Autumn Valley (IC)

Renee

“Heh, alright then Sophia,” Renee recovered quickly enough, her gaze darting towards where she was pointing, mostly in instinct. Luckily enough she missed anything the woman’s attire was revealing, not that Renee would have an innate desire to look, not like any male with a hint of a libido. With that sweet smile Renee turned on her heels and stuffed several chocolate dipped madeleines into a paper sack, taking as great a care as she had done with Luke’s only moments ago. She returned with the bag along with the tea.

“Here yah go,” She said brightly, placing the bag onto the counter along with the insulated cup. “I hope you enjoy it and your day isn’t too busy…I mean…well. I guess if it was really busy you would…uh…I’m gonna shut up…” She tripped over herself again, silently cursing even as she looked up at the handsome man with gray eyes. If he noticed the awkwardness she seemed to be simply spewing forth today he was polite enough not to make it known.
 
Sig at the counter with Renee and Sophia.

Sig's smile grew slightly wider noticing the girl behind the counter as she slightly bobbed here and there in saying a goodbye to Sophia. The black haired man had to agree with her hypothesis concerning just how much Sophia would enjoy a busy day.

Moving up to the counter the smile slowly left for a moment but his face remained warm as he quickly eyed the menu.

"Can I have just a coffee and one of your Cinamon roll please. I heard they're quite the perfect little remedy to complement a nice morning like this." He said as his eyes gazed at her. She was definitely a pretty little thing and seemed quite young to be running the shop by herself but it looked like she had stuff well in hand.
 
Kayla

Kayla had been a fixture of this town since it's inception, and had seen many festivals in her long years here. This one promised to be a particularly splendid one. Her flowers had never looked prettier, the flowing mixture of reds, yellows and oranges blended together beautifully, and the smell. She could just sit here and inhale their aroma for hours. She often did as she went about tending the gardens.

The Dryad stood up from the dirt in the Mason Square with a satisfied smile on her pale lips. For the last hour she had been perfecting the surrounding flowerbeds, making sure they looked their best for the festival. She brushed her whispy red hair back and looked around. The square hadn't changed much since it was set here those couple hundred years ago, except for the flowers. Kayla had made this place her own each year, planting different colours and shapes.

As time had passed at the usual rate, the square had become busier, as the preparations continued with urgency. Many people spotted her and waved, and she would smile warmly back and bow her head to each one. Young males gawked at her near nakedness, the way the leaves that covered her body twisted and moved alluringly, never quite revealing but always promising. She had always loved living here, the people were always so friendly.

So what to do now? Every year was the same, she would begin the preparations in spring, carefully cultivating till she was happy with it, and then it'd reach the day and she would have no work left to do. She gazed up at the massive Wicker man being built and shuddered at the thought of the thing on fire. Ofcourse all the proper safety procautions would be taken, but still, it filled her with a sense of dread. But she had to admit, all the decorations were looking splendid, everyone was pulling out all the stops. She circled round the square, almost floating over the cobblestones, a light skip coming naturally to her walk...
 
Luke smiled, accepted the change and nodded. He did want to embarrass the poor girl any further. Turning around, he nearly bumped into Sophia Jensen and bowed his head apologetically. "Beg your pardon." He had celebrated his 21st birthday at The Black Cat. The first time he'd ever gotten drunk and he made a complete fool of himself. All the worse because of his lycanthropy. It took two bouncers and a spell from Sophia herself to get him off the bar when he transformed and started dancing. Ever since then, he had only made occasional visits to The Black Cat, mostly delivering cases of cider or pumpkins and berries for the kitchens, and he always made every effort to appear as polite and respectful as possible. Even in a setting like this, he would prefer Sophia remember him as something other than a drunken nuisance of a wolf.

He slipped out of the bakery and opened the box to start eating immediately. He smiled when he saw that Renee had slipped him a few extras. He practically inhaled an entire cannoli in just a few bites, licking his lips as he made his way back to his truck. He would have to make sure to keep this to himself when he got home. Carson would try to snag something without even asking as soon as he smelled the box.

Upon arriving home, Luke made a direct line for his room and locked the door, not letting his brothers get so much as a look at the box. He locked the door and settled in front of his computer. He took bites of pastries in between paragraphs as he worked on another pet project. He was working this time on a novel. Later he'd work on some poetry and another play. As long as he finished with time to spare for the evening festivities on the farm.
 
Another Morning for Cody at the General Store

Cody yawned and reached over to the alarm clock and hit and rolled out of bed. He went down to the floor and quickly knocked out thirty good push ups before walking into the bathroom. He took care of all his hygiene needs including his morning shower, and looked out into this bedroom. It was filled with furniture crudely made from left over lumber and shipping crates. His bed in fact was a large inflatable mattress that rested on a platform of milk crates. With all the repairs and updating he’d done to the store, he’d yet to get to his personal space, and he’d lived there for years now.

Still though he was happy here in Autumn Valley even if he wasn’t completely settled in, and as much as anyone he looked forward to the upcoming festival. He dressed in his usual work attire which included sneakers, socks, and a pair of old blue jeans. He was out of clean General Store t-shirts so he just put on a blue shirt, and smiled at the picture of Beatrice on top of the storage bins. He headed down stairs hitting the lights at the bottom of the stairs illuminating the room. He didn’t see any scurrying about, but that didn’t mean the brownies hadn’t been there the night before like usual.

He did see Abigail his little tiger striped gray and black tabby cat hop down from the counter. She made her way over to him and kneeled down and petted her. “Heard you go down the stairs last night honey I guess you heard our little friends messing about.”

The Petersons had told him about the brownies when he first started living in the store and not to worry. Mrs. Peterson said you just had to leave them enough treats and milk and they would be fine, and for the most part she was right. From time to time they’d try soda or mess about with items in the store. Seemed the little guys couldn’t find one they liked and left two dozen half drunk cans around on the floor. One morning he came down to find a pyramid of priority mail boxes. He actually left it up for a few days since the customers enjoyed looking at it. While they could be a pain they did actually earn their keep. Whenever he left a little project for them they took care of it, and today was no different.

All the boxes of crackers were stacked neatly at the end of the third aisle, and the little fairies had even taken the time to put up the sale sign. In return for the night’s work they had taken every last donut left on the table by the post office section, and drank several bottles of chocolate milk left for them in the small counter top fridge by the register. They also pilfered several snack cakes, but at least now they were throwing the wrappers in the trash. Abigail curled up in her basket beside the register and went to sleep, probably tired after being ridden like a fury little charger.

Cody took care of a few other regular activities for the morning before switching on the neon sign out front. He of course put on the coffee, put out more donuts for those coming to get their mail, and checked the crock pot. He’d started it the night before and it tasted perfectly, so he wrote chicken noodle up on the bored for the soup of the day. He checked is other supplies and found he only had enough rolls for today. He’d have to go to the baker and restock. He liked making everything in the little kitchen area behind the deli counter, but he only had so much time.

He’d run over to the bakery before noon for now though he’d mind the store. He picked up a box of decorations and turned on the open sign and walked outside. He had already put up the signs for the sale on candy for the holiday, but now was the time for the fun stuff. He hung up the jack o'lantern Christmas lights between the pillars warping around the top of the pillars a few times before plugging them in to the extension cord. He put up a few tombstones by the stairs up on to the porch, and after putting up a few smaller items he began swiping. It was a lovely day and soon customers would be dropping in for their odds and ends.
 
Renee

She wasn’t entirely sure what was going on today. Maybe she was just excited that it was festival time, or maybe she was always like this and just didn’t realize it till today. Regardless she tried to compose herself, running another hand through her wild short black hair that was not flecked with flour. How she managed to get so dirty and not ruin the pastries seemed to be a good question to ask, though there was no denying the quality of everything that came from McClain’s. Regardless, Renee offered that same bright smile and energy she had offered everyone else, even if she didn’t know Sig’s name on sight.

“That they are!” She said cheerfully, before turning to collect his order. The bag and steaming cup were set before him shortly, before slender brows quirked lightly. He had a slight accent, just enough that it was noticeable. For a moment Renee thought to ask him just where he was from but then thought better of it. She had the taste of boot leather in her mouth already, she didn’t need to make another scene.

It was just then that another figure emerged from the back room, taller and more slender but obviously related to Renee. She had blue eyes and worn her brown hair long and in a loose braid, an apron hung tied about her waist.

“Why don’t you take a break for awhile, Renee,” The woman said in a sweet tone, much to Renee’s surprise. It was only then that she looked at the clock on the wall and noticed the time. She blinked those big, expressive blue eyes before nodding.

“I didn’t realize it was so late,” She offered Sig another smile and nodded as she disappeared into the backroom. The warmth of the stoves and the clutter of dishes and pans kept Renee on her toes. The rest of her family was here, busily preparing pastries and breads for the day and the next. Renee slid past them without a word, snatching up her hoodie and busting through the backroom. The air felt cool after being confined in the bakery for so long. With a deep breath she collapsed down onto a stack of nearby pallets, watching a cat slink past. For the moment she simply savored the outdoors, letting her gaze adjust to the bright light and letting her mind wander
 
Last edited:
@The Bakery

"Quite all right, Luke." Yes, Sophia remembered his name. She inhaled deeply. Damned wolves and their pheromones. Shame he didn't come around more often. Despite his inappropriate behavior on his birthday, she was fairly sure that was an aberration.

Smile smiled at Renee. The poor girl just dug herself in deeper and deeper. It was a good thing Sophia was secure about her profession.

She sat facing the windows at one of the small tables along the side of the bakery. She savored her first bite of the Madeleine. It was probably time for her to reread Proust.

@General Store

Teagan bounced into the General Store and over to the mailboxes to get the mail for the farm. Mo sauntered in behind her.

"Yo, Cody," They both said at the same time. Their voices blended well together. Teagan was a Mezzo with a pretty wide range, Mo was an alto and generally tried to pitch her voice a little lower. It didn't make her sound anymore like a guy, it made her sound sexy, but she hadn't caught on to that. Where Teagan was cute, Mo would probably be extremely sexy if she ever decided to actually dress like a girl. Although, there was something very sexy about her in general. If you liked tattoos and piercings. Probably because she had more sexual experience than Teagan.

Teagan had a few boyfriends in highschool. Her most recent carried over from senior year until just a few months ago. He left her band to tour with a Queen cover band. She didn't know what made her angrier, that he left her or the band. And with so little remorse.

"I see you're decorated for the festival. Looks good. Are you closing early so you can jump right in and enjoy everything tonight?" Teagan asked. She picked up a few things they needed back at the farm.
 
Jacob had expected a simple 'Good day, citzen' or some other self-righteous stereotypical response, but the one he had recieved instead froze him in his tracks. He turned, his brow furrowing as he considered her features. Red hair, beautiful blue eyes...those were all still very much the same, but as for the rest of her, well...puberty had been kind. She was no longer the cute, skinny redhead, the woman standing before him was drop-dead gorgeous and curvy in all the right places. Even more shocking than her physical transformation was the uniform she wore, and his eyes lingered for a moment on the badge pinned to her chest.

Before he had learned to exert some manner of control over the Passenger's influence he had been prone to bouts of insubordination, mischief and rebellion. Her comment roused the memory of one such occasion, in which a young Jacob had thought it humorous to shave a cat with a pair of clippers and coat it in barbecue sauce before letting it loose in one of the local farmer's dog kennels. He'd been scratched all to hell in the process, but the comedic value was priceless. The farmer hadn't seen it in the same light, and that night had been one of many he'd spent in a holding cell in the Autumn Valley Sheriff's Department.

A grin threatened the corners of his lips as he squared his shoulders towards her and met her confident gaze with one of his own. She looked damn good in that uniform, but he still wasn't sure what to think about what it represented. "Kinda hard to do when you're banned from ever buying barbecue sauce in this town again...a cruel punishment indeed, doomed to a life of flavorless meat..."

The smile broke out across his lips as he looked her up and down again. "Damn Fiona...it's been a long time. You never were the type to take crap from anyone, now I suppose its official. You look good...how've you been?"
 
Last edited:
Fiona

Those brilliant blue eyes took in the sight of the man before her, seeing what time and maturity had done to him. She had to admit, at least inwardly, that time had been very kind; the scrawny but spirited boy had grown into a dashingly handsome man. Yet those cornflower blue eyes did not betray her, nor did that smirk of a smile. She stood her ground, neither giving nor taking an inch as they seemed to square off before the general store. Fiona simply held that gaze though it seemed that he broke first, at least in the woman’s mind.

She didn’t retort to his obvious sarcastic comment, nor did she display any particular emotion either way. If she was glad to see the man she had known since childhood, well, she had a weird way of showing it. But to Fiona that was a different time and she had been a different person then. The look she gave him hinted at the recognition though it didn’t show if she was glad to see him or the opposite. It wasn’t until he spoke again that she seemed to react. Slowly her hands moved, the left coming to rest upon the grip of her collapsible metal baton while the right raised to tap the silver badge.

“That’s Deputy Alden, or Officer if you prefer;” Her voice was strong and firm, yet held a certain huskiness that couldn’t be denied. “I wasn’t aware you were let back in town. Staying with your grandparents again?”

Fiona was blunt and to the point, her tone holding little to imply her mood. The hand that had tapped her badge rose further and slid the cap from her head, that short mane wafting in the breeze as she did. A few thick strands fell about her angular visage; it seemed the longest part was her bangs that reached to her chin and got shorter it went back. It was a brief moment, though the sun caught brightly upon those crimson locks and set them ablaze. She never once tried to answer his questions or show any part of common courtesy. Slowly she began to move though, her strides slow and fluid, those shapely hips swaying with each step which was made all the more obvious by the thick leather belt that held her duty gear.

“Last I recall they hauled you off to boarding school. You were a wild child hell bent on doing whatever you please without giving a damn about anyone else.” Her voice held that tone as she approached, if she was threatening in her demeanor it wasn’t on accident. “Things in Autumn Valley don’t change all that fast, ‘Cob,” She said the name with its intended sarcasm, those blue eyes meeting his own intently as she approached, “And I make sure that the peace is kept, here me? I take it seriously too…” Fiona seemed to want to continue but at this moment she was standing before him in a manner some might find disconcerting.
 
Town Square Garden

Sam was trotting across the square towards his destination when he did an almost cartoonish double take. He registered something in his peripheral vision as he passed the garden and upon closer inspection he found a lovely sight indeed. A girl, looking for all the world as Eve must have looked as she explored paradise for the first time. He found himself moving again. His eyes never leaving her as he walked around the edge of the garden to get closer to her. The urge to whistle for her attention struck him but he didn't want to be so crude and yelling across the busy square didn't suit him either.

Standing with his arms crossed infront of him he admired the girls work as well as her form. As she bent and kneeled, tending her flowers he had to turn away lest he lose his composure. When she skipped off to admire her handiwork he walked in the opposite direction to circle towards her. The darkness of his complexition and attire was almost a stain upon the bright and colorful flowers but the smile he gave the girl when he finally caught her eyes was inviting and warm. "You've done a beautiful job. Hi. I'm Sam. I'm a little new to town but still I regret not having met you before now. "
 
Sig gave the cute girl at the counter a disarming smile as he collected his coffee and food. He barely managed to say thanks before someone else came and relieved her of her station so Sig made a note to properly thank her the next time he was in the bakery.

Sig paused for a moment when he spotted Sophia at a table overlooking the windows and decided to see if she would mind some company. "Mind if I linger around you a little longer. You seem to know most of the people here so I figure best way to make new friends would be to stay close if you don't mind some company." Sig said with a faintly nervous smile. It was one thing to just chat up with someone waiting in line, another to go seat with them. He wasn't lying about wanting to be around someone who was in with the people but he wouldn't say he minded at all if that someone was as pretty as Sophia.
 
Kayla and Sam @Mason Square/Wickerman

Kayla's eyes drifted to the young man before her and she smiled her normal sweet smile. As their paths crossed, she bowed her head slightly and then looked up to meet his eyes. "Thank you kindly Sam. I am Kayla. I must admit I have noticed you around town but had yet to speak to you which is most unlike me." she giggled lightly, "I make a habit of trying to know everybody." The man was sweet, she liked sweet men.

"So tell me Mister Sam, what's your trade here in our quaint little village?" She asked, eager for information on a new arrival.
 
Sam & Kayla @Mason Square/Wickerman

A bow, how very formal he thought. He could play along. It seemed like fun which was always his number one priority. He returned her bow with one of his own, right arm across his waist, left outstretched behind his back, leg stretched out behind him as if he were at a queens court. Had he been wearing a hat he would have doffed it as well. Standing once more his grin spread even wider and a new light appeared in his olive colored eyes.

"I, Kayla, haven't really got a trade at the moment. I do odd jobs as I find them. Although they are quite scarce at the moment. Mostly I entertain myself." Kneeling down next to her flowers, he beckoned her to join him with a gesture of his hand. "That is not to say I am without talents though." With the same hand he stretched it over a group of gaily colored flowers. Opening his fist, palm facing down, a shower of water fell over the blooms as if he held a tiny raincloud in his palm. Closing his fist, the water stopping instantly, he watched her reaction. He rarely let anyone see the things he could do but thought if anyone could appreciate it then she could.

"And please...It's just Sam. How about you. Have you lived here long?"
 
Sam & Kayla @Mason Square/Wickerman

Kayla giggled lightly at the over the top formality, she couldn't quite tell if he was mocking her but his smile seemed earnest enough. She took a seat on the edge of the flowerbed, clearly not minding the dirt as it pressed against her shapely bottom. She watched, wide-eyed, as Sam demonstrated one of his abilities, and she applauded when he stopped. "I'm impressed, I'm sure you'll find plenty of work here."

She paused, thinking about his question. "I keep this land beautiful.." she said whistfully, looking round proudly at her flowerbed. "And yes, you could say I've lived here a long time..." She offered no more, not yet anyway. It was clear that she wasn't exactly human but people tended to get a little wary of someone who has lived hundreds of years. "Are you looking forward to the festival?" she asked.
 
Kayla & Sam @Mason Square/Wickerman

He smiled again at her reaction. Atleast someone in this town didn't think he was trouble waiting to happen...yet. Seating himself beside Kayla , he dried his palm on his pants leg> With one foot planted firmly in the soil, raising his knee in the air, he stretched his other leg between the rows of flowers. Slightly angle towards her to give her his full attention. "I don't know how much work that trick will bring me. I think a sprinkler would be faster."

Placing his arms behind him, using them as support as he reclined a bit. "Well it is a beautiful town, as is it's caretaker. As to the festival...I'm not really sure. I don't know what to expect out of a month long celebration. All I can picture is maybe a hayride which would be boring without company. Since you've experienced them before, perhaps you could show me around this evening? Unless you already have an escort or other plans?" His face showed he was sincere and hoped she would agree. He hadn't made any friends in town so far. just a few aquaintances.
 
Jacob should have seen it coming a mile away. He'd let his defenses down for but a moment, caught up in the nostalgia her words had triggered, in the recollection of the memories of the all but forgotten past that he had for years repressed. Well, not forgotten by all, so it seemed. She had sensed the opening and immediately struck, as any good law enforcement officer was trained to do. She'd had the natural instincts for the job even as a child from what he could remember, she had never been one to be trifled with. She reaffirmed as much with her confident words, and defined the nature of their association in no uncertain terms with the insistence that he address her by rank.

It was as if Jacob was a solitary wolf, coming upon the territory of an established pack and nipping at the heels of it's Alpha. She had snapped back, letting him know exactly who it was that protected this town, and that challengers to her authority would be met with force.

Mmmm...I like this one...she's...fiery...

Jacob reacted to her display of dominance much as he would have ten years ago; back straightened, shoulders squared, the easy smile that had begun to show across his lips fading into an arrogant smirk. His jaw clenched in reaction to the Passanger's interjection, and although he did not disagree with it's sentiments, he didn't appreciate the interruption. He'd need to be on his toes with this one, and the last thing he needed was for it to be uttering it's infernal commentary over his thoughts.

Jacob's eyes lit up as she removed her cover. He'd always had a thing for natural redheads, and the well-trimmed crimson mane that framed her features only further contributed to her already breathtaking beauty. That look of approval disappeared as she closed the distance between them with a confident gait, but it had lingered long enough to betray his desire under the Deputy's scrutinizing gaze. He held his ground as she approached and squared off with him there on the sidewalk outside of the General Store, her natural air of authority clashing against the bulwark of his rebellious defiance.

His tone conveyed a hint of sarcasm, even as he offered truthful answers to her inquiries. "I am staying at my grandfolk's place, and I wasn't aware that I needed permission in order to return." He wasn't exactly proud of what he had done in his youth, but he also wasn't keen on kowtowing to the implied threat behind her promise to keep the peace. "Do you take such a personal interest in the lives of all of Autumn Valley's citizens, Deputy, or is that concern special just for lil' ol' me?"

Pull her into that alley there...she seems the type to appreciate a strong hand...I'll bet she's...

Jacob's eyes tightened for a moment, the only outward sign of the control he exercised to supress the Passenger's commentary. It was becoming more difficult...but he must hold strong, this would be the worst scenario in which to lose control.

"Look, Fi...Deputy...I'm just here to care for my Grandmother. Maybe Autumn Valley doesn't change, but people do. We are both not the same as we were back then...and I ain't lookin' to start trouble."

Damn if she wasn't beautiful, with the sun illuminating those fiery locks. The Passenger had apparently taken a liking to her as well, and would likely redouble it's efforts to assume control whenever he was around her. But Jacob was stronger now, he wouldn't, couldn't, allow that to happen...
 
Sophia & Sig at the Bakery

((Sorry for the delay, seems everyone posted for me in my other threads all at once.))

"Please, do join me, Sig. The place fills up fast, so sharing a table is quite all right." Sophia said. She took another bite of her Madeleine with a blissful expression on her face. "There's no chance that you're read Proust, is there?" One never knew how educated a person was, or what reading material they preferred. In her business it was important to be well-rounded in terms of literature, history, music, current events, and even, although she truly was not interested in the least: sports.

"So...tell me a little about yourself. What made you decide to come to Autumn Valley? We are on a road less traveled." She crossed her legs and dangled one shoe from her toes.



((Should anyone want to read about Proust memory of eating a Medeliene, here it is.))
 
Fiona

Fiona didn’t miss that look in his eyes, the sudden flicker of approval of what he saw before him though it was quick to disappear as she approached. What was there not to like about the woman? At least physically. While she did not have the ample swells and wide, shapely hips of some of the girls at The Black Cat, that slender frame was athletically toned. Even underneath the dark green shirt and silver bade her bust could not be denied, though it was modest in size. Her features were alluring in a natural way, though the look she typically wore made her appear far more severe. Yet this man met that confidence (some might call it over-confidence) with a wall of arrogance, drawing himself up in preparation of her assault. While he did not take it stoically he certainly stood his ground. That smirk that slid so easily across his handsome visage caused her slender brow to twitch if only slightly. That smug look brought with it a sense of nostalgia as well, she remembered just how cocky and sure of himself he could be.

While Fiona didn’t have anything on the man to keep him from leaving that seemed the furthest thing from his mind at the moment. Her nostrils flared briefly as she exhaled through her nose, the cool mask remaining upon her face even as he retorted back with thick sarcasm in his voice.

“Don’t think yourself special. I always keep my eye out for trouble makers. It’s festival season and the bad eggs always love to stink about now,” She said in that cool tone, meeting his sarcastic tone with one of seemingly indifference. The force of this meeting was almost tangible in the air, two forces of nature colliding against one another with monstrous fury. Fiona saw that twitch of his eyes, a tightening at the edges for but a brief moment. While fire might burn in the Deputy’s blood it did not offer any gifts of sight or empathy; whatever Jacob held within himself was as much a mystery to her as anyone else. Instead, she took that twitch as a sign of weakness; blood in the water. It was then her lips slowly drew out into a smirk of her own, tugging at the corners as the light played in her hair and within her blue eyes.

“People don’t change easy Jacob. You might play the good boy now but I see it in your eyes. You loved giving the finger to anything that got in your way. Things like that aren’t forgotten easily. If you’re true to your word then we ain’t got a problem. But don’t think for a minute that means I’ll let up. I’ll be watching you like a hawk and that moment when you finally snap I’ll be there to bust your ass.” The athletic Deputy drew closer then to the man she had known since childhood. His words had stirred something in her that was best left alone. How painfully those words rang true in her mind though she wanted to deny them with all her heart. People change. It was inevitable as the sun rising and setting. Perhaps she was more than a little harsh on him yet she couldn’t help it. Vivid flashes of her father’s death, his last words, the anger of her childhood came rushing back all of the sudden. It wasn’t truly anything Jacob had done except for merely being here to remind her she had changed as well. But why did the thought taste so bitter in the back of her mouth?

“You best be on your way. I’m sure your grandma sent you on some errand that needs tending to,” She finally said, the light of the fire in her eyes dwindling lightly as she took a step back from him, her hands coming to rest comfortably upon her belt.
 
Sig shook his head slightly. "Cannot say that I have had the pleasure." He said honestly as he welcomed the opportunity to take a seat. It was indeed getting a bit busier in the bakery and he flashed Sophia a warm smile in acknowledgement of his thanks.

"I'm afraid my current read is Voltaire's history of Charles XII, One of the last King's of the Swedish Empire." He did not linger long on the subject knowing many people including most girls abhorred historic pieces and he was quick to jump to answer her other query. When she had asked where he came from his eyes dipped just a moment before he realized the movement and quickly set them back up on her fair features.

"I was born in England." He felt a small rush of good warm memories at the thought but continued curtly.

"That was a while ago now and I spent most of my days exploring the world. My friends and I would travel here and there searching out local legends, enjoying the thrill of exploration and good company. But one day in Germany something odd happened..." Sig paused slightly not really knowing if he should or wanted to continue given even he still was not quite sure what happened.

"Heh, I apologize I. I'm still not used to just talking about it so openly." Sig confessed feeling a bit embarrassed. He was amongst people who while maybe not exactly liked him all had their own gifts and nuances. He should have felt free to speak but he did not. Hearing the sounds of heavy horse falls and the clatter of armor Sig took a sip of his coffee and hoped no one realized his anxiety over the subject.
 
The General Store

Cody turned around from behind the deli counter and smiled at Teagan and Mo. "Hello ladies what can I do for you today? The mail didn't come in yet, but we got a lot yesterday. Help yourself to the coffee and doughnuts. Anything special today?"

Just as Teagan opened her box a brownie looked up in shock. He'd been gorging himself on a doughnut and had lost track of time. He quickly heaved the remainder of the doughnut on his shoulder and jumped to the floor below. This prompted Abigail to jump out of her basket and investigate. She meowed and scurried after the little fairy. For the most part she was friendly with the little creatures, but that didn't mean she couldn't have her fun now and again. The brownie made it to a crack behind a plastic post office bin and slipped through. Not wantting to go without his prize he reached back and dragged the tasty treat through the hole.

Cody didn't see what the commotion was about, but he head over to the office area behind the mail boxes to check his list of packages. He didn't see anything so he smiled again at the pair. Abigail had since given up the hunt and climb back on the counter next to the mail boxes. She purred softly and contently waited to be petted.

Cody reached over and caressed her softly as he put down his clip board. "Well we have farm fresh eggs from the Brown's farm, some new flannel shirts for anyone who is interested, and we still have a few witch puppets. Well unless you think those are only for little girls. Oh you ladies been to the bakery yet? Only have enough for sandwiches today."

He handed Teagan a printout of all the sale items including all the usual items for the festival. "You all know I'd be glad to make space tor anything your family has to sell here less my percentage. Town visitors love to buy local stuff."
 
The General Store

Cody turned around from behind the deli counter and smiled at Teagan and Mo. "Hello ladies what can I do for you today? The mail didn't come in yet, but we got a lot yesterday. Help yourself to the coffee and doughnuts. Anything special today?"

Just as Teagan opened her box a brownie looked up in shock. He'd been gorging himself on a doughnut and had lost track of time. He quickly heaved the remainder of the doughnut on his shoulder and jumped to the floor below. This prompted Abigail to jump out of her basket and investigate. She meowed and scurried after the little fairy. For the most part she was friendly with the little creatures, but that didn't mean she couldn't have her fun now and again. The brownie made it to a crack behind a plastic post office bin and slipped through. Not wantting to go without his prize he reached back and dragged the tasty treat through the hole.

Cody didn't see what the commotion was about, but he head over to the office area behind the mail boxes to check his list of packages. He didn't see anything so he smiled again at the pair. Abigail had since given up the hunt and climb back on the counter next to the mail boxes. She purred softly and contently waited to be petted.

Cody reached over and caressed her softly as he put down his clip board. "Well we have farm fresh eggs from the Brown's farm, some new flannel shirts for anyone who is interested, and we still have a few witch puppets. Well unless you think those are only for little girls. Oh you ladies been to the bakery yet? Only have enough for sandwiches today."

He handed Teagan a printout of all the sale items including all the usual items for the festival. "You all know I'd be glad to make space tor anything your family has to sell here less my percentage. Town visitors love to buy local stuff."
 
Sig In the Bakery

"Voltaire?" Sophia was surprised. "In French?" It would be splendid if he did. Sometimes Autumn Valley was a bit too provincial for her. It would be wonderful if she had someone who could actually converse in French and not just spout out nonsense about their Aunt's pen on the table.

"Ah, that explains why I could not place your accent, your travels have changed it. The same has happened to me."

She leaned forward, "That is the great benefit of living here. Tell me what happened in Germany?" She looked truly interested. If Sig had made his way to Autumn Valley, he must have some story to tell. She could not begin to guess what it might be.


General Store

Mo made a face at Cody. She hated gender designations and 'ladies' was especially abhorrent to her, but she knew he meant well. She did use female pronouns for herself most times. She helped herself to a cup of coffee.

Teagan giggled at the brownie. "Your brownies are pretty bold. Ours don't usually show themselves. Especially in daylight." She joined Cody in petting Abigail. "How's my fuzzy face today?" She cooed. "Keeping the browines from eating all the goodies?"

Teagan laughed, "I don't think we need any witch puppets. Our moms already have the farmhouse decorated, with help from the fey. Garlands of oak and ivy all over. And pumpkins. We even carved turnips all last week to put votives in. You know they used turnips for Samhain in England because they didn't have pumpkins. When the settlers came here they found pumpkins were so much bigger and much easier to carve." And Cody either already knew that or didn't care. She did tend to ramble. "Speaking of which, we need to get some more. Mom is going crazy in the kitchen with pumpkin pies.

"We can use some eggs." Mo said looking through the magazines. "And I know mom has some herbs ready and some jally made from the dregs of the mead. And honey...you know the faeries harvest it on the full moons. Naked." She smirked.

Teagan looked over the list and walked down the aisle and picked up a few things and set them on the counter. "We'll probably stop at the bakery in a bit. Lots of errands today."

"Will you be at the party tonight? I'll be playing." She grinned.
 
Sigmund smiled at her surprise. "C'est la langue des Anges." He said hoping he remembered the words correctly. It had been a while sine he traveled through Dijon.

Of course when he asked for more information about Germany he still felt slightly uneasy about delving too much into the subject. How do you explain something that you still don't even truly know. Still she had asked and figuring that it would not be the first wild crazy story she had heard about some haunted forest he decided to give her what she asked.

"I was traveling through the Black Forest in southern Germany. The locals spoke of the great views from some of the mountains there. The Feldberg, the Belchen and many others. One day I was walking about minding my own business and the next I found myself running through the forest on a stormy night. I felt like someone was controlling me, driving me towards something. When I looked around I saw wraiths and dead men behind me. They rode atop undead horses the stuff of nightmares. They were all around me and yet I stayed just ahead of them." Sigmund said with a small sigh to take a drink of coffee and take a breath before he continued.

"I do not know how long I kept running but I remember stopping to find people, some times other explorers some times farmers and woodsman. I would warn, shout at them, threaten do whatever I could to make them leave the area before the riders swept through..." Even to this day he still could see the leader, all blacks and dull grey silvers as he rode. Fiery eyes had gazed out at him through the archaic looking helmet.

"Then one day I woke up in the northern part of Hessen far from the Black Forest. I spent ten years after that trying to figure out what happened. The locals told me my stories reminded them about the legend of the Wilde Jagd, the 'Wild Hunt'. Specters roving through the lands hunting, killing and taking people." Sigmund didn't bother talking about the times where people outright laughed at his tale claiming he was some dumb brit who had drank too much of stronger heartier German beer.

"I learned that someone called Eckhart was a spirit, or guardian who would warn people about the Wild Hunt. Keep people safe when the Hunt came close. The strange part is occasionally I can still feel the danger, feel like something is coming to hurt me before I see or hear it. That was a long time ago." Sigmund said before slightly worried greyish eyes looked to Sophia before he gave her a smile smile.

He had come to Autumn Valley to both escape the Nightmares he continually had experienced living in Germany and because after continuous searching of the arcane and mystical he search pointed to the Valley being a mythical place where perhaps he could learn more about the mysterious event and the gifts he still had.

"Et c'est mon histoire ma chère." He said looking towards her.
 
Allison reaches town and goes to the library

As Robert drove his truck down the road, Allison leaned out the window to let the wind blow through her hair. It was the beginning of October, the start of the harvest festival, and there was nothing she liked better. The air had a crispness to it and the sun made everything sharper than it was the rest of the year. She waved at her friends, and at strangers, and one young man unloading a truck dropped a big box. She heard glass breaking, and giggled as beer spilled out into the street. The gutter-pixies should have swarmed in, eager to lap up a free buzz, but it was too early.

"He looked like he'd seen a ghost," she said.

Robert rolled his eyes, having heard the joke a few dozen times before. "Try rolling the window down."

She grinned at him, shrugging her shoulders. It had been two hundred years since she'd had a body, and she forgot sometimes. The truck pulled over in the town square, and she gave Robert a quick kiss on the cheek before she hopped out. She even opened the door, sticking her tongue out at him.

The library was an old white clapboard house that had been left to the town a long while ago. It had that smell of old books and was never quite a comfortable temperature. In the winter it was too hot, and in the summer, too cold. The librarian was one of the few people in town with absolutely no talent whatsoever for the supernatural, so Allison floated through the door, to save the old dear wondering who opened and closed it.

Allison had read quite a bit over the years, and she wasn't precisely against it, but the sorts of things she liked to read weren't at the public library. There were things she needed here, though. There were several computers, and more importantly, someone to operate them. A few of the younger ghosts could operate electronics, but Allison could at best manage to crash a system, and even then only during a lightning storm. That was why she had carefully cultivated a friendship with Charles, an elderly man, who had discovered computers when he retired, who was a regular at the library.

Allison explained what she wanted, and it was astonishing how fast he was able to design the flyer, with party-spooky fonts and clipart, and print up a hundred for her. The librarian scowled at the poster when she saw the design, and Charles asked if it would be ok to hang one on the bulletin board in the front. She gave grudging permission, and Charles pinned a sign up.

"GHOST STORIES," the flyer said, in big letters at the top. "Make contact with the other world. Every midnight in October at the Raven Hill Cemetery. Look for the Shaw Mausoleum. B.Y.O.B."

"Need help putting them up?" Charles murmured to her softly, so the librarian wouldn't think he'd gone daft.

She shook her head. "Just get the door?"

He opened it for her, stepping outside as if he was going down the street to get a cup of coffee at the bakery, and she slipped out. She could float through the door, but the signs couldn't, nor could the roll of scotch tape she had lifted off the librarian's desk. She bounced down the steps and saw the redhaired deputy fussing at some young man who looked familiar, and she waved at them. In the middle of the square a stranger was chatting up the dryad, and she waved at them too.

Her first stop was the bakery, and she focused herself on being as 'real' as she could as she pushed the door open. Only a few would see that she was a ghost. Of course, most of the locals knew her, but she didn't want to shock any visitors. Not this morning, anyway. It would ruin the fun tonight.

She called out a cheerful "Hello!" and waved the stack of flyers.

"OK if I put one of these in the window?" she asked, already pulling a strip of tape off the roll.
 
The General Store

As Mo enjoyed the fresh coffee Teagan petted Abigail who made many happy sounds and rolled on her back exposing her furry belly. Cody smiled and laughed and rubbed her belly as her paws stretched out. He smiled over at Mo and said playfully," we carry clothes for both boys and girls so I'm sure you'll find something."

He turned his attention back to her cousin. "Well somebody really likes you Teagan. She doesn't do this for everyone. As to our little friends normally they're a bit better about staying out of site, but there are always a few who push their luck. One morning I came down and found one napping on Abigail. My late wife told me the first time she saw a fairy was when one came for a cookie from the second batch."

Cody smiled remembering the pumpkin carving contests in the early colonies. He never won tor design, but the ones he grew were amount the biggest. He nodded listing to Teagan not wanting to give himself away. "Well you'll find all you need for the pies with the rest of the baking supplies. Seems every family in tow is making at least one. As to the rest you'll find everything where it is normally. I'll get some boxes together for you all."

The general store always gave their customers boxes, and Cody continued the practice, so while the women whopped he put a few together on the counter. Abigail hopped down and followed the women around the store not wanting to be left out of the action.


"Yeah was thinking about closing early and joining everyone. Should be a beautiful night for it."
 
Back
Top