A Picture is Worth a Thousand FAWCs

A publisher would presume the image was under copyright until/unless shown otherwise, so that's a killer of this idea.

I have been busy so only read the shorter ones this time. They were interesting, but I liked the straightforward ones that I would sink into and that gave me a jolt - the Booty one and the Wave one. I could connect the photo with those, which is what I thought the point was. I like this contest and hope you do more of them.

Thanks for the update TTT. I knew I'd seen it before but could not remember where. Duh.... My travel agents office. :rolleyes:

I got the copy I have off Tumblr. It's lived in my plot bunny folder for many years.

I found out by accident. I was looking for a higher resolution picture, for ideas, and did a google image search. Surprised as hell to see 100's show up. At least a few were very high resolution.

Incidentally, one of my publishers has suggested that he let us publish the FAWC3 stories as an anthology with the image as a cover, but I thought it would be difficult to get everyone to agree to a book where a royalty split would be too much trouble if they didn't just want to donate what little profit there would be to some charity and I don't know if TxRad got the image from someplace where it could be purchased for a cover.

I could see it being done, if everyone agreed to, say, a charity or other organization to which all the royalties would go. Maybe just feed it back into Lit, since this is where it all started.

I have been busy so only read the shorter ones this time. They were interesting, but I liked the straightforward ones that I would sink into and that gave me a jolt - the Booty one and the Wave one. I could connect the photo with those, which is what I thought the point was. I like this contest and hope you do more of them.

There will definitely be more. But the next one is a few months away.

I could see it being done, if everyone agreed to, say, a charity or other organization to which all the royalties would go. Maybe just feed it back into Lit, since this is where it all started.

Not with this one, unfortunately. It hinges on an image that there's little chance of obtaining permissions to use.

Any exercise open to genres across the board also would be hard to pigeonhole at distributors. That's why it would need to be more for the kick of it than as a profit to anyone.

Not with this one, unfortunately. It hinges on an image that there's little chance of obtaining permissions to use.

Any exercise open to genres across the board also would be hard to pigeonhole at distributors. That's why it would need to be more for the kick of it than as a profit to anyone.

I honestly wouldn't be expecting much of a profit, not as much as I enjoy from eXcessica at any rate. It would, indeed, be more for the kick.

So, not this one, but future FAWCs if the connecting theme was a little tighter might work. Something to think about.

I have to finish reading these but my eyes are bad today (too much screen time and not enough sleep). Should be ready again tomorrow.

Views and votes have definitely slowed down. There are still three days until the "winner" is announced, so who knows what may happen in the meantime.

The stories have been swept (some more Hs) and have disappeared off the Chain Stories hub "New" list.

Some 5's I scored, plus comments I made, were removed.

I'm not a happy camper.

I don't know how you'd know your 5 votes were removed. The only comments I noticed disappearing were the spams.

The stories have been swept (some more Hs) and have disappeared off the Chain Stories hub "New" list.

I had asked Laurel for a sweep last night.

Some 5's I scored, plus comments I made, were removed.

I'm not a happy camper.

There haven't been any comments removed since November 12th. As for votes being removed, certainly, some were, but I doubt you would know if any were yours.

Voting has been turned off, following a screencap I took of the submissions page. I'll announce the winners tomorrow, but it's pretty obvious who came out ahead.

I had asked Laurel for a sweep last night.

There haven't been any comments removed since November 12th. As for votes being removed, certainly, some were, but I doubt you would know if any were yours.

Voting has been turned off, following a screencap I took of the submissions page. I'll announce the winners tomorrow, but it's pretty obvious who came out ahead.

The starz light up yellow after you vote. My starz don't light up on the stories I scored.

What kinda scam are you pulling? You earned your name SLICK WILLIE, and need a nuclear enema for your treachery.

Last edited by a moderator:
The starz light up yellow after you vote. My starz don't light up on the stories I scored.

What kinda scam are you pulling?

*sigh*

No scam, James. All I did was ask for a sweep, then turned off voting so there wouldn't be any last-minute sharking. You want to join the tin-foil-hat brigade, that's up to you. From what I can tell on the submissions page, there were only two comments swept, both on November 12th. As for your stars not lighting up, maybe Laurel took down your votes in the sweep. Maybe you voted more than once, from a different computer. Hell if I know. Or care.

What kinda scam are you pulling?

If that's the case, every one of mine is gone too. That might be because FAWCer turned off voting, I dunno, never been in that situation. But I don't really see how the sweep would really work like that (I dunno how they really work at all) unless she has a "seek out user JBJ vote" sweep function.

Your fives are prolly still in place.

FAWCKer said he had the voting turned off--just in the last day, I suppose. So, yes, if you voted after that, Jim, the vote just didn't register. It wasn't erased. The vote was just not cast because the voting was turned off. You could note here which ones you were trying to vote a 5 and that could then become part of whatever discussion we have on the exercise.

Is voting going to be turned back on after the contest is over?

FAWCKer said he had the voting turned off--just in the last day, I suppose. So, yes, if you voted after that, Jim, the vote just didn't register. It wasn't erased. The vote was just not cast because the voting was turned off. You could note here which ones you were trying to vote a 5 and that could then become part of whatever discussion we have on the exercise.

Voting was turned off about an hour ago. I assume JBJ went straight to one of the stories after this, and made the wrong assumption. Not too much of a stretch to think that if voting is turned off, the stars won't light up.

Is voting going to be turned back on after the contest is over?

I'll turn them back on after the reveal tomorrow.

Well, yes, if voting was turned off and James tried to vote after the fact, they would not be cast. But I'm kinda in the same boat. I cast my votes to each one before it was turned off. On every one now, my stars aren't lit up. Now like I've said, I've never been in a situation like that before, so I don't know why that would happen. Perhaps all of my votes were swept? Not likely, as I pretty much voted every story differently, as in there wasn't a suspicious "pattern" or anything. I dunno how the sweeps work, no one really does.

That being said, I don't really smell any tomfoolery with the voting. I don't see any conspiracy or anything going on, I thought the scores actually panned out favorably and appropriately for each story (just personal opinion, save all tomatoes until end of post.)

Only thing I could think of that might have happened is if you voted so many fives as to look suspicious James. I don't even know if "fives" are even swept. That's just speculation. Other than that shot in the dark theory, I don't think anything went wrong.

Voting was turned off about an hour ago. I assume JBJ went straight to one of the stories after this, and made the wrong assumption. Not too much of a stretch to think that if voting is turned off, the stars won't light up.

I'll turn them back on after the reveal tomorrow.

I just assumed what you said. That if voting is turned off at any point, the stars disappear. I don't know that actually happens, that's just what I thought, too.

I'm fairly confident in my guesses of who wrote what. Looking forward to the big reveal. I love a good, hard FAWC. ;)

Congrats TxTallTales!

With a final score of 4.92 . . . .

attachment.php

Good job, Triple-T!

Attachments

• FAWC-TROPHY-winner3.jpg
    FAWC-TROPHY-winner3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 60
Congrats to TxTallTales. Sort of undermines the "guess who the author is" phase, though. But that was one of the few stories I thought I could put a name to.

Back