to go.

I saw peter … and walked over to him. Peter’s face had a big bruise on it where deacon had slapped him. He smiled at me.

“Ready for the scouting mission to the winery?” He asked.

“Sure … do I get to drive the cute little tank?” I asked

“I wish you did not say things like that … which are designed to drive people crazy” Peter pointed out.

“So do get to drive the APC?” I asked more correctly.

“Yes” He said and then added “SSGT Washington will be with you, manning the turret and Lt Ski will be on the radio. The others will be following in one of the other vehicles … I think one of the trucks … but I’m not sure. Please remember to be extra diplomatic if there are people at the winery. We will need their permission to move to that location.”

“Got it … so if they give me any trouble… I’ll fire a TOW missile up their ass!” I said. Peter was not amused by my joke.

“Just joking peter … lighten up!” I kidded him. I went to get my “Rambina” gear on … this time I wore a black leather jacket over the spaghetti strap shirt and cargo pants with all the pockets since it was raining outside. I put my bow, quiver full of arrows, and my machete in my machete holder. I holstered my 9 mm hand gun on my thigh. When to the refrig and got some more pickles. And I had found a good hunting knife which hung from my belt now. I checked to make sure that the flame thrower was filled and in the APC ... ready to go.

As I saw everyone else assembling, I grab a pickle and stuck it in my mouth and walked over.

“Goooooooood morning Oregon! Its 0700 hours. What does the "O" stand for? O my God, it's early! I said trying to do my best Robin William impression. They all looked at me like i was insane.

I change to Apocalypse Now

"Smell that? You smell that?" I ask Lt Ski

"What?" She said

"Pickle juice, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that." I said "I love the smell of pickle juice in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that vingear smell, the whole hill. Smelled like ...

Smelled like pickle juice ... smells like victory!" I said


Lt Ski looked at me "You are really losing it ..."


Stop your whining Lt … until we get to the winery!” I answered smoking the pickle in my mouth like General Patton.
 
Ria

Getting ready and some news ...


Daylight seeped in around the edges of the curtains when I opened my eyes. So a new day had started. I wasn't ready for it.

Warily I took my phone, prepared to be disappointed. my heart jumped when I saw two messages; one from my daughters and one from Kurt, the german microbiologist husband of my friend.

My daughters told me they were alright. I wrote them I was alright too. Without talking about it we had stopped telling each other we loved us and to take care. We had done that on the first days. We had said our goodbyes several times too. It kind of hurt too much to keep doing it.

Kurt actually had sent me two messages; one to tell me had pulled some strings and I now was on a super secret, super powerful german government thingy instead of on my provider's system and would be able to communicate with him and others for as long as I could power up my phone. Well, not only I, this message was addressed to as many people as the second one was.

The second one took me quite a while to understand, it was full of medical gibberish, but at the end I thought I got it.

I dressed quickly, made a run to the bathroom and then to the sickbay. Lola and Edna were tending to the ill. Some patients were recovering well, some still had fever, but all were much better than the day before. Lee too. And so I sat with him.

He didn't want to talk to me.

"He is angry," Edna said soothingly as she came over to us. "I don't know why, he was ill. All is going well, but Martin and Norah used almost all the IVs we had. Dan helped Norah to refill the empty bags with boiled water and some salt and vitamins. Norah reckoned, that as long as we use those only for people with Napoleon, no harm will be done because she couldn't sterilize the bags. "It will add some more germs for the virus to battle," she said." Edna stroked Lee's cheek. Only because his hands were still bound to the bed frame, he didn't slap her hand away. His whole posture was that of a very angry man in agony about what he had done. "You need a rest, dear. Don't fret over spilled water." She turned her head towards me and, in what she thought was a whisper, told me Lee had been tossing and turning since his fever subdued and had tried to keep them from caring for him.

Lee had kept his head turned to the wall and his eyes shut while Edna talked.

"I've news from the Germans, Lee. About the virus and something else. Open your eyes and listen!" I had no time for his feelings, much had to be done today. The stubborn boy kept his eyes shut. "Dammit, Lee! Don't pull a Peter on me! I understand you feel guilty but the only thing you should feel guilty about is the fact you didn't tell anyone when you started to feel unwell. That was the moment you could have reacted to what was happening to you. But I think you missed that moment because you were too busy."

"I damm well was too fucking busy!" He exploded. "I was busy killing people!"

"So were the Germans!" I shot at him. "And with a better result than you had. They had to kill five soldiers because they turned zombies. Because it is not the virus that turns you but some spores! Spores of a plant, a mushroomy plant!"

All lucid people in the room turned their eyes on me. The non-lucid but awake ones did the same.

"I've sent Kurt's paper to your phone, maybe you make more sense of it than I could, but what I understood is the two work in combination. Just the virus makes you ill. Just the spores don't do much to you, unless you inhale a lethal dose. Then the virus kicks in and stops your body from dying completely. They found the spores on clothes and the skin of the zombies they captured and had volunteers inhale them. In different doses. Those who got the highest doses all went completely paranoid, some died from agitation, some were only nuts, but only five turned, and those five had already volunteered for the Napoleon virus. Read it, and tell me if I am right!"

Open-mouthed he stared at me.

"Print it. Please. We need those papers! Inhale? You are sure about that? Absolutely? Hand them to Derry. They are fucking immoral to do such tests! Nazis!"

He went on for a while like that until I cut him off.

"How do you know they are the only ones who tested it on humans? What tells you the CDC isn't doing the same? Some of the persons whom they fed the spores to, didn't react at all though. Even one who got one of the highest doses. So Kurt and his people think it is possible a certain percentage of humans is immune to the spores too." I sighed.

"What time?" Lee hissed.

"Around six thirty," I told him after I glanced at my watch.

"No, I mean how long until one turns?"

"I don't remember I read that, " I told him. "Why is that important? People at the stadium and reports from other states and countries told us people show signs of agitation, nervousness at first and then a bit later, are easily provoked, tend to violence shortly before they turn ... I assume we are going to live in a very polite society from now on. Everyone who acts agitated and violent without a real reason will be under suspicion of turning zombie immediately, I think."

He nodded once.

"Print those papers. And take a handful of masks when you go out. Wear them. Get gas masks." Now it was my turn to nod once.

"How do you feel?" He asked me silently.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Okay. Healthy. Healthier than ever somehow. I am tired, worn, but more in my mind than in my body. The scratches are healing nicely already. As are Deacon's and Cramer's. None of us shows signs of infection at the wounds. They aren't even red nor do they itch ..."

A bit helpless I looked at him. I felt guilty for being as healthy as I was with so many ill around me.

"What are you doing today?"

"Scout the Winery. We decided to relocate yesterday night. I could use something as a gift, I think. It would be a good idea to not show up empty handed if there are people living there."

"Take some aspirin and bandages. Masks, we have enough. I don't think they would be impressed if you brought them wine and flowers."

A bitter smile showed on his face a moment. I thought it reflected the one on my face. Happy days were over. I pondered what else I could take. Clothes? It was a hotel. They would have clothes enough, for the moment at least. Blankets, sheets, food, wine, spirits, all things they would have enough of. Books. Some of the books I had collected in my room. About curing leather, making soap, healing herbs. Along with some aspirin and masks it would be a nice gift for a first meeting.

A quarter of an hour later I had a nice, not too small, but not relay big either, clear plastic box filled with goodies and put it beside the door. I made tea, had cornflakes and milk for breakfast, finished dressing by putting on my belts with my machetes and marched to the door. Dan intercepted me.

"Here, I hope it is as good as the one you lost." He handed me a new catapult. Bigger, reinforced at the fork, and with extra elastics dangling from it. I thanked him, and trying how far the elastics would stretch I continued my way. My thoughts were with John, whom I had visited quickly after I left Lee. He was doing fine, he said. His arm hurt, but he could move his fingers.

"The smell, you know that vingear smell, the whole hill. Smelled like ...

Smelled like pickle juice ... smells like victory!" I heard Cassie say. Wondering I stopped. The rest of the conversation between Cassie and Ski didn't make more sense to me than those words.

I reached in the little bag dangling at my belt. Handed everyone a mask.

"Lee wants us to wear these when we are outside," I told them and explained what Kurt had found.
 
Deacon

Somehow I made it to Derry's room and once I hit the bed, I can't remember much else. I did wake up with a very sexy body wrapped around me and that made me glad once more that I had found her, she accepted me and supported me, there was no compromise from her side. I just had to adjust myself to think about her as well. I lay there, staring at the ceiling, feeling her sleepy breathing and soft breath as it washed over my shoulder and neck. I heard movement outside, slowly and gently I slipped from under Derry and slipped into my pants...when did I take them off? Did I even take them off? Was I really THAT tired? Answer was yes and I realized why, because the adrenaline released when I got angry and I attacked those guards and manhandled Peter and Danny, most probably when that adrenaline seeped out I was tired and just passed out.

I was busy slipping into my shirt, when the door opened a crack,

"Derry? They are getting ready to go to the winery."

I didn't recognize the voice, probably one of the people I haven't met yet, i whispered back,

"I'll wake her and tell her."

There was a short silence,

"Thanks"

The door closed again, I went over to Derry and gently shook her awake,

"Morning there sleepy head, they say that the group that's going to the winery is getting ready. You will have to hurry."

I gave her a kiss and then left, after a few questions I found Ria along with the rest of the people about to leave for the winery.

"Ria? A moment please when you're done?"

I waited for her a few paces away, leaning against the wall,

"I heard rumors that we are running low on medical supplies. I want to go out and get it."

I paused,

"The catch is that I want to go out alone. I need to get away from this for a brief moment. I know it's dangerous and you will probably would want to stop me from doing something this stupid, but I REALLY need to get out."

I held up a hand,

"Alone I also have a much better chance of sneaking around. I have learned how to do that since I learned to walk. I am just asking you for a list of what you need and your blessing so to speak. Otherwise I will just slip out anyway. Please Ria."

Of course it sounded like suicide, but after that bout of anger the previous day, I really needed some alone time, somewhere where nobody could interrupt me and that I knew I'd find outside of the Knight.
 
Back
Top