"One Night in XXX” Story Event: Official Support Thread

Okay, I'll commit to ONE NIGHT IN BISBEE, ARIZONA but I won't commit to when. But maybe an April Fool on the job in a geek's night in Bisbee. Could I submit that story in all four events?

Count me in or I can submit it now. One Night in New York City!

Woo hoo, great! :rose::rose::rose:

Okay, I'll commit to ONE NIGHT IN BISBEE, ARIZONA but I won't commit to when. But maybe an April Fool on the job in a geek's night in Bisbee. Could I submit that story in all four events?

LOL. Whatever you can manage :D

...and I, meanwhile, am out. The muses just weren’t having it.

Arrakis may live on, though. I’m in negotiations with Chloe to take over the Atreides banner and go on to victory.

The Atreides banner will fly high.... Chloe will take it on. Arrakis is too good to let pass.

220px-Chani-Barbora_Kodetov%C3%A1.jpg
200px-House_Atreides_Insignia.jpg

Last edited:
I need a judge's ruling. I just read the "official" rules on the event page Chloe linked to, and this jumped out at me:

"The whole story, start to finish, has to take place over one night"​

My story starts in the late morning, just before lunch. It will end by sunrise the next day, and most of the real action won't start until sundown. I think I remember something similar being sanctioned in a previous post, but I haven't been able to find it.

So is that legal? Or do I need to figure out a way to cram the whole plot into dusk til dawn?

I need a judge's ruling. I just read the "official" rules on the event page Chloe linked to, and this jumped out at me:

"The whole story, start to finish, has to take place over one night"​

My story starts in the late morning, just before lunch. It will end by sunrise the next day, and most of the real action won't start until sundown. I think I remember something similar being sanctioned in a previous post, but I haven't been able to find it.

So is that legal? Or do I need to figure out a way to cram the whole plot into dusk til dawn?

I asked that earlier and Chloe answered that it could start earlier in the day--that hers does.

No excuses!!!!! Write!!!! I want it finished (crack of whip in backround. muted scream....) Or Else! :D

Pfffft! Had some time carved out today to finish, so there! Poughkeepsie has officially been defiled. :) 12,500 words.

Now for the head scratching. I chose to start cruising along with a flirtatious erotic couplings build. Then as soon as the engine heats up, it takes a hard swerve to the right and ends up careening through the land of exhibitionism and voyeurism. After blasting through a wall of reluctance, it goes head first off a cliff into group sex, then tumbles over itself and comes safely to rest in erotic couplings again.
Everyone survives.
I think I'll stick with erotic couplings as the dominant spirit of the thing.

I asked that earlier and Chloe answered that it could start earlier in the day--that hers does.

Thanks Keith. I was pretty sure someone had, I just couldn't find it.

Yes, that's fine. I'm starting mine late afternoon as my heroine rides into Xanadu and I work in some background to how the whole thing came about as she rides in. There's no reason to be be too dogmatic about it as long as it leads into that "one night".

The Rules are actually really simple
1. The story title has to be “One Night in XXX” where XXX is a city or town.
2. The city or town can be real or fictional, but if it’s fictional it has to be in an existing published book or movie.
3. The whole story, start to finish, has to take place over one night...
4. Any subject, any category, any length you like.

If the judge okays cheating, where do we turn?

I read the rule: The whole story, start to finish, has to take place over one night and to me "one night" is sunset to sunrise, maybe squeaking-in twilights. And as I've noted, 'night' can be of varied length in varied places. But going beyond a night, except by brief flashback, is IMHO a violation. But I ain't the judge so who cares?

Other than setting in one real or previously fictional town, I see no limits. Any number of different groups may be fucking that night in that place. One Night in San Luis Obispo could feature defilements in Bubblegum Alley, the Mission, the Madonna Inn, out at Cal Poly, and in cozy downtown apartments.

I've committed to One Night in Bisbee. But that crazy border town of strung-together mining camps comprises several boroughs, each with its own pervs, as well as the huge pit-mine that was a mountain before it was dug out for copper, silver, gold, turquoise, etc. Scenes in town may feature border patrol agents, mojados (wetbacks), self-proclaimed artists, retirees, refugees, lost tourists, creatures from the mountains, paratroopers, beekeepers, rogue miners, patriot vigilantes, film crews and actors, and antique shop clerks.

All of those in one small city in one night, dusk till dawn? Yo!

The relevant qoute:
I think you could start during the day before and go thru to first light.... as long as most of the story is in darkness. My one kicks off later afternoon...

I'm starting sometime late afternoon (around 5 pm I think), and everything before sunset is history, pure set up of the protagonist. Except one phone call launching the main plot, and one innuendo, with still unknown consequences on the sidelines.

Also, have to recheck facts, is my intended sunset scene actually at sunset: it's calendar against working hours of a certain elevator, against story logic and logistics. So maybe it's close, but doesn't actually wait for sun to go under, but it's another breakup anyway, so that's probably okay. And if anything, I can claim unrealistic open hours as period specifics -- it's Rīga in 1995, still in chaos time, just 3 years since the empire of lies died in the war of songs -- almost no claim is too ridiculous for those spacetime coordinates.

If the judge okays cheating, where do we turn?

I read the rule: The whole story, start to finish, has to take place over one night and to me "one night" is sunset to sunrise, maybe squeaking-in twilights. And as I've noted, 'night' can be of varied length in varied places. But going beyond a night, except by brief flashback, is IMHO a violation. But I ain't the judge so who cares?

Well, then, follow your interpretation of that if you like. I take it to mean on one day with emphasis on and ending with what happens that night. Again, these are writing exercises with no competition or comparison or reward. They don't need to be run into the ground with "what ifs?"

Flashbacks are possibly a worse transgression than starting a little early or ending a little late (mine does both). Flashbacks take the story completely out of one night and one place, and they seem like pretty direct rule busters.

Well, then, follow your interpretation of that if you like. I take it to mean on one day with emphasis on and ending with what happens that night. Again, these are writing exercises with no competition or comparison or reward. They don't need to be run into the ground with "what ifs?"

Exactly.

Flashbacks are possibly a worse transgression than starting a little early or ending a little late (mine does both). Flashbacks take the story completely out of one night and one place, and they seem like pretty direct rule busters.

I'd agree on the flashbacks, especially if it's not a fleeting one. A few memories, or something like that that sets the scene for the why and the where was rather what I had in mind. As long as the major emphasis is on the one night...

I don't think anyone should get too hung up on a few sentences of a character remembering something or something like that if that's what it takes to set the scene for the night. It's more of a theme, and as long as everyone approaches it in the spirit in which it's intended, that's fine.

There ain't no judge passing the stories or grading them or saying "rejected". It's up to everyone to make their own call and my guidance is as good (or as bad) as anyone else's here. I'll comment on how I interpret it seeing as I came up with it, but in the end you have to follow your own judgement.

If it's to far off, Laurel probably won't pass it as part of the event, but that's her call and it'd have to be way off base before that happened I think. :D

My own story starts as dusk is approaching and the sun is sinking below the horizon, with some background woven in as to what brought the character to where she is and then it really kicks into the main story... but it's obvious that she's remembering and that it's dusk... Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Damn all you Philadelphia lawyers.

Chloe's gonna be watching us all like a hawk now. I was slipping in a travelogue along with some flashbacks. All in the crapper now. So starting again with 10 words... ;)

Damn all you Philadelphia lawyers.

Chloe's gonna be watching us all like a hawk now. I was slipping in a travelogue along with some flashbacks. All in the crapper now. So starting again with 10 words... ;)

Nah, I'm not watching. :eek: You are all responsible adults. Well, most of you :D - I leave it to you all to judge yourselves. I think the intent's clear and I'm no quibbler over fine details.

Flashbacks, memories, whatever scene setting you need but it should be obvious that's what they are. I don't want to get into laying down rules to that level of detail. Use your best judgement and don't get excessive is all. There's no judges. It's supposed to be fun, not a competition, so don't sweat it.

I mentioned 'brief' flashbacks, i.e. memories. Like how they're in Bisbee because the van broke down last year and they never left -- minimal scene-setting background, not their whole history. But real party animals never rise before sunset anyway. That makes it easy.

I mentioned 'brief' flashbacks, i.e. memories. Like how they're in Bisbee because the van broke down last year and they never left -- minimal scene-setting background, not their whole history. But real party animals never rise before sunset anyway. That makes it easy.

Totally on board with that one. That's more or less my approach, except my brief is maybe not quite as brief as yours :D

I've gotta question:

The plot that took over my head for this event is based on a song. I have the story finished and want to include the lyrics of the song for any reader who might not be familiar with it. Question: I can find the lyrics all over the web and have copied them for part of my intro. I'm ass-umming that so long as I provide the proper credits and copyright info it will be acceptable to include those lyrics in the introduction of the story.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Question: I can find the lyrics all over the web and have copied them for part of my intro. I'm ass-umming that so long as I provide the proper credits and copyright info it will be acceptable to include those lyrics in the introduction of the story.

I don't but I have the same circumstance for a story I'm working on so I'm very curious to learn the answer myself :cool:

I've gotta question:

The plot that took over my head for this event is based on a song. I have the story finished and want to include the lyrics of the song for any reader who might not be familiar with it. Question: I can find the lyrics all over the web and have copied them for part of my intro. I'm ass-umming that so long as I provide the proper credits and copyright info it will be acceptable to include those lyrics in the introduction of the story.

Laurel asked me to pull verses out of a poem I quoted, she wouldn't allow the whole poem. I pulled every second verse, trying to keep as much meaning intent as I could. It sorta kinda lost the intent, though.

Chloe regularly quotes song lyrics, but I don't know if she keeps it below a certain percentage. She'll be along soon to tell you.

Chloe regularly quotes song lyrics, but I don't know if she keeps it below a certain percentage. She'll be along soon to tell you.

I usually quote one or two verses at the start of the story to a maximum of about 8 lines and now and then I'll do the same in the body of the story - and sometimes near the end as well. I don't do copyright but I always do the name of the song and the singer.

Here's an example - "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow"

And here's "Chinese Eyes" where the song went to 12 lines quoted

I think as long as you only do part of the song, you're okay.

Commercially, if you're publishing it, song quotes are not worth all the work and the fees the copyright holders charge to use song lyrics are pure extortion.

I have mosaic-ed copyrighted lyrics into stories. A verse or couplet; a chunk of story; another bit of song; more story; ad infinitum. Not all in one place and maybe not the entire lyric. And my stories are not for sale. I won't dwell on fair use law here but the USA standard four-factor test includes:
* the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
* the nature of the copyrighted work;
* the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
* the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.​
That's law. Laurel has her own rules. Submit!

I've gotta question:

Legally, nope. But as you've seen, it's ignored on the Internet except for those who have deep enough pockets for the lyric owner to go after. But, no, it's not legal to give the full lyrics of a song. There's no legally defensible position on giving any of the lines of lyrics and the song industry is the most litigious one on copyright. That said, mainstream publishers have settled on being safe giving two lines maximum in your work unless, of course, your work is a study of the lyrics of the song, then you can use them all.

But, again, you will get away with it if you do whatever you do with them. The owner won't bother to try to track you down.

I have mosaic-ed copyrighted lyrics into stories. A verse or couplet; a chunk of story; another bit of song; more story; ad infinitum. Not all in one place and maybe not the entire lyric. And my stories are not for sale. I won't dwell on fair use law here but the USA standard four-factor test includes:
* the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
* the nature of the copyrighted work;
* the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
* the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.​
That's law. Laurel has her own rules. Submit!

The kicker is that you wouldn't find a court in the United States that would consider a free-use erotica story site as nonprofit educational purposes. First, neither you nor the Web site would be safe in court in terms of "educational purposes," and, on the other criterium, you might not be making a profit, but the Web site is. I don't think Laurel and Manu have ever tracked down a knowledgeable entertainment lawyer to give them the news on how massively copyright is violated at Literotica every day. Not that anyone is revving up to take them to court.

Back