The King and I (closed)

“It’s not my fault you’re too cheap to install an elevator at the palace.” Charlie said with a sleepy grin as she felt Dave’s arm wrap around her.

She was quiet for a long moment, listening to the wind outside the window and the sounds that Dave made as he settled in for a night’s sleep.

“Dave?” She asked softly, her hand pressed against his chest. “I was thinking that maybe tomorrow we might…go on a date?”
 
He was slowly dozing off when she asked her question, he thought about it, he just hoped that his reply wasn't as slurred as his mind was feeling,

"Is that before or after the flight? We are starting the visitation tomorrow right?"
 
Charlie nodded as he asked about the visitation. “After, maybe? I can put it on the schedule.” She said, knowing that it sounded incredibly unromantic to have to schedule a date with a man that she loved.
 
He scoffed softly, wrapping his other arm around her,

"We will go on a date, no scheduling needed."

He smiled,

"Just wear that little red number you wore at the opening of the new hospital."

He of course meant the red minidress she had worn, the open back and rather low neckline was covered up with the black jacket that came with it. He did not know if the actually fit together and if that was one of her little chop and changes which she seemed so fond of.
 
Charlie opened an eye and looked at Dave as he mentioned the red dress that she’d worn when he opened the new hospital in town last year. It had been one of her favorites, but a little scandalous for the occasion. Her black jacket had been just the thing to make sure the attention was one the soon to be king and not on his assistant.

“With or without the jacket?” She asked, giggling at the look that he gave her. “I think I have something that you might like better. I suppose I’ll have to bring it along tomorrow then.”
 
"Oh? You have something even better? Now that I have to see. Why not bring both? I'm sure I can handle more than one date."

He grinned and ran his fingers through her silky hair,

"Without the jacket you would freeze."

He yawned and started to really fade fast,

"Goodnight Charlie."
 
“I thought you said freezing was good for my bum.” She said cheekily. Another soft kiss delivered to his cheek and soon she was drifting off along with him.

“Goodnight, my sweet prince.” She said softly, curling up against his warmth as the wind howled outside.
 
bzzzzzzzzzzzz....bzzzzzzzzz.....

Dave snorted in derision,

BZZZZZZZZZZ....BZZZZZZZZZ.....

The more he woke up, the louder the buzzing sound became, then it turned from a buzzing to a more manageable sound, yet one he didn't want to hear. It was the alarm on his watch going off again, he opened his eyes and found that during the evening he had become quite entangled with Charlotte. He managed to sort out their limbs and silence his watch. He plopped back into his cushions, rubbing his palms over his face,

"Man I'm going to resign as captain and go on permanent holiday."
 
“Ugh, I’m going to have to get a watch with a more cheerful alarm.” Charlotte mumbles as she feels the bed shift. Turning onto her side, she smiles as she sees Dave trying to wake up.

“Morning, grumpy.” She said, kneeling on the bed and pressing a kiss to his cheek. “I get the shower first.”

She grinned as she grabbed her robe from the nearby chair and scurried into the warm bathroom, staring the shower and thinking about the handsome man that was currently sitting in her bed. The very thought put a silly smile on her face and as she stripped from her night clothes and stepped beneath the spray, she thought about how everything suddenly felt right.
 
"Hey there lovely."

He watched as she scurried for the bathroom and leaned against the headboard, lacing his fingers behind his head as he looked around at her room. It was all precise and neat, much like Charlotte was, but it had a definate feminine touch. He got up and went over to a table, on it stood photos and he stooped to study them.
 
Stepping beneath the spray, Charlotte sighed as the warm water caressed over her body. She was quick about her showers, a quick wash of her hair and body and she was stepping from the water a few moments later. Wrapping a towel around her body, she pulled her robe back over her shoulders and stepped from the bathroom, combing out her hair.

She paused as she saw Dave studying the photos in her bedroom. She watched him for a long moment, wondering what he thought now that he’d noticed that most of the photographs were of her and him. A few were scattered in of her grandparents, her brother, but it mostly had to do with him.

“I’m not a crazy stalker, you know.” She said softly, a bit of nerves showing through as she saw his back straighten at the sound of her voice.
 
He had not heard her enter and her voice took him by surprise, he looked over his shoulder at her,

"That was rather quick, did you remember to wash behind your ears?"

He flashed her a smile and picked up a photo, tapping it with a forefinger,

"I remember this day, graduation. I was shipped off to boot camp the next day. Only now I notice that you smiled, yet your eyes did not. You looked...sad? Forlorn?"
 
Charlotte moved beside him and looked at the picture that he held in his hands. He was so happy that day and yet she hadn’t been. She could see it in the way that she smiled and the sad look in her eyes.

“I didn’t want you to go.” She said softly, taking the photo from his hands and looking it over she herself. “I was worried sick that you’d be sent off to battle. I mean, so many of our friends had already died and I thought that you would be next.”

She turned her gaze towards his and gave him a sheepish smile. “That’s why I was so skinny when you can back for the holiday break. I could barely eat.”

"That and you were all over that tramp from Aldin. What was her name....Candy? What kind of name is Candy?" She started, changing the subject and a hint of jealousy colored her voice.
 
He looked at her and nodded,

"Candy. Hey at that time Candice had quite a taste in guns, if you recall so did I. It took me to sit with a few meetings with my father to realize that there was more to life than to bash somebody over the head when you're king."

He smiled,

"I doubt that I would have been sent off to combat. Back then I was not as valuable as now, but I still was not somebody they could risk losing."

He ran a hand over her damp hair,

"At least you did seem to regain your more healthier eating habits."
 
“Candice was just a hanger on. She wanted you for your money, not because you liked guns.” Charlie said, looking up at Dave as he smiled and ran his hand over her hair.

“Besides, you were heading off into the great unknown…a world full of possibilities…and I was stuck here.” She said, placing the picture back down on the table and giving him a smile when he mentioned her eating habits.

“I think it was the best day of my life when your mother offered me my job.” She shrugged as if it were no big deal. “It became my duty to keep you and your brother and your sisters all in line and on time. You were the easiest out of all of them. Your sisters still have a little bit of rebellion in them.”
 
He chuckled,

"Of course I am, had to do drilling duties and that tends to get some responsibility into your head. Failure to co-operate will lead to the punishment of not only you, but also the people around you. Basically how it is in real life."

He smiled,

"But you are better than a drill sergeant and a damn lot prettier as well."
 
Charlotte laughed softly. “Uh oh. I think Donovan has a crush.” She teased, her voice sounding a sing song manner. “Donovan and Charlotte sitting in a tree, k-I-s-s-I-n-g…”

She took the opportunity to look her arm around his neck and bring his lips down to hers. She kissed him with a passion that surprised even herself, a soft sigh issuing forth as the kiss deepened.
 
He wrapped his arms around her as she kissed him, kissing her deeply, holding her against him. He sighed softly, she felt so damned good, how did he not notice it when they had danced, when they had shared a bed on so many cold nights? Had he been blind all this time, because he thought that she only thought of him as a friend? He could be so daft at times. When the kiss finally broke he smiled at her,

"First come love and then come marriage."

He grinned,

"Then comes Charlotte with twins in a carriage."
 
“Twins?” Charlotte asked, laughing softly as he smiled down at her. “Most certainly not. Having twins would ruin the butt you were so enamored with last night.”

“Maybe one at a time. I can see three…maybe four children. Running around my new estate.” She gently ran her hands over the muscles in his chest, resting her palms there for a long moment. “The only question is…will you be there too?”
 
He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her lips softly,

"As much as I can be, even if you do not marry me, I will be there."

He grinned suddenly,

"Somebody's got to teach them how to make you run after them and keep fit."

He stole another kiss and headed for the bathroom,

"Showering time for me, think we're running late already."
 
She would never have imagined that Dave could be so romantic and loving and the very thought made her heart soar with excitement. This was really happening, she told herself. She was in the running to marry her best friend. The thought was frightening since he was a king of all things, but the more that she spent time with him, the more that the idea grew on her a little more.

While he was in the shower, Charlie dressed in her typical fashion. A black skirt hugged over her curved hips and a pale pink blouse gave her a soft edge. She pulled her wet hair back into a becoming style and placed the rose he’d given her the night before in her bun for added flare. A pair of sensible heels and she set out to get a dress sorted out for their date that evening.
 
After the shower he went back into the room, luckily he had sense enough to fold the clothing neatly, so that it would not have looked too shabby when he got to the palace. He glanced at his watch, it was old, it was rugged, perhaps he had to get himself a new one, one with a better alarm? He smiled, of course there was no other alarm and to search for such a novelty would just cost money. Actually he liked this old thing, it had seen him through a lot of things, just like old Max. He feared the day that Max would have to be put down, but so far the old guy was still keeping well and that pleased him to no ends.

After slipping on his jacket, he toyed with the idea of putting on the tie, but instead slipped it into his jacket's pocket, no need to get all dressed up if he was going to change anyway. He flicked the shirt's collar down over the jacket's and pulled his shirt's cuffs straight. He found her already fussing over her clothing for the trip,

"I'll meet you at the palace then?"
 
Glancing over her shoulder as Dave spoke, she gave him a smile and nodded. “I’ll be there in about an hour. Make sure the porter has a bag packed for you. I told him to do it yesterday.” She said, reminding him that they were going on a trip and it was important that he have the proper clothing to wear.

“And don’t fill up too much on breakfast. We’re suppose to have lunch early with the ambassador.” Charlie didn’t mean to be so bossy, but keeping Dave on track was her business.

“And a kiss before you leave.” She said, laughing softly as she tipped her chin towards him.
 
He chuckled,

"Ah the royal duties as deligated by the lovely duchess de Leon have been increased."

He walked over to her, gently turned her aroun and pulled her close, leaning in to kiss her softly, pullingher tightly against him as he kissed her. When they finally drew away from each other he couldn't help but smile.

"Some duties are so much more interesting and delightful than the other."

He grinned and let her go,

"See you later then."

He headed for the door and moments later he was on his way back to the palace, the early morning streets still very quiet.
 
“Hmmm…I dream of the day that I no longer have to boss you around.” Charlie said, laughing softly as his lips pressed against her softly and his arms wrapped around her body and pulled her close. She curled her fingers against his shirt and sighed as he finally drew away.

“I’ll meet you at the palace.” She said softly as she watched him turn and leave, a long sigh leaving her lips. She wished that he didn’t have to run off but she knew that she would see him again very soon.

With another change of clothes packed, her makeup kit, and the red dress he had requested, Charlie was soon packed into her car and on the way to the palace, intent on getting Dave off on his journey without a hitch. It was her duty, after all.
 
Back
Top