The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

Can I have a cup of Tea please?

I thought of you on Saturday HP. An unusually warm 31 celsius in Sydney (only 2 weeks out from winter) We were invited - the whole street that is, to the home of a Tea importer and his family who have recently moved in. 8 or so different teas, from a mild Darjeeling to a lusty Yunnan; all served by absurdly pretty young women in Saris.

With it we had a traditional English tea and cakes but miniaturised and with a nod to the multi ethnic assembly -tiny baklava, similar Italian chocolate cake, I even recognized my wife's recipe for the tiny apple and cheese pies. We watched the yachts sail on the harbour and chatted away for an hour or two. I enjoyed an extra cuppa on your behalf!

Love both of those, but Tora, Tora, Tora is my favourite. I have it saved, and watch it regularly. And every single time I am amazed at the ineptitude of those involved in the lack of communication that could have lessened the carnage at Pearl Harbour.
You have not read, then, the speculation that Roosevelt knew exactly what was happening from signals intelligence and that an attack would give him the premise to enter the war, thus enabling full mobilisation against Germany. This has been one of the sidelines of Enigma history since the early 1980s and is credible. The fact that the Japanese attack was spectacularly successful could be considered an early example of collateral damage.

You have not read, then, the speculation that Roosevelt knew exactly what was happening from signals intelligence and that an attack would give him the premise to enter the war, thus enabling full mobilisation against Germany. This has been one of the sidelines of Enigma history since the early 1980s and is credible. The fact that the Japanese attack was spectacularly successful could be considered an early example of collateral damage.

I’ve read such speculation and, nothing personal, consider it pretty thin. Consider just the following:

FDR could’ve galvanized public opinion against the Axis even if the entire Pacific Fleet had been at sea when the attack hit Hawaii, with damage limited to ground facilities and a few minor vessels. As it was, they came perilously close to losing the war. You don’t win a fight by inviting the bad guy to shoot you in the guts first.

The USA, unsurprisingly, declared war on Japan the day after Pearl Harbour - 8 December. Had FDR’s goal been to get at Germany, it would be logical for him to have declared war on Germany at the same time. He didn’t. Instead, the USA waited until Hitler declared war on the USA first, four days after.

The entire proposal hinges on the Allies knowing. It’s possible Churchill might have been Machiavellian enough to sit on Ultra warnings to bring the US in, but Ultra was Eurocentric and England had at the time no such penetration of Japanese codes. The USA had some success with Japanese diplomatic codes, which didn’t say much about naval plans. The Allies had maybe 10% penetration into IJ Navy codes, but even there, little was said over the air about Hawaii until after 7 December; couriers were used instead.

There are a raft of other reasons, but those will do for a start. It’s not very likely, IMO.

Last edited:
There are a raft of other reasons, but those will do for a start. It’s not very likely, IMO.
You're probably right, but it's been repeated speculation for decades, which makes it vaguely intriguing. Mind you, if you run on the principle (as I do) that 99% of the time, what looks like a cock-up IS a cock-up, and if the 1% left over is cunning, then the cunning is going to be so good, you'll think it's a cock-up regardless.

But Stanley Kubrick really did use an unbelievably rare NASA lense for Barry Lyndon, even if he didn't film the moon landing ;).

Uh... The tinfoil is kept in the cabinet between the booze and the sleep aides. ;)

MP, I'm glad you liked the apple pie cinnamon rolls. They have been a favorite of mine for a hundred years, more or less. My grandmother made them on special occasions.

Fresh coffee for the late night, early morning crew. I'm off to bed.

You're probably right, but it's been repeated speculation for decades, which makes it vaguely intriguing. Mind you, if you run on the principle (as I do) that 99% of the time, what looks like a cock-up IS a cock-up, and if the 1% left over is cunning, then the cunning is going to be so good, you'll think it's a cock-up regardless.

But Stanley Kubrick really did use an unbelievably rare NASA lense for Barry Lyndon, even if he didn't film the moon landing ;).

Yeah. Never waste your time inventing guile or cunning as a reason for failure when stupidity or sleepiness will do.

Cheers.

My grandmother made them on special occasions.

With all possible respect, I find it hard to picture you as having a grandmother. Some things, like the Rockies or the Pacific, just are and always have been. Who looks for the grandmother of a typhoon?

With all possible respect, I find it hard to picture you as having a grandmother. Some things, like the Rockies or the Pacific, just are and always have been.
Who looks for the grandmother of a typhoon?

Florence did; the answer was Maghut's mother.

Well, it seems to be morning. It was a long day, yesterday, but the nuptials were suitable celebrated (the speeches were marred by terrible amplifier settings).
I got there in time for the Reception, thanks to a great deal of traffic on a road not designed for it. The Main E-W motorway had blocked by an unannounced "incident" of unspecified type).
So it took me 5 hours for a journey normally taking less than half that.

But I'm home, alive and rather tired.
Any coffee left, please ?

With all possible respect, I find it hard to picture you as having a grandmother. Some things, like the Rockies or the Pacific, just are and always have been. Who looks for the grandmother of a typhoon?

See and I can just picture a little boy with dark hair, cut short, and a glint of mischief in his eye. Maybe wearing a striped t-shirt and streaked with dust and dirt from playing outside. :D

See and I can just picture a little boy with dark hair, cut short, and a glint of mischief in his eye. Maybe wearing a striped t-shirt and streaked with dust and dirt from playing outside. :D

Or in the barn with his cousin, if I remember the story right.

Just put apple pie filled cinnamon rolls in oven. We shall see whether it works out. :rolleyes:

ETA: Oh yeah, it worked. :heart:

Sounds yummy!

We've had strangely cooler than the norm weather here this late summer/early fall. Has me in the mood to bake all things apple and pumpkin!
Really considering baking some pumpkin muffins, or bread if I can't find cupcake liners.

We've even started decorating for Halloween :D

I've heard talk of the Mother of all Typhoons but.... ;)

MP, have you been peeking in the family album again?

NW, only the redheaded female cousins. :)

CwM, define cooler temps. It's supposed to stay below 90 next week. Is that cooler enough? Probably not.

Fresh coffee for all the early birds and late birds and just birds. Although most of those probably drink tea. I'm having coffee, sausage and biscuits, and more coffee.

NW, only the redheaded female cousins. :)

CwM, define cooler temps. It's supposed to stay below 90 next week. Is that cooler enough? Probably not.

Fresh coffee for all the early birds and late birds and just birds. Although most of those probably drink tea. I'm having coffee, sausage and biscuits, and more coffee.

Coffee for me please! :D Trying to get back to my hot strong and black I always drank until my trip to Seattle where I fell in love with fancy iced coffees, hehehe

I've lived in the St Louis MO area my whole life. It's not unusual to still have the a/c on into October and even November.
Lately we've had temps in the 80s during the day! That's crazy for us. We could still be seeing 100+ with the heat index here, luckily this year we only had a few of those days.
Anything below 90 is amazing here.

The morning commute -- the same commute I've been driving for 34 years -- took nearly an hour this morning. That was a personal record. It usually takes about 20 minutes, but the time has been creeping up because of heavy traffic. This morning there was an accident on an overpass, and the street was a parking lot for miles.

My coffee was almost gone before I even got to the office.

It's taken a while to recover, but all is well.
And I've managed to 'spruce up' a 'baby sledge' hammer.

Sounds yummy!

We've had strangely cooler than the norm weather here this late summer/early fall. Has me in the mood to bake all things apple and pumpkin!
Really considering baking some pumpkin muffins, or bread if I can't find cupcake liners.

We've even started decorating for Halloween :D
It's never too early. We have a big pumpkin and a burgundy mum so far.

Just my magic mirror. ;)

Magic mirror. Okay, I can go with that but HM &HG might want to have a word with you about Saturday night and the giggling from nowhere. ;)

3k new words on one of the Halloween stories. I love me some bursts of writing when they happen. :)

Fresh coffee for the morning crowd. I'm off to the shower and then to bed.

Good Morning all.
It seems that the "incident" which caused all the traffic confusion on the M62 on Sunday was some poor blighter standing on one of the high bridges threatening to throw himself off.. LEt's hope he (?) learned a lesson and has received treatment.

And now for the Coffee. . . .

Original post moved to correct thread but...

Over the weekend we went to see our youngest daughter and youngest granddaughter in London.

Our usual route was along the M20 but it was closed in both directions for the whole weekend. The recommended diversion routes were so congested that vehicles weren't moving at all for over an hour. Local knowledge helped me to navigate around the congestion but what should have been a two-hour journey took four hours.

On the way back around part of the M25 there was an accident that blocked two out of four lanes. Then there were more accidents in the queue. By the time we reached the rural route to avoid the closed M20, traffic reports said it had been reopened early. We drove past several illuminated signs still saying 'M20 Closed until 6 am' and yes, the M20 WAS open. Even so, the two-hour journey took five hours.

We had chosen the wrong weekend to go to London. :eek:

Last edited:
Well, gonna be a quiet day at home here. We're under a state of emergency due to flooding. Bit inconvenient about work but munchkin's school is closed and I don't feel like venturing out.

Well, gonna be a quiet day at home here. We're under a state of emergency due to flooding. Bit inconvenient about work but munchkin's school is closed and I don't feel like venturing out.

When in doubt, stay home is always good advice. Especially when high water is involved.

This morning was one of those rebel mornings. I didn't feel like cooking and there were left over Oreo's, so....

NW, traffic on my way to work is never bad except occasionally the cat is on the wrong side of the road in the hall leading to the office.

Fresh coffee and kettle are now available for those in need.

Did I hear "fresh coffee" ?
Oh goody; May I have some please ?
It's not been a nice day,

Did I hear "fresh coffee" ?
Oh goody; May I have some please ?
It's not been a nice day,

One coffee coming up.

Some days are like that, I'm afraid.

Here today it is one of those busy as hell and getting nothing done days.

One coffee coming up.

Some days are like that, I'm afraid.

Here today it is one of those busy as hell and getting nothing done days.

It's not been much better here.
But I received a telephone call from a lady who told me about the latest situation with the estate of a late pal of mine; apparently, I may even have some 'expectations'. As the Law tends to move Very Slowly these days (especially 'Probate'), I ain't planning on spending too much just yet.

But I'd love a nice cup of Tea.

This morning, I am following my dream.....

Coffee .... and two hours of writing before I start work! Yesterday I got up way early and managed to get four hours in.

Tomorrow.... who knows? But the coffee will be there :D

funny-good-morning-coffee-quotes-last-night-i-wanted-to-drink-coffee-this-morning-i-am-drinking-300x210.jpg

Back