Picture This Poem Challenge

neonurotic said:
ArcSoft's PhotoStudio (2000v) is probably the best software I've used for lettering on illustrated poems. A lot of hard drives came pre-loaded with it few years ago so you may find free shareware of out there.

Really? I have that with my printer (not 2000, but I have it). I have been unimpressed with Photoshop's lettering capabilities compared to software I've used in the past. It's great for everything else, but lettering would be key for illustrated poems. :D

And now I know your secret, hehe.

Angeline said:
Really? I have that with my printer (not 2000, but I have it). I have been unimpressed with Photoshop's lettering capabilities compared to software I've used in the past. It's great for everything else, but lettering would be key for illustrated poems. :D

And now I know your secret, hehe.
Oh, but my secret was improved due to your little hint. I write big words on a big photo then shrink it. Works fabulous.

So here's the deal Remec. :)

Just get a photo you like and start experimenting with putting the text on there. If you want to do any effects on the photo, change the color, blur it, whatever you do--make sure you're satisfied with the photo before you do any text. Also, save a copy of the photo *without* text so that if you don't like your text efforts and you mess up and save that copy with the same name by mistake, you still have the photo as you wanted it without text. Trust me on this, lol--I've learned it the hard way.

Don't try anything too fancy schmancy at first. You'll find though that the more you do illustrated poems, the better sense you'll get for what pictures work best for them and for how to arrange the text on the picture so that they enhance each other. I think that a really good illustrated poem has that quality--the text and photo work together so that the overall effect is more than either would give alone.

Make sure too that the text font and size you choose are going to work on your finished product--you don't want it too small or large, and you don't want a font that's too light or hard to read on a photo.

And look at neo's illustrated poems--and Wicked Eve's. They're both excellent at this and provide good examples. You can do very creative stuff, too. Look at this example by Linbido.

:rose:

And that's my two cents.

neonurotic said:
Oh, but my secret was improved due to your little hint. I write big words on a big photo then shrink it. Works fabulous.

It's good collaboration. You inspired my Jersey Threat poem when we discussed our respective local vernaculars in that long-ago thread. Remember?

Last edited:
Some more photos

I love the color in this one.

Last edited:
Tristesse said:
I love the smoke one, I was messing with fonts and got distracted.

lol. ;)

there's a whole series of them on that site. want another?

:kiss:

I wish i knew how to do this stuff. I have all kinds of speech balloons i want to put on Angeline's av.

flyguy69 said:
I wish i knew how to do this stuff. I have all kinds of speech balloons i want to put on Angeline's av.

Thank god you don't know how then, lol.

:D

Angeline said:
It's good collaboration. You inspired my Jersey Threat poem when we discussed our respective local vernaculars in that long-ago thread. Remember?
I like how you made your illustrated look like graffiti. I do remember the Jersey Threat poem of yours, although though Cajun's don't threat—you'd find yourself as 'people boudin' for gators instead. ;)

Angeline said:
lol. ;)

there's a whole series of them on that site. want another?

Hey, Ange. Is that the site you once sent me to? If it is could you give me the site once more please - I lost it and it's great.

flyguy69 said:
My screen is plastered with post-its.

That's not what you told me it was plastered with..................

.................never mind.

Angeline said:
Write a music poem.

031802b3.jpg

Back