Salvor's new journal

Salvor-Hardon

A kiss is still a kiss
When I closed my digital moleskine, I had the intent to revamp it, to add photos, audios, even movies, to give make the act of keep a journal more than just the words. I like words but sometimes my limited vocabulary can't quite grasp the ideas and concepts that rattle around in my brain. A picture can be worth a thousand words, but there are thoughts and feeling that words fail to express, and only images can convey.

To start with, I wanted to give an idea of the journal as it would be in meat space.

journalcollection.jpg

I am an unrepentant journal hoarder. When I am sad or down, I buy a new one, even if there is plenty of space in the several previous ones. When I feel good and want to reward myself, I buy a new one. Its not to the level of pathology (I hope not anyway. I still pay bills first, and its been several months since I've bought one.) but it is a decidedly odd quirk. The ones shown here run the gamut, plain blank paper, lined gilded edges, and some truly amazing paper that I can't properly describe other than I had to buy a new fountain pen to go with it because ball point just felt too common for such incredible paper (its the one with the cat's eye gem stone on the cover).

Not every post will have pictures, but I do want to stretch and push my creativity. Some posts will be photo manipulations, or even just a shot without words at all. I want this new incarnation to be a slightly more representation of what its like inside my head. Not a complete glimpse mind you, because inside my head is a pretty scary place.

So pick a journal that appeals to you, and imagine opening it to reveal.... a life.

Oh, yes, please. Just opening this made me smile, before I even read a word. It's been much too long.

I buy journals, too. Never mar them with ink, though. Blank they're pure potential. I like 'em that way.

:kiss:

I'll have to second the comments of the good witch. It's been much too long, indeed, and I'm sure it will have been well worth the wait. Good to have you back and inspiring thoughts in others with your own musings. (hug):rose::kiss:

I buy journals, too. Never mar them with ink, though. Blank they're pure potential. I like 'em that way.

:kiss:

To an extent, I'm the same way. Those I do write in are for specific purposes.

Leather, suede, cloth, plain or fancy . . . even one from Denmark. Some are just too gorgeous to use.

Interested to see what you chose to do with this, my friend...

09-13-09 Its all in the voice

mentorship.jpg

Poster by Brett and Kate McKay from Art of Manliness

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/08/27/motivational-posters-ernest-hemingway-edition/

Growing up in Southwest Florida, there's two men you learn about, whether you want to or not. One is Ernest Hemingway, the other is Jimmy Buffett. While I would stop before I call either one "hero", they are influential in my formation. Its as if I want to call them heroes, but I know their flaws too well to want to follow them too closely. I may not want to be like them, but I would be thrilled to sit at a table and have a beer with them (well just Jimmy now, as Ernest is unable to attend). They are for quite simply interesting story tellers.

I recently had a great moment, sharing a beer with two dear friends I knew on-line, and for the first time met them in meat space. There was copious hugging and laughing and that affirmation that friendship does exist over wires and on screens, but that an in person moment is more real, just like watching Swan Lake on tv is stirring, but in person you are moved. Listening to these two, it was an amazing moment of just hanging on every word. They were engaging, interesting and just damn fun.

While we sat and laughed, I brought up the Dos Equis commercials "the most interesting man in the world". The fictional spokes model is obviously modeled on Hemingway, with a sense of legendary that makes for a good chuckle. The tag line "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis" sticks in your head because of the exploits you imagine this man has done, and the stories he would tell. All around us we have these tastes of story tellers, and yet the art of story telling seems nearly lost in some regards.

I'm not talking about authors, or writers. We have an abundance of scribes and scriveners in the digital age. What we lack though are raconteurs, the people who can alter the pitch and tone and pacing of their voices, to make us lose ourselves in their tales. We are woefully low on bards who can weave a spell with spoken words, transporting us to places truly wonderful and magical. In a world that is over saturated with images and sounds, were even our pockets are heavy with multimedia devices, have we lost the ability to sit and listen, and therefore the storytellers have been left to the days of long ago and far away.

Autumn is coming, and soon the bon fires will blaze, and the last platform of real story tellers will once more be set. The crackle of the burning logs, the orange light that flickers and dances, the smell of wood and marshmellows charring; all the stage dressing that begs for a voice to start out "Have you all heard the story..." and I for one can't wait to listen, just listen.

Last edited:
09-19-09 Rainy Night in Georgia

Its been raining here for a few days straight, not horribly, no tornadoes or anything that would count as tragic; though I haven't been watching the news so I don't know for sure whether its tragic or not. Its just the kind of weather that makes you want to stay in and just vegetate, indulge in some well deserved sloth for a bit.

Mostly it makes me sit back, take stock of my life and be grateful for my life. I appreciate my friends, and I am richer for knowing so many wonderful and varied personalities. Had I money enough and time, I'd love to go around the world, presenting a small gift or token, and giving a great hug to each and every one. No hand shakes, hugs. That's how you know you are loved and taken in, when you are embraced and accepted; when no matter the circumstance you are hugged.

Hugging is an art, a talent. You have to practice it, put your heart and soul into it. You have to feel for how your arms wrap around, which side to lean your face, how long it lasts, all little things that vary from person to person. Even hug by hug there are nuances and subtleties. A hug is an expression, a statement of who you are and how you feel about the person you are hugging.

I feel bad when there are moments that are ripe, perfect for a hug to be given, but barriers like professionalism, or a jealous significant other make a hug seem inappropriate. I've defied both of those conventions and others in the past, and will most likely cross those lines in the future. Call it a protest if you like but the hug and the sentiment behind the hug were more important than the barrier at the moment.

My home is quiet as I right this. Wife and children are in bed, sleeping. I'm looking out the window, at the night rain and thinking of friends far away, around the world. Each and every one I am plotting and thinking of how I will them, though I know it will change as the moment I actually see them and pull them dictates how the hug will be.

There's no point to this, other than to say, if you have some one you can go hug, go do it, right now. You'll be glad you did.

(big hug) what a great description. I wish everyone knew that hugs are that important to people. :rose::kiss:

and... on your list of people around the world... put beside my name that I don't need a gift or token, I'll just have the hug instead. ;)

(big hug) what a great description. I wish everyone knew that hugs are that important to people. :rose::kiss:

and... on your list of people around the world... put beside my name that I don't need a gift or token, I'll just have the hug instead. ;)

Noted ;)

9/25/09 WWMD--What Would MacGyver Do?

So I'm feeling creative, crafty, a bit of the frustrated engineer inside wanting to get out. I want to build. Not just build but BUILD! I want to make something that has that "dayum" reaction, when people are at once in awe and a bit afraid.

I have a itx mini-motherboard, with a 800mhz cpu, a few laptop hard drives, a couple of cigar boxes of various sizes, some glass bottles, corks, these cool mint tins than are black hardened rubber kind of feeling with mirrors in the lids, three dead universal remotes, and a 2gb flash drive that may or may not work right. You would think that with such an array of supplies, I would be half way towards my goal of world domination, and I should start looking out for the secret agents who are about to burst through the door. Yet this morning I sit here, twiddling a pen in my fingers and think "if I only had a wheel barrow! Then we'd have something." Followed closely by "What I wouldn't give for a holocaust cloak right now." then "I am the Dwead Piwate Woberts, I have come for your soooooooouuulllllsssss!"

I get onto my students about having a plan, a flow chart, an idea of what they are doing before they start. Not that they have to stick to it, but they should know what they are doing before they do it. I want to break my own rule, just to start building, and let the form emerge and figure out function later. I want to just start BUILDING!

My problem is I can't just be the mad scientist I want to be. As soon as I get the flux capacitor connected to the heisenberg compensator* then my role as Dad, Husband, Friend, Calming Influential Presence, Troubleshooter, or Brother will intrude and I have to put world domination aside to make breakfast, run to the bank, blah blah blah blah blah.

I think my problem is I am just not evil enough. Fuck MacGyver, ... What Would Moriarty Do?

* (points if you know where those come from, bonus points if you can correctly conjecture what the melding of those two devices would yield)

So I'm feeling creative, crafty, a bit of the frustrated engineer inside wanting to get out. I want to build. Not just build but BUILD! I want to make something that has that "dayum" reaction, when people are at once in awe and a bit afraid.

I have a itx mini-motherboard, with a 800mhz cpu, a few laptop hard drives, a couple of cigar boxes of various sizes, some glass bottles, corks, these cool mint tins than are black hardened rubber kind of feeling with mirrors in the lids, three dead universal remotes, and a 2gb flash drive that may or may not work right. You would think that with such an array of supplies, I would be half way towards my goal of world domination, and I should start looking out for the secret agents who are about to burst through the door. Yet this morning I sit here, twiddling a pen in my fingers and think "if I only had a wheel barrow! Then we'd have something." Followed closely by "What I wouldn't give for a holocaust cloak right now." then "I am the Dwead Piwate Woberts, I have come for your soooooooouuulllllsssss!"

I get onto my students about having a plan, a flow chart, an idea of what they are doing before they start. Not that they have to stick to it, but they should know what they are doing before they do it. I want to break my own rule, just to start building, and let the form emerge and figure out function later. I want to just start BUILDING!

My problem is I can't just be the mad scientist I want to be. As soon as I get the flux capacitor connected to the heisenberg compensator* then my role as Dad, Husband, Friend, Calming Influential Presence, Troubleshooter, or Brother will intrude and I have to put world domination aside to make breakfast, run to the bank, blah blah blah blah blah.

I think my problem is I am just not evil enough. Fuck MacGyver, ... What Would Moriarty Do?

* (points if you know where those come from, bonus points if you can correctly conjecture what the melding of those two devices would yield)

Try this for a little inspiration:

http://eviloverlord.com/

Try this for a little inspiration:

http://eviloverlord.com/

Oddly enough, I have that bookmarked :D

Though I disagree with the idea of naming my troops "Legion of Terror". I think it leads to anger issues. My armies are called "Snugglebunnies of Death". That way they get the positive affirmation of being snuggly and cute, and yet the kick ass attitude of death.

Its all about motivation and management skills.

Oddly enough, I have that bookmarked :D

Though I disagree with the idea of naming my troops "Legion of Terror". I think it leads to anger issues. My armies are called "Snugglebunnies of Death". That way they get the positive affirmation of being snuggly and cute, and yet the kick ass attitude of death.

Its all about motivation and management skills.
Of course. "Angora Doom".

god sakes, I'm so glad you're back to give us a glimpse into your world, Sal. (big hug) thanks for making me smile today. :)

As soon as I get the flux capacitor connected to the heisenberg compensator

Back to the Future, and we'd have a time machine. :D

(I am such a closet geek)

Next, let's put bras on our heads, and make the perfect spouse. ;)

Back to the Future, and we'd have a time machine. :D

(I am such a closet geek)

Next, let's put bras on our heads, and make the perfect spouse. ;)

Back to the Future is one half, come on sweets, figure out the other half :D I know you know.

But if I got your bra off, I'm not putting it on my head :devil:

Back to the Future is one half, come on sweets, figure out the other half :D I know you know.

I forgot to answer that part: Star Trek, of course. :D

But if I got your bra off, I'm not putting it on my head :devil:

Yeah, but afters we gotta do the bra over the ears thing, turn my husband into a nasty blob, and have bikers come to the wild party at our house. ;)

Back