Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, all these alts give me a headache. At least most of them are recognizable. Still weird holding conversations with persons who suffer from Disassociative Identity Disorders.
 
If you can't discuss things using an agreed upon language in which there are distinctions between art and science, then you end up talking in vague, imprecise terms. The language of science and math is beautiful and I appreciate that it's different from that of art and theology.
I love fractals and have designed many in software environments (the Triforce, if you're a Legend Of Zelda fan, is the simplest fractal form btw). They're beautiful. A sunset or seashell is beautiful. But the origins of that beauty is best described in scientific or mathematical terms and then synthesized and applied to art.
You can't fully appreciate one without the other- but you must first understand each in their own terms.

I'm not sure the distinction is that clear-cut.

Mathematics has more than one language. The one most people think of is the formal language that we use to construct rigorous proofs, etc. etc. But there's also an intuitive/aesthetic component to mathematics, and very often that's what actually drives the work. It gives us a sense of what ought to be true, and what truths are interesting. And then we spend months, years, maybe lifetimes trying to back that up with a rigorous proof, like a painter trying to figure out the right combination of paints and techniques to realise the image in her head.

Paul Erdős used to talk metaphorically about "the Book", where God kept the best proofs for every mathematical theorem. Occasionally when he saw a particularly lovely proof, he'd exclaim "This one is from the Book!" I think that struck a chord with a lot of mathematicians; it certainly did with me.
 
Neymar is a d-bag!!! Come on USA!! Oh wait. We couldn’t even f’ing make the show because we’re d-bags too. :eek:
 
Shit happens.

Our friend's 15-year-old granddaughter died a week ago.

She was Type 1 diabetic but had been managing it reasonably. After three days of retching and reflux she agreed to go to a doctor. She was taken to her doctor who diagnosed a high temperature and an ear infection which were treated with antibiotics. Her mother and grandfather had ensured she had checked her blood sugar levels that morning. They were slightly raised but acceptable.

The doctor did NOT check the blood sugar level.

A few hours after the visit to the doctor she died. The paramedics spent two hours trying to revive her without success. The Police are investigating and have removed all the medication and insulin supplies for tests. After two days they have told the family that there was nothing else the family could have done to prevent the girl's death. An autopsy will take place tomorrow.

The doctor is off work with shock. She didn't expect the death and is blaming herself. Despite the Police assurances, so is the family. Other members of the extended family have lived with Type 1 diabetes for their whole life. They knew what to do but had no hint that the problem was that serious - except in hindsight.

A coroner's inquest will have to be held to find out whether the girl's treatment was adequate and appropriate. Whatever that inquest finds, the family will never stop blaming themselves.
 
Brazil are rock stars at football. I'd be upset as well if I was Neymar. Quite a lot of pressure on him considering Brazil's reputation in FIFA.

There was a time when that was all too true.
I don't think that it is the case these days



Our friend's 15-year-old granddaughter died a week ago.

A coroner's inquest will have to be held to find out whether the girl's treatment was adequate and appropriate. Whatever that inquest finds, the family will never stop blaming themselves.

Now that#s what I call bad.
I didn't realise that diabetes was quite so dangerous.
Sympathy, Ogg.
 
...

Now that#s what I call bad.
I didn't realise that diabetes was quite so dangerous.
Sympathy, Ogg.

My son-in-law's brother, Type 1, died suddenly three years ago in his thirties. He felt unwell, went to the bathroom to be sick, and collapsed. His wife heard him fall down and rushed upstairs. He said to her 'I'm all right, Babe,' and died a few seconds later. The autopsy found no insulin at all in his body yet he had injected a couple of hours earlier.

Type 1 is a killer. Type 2 can kill too but it is usually, but not always, a slow degeneration.

Extract from National UK statistics:

The below table shows the number of deaths registered for those aged 10 - 24 years where the underlying cause was type 1 diabetes mellitus, in England and Wales, 2011 - 2015
Age 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
Total (all ages) 284 279 277 344 339
Aged 10-14 0 0 0 1 1
Aged 15-19 0 0 4 3 2
Aged 20-24 8 2 3 5 5
 
My sympathy on your family's loss, Ogg. I know it doesn't help ease the pain, but physiology is far more complex than the simple mechanical models we try to make of it. Throw that in with the vagaries of medicine production and distribution, and compound it with the medical establishment's propensity to respond first (and second) to the expected, and we begin to understand the unexpected losses.
 
And they can de-crypt it as well. And is it free? Might the users be the products?

I can't help but think of all those security companies who will check to see who has your SSN; all you have to do is give them your SSN. :eek:

It's free. A Grand Jury subpoenaed them, they published the subpoena. One of the accused was using Signal and the only thing on record was when they joined and the last time they logged on. They were hired by Twitter to improve their security but eventually the creator of the app left and started his own encrypted messaging system combining two prototypes.
 
The job I really want is always the job that pays less. Which begs the question, do I want this lower paying job because I can't be arsed to move?

Packing in 100 degree F heat could convince anyone to stay put.
 
The formal language of mathematics is comprised of symbols/formulas that represent concepts- like shorthand. Have you ever seen how they animate, say, the movement of a human body? When you use a program like Maya, you use math to describe how every part moves in relationship to the other, based on proportions and anatomy.

President James Garfield created one of the most concise and accessible proofs for the Pythagorean Theorem (there are many ways to design proofs and algorithms for the same concept or function). President Abraham Lincoln modeled many of his speeches- including The Emancipation Proclamation- on Euclidean geometric proofs (see Abraham Lincoln and the Structure of Reason).

They both studied math on math's terms, and applied those rigorous structures to creative endeavors. Without the language of mathematics, they couldn't begin discussing those things with any precision. They'd just say vague things about a pointy shape with three sides with one long side across from the blocky corner.

I'm not sure the distinction is that clear-cut.

Mathematics has more than one language. The one most people think of is the formal language that we use to construct rigorous proofs, etc. etc. But there's also an intuitive/aesthetic component to mathematics, and very often that's what actually drives the work. It gives us a sense of what ought to be true, and what truths are interesting. And then we spend months, years, maybe lifetimes trying to back that up with a rigorous proof, like a painter trying to figure out the right combination of paints and techniques to realise the image in her head.

Paul Erdős used to talk metaphorically about "the Book", where God kept the best proofs for every mathematical theorem. Occasionally when he saw a particularly lovely proof, he'd exclaim "This one is from the Book!" I think that struck a chord with a lot of mathematicians; it certainly did with me.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top