Your Food Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easters growing up: We'd go to my great-grandmother's house. We'd have 2 hams, several pounds of freshly smoked kielbasa, 3 types of potato salads, 2 types of macaroni salad, pickles, pickles and more pickles, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, fresh fruit and vegetables - but no tomatoes, she thought they were poisonous - breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies.

We'd bring home ham for lunches, kielbasa for snacks and lunches.

Kowalski's keilbasa???

Kowalski's keilbasa???

Great-aunts and other old ladies made, stuffed, and smoked the sausages themselves!

These ladies, and my great-grandmother, also made pickles, sauerkraut, and horseradish sauce themselves

Great-aunts and other old ladies made, stuffed, and smoked the sausages themselves!

These ladies, and my great-grandmother, also made pickles, sauerkraut, and horseradish sauce themselves

Just checking. Kowalski's (back in the 70's) was the best commercial keilbasa out there.

Just checking. Kowalski's (back in the 70's) was the best commercial keilbasa out there.

Here in my area of upstate NY, it was Bilinski - big packers in Albany - or White Eagle - small packers in Schenectady. White Eagle is still in the area and have returned to the old recipe: lots of black pepper and garlic. I don't do the fresh: have to cook it for hours. I do smoked.

Here in my area of upstate NY, it was Bilinski - big packers in Albany - or White Eagle - small packers in Schenectady. White Eagle is still in the area and have returned to the old recipe: lots of black pepper and garlic. I don't do the fresh: have to cook it for hours. I do smoked.

I haven't had fresh since about 1977. Great stuff. Smoked was great, too.

The local stuff is okay, but not the same. Perhaps it was because Grandma cooked it?

I also can't get past the idea of cooking for just a few after growing up in a family of 9. The Easter dinner ham I made on Monday was used in omelets, homemade Mac n cheese, then tonight's ham and beans. Tomorrow that will turn into ham and beans chimichangas.

That was exactly my culinary training...family of nine. Went and had my own family of seven. For a while I used to bring essentially an entire field kitchen with me when I would go get the kids...now that I am usually down to the two youngest, we eat out mostly...but sometimes I'll get the urge to cook and I'll McGuyver up some cooking implements of destruction.

I did Thanksgiving last year in a hotel room. Escapes me what I made but we went anti-turkey because one of my daughters suffered a tragedy the thanksgiving before and couldn't bear a traditional celebration.

Yum..

I had an employee that I later ended up working who had a mother from the former Yugoslavia...

...he apologetically asked me when I was out and about on company business if I would stop by this sausage place because he needed some things for some holiday.

It was old-world...tucked in behind someplace...I couldn't begin to tell you where to find it again...the aroma was intoxicating.

I need to look him up and ask him about that.

Yum..

I had an employee that I later ended up working who had a mother from the former Yugoslavia...

...he apologetically asked me when I was out and about on company business if I would stop by this sausage place because he needed some things for some holiday.

It was old-world...tucked in behind someplace...I couldn't begin to tell you where to find it again...the aroma was intoxicating.

I need to look him up and ask him about that.

Nothing better than Eastern Europeans smoked meats

I nearly engaged in "accidentalvegetarianism" today.

The two eggs I had for breakfast, the butter on the tomato and cucumber sandwiches and the egg used to make the pasta averted disaster. On my plate I omitted the cheese to keep the calorie count down.

attachment.php

I sauteed pepper and onion and added bottled sauce. I don't ordinarily use it, but someone else in the bunkhouse here offered it up when I was scrounging dinner.

The small zucchinis look more substantial sliced on the diagonal.

Attachments

• almost vegan.jpg
    almost vegan.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 76
Garden Dreaming

http://awaytogarden.com/roasted-tomatillo-salsa-like-jam/

Step one- Toast peppers over flame/heat

Ingredients:

* Tomatillos
* A mix of sweet and hot peppers, seeded and chopped
* Yellow or white onion, chopped
* Garlic, chopped
* Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped coarsely

steps:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Remove the husks and small stems of the tomatillos, and rinse fruit (which will feel naturally sticky; no worry).

Chop your peppers (seeded first), and onions and garlic.

Put it all in a roasting pan; toss with a little olive oil.

Roast it uncovered until it bubbles and starts to soften; stir.

Stir again after about 10 minutes. And again—until desired thickness is achieved. Cool and put in small jars to freeze, or use within the week (refrigerating meantime).

Beer bread- There are so many brands of beer, to choose from!

Beer Bread
Makes 4 Servings
Hands-On Time: 10 Minutes
Total Preparation Time: 30 to 35 Minutes

8 T (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 c unbleached all-purpose flour
3 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp table salt
One 12-ounce bottle good-quality beer

1. Place an oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the butter in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or pan and set it in the oven while the oven is preheating.

2. Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the beer until it is just incorporated. (The dough will be sticky and heavy.)

3. Pour 6 tablespoons melted butter out of the pan into a cup; tilt the pan to coat the bottom and sides with the remaining butter. Spoon the bread dough into the pan and spread evenly; drizzle the 6 tablespoons melted butter over the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bumpy top is golden brown.

4. Remove the bread from the oven to a cooling rack; cut the bread into rectangles and serve warm.

http://saramoulton.com/2011/10/pulled-chicken-barbeque-on-beer-bread-with-pickled-cucumbers/

One of my compatriots at the bunkhouse brought these home on his last shopping trip from the big city.

He went back there for mothers day and got home too late for me to ask him...

What ARE these?

They seem to be a tropical fruit. Since I have no idea if I can replace them, I don't want to cut into it.

This guy has a far from sophisticated palate. His two tasting modes are 'mmm that tastes OK,' or something scatological.

He will fail to notice a batch of fresh marinara with sweet peppers in the fridge and open a can of spaghetti-os

attachment.php

Attachments

• What is it.jpg
    What is it.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 70
mangoes?^^^^ Is the flesh orange yellow? Is there a big seed in it?

I can't cut them to find out...it is yellow fleshed like a crook-neck squash...smooth like a mango skin...kind of slightly kidney shaped .

Makes sense it could a variety of mango I have never seen. Most I see are green with some red and orange blush on them. The are smaller too. about the volume of a small pear.

Smell it, if its sweet its a fruit if not a veggie. A better guess would be something from your area. that should narrow down your search.

Smell it, if its sweet its a fruit if not a veggie. A better guess would be something from your area. that should narrow down your search.

It is definitely a fruit of some kind. It smells vaguely tropical...besides, the guy is not a fan of veggies.

Mangoes are usually green, when they are not ripe. Some however, do stay green and are ripe. Most I know, turn yellow on the outside.

Queensland (Australia) mangoes, especially the Bowen mango, is huge; they can weigh up to about a kilo. Feed a family of five with one!

What do you mean, you can't cut it? You can't or you don't want to?

You should be able to cut it, even if you sacrifice it to have a look. lol then suck it and see.

Oh..wait..is it a sapodilla? I think they look like mangoes.

Last edited:
One of my compatriots at the bunkhouse brought these home on his last shopping trip from the big city.

He went back there for mothers day and got home too late for me to ask him...

What ARE these?

They seem to be a tropical fruit. Since I have no idea if I can replace them, I don't want to cut into it.

This guy has a far from sophisticated palate. His two tasting modes are 'mmm that tastes OK,' or something scatological.

He will fail to notice a batch of fresh marinara with sweet peppers in the fridge and open a can of spaghetti-os

attachment.php

Papaya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back